• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:37
CEST 03:37
KST 10:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9061 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 41 Next All
WarChimp
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Australia943 Posts
August 21 2010 01:56 GMT
#101
I am interested to see some more replays, this build is really interesting and people seem to be getting some good results with it. Cannot wait till more replays are posted.
claricorp
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada142 Posts
August 21 2010 02:07 GMT
#102
this was fairly similar to my 12 pool roach, build which i posted up before. It wasnt very refined or correct yet, but you have a build thats similar and seems effective.

when i was testing my old build(12 pool roach) i found that it would absolutely destroy terran 1/1/1 builds since they simply couldnt have enough strong counters to roaches out in time. Though the great thing about roaches is there fantastic ability to simply hold the line, especially with a small spattering of ranged support. My build was based more on using the roaches to get an early expansion up quite safely while under pressure from barracks pushes, hellions, zealot stalker combos and all manner of zergling, baneling or roach combinations another zerg player is using.
brinbran
Profile Joined September 2008
United States52 Posts
August 21 2010 02:10 GMT
#103
good build, been using something like this once in a while. You can't use it on certain maps though like kulas, or some cross positions.
"What do you want?"
DeltruS
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2214 Posts
August 21 2010 02:23 GMT
#104
Lol... I used this to give me a small boost from rank 6 plat to rank 40 diamond. Now the protoss tend to get 2 fast stalkers + wall off, making this build much worse. Still, it can put on some pressure; a rare thing for most zerg builds.
http://grooveshark.com/#/deltrus/music
phfantunes
Profile Joined April 2010
Brazil170 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-21 02:43:08
August 21 2010 02:42 GMT
#105
I'm definetly going to try this, Roach openings have been my dream since the huge nerf bat hit them plus I'm sick of the usual 14-gas 14-pool stuff.

You seem to have a reasonable number of losses, can you say what caused most of them if they're related to the build? Was it poor transition out of this opening, a certain counter attack, a specific opening, cheese, whatever?
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
August 21 2010 02:48 GMT
#106
I really appreciate your work on this OP.

These builds get hell from people who shouldn't be talking shit. I'll give it a shot and TYVM for sharing.
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
Mindspider
Profile Joined August 2010
91 Posts
August 21 2010 04:22 GMT
#107
Tried the build a couple of games, and I've had a lot of success as a low-level diamond. I can also say that this opening has been fantastic in 2v2 - me and a fellow zerg both do it together, and it has crushed everyone we've come against. 10 roaches that early in the game is a total wrecking ball, and can deal damage where ling openings would not.
WCH
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada239 Posts
August 21 2010 04:48 GMT
#108
IMO, this is just a standard build against a 2 gate opening. You need roaches to defend the early zealot pressure but then the protoss pretty much got what he wanted so I don't see how this helps. Against terrans, if they just wall off with buildings other than supply depots it pretty much shuts this down.
kmillz
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1548 Posts
August 21 2010 05:02 GMT
#109
The people bashing this either haven't watched the replays or read everything you said. This seems pretty legit to me.
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-21 05:35:05
August 21 2010 05:32 GMT
#110
Dunno why but it seems like us players are worse than europeans. 800 diamond ? come on T_T
I guess it's meaningless once again (blizzard and their shitty casual ladders...).
Tried it like 3 times, worked on 2 of them but that was pure luck + my experience on bw helped to outmacro them. Will have to try it again tomorrow cauz i've some doubts about its succesfulness. Especially compared to a classic speedling build (assuming we don't put pressure obv).

Edit : forgot to mention that 2 times my opponent saw my roach warren successfully because he abused the offcreep.
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
Zerokaiser
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada885 Posts
August 21 2010 06:22 GMT
#111
Perhaps this works better in Diamond than in Platinum and Gold...Everybody does cheesy shit <Diamond
Lanaia is love.
Vexx
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States462 Posts
August 21 2010 06:35 GMT
#112
I found this thread last night at 3am and even though I had to go to bed, I was hooked. I even installed SC2 on my laptop just to watch the replays in bed. Got a chance to try it out tonight in mid diamond and it served me well 4-0. In 2 of the games it was a straight victory.

