• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:50
CEST 21:50
KST 04:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7370 users

[M] (2) Crux Frost

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Normal
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-30 01:22:52
February 24 2013 10:08 GMT
#1
[image loading]


CruX Frost


TLMC #2 Winner! | Used in RSL gNations | Used in RSL V | Used in MLG Anaheim 2013 | Used in Red Bull Training Grounds #1


Overview :
[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Angled Overview] +
[image loading]


Bases :
+ Show Spoiler +

Main
[image loading]


Natural Expansion
[image loading]


Third Vulnerable to Ground Harass
[image loading]


Third Vulnerable to Air Harass
[image loading]]




Aesthetics :
+ Show Spoiler +

Bridge
[image loading]




Map Name : CruX Frost

Tileset : Zhakul'Das, Niflheim, Kaldir, Typhon

Size : 154x154

Suggested Players : 2 Players for 1v1, 4 players for FFA

Amount Of Resources :

Main : 8m 2g (1 o'clock 5 o'clock 7 o'clock 11 o'clock)
Natural : 8m 2g (4 of them)
Third : 8m 2g (8 of them)

Version : 1.1


Concept And History :

A Frosty Forest

Created by Semmo

teamcrux.tistory.com
ksunwoo6@naver.com
Twitter: @CruxSemmo

Type :

Strategy, Macro-Oriented

Comments :

Hi, I'm Semmo. Hope you enjoy!

ALL SPAWNS ENABLED

VODs
+ Show Spoiler +
Red Bull Battlegrounds

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7y8LOYRrE









RSL

+ Show Spoiler +


Replays:
+ Show Spoiler +
Thorzain vs Kawaiirice
Huk vs Sasquatch
Sage vs Kawaiirice
Theognis vs Phog
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12057 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-24 10:57:50
February 24 2013 10:57 GMT
#2
A crux map without a super easy to take third/fourth, I think I'm in heaven!

I love the design of the map, the textures you've used and also the layout. It's nice to see another 4 player map too, there's been a lot of 2 player maps recently.

One of my favourite features is the back path that connects both the third base areas.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
Fearlezz
Profile Joined April 2010
Croatia176 Posts
February 24 2013 11:05 GMT
#3
Reminded me of Frigid Pass somewhat at first, but looks like it plays out very differently after taking a second look. Will have to give this one a try, liking it so far.
ScorpSCII
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark499 Posts
February 24 2013 11:45 GMT
#4
Congratulations on getting into Crux
Mapmaker | Author of Atlas, Rao Mesa & Paralda
Sumadin
Profile Joined August 2011
Denmark588 Posts
February 24 2013 11:46 GMT
#5
Wow this map is HUGE. I like the way the thirds are set up so that you always got an option away from your opponent.

Is the destructable debris still not avaliable in the editor since you go with depots? Or is there another reason?

I like the back paths, but i am not sure about the decision to make them curved like that.
The basic key to beating a priest is playing a deck that is terrible.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
February 24 2013 16:13 GMT
#6
On February 24 2013 20:45 ScorpSCII wrote:
Congratulations on getting into Crux

This.

Although, the main and nat look uncomfortably narrow, the natural specifically. On the other hand, I quite like the unorthodox expansion pattern, especially in late-game scenarios. This map definitely has a BW look and feel to it.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
February 24 2013 17:13 GMT
#7
my what a big map you have
starleague forever
Insomni7
Profile Joined June 2011
667 Posts
February 24 2013 17:44 GMT
#8
Are all spawns enabled? Even horizontal? If so, this map has the potential to play very interestingly. I like it.
Never Forget.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
February 24 2013 18:33 GMT
#9
I've always liked the design of this map, from when you showed me about 6 months ago. Great progress, especially in the aesthetic department.

The layout requires the map to be large- 152x152 is perfectly fine. Any smaller and distances would get short in vertical, especially at 3 bases with a TvX. All spawn positions will work nicely, and it's not linear!

Great example of how to use "wasted space" correctly. The dead space is crucial to making the distances long enough and preventing tanking of the natural. I hope we get to see the map in action.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
nomyx
Profile Joined June 2012
United States2205 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-24 19:50:20
February 24 2013 19:48 GMT
#10
Sexy looking map.

I'm curious though, can widow mines kill workers at the third (on the cliff above it)? I'll guess I'll try it out.

