• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:51
CEST 22:51
KST 05:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6818 users

[M] (2) Icarus - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
January 23 2013 23:56 GMT
#81
On January 24 2013 08:11 iamcaustic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 23 2013 22:21 SiskosGoatee wrote:
On January 23 2013 22:10 iamcaustic wrote:
On January 23 2013 21:05 SiskosGoatee wrote:
On January 23 2013 18:35 iamcaustic wrote:
I simply have no idea how this map is going to turn out. There are parts in the layout I love and parts I really don't like.

On January 21 2013 23:39 Sumadin wrote:
On January 21 2013 21:58 algue wrote:
I really think this map needs one more base below the third but I still like it


How did i miss that?

Yea 4.5 bases per player is... a questionable decision. And even then 1 of the bases for each player is centered thus practically impossible to secure.

Even on Ohana with 5 bases per player the low number of bases have been a frequent problem, even without centered bases.

What are they thinking exactly? Suddenly i am not too sure about this map.

Eh? The number of bases on Ohana isn't a problem at all. What on earth would give you this idea?
It's personal, it is a problem to me. I don't like it, I often get mined out on Ohana. It's one of my least liked maps for a number of reasons, one being the amount of bases. Together with the extremely linear expansion progression.

THis is what I liked more about Korhal Compound though I would not mind 2 centre half bases added to the map on the lowground. But his fifth could also be your fourth or even third. Same with Dual Sight, it wasn't clear which gold was whose, it adds something interesting when you can expand both ways.

To put it like this, any map good for mech is a bad map in my opinion because it encourages turtly play and discourages multi pronged aggression and doesn't have a lot of bases, which is of course something that enables mech.

The map is pretty basic and straightforward for sure, but most games don't even get to mining out 5 bases, if you're even lucky to reach 5 bases in the first place. Saying you often get mined out on Ohana is either an extreme exaggeration or your opponents never attack you for some reason. Maybe you mine out 3 bases and have a hard time taking a 4th/5th, but that's very different from mining out the map. 5 bases provide enough resources to get you hour-long games, it's just a matter of collecting all the resources.
I beg to differ, I get mined out because I attack a lot and force a lot of engagements and thereby keep losing units. IT's nt an exaggeration, I'm very comfortable playing a 90 SCV or 110 probe/drone game and Ohana leaves me mined out.

As far as progamers go, they adapt to Ohana, they tend t play styles that get mined out less quickly because you expand slower with it, mech and other related deathballish styles like BL/Infestor are quite popular there simply because the map doesn't give you the amount of bases for proper muta/ling/bane which requires you to expand more quickly and rely on the mobility of your army to defend. 5 Base Zerg is pretty much required for good muta/ling/bane ZvT.

Personally, I think all those deathballish and passive playstyles are extremely boring to watch which is sort of what a low expo game forces.

Forgive me, but I'm highly skeptical of your claims. Do you have a few replays you could share? I'm genuinely curious how someone could mine out Ohana on a consistent basis, namely the style of play involved that doesn't have their opponent tap out before that point. Anyway, if you're willing, just shoot me a PM as I don't wanna derail this thread any further.
Well, since SC2Gears does not allow you to search for those things, I fo course cannot provide you. I also don't see this as being of topic at all with respect to this map, we are discussing if 5 bases per player is too few or not. Muta/ling/bane play very commonly sees Z take 5 bases. You also very rarely see it on Ohana because it's not that good there, in no small part because you need to take the map to take it work and there's not a lot of map to take on Ohana.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't find those kind of playstyles exciting, but I do and they require a high amount of bases to work, one of the reasons it is very popular on TDA. So in my [i]personal opinion[/í] 5 bases is not enough.

As far as my own play goes, like I said, I tend to go a bit bonkers on the worker count and I'm very comfortable playing at 100+ workers which also makes Ohana not fun on me to play. Which is a different issue from that I don't like the professional matches on them because it forces mech, BL/Infestor turtle etc.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
January 24 2013 04:26 GMT
#82
So if I understand correctly, despite the claim that this issue is common for you, you are unable to provide any example of this occurrence. All right then, I suppose there's nothing left to talk about there.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
January 24 2013 04:34 GMT
#83
Of course I can't provide a replay if SC2Gears doesn't allow me to search on it, you expect me to go through every game I played on Ohana on 8x to see if it's mined out?

I'm sure it's a common occurence for you to get a flock of phoenices chain fungalled above a Zerg third on Daybreak, could you provide me a replay of that?
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 05:22:35
January 24 2013 05:19 GMT
#84
On January 24 2013 13:34 SiskosGoatee wrote:
Of course I can't provide a replay if SC2Gears doesn't allow me to search on it, you expect me to go through every game I played on Ohana on 8x to see if it's mined out?