Stories of both games where my intial attack didn't quite win me the game but I was able to adapt and still win:
+ Show Spoiler +
In one of the other games, a terran opened reapers and blocked his ramp with rax + tech lab and factory. I used the roaches on the tech lab but he repaired so I sniped the 2 scvs. He had 1 maurauder and 1 hellion + 1 reaper trying to hold the fort. He brought more scvs which I got as well. Off that initial attempt, I didn't break in but I killed ~5 scvs, a marauder and a hellion. I had my speedlings ready but with no opening I was not sure how to proceed off my "failed" opener. I dropped a baneling nest, popped the tech lab and then rallied the lings in for the victory.

The other close game was vs a P who went 1 gate with 2 zealots, 1 stalker and early warpgate. He warped in 2 more zealots while my roaches did work which died easily. As my lings run in to his mineral line to secure the game, out of nowhere a void ray strolls in and ends my push. I killed all his units and most of his probes so I rallied more lings for the win but they were only able to kill a few more probes before a zealot and 2 void rays cleaned up. From that point, my expo was shut down by the void rays so I had to build queens, drop crawlers and tech to hydras. Once I had a few, I nydused in and that's all she wrote.


Thanks a lot OP. I am very impressed with this build and it has made playing Z a lot more fun as it's an alternative build to apply early pressure beyond just doing a baneling bust. I would love to try it against zergs but I'm terrified that speedlings will catch my roaches out in the open or they will just wait for me to leave my base to rape my mineral line.
I am not nice.
shrinkmaster
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany947 Posts
August 21 2010 13:52 GMT
#113
Would love to see additional replays of this style against mid-diamond and higher players. Especially if they survive the first push.
Voltaire: The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it.
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 21 2010 14:48 GMT
#114
On August 21 2010 09:16 Fumble wrote:
I like this build and will definately give it a shot. Can you give us any further insights on which maps this build works particularly good in or which maps this build is unusable?


Completely unusable on DO as roaches are just too slow. However, you can turn it into a baneling bust. Simply make a baneling nest instead of roach warren and go for it.

The 5RR is great wherever there's destructible rocks: BS, SS, KR. On KR, you do have to make a few more roaches to get through both layers of rock in a timely manner.

Cross positions on M/KR aren't great, but I have done it anyway and won. I love the 5RR on LT as your opponent often tries to fast expand or fast tech to air.
Chunkybuddha
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada347 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-21 15:14:46
August 21 2010 15:06 GMT
#115
Lots of ppls do this :D Not to take your thunder, they don't do it like you. This is an excellent thread and nice format. This is response only to TvZ, I didn't watch any ZvP reps. I usually open 8 rax turbo raper, forcing you to make some zerglings, or else you die your drones; also this helps me scout zerg later too for muta or hydra tech. Queen doesn't do shit against someone decent, especially when I get nitro boost on my first reaper. Even if you manage to hold me off without zerglings + no speed, and leave a roach behind for reaper harass, I have had more than enough time to make my 1-2 mara to hold my wall.

Or I could just do what you do, and rush maras as soon as I see a roach warren. Sorry, but I will have the correct amount of men to kill you every time.

700+ diamond.

edit: If Terran went 12 reaper, he would lose more than likely.
USER WAS SEXUALLY ABUSED FOR THIS POST.
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 21 2010 15:28 GMT
#116
On August 21 2010 11:42 phfantunes wrote:
I'm definetly going to try this, Roach openings have been my dream since the huge nerf bat hit them plus I'm sick of the usual 14-gas 14-pool stuff.

You seem to have a reasonable number of losses, can you say what caused most of them if they're related to the build? Was it poor transition out of this opening, a certain counter attack, a specific opening, cheese, whatever?


3 reasons why my win percentage sucks:

1) Up until last week, one third of all my games ended in a disconnect. Got my interwebs fixed last week (apparently bad wiring was the cause), and now I haven't had a disconnect since.