As a terran player this maps looks very sexy.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
February 24 2013 22:08 GMT
#11
On February 25 2013 03:33 monitor wrote:
I've always liked the design of this map, from when you showed me about 6 months ago. Great progress, especially in the aesthetic department.

The layout requires the map to be large- 152x152 is perfectly fine. Any smaller and distances would get short in vertical, especially at 3 bases with a TvX. All spawn positions will work nicely, and it's not linear!

Great example of how to use "wasted space" correctly. The dead space is crucial to making the distances long enough and preventing tanking of the natural. I hope we get to see the map in action.

Yep!

I wish it was smaller but it can't really be done. Huge aesthetics improvement. Still needs more detail work and a bit of technique, imo, but it still looks nice.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
February 24 2013 23:24 GMT
#12
- Is it just me or do the main/nat seem incredibly cramped?

- The cross-spawns seem like the least interesting spawns by far, and I wouldn't want to get them if I played the map. The XNTs are just so strong in those spawns, unlike the other spawns where they aren't quite as powerful. The reason - if you want to use the paths that circumvent the tower vision, you have to go much farther if it's cross spawn, so it's much more dangerous and less likely to happen.

Other than those 2 quibbles I like the map, aesthetics and layout are both pretty good.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
February 25 2013 00:05 GMT
#13
On February 25 2013 02:13 a176 wrote:
my what a big map you have

The crux is strong with this one.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
February 25 2013 00:41 GMT
#14
The map size is completely reasonable for this layout. Anything smaller would make the distances between bases too close.

I'm especially interested in how games unfold if the players spawn horizontally from one another.

eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
February 25 2013 01:22 GMT
#15
Congrats in getting into Crux! <3

I'd probably like to agree with most of the feedback so far and say that the natural does look a little bit too cramped.

On February 24 2013 20:46 Sumadin wrote:
Is the destructable debris still not avaliable in the editor since you go with depots? Or is there another reason?

I like the back paths, but i am not sure about the decision to make them curved like that.


If i recall correctly then when people right click banelings on the unbuildable plates/rocks then they detonate on them, whereas with neutral supply depots they do not. That might be a reason some people may still use depots. Also, i think this map is on WOL, not HOTS, which could be the other reason!

Now, for my own feedbck. And it's mostly aesthetics stuff.

The texturing is a little sloppy in some places and I think the grass could be refined a little better, I also feel that the manmade textures look a little out of place.
There are crystal doodads scattered near the naturals and vertical thirds but not much near anywhere else.
There is one chasm with fire below but not the others, I think it might be nice if there were fire in the other ones too, it makes a nice contrast to the tileset (atleast in-game, not on the overview!).

As for the layout is there any reasoning behind having those bridges that connect the quarters of the map shifted? On the top middle of the map an army going across that bridge the defending player on the right is going to get a much better concave (the path isnt on the edge of the playable area) whereas on the other hand the defending player on the left gets a slightly smaller concave. Not sure if it would have any effect on gameplay just thought it would be interesting to mention.
Retired Mapmaker™
bduddy
Profile Joined May 2012
United States1326 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-08 16:57:11
February 25 2013 02:05 GMT
#16
OK, seriously, why are all Crux members putting (2) after their 4-spawn maps? This annoys me to a highly unreasonable degree, argh.

Err, the map... I really like the layout of the bases. The middle just seems really huge... maybe it's "necessary" for certain matchups, but couldn't there at least be some more terrain there or something? It's just flat ground with a hole in the middle...
>Liquid'Nazgul: Of course you are completely right
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-25 03:46:21
February 25 2013 03:43 GMT
#17
On February 25 2013 11:05 bduddy wrote:
OK, seriously, why are all Crux members putting (2) after their 4-spawn maps? This annoys me to a highly unreasonable degree, argh.


I'm reasonably sure that the number in brackets is normally the suggested players, in this case it's a 1v1 map or "2p" map. If he intended this to be a 2v2 map he would have put (4).

That's how I've always seen it anyway.

Edit: though there are other people who like to put (4) instead, not sure which way was the correct format all this time.
Retired Mapmaker™
MasterOfPuppets
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Romania6942 Posts
February 25 2013 06:04 GMT
#18
On February 25 2013 12:43 eTcetRa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2013 11:05 bduddy wrote:
OK, seriously, why are all Crux members putting (2) after their 4-spawn maps? This annoys me to a highly unreasonable degree, argh.


