• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:04
CEST 13:04
KST 20:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11768 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 7

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 41 Next All
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 21 2010 15:55 GMT
#121
On August 21 2010 22:52 shrinkmaster wrote:
Would love to see additional replays of this style against mid-diamond and higher players. Especially if they survive the first push.


I edited the OP with 4 replays from yesterday where the game goes long. =D Not the highest quality of replays, but it gives a good idea how the game goes if the rush succeeds a little or just fails outright.
Magnebula
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8 Posts
August 21 2010 16:40 GMT
#122
Here are 2 of my replays. We are both mid Diamond players, nothing extraordinary. My friend usually plays Terran, and he is looking to get his PvZ game up.

First replays goes by the standard build, second a little differently. I scout zealot pressure and have to delay my roaches temporarily.

[image loading]

[image loading]

Any advice/comments welcome
barrykp
Profile Joined August 2010
Ireland174 Posts
August 21 2010 17:29 GMT
#123
I watched all the replays and tried this build in 9 games, losing 2, both against 2 gate. I'm a gold league player so I guess my roach micro sucks, but I have to say neither game was even close - the protoss just had many many zealots. Perhaps I should give up on the first assault when I see the 2 gate.

Other than that I really like it. I have to say it's quite nice to be the one piling on the early pressure.
Lecture me some more on how to play please; I need help.
Vexx
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States462 Posts
August 21 2010 17:37 GMT
#124
On August 22 2010 02:29 barrykp wrote:
I watched all the replays and tried this build in 9 games, losing 2, both against 2 gate. I'm a gold league player so I guess my roach micro sucks, but I have to say neither game was even close - the protoss just had many many zealots. Perhaps I should give up on the first assault when I see the 2 gate.

Other than that I really like it. I have to say it's quite nice to be the one piling on the early pressure.


I'm confused as to why you would have trouble against zealots with this build.
I am not nice.
barrykp
Profile Joined August 2010
Ireland174 Posts
August 21 2010 17:46 GMT
#125
did I not mention I suck? each time when I pushed with 5 roaches + 2 lings they got annihilated by a lot of zealots
Lecture me some more on how to play please; I need help.
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 21 2010 17:52 GMT
#126
On August 22 2010 01:40 Magnebula wrote:
Here are 2 of my replays. We are both mid Diamond players, nothing extraordinary. My friend usually plays Terran, and he is looking to get his PvZ game up.

First replays goes by the standard build, second a little differently. I scout zealot pressure and have to delay my roaches temporarily.

[image loading]

[image loading]

Any advice/comments welcome



Thanks for the replays!

Game 1: Your macro is good, but you tech to lair way too early. Need to work on your unit control, especially your zergling surrounds. Right-click past your target, then when the target is engulfed you hit stop or attack-move. The early spine crawler simply isn't necessary.

Game 2: Your roach warren completes like 1 second after you start making a ton of zerglings. >< If you stuck to the original plan this game is over immediately as he's so invested in zealots. Same problem in G2 as in G1: you tech to lair and get your second gas way too soon. Then when you have him on the ropes, you stop the pressure for some reason. Didn't watch after minute 16, but there weren't enough drones made either especially considering you killed so many in your attack.

5RR AGAINST A 2-GATE

The 2-gate zealots will get to your base just before the roaches are done (depending on the map and positions), but after your roaches are complete it's a one-sided ass kicking. You have to stall for about 10 seconds. Just run away if nothing else. The zealots can't catch your queen or drones, and they can't take down an important building in that time either.
Cloud295
Profile Joined August 2010
United States9 Posts
August 21 2010 18:45 GMT
#127
I love you, OP, for posting this build.
"Be not like dumb, driven cattle! Be a hero in the strife!" - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
f0rk
Profile Joined March 2010
England172 Posts
August 21 2010 19:15 GMT
#128
Do you have any more T reps? I tried this for 2 games, the protoss one went really well against 1 gate cyber opening. The other was against T, and I didn't pull it off right but he opened with 2 raxes and I didnt really do much on the attack. Then my transition was really bad and I didnt build enough army for his bio tank push.
I'm wonder if I failed or the build works more against P.
Thanks a lot for posting it, I need these kind of aggressive openings to improve my game I think.
Ragnar4
Profile Joined May 2010
United States64 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-21 19:18:57
August 21 2010 19:17 GMT
#129
On August 22 2010 02:46 barrykp wrote:
did I not mention I suck? each time when I pushed with 5 roaches + 2 lings they got annihilated by a lot of zealots


To kill Zealots with roaches.