2) I had the beta for 1 day. So I was trying things like mass roach vs bio-ball, I never tech'ed to T3 in my first 150 games (not kidding!), etc. Not to mention that I didn't know any of the hotkeys, injection techniques, etc. A lot of the better people with the nice winrates got their stupid losses out of the way a long time ago in beta.

3) I'm not that good! =)
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 21 2010 15:31 GMT
#117
On August 21 2010 13:22 Mindspider wrote:
Tried the build a couple of games, and I've had a lot of success as a low-level diamond. I can also say that this opening has been fantastic in 2v2 - me and a fellow zerg both do it together, and it has crushed everyone we've come against. 10 roaches that early in the game is a total wrecking ball, and can deal damage where ling openings would not.


NICE! It's good to see 2v2 applications instead of double 6-pool all the time for Z.
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 21 2010 15:36 GMT
#118
On August 21 2010 15:35 Vexx wrote:
I found this thread last night at 3am and even though I had to go to bed, I was hooked. I even installed SC2 on my laptop just to watch the replays in bed. Got a chance to try it out tonight in mid diamond and it served me well 4-0. In 2 of the games it was a straight victory.

Thanks a lot OP. I am very impressed with this build and it has made playing Z a lot more fun as it's an alternative build to apply early pressure beyond just doing a baneling bust. I would love to try it against zergs but I'm terrified that speedlings will catch my roaches out in the open or they will just wait for me to leave my base to rape my mineral line.


I'm glad you tried it, glad you like it!

It is nice having an opening that can just win sometimes.

I actually have never tried it vs Z, and I'm not confident it would work as written. I think you'd just have to keep pumping roaches as he'll most likely have banelings. Plus, there's the very real problem you mention of the ling run-by.
Psyclon
Profile Joined July 2010
Bulgaria2443 Posts
August 21 2010 15:44 GMT
#119
I tried it last night - i won 6 of 7 games in under 8 minutes. I admit, it was in custom and the opponents were not that good. The only time i lost was against a top diamond protoss, and again i could have won, but i spent too much time killing his front gateway, so he managed to make a really well placed cannon in his main. I will definitely try it in ladder.
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds!
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 21 2010 15:48 GMT
#120
On August 22 2010 00:06 Chunkybuddha wrote:
Lots of ppls do this :D Not to take your thunder, they don't do it like you. This is an excellent thread and nice format. This is response only to TvZ, I didn't watch any ZvP reps. I usually open 8 rax turbo raper, forcing you to make some zerglings, or else you die your drones; also this helps me scout zerg later too for muta or hydra tech. Queen doesn't do shit against someone decent, especially when I get nitro boost on my first reaper. Even if you manage to hold me off without zerglings + no speed, and leave a roach behind for reaper harass, I have had more than enough time to make my 1-2 mara to hold my wall.

Or I could just do what you do, and rush maras as soon as I see a roach warren. Sorry, but I will have the correct amount of men to kill you every time.

700+ diamond.

edit: If Terran went 12 reaper, he would lose more than likely.


I'm not claiming to be the first to think of this.
I'm not claiming this is the fastest build.
I'm not claiming this is the best build.

I am saying that until the 5RR I haven't seen consistent and robust build orders: it was either all-in or nothing. This build is a happy balance.

Regarding 8-rax-reaper: I believe you when you say you'll have marauders out by the time the rush gets there. With the reapers you'll definitely see the roach warren. However, you really won't deal significant damage to my economy with 2 roaches and a queen hanging around. In fact, by going 8RR you're doing the economic damage to yourself so I don't even need to get in there. You're going to be behind in workers, and I'll have an expansion and be happily on the way to lair.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 51
NaDa 24
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm230
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9362
JimRising 744
ViBE149
ArmadaUGS97
Mew2King91
Trikslyr31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1302
BasetradeTV168
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream117
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 114
• davetesta55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 23m
INu's Battles
10h 23m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 23m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 23m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 23m
Replay Cast
21h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.