I'm reasonably sure that the number in brackets is normally the suggested players, in this case it's a 1v1 map or "2p" map. If he intended this to be a 2v2 map he would have put (4).

That's how I've always seen it anyway.

Edit: though there are other people who like to put (4) instead, not sure which way was the correct format all this time.


The number in brackets represents the number of available spawn locations. For instance, Lost Temple had (4) despite being primarily a 1v1 map. It's not the suggested players as much as it is the highest possible amount of players. ^^

Also this map looks really gnarly. I wish TL (or anyone else, really) would run another community map tournament, I would love to see some pros play on this! Good job!

"my shaft scares me too" - strenx 2014
KingCorwin
Profile Joined February 2013
United States134 Posts
February 26 2013 03:57 GMT
#19
i love the path behind the third bases
Corwin#12780
Carsten69
Profile Joined October 2012
3 Posts
February 26 2013 04:15 GMT
#20
Very similar to another map.. Don't recall the name.. The one with ultras blocking forcefields on narrow ramps, but you made that one aswell, right? So I guess this is the spiritual successor to that one.

Anyway, it's good to see some four player/spawn mirror maps, too often they seem to be neglected in favor of the rotational ones (which really is beyond me ('perfect' balance and what not).

The only minor concern I have is that in horizontal spawns if you expand vertically the fourth seems really far away. But I suppose this might be less of a deal than I make it out to be in my head.
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10567 Posts
February 26 2013 04:18 GMT
#21
THIS AINT NO FOREST SON!

pretty solid map. i like the connecting bridges.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-15 01:20:57
May 22 2013 15:47 GMT
#22
-
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
May 22 2013 15:51 GMT
#23
If this map doesn't win top 2 I will do something very bad.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-15 04:13:44
June 08 2013 03:03 GMT
#24
Frost is the winner of TLMC 2! It is also used in RSL gNations and RSL V, and MLG!

New Update:

Overview :
[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Angled Overview] +
[image loading]


Changelog :
- Removed Watchtowers.
- Removed the LOS Blockers around the Watchtowers.
- Updated Cliff to HotS Ulaan Cliff
- Updated Rock to HotS Rock
- Updated Neutral Supply Depot to Unbuildable Rock
- Updated Snow Texture to Kaldir Snow.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Belha
Profile Joined December 2010
Italy2850 Posts
June 15 2013 04:02 GMT
#25
I would love to see this map with slightly shorter rush distance to 3rds.
Anyways, grats for the win!
Chicken gank op
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
June 15 2013 04:57 GMT
#26
What is that green ball with gold around at the right bottom?
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
June 15 2013 05:30 GMT
#27
On June 15 2013 13:57 Existor wrote:
What is that green ball with gold around at the right bottom?


:D Maybe you'll catch it on MLG in 2 weeks! Secret for now
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
bduddy
Profile Joined May 2012
United States1326 Posts
June 15 2013 06:56 GMT
#28
On June 15 2013 13:57 Existor wrote:
What is that green ball with gold around at the right bottom?
Looks like that SK Planet thing they keep showing in Proleague...
>Liquid'Nazgul: Of course you are completely right
ScorpSCII
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark499 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-15 07:08:04
June 15 2013 07:07 GMT
#29
On June 15 2013 13:57 Existor wrote:
What is that green ball with gold around at the right bottom?

Looks like a christmas tree to me ^^

Grats on getting Frost into MLG Semmo!
Mapmaker | Author of Atlas, Rao Mesa & Paralda
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
June 15 2013 10:10 GMT
#30
Really excited to see this map in use!
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
IeZaeL
Profile Joined July 2012
Italy991 Posts
June 15 2013 17:35 GMT
#31
Semmo , could you please tell me the set of textures you used ? I'm planning a little arcade mod and id like to at least TRY to copy a bit the theme :D
Author of Coda and Eastwatch.
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
June 23 2013 02:37 GMT
#32
Frost is being used in Red Bull Training Grounds Today! (And did yesterday)

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Red_Bull_Training_Grounds

Stream here:

Red Bull Battle Grounds Stream
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Quakecomm
Profile Joined April 2012
United States344 Posts
June 23 2013 03:39 GMT
#33
played on this map with a clanmate.
very fun and very solid!
gorkey island is the only good map
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
June 23 2013 05:18 GMT
#34
I see your map's got quite the list of accomplishments, there.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-23 22:18:13
June 23 2013 22:15 GMT
#35
I'm lazy. Does anyone have quick links to games on this map from redbull lan so far?