I'm sure it's a common occurence for you to get a flock of phoenices chain fungalled above a Zerg third on Daybreak, could you provide me a replay of that?

You said it happened often. Just take a quick look at the game length of 5 to 10 Ohana replays and you should be able to find at least one (should be at least 40 mins or more in a mined out game). Or are you now saying it's not as common as you claimed before?

I mean, if you're just bullshitting everyone again like you usually do then that's fine; just say so. No hard feelings man, you have no obligation to appease me.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
January 24 2013 05:29 GMT
#85
On January 24 2013 14:19 iamcaustic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 13:34 SiskosGoatee wrote:
Of course I can't provide a replay if SC2Gears doesn't allow me to search on it, you expect me to go through every game I played on Ohana on 8x to see if it's mined out?

I'm sure it's a common occurence for you to get a flock of phoenices chain fungalled above a Zerg third on Daybreak, could you provide me a replay of that?

You said it happened often. Just take a quick look at the game length of 5 to 10 Ohana replays and you should be able to find at least one (should be at least 40 mins or more in a mined out game). Or are you now saying it's not as common as you claimed before?
Okay, let's say this happens in 1/10 games for me on OHana, which is actually quite close to the truth. You cannot expect me to 8x 10 Ohana 40 minute replays on average to find this one replay. It takes 5 minutes to 8x a 40 minute replay, that's 50 minutes of time for 10, ignoring startup and load time of replays. That's just too much time.

I mean, if you're just bullshitting everyone again like you usually do then that's fine; just say so. No hard feelings man, you have no obligation to appease me.
Again, I'm sure it's quite common for you to get your phoenices fungalled over the third on daybreak, find me a replay of that. It''s also quite common for me and I can't produce a replay of that, it's too much work.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
January 24 2013 06:00 GMT
#86
On January 24 2013 14:29 SiskosGoatee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 24 2013 14:19 iamcaustic wrote:
On January 24 2013 13:34 SiskosGoatee wrote:
Of course I can't provide a replay if SC2Gears doesn't allow me to search on it, you expect me to go through every game I played on Ohana on 8x to see if it's mined out?

I'm sure it's a common occurence for you to get a flock of phoenices chain fungalled above a Zerg third on Daybreak, could you provide me a replay of that?

You said it happened often. Just take a quick look at the game length of 5 to 10 Ohana replays and you should be able to find at least one (should be at least 40 mins or more in a mined out game). Or are you now saying it's not as common as you claimed before?
Okay, let's say this happens in 1/10 games for me on OHana, which is actually quite close to the truth. You cannot expect me to 8x 10 Ohana 40 minute replays on average to find this one replay. It takes 5 minutes to 8x a 40 minute replay, that's 50 minutes of time for 10, ignoring startup and load time of replays. That's just too much time.

Show nested quote +
I mean, if you're just bullshitting everyone again like you usually do then that's fine; just say so. No hard feelings man, you have no obligation to appease me.
Again, I'm sure it's quite common for you to get your phoenices fungalled over the third on daybreak, find me a replay of that. It''s also quite common for me and I can't produce a replay of that, it's too much work.

You have really weird logic. I only said to look at 5 to 10 replays to find one that was over 40 minutes. I'd be surprised if you could offer 5 to 10 of your replays on Ohana that moved past the 40 minute mark. If you can find that many, send them my way and I'll do the sifting for you. No time or effort on your part.

I'm also not sure why you keep on bringing up phoenixes and getting them fungalled over the third on Daybreak. Nobody's trying to prove that it's a common occurrence -- well, I guess you are in this case, but that means you'd have to provide the replays to make the case, not me. This is a very basic principle of logic known as burden of proof, but given your overall disdain for basic logic thus far I'm not overly surprised you're having a hard time with the concept.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
January 24 2013 06:06 GMT
#87
By the way everybody, (P)HuK vs (Z)Sniper in a few hours, opening on Icarus in Code S. Can't wait!
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
January 24 2013 06:33 GMT
#88
On January 24 2013 15:06 EatThePath wrote:
By the way everybody, (P)HuK vs (Z)Sniper in a few hours, opening on Icarus in Code S. Can't wait!