Find your H key. Make sure that it's still bound to your "hold" hot key binding.

run away from the zealots with your roaches, then hit H, fire once, then run away again. Let's say the fire cooldown is 1.5 seconds ( I have no idea) run for 1.49 seconds, hit H, then KEEP RUNNING. You will kill infinite zealots with 5 roaches with this micro. Learn it, love it, live it.

-edit

If he chooses to ignore your roaches, dance back and forth, shoot back away, move forward shoot, back away, move forwards etc etc. Soon as he gives chase.. go back to using the H key as your "fire key" while running away.



If actions speak louder than words: Why is it when the two contradict, everyone comes back to what I said?
mrgoldenbrown
Profile Joined August 2010
20 Posts
August 21 2010 19:26 GMT
#130
Looks like a great build I want to try out. I support you in the face of people claiming it would only work on crappy opponents, they clearly can't read that you are facing diamond players with this. However, I am a relative SC newb, and am just working my way into silver. at this level, there are a lot of wall ins that involve lots of cannons or bunkers. Is the correct response to that using this build to just back off, power drones, and try to outmacro them? Or do I try to break thru before they can tech up and come at me with rays or banshees?
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 21 2010 19:51 GMT
#131
On August 22 2010 04:26 mrgoldenbrown wrote:
Looks like a great build I want to try out. I support you in the face of people claiming it would only work on crappy opponents, they clearly can't read that you are facing diamond players with this. However, I am a relative SC newb, and am just working my way into silver. at this level, there are a lot of wall ins that involve lots of cannons or bunkers. Is the correct response to that using this build to just back off, power drones, and try to outmacro them? Or do I try to break thru before they can tech up and come at me with rays or banshees?


If your early zerglings spot 1-base cannons/bunkers, just power-drone. It's when your opponent tries to fast expand with cannons/bunkers where you'll want to rush. By rushing into their cannons, you actually make their strategy correct because their cannons are getting use. But by making more workers and expanding, their static defense actually hurts them because they can't punish you.
delaharl
Profile Joined August 2010
Philippines5 Posts
August 21 2010 20:05 GMT
#132
If your early zerglings spot 1-base cannons/bunkers, just power-drone.


Man, I wish I knew that before I finished my assesment. I still won, but yeah, using 5RR against bunkers did not work. Was able to get through, but my zerglings came in too late.

But the thing w/ this build was its definitely not an all in. I was still able to expand and amass a few more units, Won via backdoor by getting some roaches on the rocks and finishing off w/ mass muta.

Thanks Fistdantilus. This build is great.
Magnebula
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8 Posts
August 21 2010 20:11 GMT
#133
On August 22 2010 02:52 Fistdantilus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2010 01:40 Magnebula wrote:
Here are 2 of my replays. We are both mid Diamond players, nothing extraordinary. My friend usually plays Terran, and he is looking to get his PvZ game up.

First replays goes by the standard build, second a little differently. I scout zealot pressure and have to delay my roaches temporarily.

[image loading]

[image loading]

Any advice/comments welcome



Thanks for the replays!

Game 1: Your macro is good, but you tech to lair way too early. Need to work on your unit control, especially your zergling surrounds. Right-click past your target, then when the target is engulfed you hit stop or attack-move. The early spine crawler simply isn't necessary.

Game 2: Your roach warren completes like 1 second after you start making a ton of zerglings. >< If you stuck to the original plan this game is over immediately as he's so invested in zealots. Same problem in G2 as in G1: you tech to lair and get your second gas way too soon. Then when you have him on the ropes, you stop the pressure for some reason. Didn't watch after minute 16, but there weren't enough drones made either especially considering you killed so many in your attack.