Well actually it's pretty easy at their youtube site to just look at the minimap on the vod screenshots. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/redbullESPORTS
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
June 24 2013 01:37 GMT
#36
On June 24 2013 07:15 EatThePath wrote:
I'm lazy. Does anyone have quick links to games on this map from redbull lan so far?

Well actually it's pretty easy at their youtube site to just look at the minimap on the vod screenshots. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/redbullESPORTS


Thanks! I can't watch yet because of the 500mb cap of my internet -_-... I'll watch it ASAP!
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-05 09:08:04
July 05 2013 09:07 GMT
#37
Hey Guys! I just wanted to post some VODs of Frost from Redbull Battlegrounds and RSL etc.

Red Bull Battlegrounds

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7y8LOYRrE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvKW7es_y30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwendoHglnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5_xyL53Ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEf60hrCQZM


RSL

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n2CxYQM8v0


More Coming Soon!
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 05 2013 11:37 GMT
#38
This just in:

+ Show Spoiler +
Semmo just got stomped on his map.

hellbats may have been involved
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
July 25 2013 07:09 GMT
#39
I got hold of some MLG Games on Frost (I only took notable players):

Thorzain vs Kawaiirice
Huk vs Sasquatch
Sage vs Kawaiirice
Theognis vs Phog
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
InfCereal
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada1759 Posts
July 25 2013 12:43 GMT
#40
On July 25 2013 16:09 Semmo wrote:
I got hold of some MLG Games on Frost (I only took notable players):

Thorzain vs Kawaiirice
Huk vs Sasquatch
Sage vs Kawaiirice
Theognis vs Phog


This website... the build orders o.o
Cereal
iHirO
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United Kingdom1381 Posts
July 29 2013 17:54 GMT
#41
Congrats on getting your map on to the ladder next season!

Hopefully Crux Breeze will also make it on.
GraphicsThis is for all you new people: I only have one rule. Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?
graNite
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany4434 Posts
July 29 2013 19:45 GMT
#42
how are the spawns enabled on this map?
"Oink oink, bitches" - Tasteless on Pigbaby winning a map against Flash
Cheeseling
Profile Joined March 2012
Ukraine132 Posts
July 30 2013 04:48 GMT
#43
It's never going to have close spawn enabled or it's just silly.
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 30 2013 04:51 GMT
#44
On July 30 2013 13:48 Cheeseling wrote:
It's never going to have close spawn enabled or it's just silly.

I don't understand, the map has no real close spawns, its design makes the rush distances similar in all 3 spawn positions. The main difference is how to defend your third base, and in either case that's reasonable too, so again, I don't understand.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Cheeseling
Profile Joined March 2012
Ukraine132 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-30 06:10:45
July 30 2013 06:03 GMT
#45
On July 30 2013 13:51 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2013 13:48 Cheeseling wrote:
It's never going to have close spawn enabled or it's just silly.

I don't understand, the map has no real close spawns, its design makes the rush distances similar in all 3 spawn positions. The main difference is how to defend your third base, and in either case that's reasonable too, so again, I don't understand.

For example in TvZ mech top close positions terran has super secure 3-d from it he can safely(through tunnel) move to zerg's 3-d and siege it from highground in no-time. And it has insanely long (due to this lava canyon thingy) counterattack path in comparison to 3d-3d tunnel so terran always will be able to return home in time and defend 3-d.
And if zerg takes another 3-d you can safely isolate it from his reinforcements and it might be even worse because you can(don't know how huge this location is) lock him in his base and only option will be attacking your 3-d t that can be defended with statics or even highground pf-tanks.
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
July 30 2013 07:21 GMT
#46
There still isn't really a close position and you'll always be able to take a reasonable third.
Retired Mapmaker™
Littlesheep
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada217 Posts
July 30 2013 07:34 GMT
#47
So wait, on ladder is it cross or 4 spawns?
pro toez
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
July 30 2013 08:21 GMT
#48
On July 30 2013 16:34 Littlesheep wrote:
So wait, on ladder is it cross or 4 spawns?



all spawn.
by design all rush distances are fairly similar, so there is no actual close distance!
Cheeseling
Profile Joined March 2012
Ukraine132 Posts
July 30 2013 08:31 GMT
#49
On July 30 2013 17:21 Samro225am wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2013 16:34 Littlesheep wrote:
So wait, on ladder is it cross or 4 spawns?



all spawn.
by design all rush distances are fairly similar, so there is no actual close distance!