That's gonna be a sick game. I'm really curious to see how more games on Icarus play out.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
January 24 2013 09:23 GMT
#89
Well, this map already brings interesting new openers.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
January 31 2013 10:48 GMT
#90
The map seems to generate some really interesting games in the GSL thus far and players do seem to pick it a lot even though it's unique. Good map I feel, too early to talk about balance but it does spice the game up.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
r1flEx
Profile Joined October 2012
Belgium256 Posts
January 31 2013 11:03 GMT
#91
i love this map! such awesome games
moskonia
Profile Joined January 2011
Israel1448 Posts
January 31 2013 14:13 GMT
#92
Nestea picking it without ever playing it was the saddest thing ever... Wish he would have advanced.
lorestarcraft
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1049 Posts
January 31 2013 15:29 GMT
#93
On January 31 2013 19:48 SiskosGoatee wrote:
The map seems to generate some really interesting games in the GSL thus far and players do seem to pick it a lot even though it's unique. Good map I feel, too early to talk about balance but it does spice the game up.

Pretty much all the games on it have been retarded. This is not where maps should go.
SC2 Mapmaker
Sumadin
Profile Joined August 2011
Denmark588 Posts
January 31 2013 17:21 GMT
#94
On February 01 2013 00:29 lorestarcraft wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2013 19:48 SiskosGoatee wrote:
The map seems to generate some really interesting games in the GSL thus far and players do seem to pick it a lot even though it's unique. Good map I feel, too early to talk about balance but it does spice the game up.

Pretty much all the games on it have been retarded. This is not where maps should go.


I havn't really been able to follow GSL lately, could you give me an Update? What are the issues in the games?
The basic key to beating a priest is playing a deck that is terrible.
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12056 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-31 17:38:19
January 31 2013 17:36 GMT
#95
On February 01 2013 00:29 lorestarcraft wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 31 2013 19:48 SiskosGoatee wrote:
The map seems to generate some really interesting games in the GSL thus far and players do seem to pick it a lot even though it's unique. Good map I feel, too early to talk about balance but it does spice the game up.

Pretty much all the games on it have been retarded. This is not where maps should go.


The one today was fine.

The issue with the games is as players are seeing this as a gimmick mmap, they don't seem to be bothered to practice on it as it forces them to play differently to the other maps. It makes the game look bad so once again interesting maps get bad mouthed by the community, just because the map is slightly different.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
January 31 2013 18:00 GMT
#96
I don't see how they wouldn't have practiced on it, you're seeing some highly specific strats that only work on this map and are clearly practiced.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12056 Posts
January 31 2013 18:58 GMT
#97
Sorry, that was a bad choice of wording on my part. I apologise for that.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-01 19:41:05
February 01 2013 19:32 GMT
#98
--- Nuked ---
lorestarcraft
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1049 Posts
February 01 2013 20:36 GMT
#99
On February 02 2013 04:32 Barrin wrote:
Show nested quote +
slightly different

double bad choice of wording

This map is on the fringe... it could hardly be more different. It's actually barely on the fringe, I'd call it wonky tbh.

It does give interesting maps a bad name.. we're supposed to get there slowly.

Adding this map to the GSL at this point in time is what I would do if I wanted to encourage shunning of "different" maps in the future.

Like a kid tentative to learn to swim, dipping his feet in the pool for an hour or two... and then doing a dive bomb in the deep end. If he almost drowns, who can blame him for not wanting to be anywhere near a pool of water for a while?

I whole-heartedly agree with this statement.
SC2 Mapmaker
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
February 01 2013 20:51 GMT
#100
On February 02 2013 04:32 Barrin wrote:
Show nested quote +
slightly different

double bad choice of wording

This map is on the fringe... it could hardly be more different. It's actually barely on the fringe, I'd call it wonky tbh
Ehh, I'd refer that stuff to things like Arkanoid, this is still fairly good.

It does give interesting maps a bad name.. we're supposed to get there slowly.
Why? It's a good map, it's been readily picked already by players of all 3 races. How often does that happen? That otherwise only seems to happen with Daybreak, CK and Antiga. And well, apparently Bogus likes Whirlwind in TvZ, bogus man.

Adding this map to the GSL at this point in time is what I would do if I wanted to encourage shunning of "different" maps in the future.

Like a kid tentative to learn to swim, dipping his feet in the pool for an hour or two... and then doing a dive bomb in the deep end. If he almost drowns, who can blame him for not wanting to be anywhere near a pool of water for a while?
I'd add two of these, this has been the best thing happening to the GSL map pool in a looooong time.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 544
JuggernautJason26
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 665
Dewaltoss 107
firebathero 94
Zeus 73
Trap 42
910 29
Bale 26
NaDa 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever310
Counter-Strike
edward210
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS124
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4366
Liquid`Hasu2346
Other Games
summit1g6633
shahzam485
byalli450
C9.Mang0168
KnowMe130
UpATreeSC102
Chillindude28
Trikslyr23
Railgan17
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream150
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 69
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 32
• Azhi_Dahaki28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur327
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 9m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 9m
Stellar Fest
16h 9m
Stellar Fest
16h 9m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.