5RR AGAINST A 2-GATE

The 2-gate zealots will get to your base just before the roaches are done (depending on the map and positions), but after your roaches are complete it's a one-sided ass kicking. You have to stall for about 10 seconds. Just run away if nothing else. The zealots can't catch your queen or drones, and they can't take down an important building in that time either.


My main problem is, and as dumb as it may sound (since its the whole point of this build...), is remembering to drop the roach warren on time, especially if I'm tied up making sure their scout is gone/dead. i built that spine in game 1 because i thought he was going to try to counter (he likes to play that way). As for game 2, He had quite a few stalkers and I figured at that point, with the cannons, I wouldnt be able to break through again so I teched. I shouldn't have left that one pylon up, but I did and it kept the game going. I did realize I didn't have enough drones and just pumped out more. Mass mutas and harass followed, leading to a win.

I never know when its a good time to tech to lair, or when to grab my 2nd gas.
Linkdx
Profile Joined August 2010
36 Posts
August 21 2010 20:22 GMT
#134
in ZvZ do the roaches get out before banelings get to your ramp on a map such as close positions metalopolis?
XXXSmOke
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1333 Posts
August 21 2010 20:33 GMT
#135
For all the people scrutinizing this build watch



I dont know if Idra followed the exact BO but the unit composition early roach rush is definately there.

As a T this is the new strats that are giving me hell
Emperor? Boxer disapproves. He's building bunkers at your mom's house even as you're reading this.
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-21 20:54:59
August 21 2010 20:54 GMT
#136
On August 22 2010 05:33 XXXSmOke wrote:

I dont know if Idra followed the exact BO but the unit composition early roach rush is definately there.

As a T this is the new strats that are giving me hell


No, the BO wasn't even close to this. IdrA does later roaches only because he sees that Tarson really doesn't want to transition out of reapers. Roaches are only good en masse when Terran strays into really imbalanced compositions like pure hellions or pure reapers.

Right now it looks like mass reapers are in fashion at the top.
vizniz
Profile Joined May 2010
United States120 Posts
August 21 2010 22:19 GMT
#137
Just tried it.

Replay:

[image loading]

Worked well for me. Platinum level. Could be even better if i had better macro.
SC2/LoL/Steam: vizniz LoL smurf: visnistehsmurf
DeltruS
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2214 Posts
August 21 2010 22:30 GMT
#138
What do I do if I am using this build and he 4 gates into mass stalkers + a few zealots? Do I just have to macro perfectly and put up a few spine crawlers?
http://grooveshark.com/#/deltrus/music
DeltruS
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2214 Posts
August 21 2010 22:32 GMT
#139
On August 22 2010 05:22 Linkdx wrote:
in ZvZ do the roaches get out before banelings get to your ramp on a map such as close positions metalopolis?


Not even close. The 12 hatch roach in the liquipedia is better is you want really early roaches.
http://grooveshark.com/#/deltrus/music
barrykp
Profile Joined August 2010
Ireland174 Posts
August 21 2010 22:32 GMT
#140
Well after maybe 20 games trying this I got promoted to platinum! I guess I should be pleased, although the build perhaps deserves more credit than I do. Anyway kudos for coming up with it
Lecture me some more on how to play please; I need help.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings99
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko188
ProTech132
SHIN 54
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 1206
Mind 975
Shuttle 887
Bisu 761
Larva 608
Mini 173
EffOrt 121
Soma 121
Leta 105
Last 97
[ Show more ]
Britney 94
Zeus 90
Hyun 79
ZerO 62
Pusan 59
Sexy 49
sorry 43
PianO 41
Trap 40
Hm[arnc] 39
Killer 33
Bale 30
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 18
hero 13
yabsab 12
Sacsri 11
Noble 8
JulyZerg 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe621
XaKoH 459
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1439
Other Games
gofns34610
singsing2272
crisheroes293
B2W.Neo252
OGKoka 201
Mew2King125
ArmadaUGS71
Livibee54
ZerO(Twitch)5
DeMusliM2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream181
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 69
• Gemini_19 23
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8444
League of Legends
• Jankos1416
• Stunt848
Other Games
• WagamamaTV9
Upcoming Events
FEL
4h 56m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 56m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 56m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 56m
INu's Battles
1d
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.