Not only rush distance matters. This map with random spawns even worse than Star Station was before they disabled close spawns

Anyway we will see pretty soon.
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12057 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-30 11:06:57
July 30 2013 11:04 GMT
#50
There's really nothing wrong with random spawns. People just need to stop going CC/Nexus/Hatch first and expect to get away with it without scouting.

Just wall off and bam, no early pools are a problem.

For example in TvZ mech top close positions terran has super secure 3-d from it he can safely(through tunnel) move to zerg's 3-d and siege it from highground in no-time. And it has insanely long (due to this lava canyon thingy) counterattack path in comparison to 3d-3d tunnel so terran always will be able to return home in time and defend 3-d.
And if zerg takes another 3-d you can safely isolate it from his reinforcements and it might be even worse because you can(don't know how huge this location is) lock him in his base and only option will be attacking your 3-d t that can be defended with statics or even highground pf-tanks.


Don't take the close to terran third then? If you go take a further away base like the one above your main cluster then it's even further from the terran or even better you could take another main, good luck to the mech player pushing that without getting punished.

I really wish map design up until now wasn't so bad that it's put stupid ideas into peoples heads, especially when mech is so bad In SC2 compared to BW it really makes little to no sense as to why you wouldn't just take another main.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
Cheeseling
Profile Joined March 2012
Ukraine132 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-30 14:42:10
July 30 2013 14:21 GMT
#51
On July 30 2013 20:04 Qikz wrote:Don't take the close to terran third then? If you go take a further away base like the one above your main cluster then it's even further from the terran or even better you could take another main, good luck to the mech player pushing that without getting punished.

If i pick my 3-d in those locations it will be really hard to deal with hellbat drops or 2-3 Banshe opening. Also i need to know if it pure mech deathball or marine-tank, bio-mine before teking 3-d. I somewhat agree about super greedy openings but they are punished with each new metagame shift like early pool against toss works in 80-90% of games. But this map also doesn't alow zerg to punish super greedy 2 cc opening because he can collapse those rocks and safely sit on 3 super safe bases and steamroll you. Zerg won't have enough time to prepare for the attack. And you can't play this map not greedy against greedy opponent.

Same with PvZ its like Red city but safer for P. He can expand towards you and park his deathball near your 3-d on hightground with chokes all around. Another 3-d can be easily isolated with ff and it's pretty vulnerable to air.
I guess it's mutalisk map!
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
July 30 2013 21:45 GMT
#52
On July 30 2013 23:21 Cheeseling wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2013 20:04 Qikz wrote:Don't take the close to terran third then? If you go take a further away base like the one above your main cluster then it's even further from the terran or even better you could take another main, good luck to the mech player pushing that without getting punished.

If i pick my 3-d in those locations it will be really hard to deal with hellbat drops or 2-3 Banshe opening. Also i need to know if it pure mech deathball or marine-tank, bio-mine before teking 3-d. I somewhat agree about super greedy openings but they are punished with each new metagame shift like early pool against toss works in 80-90% of games. But this map also doesn't alow zerg to punish super greedy 2 cc opening because he can collapse those rocks and safely sit on 3 super safe bases and steamroll you. Zerg won't have enough time to prepare for the attack. And you can't play this map not greedy against greedy opponent.

Same with PvZ its like Red city but safer for P. He can expand towards you and park his deathball near your 3-d on hightground with chokes all around. Another 3-d can be easily isolated with ff and it's pretty vulnerable to air.
I guess it's mutalisk map!

(bold) Are you talking about outside the natural on the ramp? Those are just normal rocks, making that entrance wider when destroyed, not closing it.

I think you're really overstating the problems without thinking long enough. Although this map is a bit different than others before. But that is why it's a good thing we will be playing on it.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Cheeseling
Profile Joined March 2012
Ukraine132 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-31 02:24:30
July 31 2013 02:21 GMT
#53
Wooot? Why i thought they are collapsible. im retarded O_o
Now i can see how this map can be played.
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
July 31 2013 02:29 GMT
#54
Congratulations Semmo!

I'm still not a fan of this map but another community map in the ladder is amazing! Will be interesting to see how this map plays out once thousands of people start playing on it. Part of me thinks it might have to go Cross Only, but hopefully it can stay with all spawns viable.
Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
shin_toss
Profile Joined May 2010
Philippines2589 Posts
July 31 2013 07:32 GMT
#55
Just tried this map a while ago. It's awesome, It's gonna produce good games imo, esp. that high ground behind the 3rd's mineral line. Keep it upp
AKMU / IU
Cartman_
Profile Joined July 2012
119 Posts
July 31 2013 13:19 GMT
#56
Everytime I check this map, Everytime my mind go crazy. Think there'll be some epic Battle on this one ! Well done !
| SK Telecom T1 | --- | Bisu & BoxeR Forever, FanTaSy, INnoVation, Dark, soO, Dream <3 |
larse
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
1611 Posts
August 25 2013 18:51 GMT
#57
It looks like Blizzard changes the texture of the main:

[image loading]
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
August 25 2013 19:04 GMT
#58
They basically changed the textures to Typhon + snow, and the mains are textured the same as on Yeonsu. They also re-added the watchtowers, and probably would have put them there, even if they were never there to begin with. Not cool, given they probably didn't discuss this with Semmo at all.

My patience with Blizzard is wearing thin at this point.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
August 25 2013 23:19 GMT
#59
I wouldn't mind the watchtower addition if they had some purpose, but on this map it's just stupid. Still a great map, but it was far better without the watchtowers.
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
Sumadin
Profile Joined August 2011
Denmark588 Posts
August 25 2013 23:48 GMT
#60
They seem to have purpose enough to me. A single unit is enough to cover each bridge. But their is still options to go around on the outer bridges which is always nice.

You can agree with them or not, but i would not really say they are purposeless. It seems fairly obvious.
The basic key to beating a priest is playing a deck that is terrible.
Uvantak
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Uruguay1381 Posts
August 25 2013 23:50 GMT
#61
I agree, i think adding the watchtowers to frozen is far worse than what they did to Yeonsu, in yeonsu the flow of the map and army positioning stays the same with these rocks and the semi islands, but in frozen the army positioning changes drastically with these xel'naga watch towers, if these where destructible or timed xel'nagas then the map wouldn't get stagnated in the lategame, but they are not ~.~
@Kantuva | Mapmaker | KTVMaps.wordpress.com | Check my profile to see my TL map threads, and you can search for KTV in the Custom Games section to play them.
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
August 26 2013 07:58 GMT
#62
The most important thing is that the Christmas tree is saved. Hallelujah!
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
myRZeth
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany1047 Posts
August 26 2013 14:53 GMT
#63
I hate that map so much
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
August 26 2013 14:59 GMT
#64
I have to say, despite the map being utterly generic, playing games on it does give me that old Typhoon Peaks vibe again back when the game was still about zealot runbies and warp prism harass, contrary to most modern maps there are indeed so many different avenues of attack to take to specific places.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
August 26 2013 15:39 GMT
#65
On August 26 2013 08:48 Sumadin wrote:
They seem to have purpose enough to me. A single unit is enough to cover each bridge. But their is still options to go around on the outer bridges which is always nice.

You can agree with them or not, but i would not really say they are purposeless. It seems fairly obvious.

The thing is, a single unit was enough to cover each bridge BEFORE the Watchtowers were added, which still promotes map awareness without letting players be lazy about it and gaining extra vision.
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
August 26 2013 16:42 GMT
#66
So now the LOS blockers with it provide positional advantage and more interesting terrain play. I just lost a PvT because a Terran used the blockers against me, had a raven so I couldn't get vision in the bush were all the ghosts were but I had to attack and got stomped, really cool play.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
algue
Profile Joined July 2011
France1436 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-21 09:42:35
September 21 2013 09:30 GMT
#67
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 21 2013 18:12 Semmo wrote:
No Totalbiscuit Post on Frost... Please post on my map too. Thanks.

Also, I mean obviously there are some map flaws to Yeonsu, which gives advantage to certain races. And I don't know if the map makes those map flaws in delibration or whatever. But the map is different from the rest of the map pool, which isn't so bad.
And it's too late to change it, since Blizzard really didn't test it or consult anyone.

My suggestions:

- Remove towers
- Add another pathway on the sides of map
- Fix main ramp
- Fix Main, make map bigger or something

I've voted for your map in the TLMC but I've always felt that something was missing something
Eventhough the map is really big, I see a ton of one sided games on this map and very few great macro games like we used to see on whirlwind or Taldarim altar. There's something wrong with this map imo (It's usually some 2 or 3 base aggression and a player gets his 4th base when the opponent is almost dead). I don't think that blizzard will make any major change to it but they should.
At the moment it's way too easy to attack the third base while denying/harrassing the 4th and taking a 5th base isn't even a possibility

Semmo, are you ok with the kind of games that are played or your map or did you expect it to be the new macro game map replacing whirlwind ? What changes would you make (if you think the map needs some changes) ?
rly ?
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
September 21 2013 09:40 GMT
#68
LOL I meant TotalBiscuit to comment on my map, it's ok you don't have to bump it xD

I guess most of the games you see only go to 3 Bases but in the Pro games that I have seen (RSL and GSL and stuff), game went to 4 Bases+. I think currently Watchtower is pretty bad, so next season the watchtowers will probably be removed. I asked Blizzard at least.

Also, my map isn't supposed to replace whirlwind. It is supposed to show very different play depending on spawns. My plan was:

Horizontal: Quite agressive, but you can still take 4th. It should play out like Newkirk, but with opportunities to create flanks or counter attacks through the bridge. Also you could actually both take the bases near the bridge, which can create tension.

Vertical: Focus is on two attack paths, which I see being used a lot (one thing I'm happy about). I didn't think 4th would be taken as much as horizontal or diagonal, as it is quite far away. (But still I don't think it's harder than, say, Antiga for example).

Diagonal: This spawn I guessed would have more macro.

So yeah. I didn't think it would create 4base + games on vertical, but on 3 bases it is still "macro", I think.
And hopefully as the map gets played a lot (200+ games) It will be what I expected.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
algue
Profile Joined July 2011
France1436 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-21 09:47:21
September 21 2013 09:46 GMT
#69
I'm not TB but even without your message I would have bumped it (consider that if TB isn't whining on this thread, you did a good job !)
The way people play on this map eventhough it's huge has always bugged me.
rly ?
moskonia
Profile Joined January 2011
Israel1448 Posts
September 21 2013 14:51 GMT
#70
I find that people are really not adapting to maps, whenever I get a Zerg on horizontal position I win because they build the base that is close to me which allows me to siege it from above with my ranged units. Overall when I first saw the map I did not like it that much, but after so many games on it, its my favorite map on the pool.
lorestarcraft
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1049 Posts
September 21 2013 17:28 GMT
#71
On September 21 2013 23:51 moskonia wrote:
I find that people are really not adapting to maps, whenever I get a Zerg on horizontal position I win because they build the base that is close to me which allows me to siege it from above with my ranged units. Overall when I first saw the map I did not like it that much, but after so many games on it, its my favorite map on the pool.

Yeah, I played a zerg that sixpooled here thinking it was cross only. Turns out we were cross positions! I still won but the way people play on this map is so dumb haha.
SC2 Mapmaker
lolfail9001
Profile Joined August 2013
Russian Federation40190 Posts
September 21 2013 17:35 GMT
#72
On September 21 2013 23:51 moskonia wrote:
I find that people are really not adapting to maps, whenever I get a Zerg on horizontal position I win because they build the base that is close to me which allows me to siege it from above with my ranged units. Overall when I first saw the map I did not like it that much, but after so many games on it, its my favorite map on the pool.

Yeah, it is kind of funny how zergs keep on thinking it is cross only and go on with this close-to-horizontal-spawn base. And yes, it is sick map (zerg player here).
DeMoN pulls off a Miracle and Flies to the Moon
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
September 21 2013 17:48 GMT
#73
I continue to have great games on this map. The early game doesn't really vary between positions as much as I thought it might, but the 3rd base pressure phase of the game obviously varies a lot depending on positions. The lategame gets very interesting at 5+ bases where you have to guard two sides of the map. Counterthreats are very well rewarded in terms of positional jockeying.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
September 26 2013 01:34 GMT
#74
On September 21 2013 18:46 algue wrote:
I'm not TB but even without your message I would have bumped it (consider that if TB isn't whining on this thread, you did a good job !)
The way people play on this map eventhough it's huge has always bugged me.


"Professional commentators are not allowed opinions on maps" - Random Teamliquid posters
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Uvantak
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Uruguay1381 Posts
September 26 2013 01:52 GMT
#75
On September 26 2013 10:34 TotalBiscuit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2013 18:46 algue wrote:
I'm not TB but even without your message I would have bumped it (consider that if TB isn't whining on this thread, you did a good job !)
The way people play on this map eventhough it's huge has always bugged me.


"Professional commentators are not allowed opinions on maps" - Random Teamliquid posters

Yep you nailed it!

+ Show Spoiler +
Any place where i can see/hear the exact reasons why you personally don't like this map TB?
(i could search them by myself but i haven't had lots of time lately)
@Kantuva | Mapmaker | KTVMaps.wordpress.com | Check my profile to see my TL map threads, and you can search for KTV in the Custom Games section to play them.
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
September 26 2013 03:00 GMT
#76
On September 26 2013 10:52 Uvantak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2013 10:34 TotalBiscuit wrote:
On September 21 2013 18:46 algue wrote:
I'm not TB but even without your message I would have bumped it (consider that if TB isn't whining on this thread, you did a good job !)
The way people play on this map eventhough it's huge has always bugged me.


"Professional commentators are not allowed opinions on maps" - Random Teamliquid posters

Yep you nailed it!

+ Show Spoiler +
Any place where i can see/hear the exact reasons why you personally don't like this map TB?
(i could search them by myself but i haven't had lots of time lately)


I actually like Frost, I dunno where he got that from. My players like it too. My concern was over Yeonsu, which resulted in people calling me terrible and disregarding my opinion, so I provided quotes from pro-players that backed it up.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
eTcetRa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia822 Posts
September 26 2013 03:05 GMT
#77
I've been having some really great ZvT's on this map. Most usually play to the late game and even had some go into the ultra late game. The towers are too powerful though, didn't like their addition
Retired Mapmaker™
Timetwister22
Profile Joined March 2011
United States538 Posts
September 26 2013 03:18 GMT
#78
On September 26 2013 12:05 eTcetRa wrote:
I've been having some really great ZvT's on this map. Most usually play to the late game and even had some go into the ultra late game. The towers are too powerful though, didn't like their addition


I actually really like them a lot because of their power. They encourage the use of the side paths, as well as more harass such as drops. Additionally, they make the middle something to fight for in long macro games, which isn't seen on hardly any other map.
Former ESV Mapmaker | @Timetwister22
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
September 26 2013 03:34 GMT
#79
On September 26 2013 12:18 Timetwister22 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2013 12:05 eTcetRa wrote:
I've been having some really great ZvT's on this map. Most usually play to the late game and even had some go into the ultra late game. The towers are too powerful though, didn't like their addition


I actually really like them a lot because of their power. They encourage the use of the side paths, as well as more harass such as drops. Additionally, they make the middle something to fight for in long macro games, which isn't seen on hardly any other map.

I can definitely see both sides of this viewpoint. While I don't really like them in concept, overall I think I they are a good thing for the map. Crucially, it is hard to just camp out in the middle on the towers, because you'll get harassed or beaten back, so it's an active late game asset and not something for the player with the lead to lean on.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-26 05:08:20
September 26 2013 05:08 GMT
#80
YES! THANK YOU TOTALBISCUIT!! :D MY MAP IS FAMOUSSS

P.S. HUGE FAN BTW.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 177
ProTech147
JuggernautJason59
CosmosSc2 29
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 650
White-Ra 196
Dewaltoss 94
Hyuk 82
firebathero 65
Trap 46
Sacsri 20
Bale 15
Dota 2
Gorgc9203
qojqva1329
Counter-Strike
fl0m1582
Fnx 776
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King96
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3649
Khaldor1231
crisheroes1075
Liquid`Hasu534
Other Games
summit1g6592
FrodaN2343
XBOCT252
C9.Mang0188
shahzam180
ArmadaUGS134
QueenE68
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream56
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH353
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie924
• Shiphtur299
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 10m
CranKy Ducklings
14h 10m
Online Event
15h 10m
FEL
20h 10m
AI Arena Tournament
21h 10m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 16h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.