• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:01
CEST 15:01
KST 22:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6163 users

TL Map Contest Results - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
509 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25 26 Next All
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
November 09 2011 16:51 GMT
#81
On November 10 2011 01:37 Samro225am wrote:
Dear Timetwister22,
author of the playtesters' favourite Haven's Lagoon,

if you are interested I would love to help you make your map better looking, either by giving you a visual design coaching via Skype or by working over your textures (and doodads) myself.
Also it seems my teammates have a lot of energy and I hope their energy can be put into something usefull (hi team, i know you are up to it! you do not want to leave aesthetics to ESV )

on another note: did you copy and rotate Ride of Valkyries?

-

Dear Judges,
it is the third time I get in a "MotM" final and I am really happy that my simple, functional layout was chosen, although I misinterpret the rules and mixed a tileset for badassvisuals (;

-

Mereel,
I understand your point and share your opinion (partly) regarding some map's visual design, but you can't accuse the judges of not presenting ''the very best that the community could offer.'' while you present yourself like an embittered looser.

-

Team ESV,
congratulation beating us 3:2. Next time we will make more 2v2 maps for easy bonuspoints

-

Looking forward to the tournament and stream.This is were the really good playing and good looking maps shine


+ 1 !

User was warned for this post
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
November 09 2011 16:51 GMT
#82
On November 10 2011 01:47 dudecrush wrote:
Calling it now: Burning Altar is gonna win because blizz loves destructible rocks...


did you check the mapthread or play the map? do you understand how the rocks work?

I tried to find a concept to make rocks work in a way they do not destroy, but help gameplay. With advancing matches both sides (attacker, defender) want to break the rocks, some races more, some less, dependaning on playstyle and army composition.

rocks are not an instant win with blizz and should not be an instant loss for people caring for SC2. We jsut have to show blizz how to make better or at least different use of it.
Snijjer
Profile Joined September 2011
United States989 Posts
November 09 2011 16:53 GMT
#83
Also to all the people hating on Haven's Lagoon:

It is clearly one of the top maps of the group. Map making is not about creating this beautiful landscape to fight on. Top players do not pay attention to that shit. The best map is one that is most enjoyable to play. Which is something he created by coming up with a whole new way using a map to change the way SC2 is played.

On November 10 2011 01:29 Johanaz wrote:
Now that I´ve flipped a few tables I can understand the reasoning behind the selection.
Like trying to write a hit song; you can work really hard and do everything right, and still see people go for another tune.
Dedication, talent will only take you so far. A bit of luck and fun-factor is something you need but can´t control.


I see you are so full of yourself you still don't understand the reasoning of the selection. Dedication and talent is all you need to succeed. But you didn't have the 'talent' to come up with a concept like Haven's Lagoon. There was no luck involved. And fun-factor is something you can control - it requires a little imagination and happens to be the most important part in map making.
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
November 09 2011 16:53 GMT
#84
Sam, dudecrush is just joking.


I think
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
November 09 2011 16:54 GMT
#85
--- Nuked ---
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
November 09 2011 16:55 GMT
#86
Sanctuary is the only map which looks I don't like all that much.
Fields of Strife should be made into a 1v1 map because it looks sick.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
VirgilSC2
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States6151 Posts
November 09 2011 16:55 GMT
#87
I think Team Liquid should hold a weekend seminar in conjunction with Blizzard, we can call it the Dustin Browder 'Players Improving Maps Program' or Dustin Browder, P.I.M.P. for short.

It can be all about effectively implementing Destructible Rocks, with a primer for the release of Heart of the Swarm, after which there can be another seminar for the use of Collapsible Rocks.
Clarity Gaming #1 Fan | Avid MTG Grinder | @VirgilSC2
Apom
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
France656 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 16:57:08
November 09 2011 16:56 GMT
#88
To people hating on Burning Altar because of the rocks : there are just as many destructible rocks on Cloud Kingdom (although not entirely blocking). And even more on Fields of Strife.

I understand that the first impression left by those rocks where on Blistering Sands, which certainly does not score positive points... But why the indsicriminate rage ? I personnally believe that rocks can add to gameplay value when put in sensible places.
VirgilSC2
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States6151 Posts
November 09 2011 16:58 GMT
#89
On November 10 2011 01:54 Barrin wrote:
Congratulations to the winners! :D

-----

As happy I am for the winners, believe me I was as nervous waiting for announcement and thoroughly disappointed for losing as anyone else. But for me that is quickly replaced with a desire to become better and learn from my mistakes.

This is my entry (Alysaar Deluge):
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
(click for thread)


I understand that the judges were putting heavy emphasis on layout and gameplay. Even though I feel Alysaar Deluge does far better at this than most maps, I also understand it's problems and felt that it's greatest weakness as I was finishing it up. It's gameplay problems seem hardly worth discussing, it really only comes from experience and the important thing is that I understand them. But if this was a contest of overall execution this map probably should have been a finalist ^^

It's not really that this experience has left me "enlightened"... "refreshed" would be a better word. I have not really learned anything that I did not already know - only perhaps forgotten. Both in gameplay and aesthetics I get so bogged down in all the complex intricacies that I sometimes get carried away and forget fundamentals, spending so much time trying to revise it to the point where I should have just started over or got it right to begin with. Simplicity is the answer, everything else should be second-nature; this sensation is familiar to me.

Lul, look at me babbling on. I guess all I'm saying is that something good will come of the motivation I gained from this. Grats again to winners

Would you actually mind expounding upon what the gameplay issues are? This looks like a really awesome map, and I'd like to weigh in on it, after knowing what you already know. It's not too late to refine it for the IPL Map Contest! :D
Clarity Gaming #1 Fan | Avid MTG Grinder | @VirgilSC2
Percutio
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1672 Posts
November 09 2011 16:58 GMT
#90
Gah, I just wish I could actually use the map editor without screwing everything up. I have so many ideas and (crude) sketches.
What does it matter how I loose it?
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
November 09 2011 16:59 GMT
#91
--- Nuked ---
shell
Profile Joined October 2010
Portugal2722 Posts
November 09 2011 17:00 GMT
#92
Wow people are really pissed about this. I get it's never fun to lose, but there's no need to be agressive like that since it's their rules and they are the judges. They said they would choose the best playing maps acording to their skills and opinion. If you think the maps should be voted by the community or top players then you people shouldn't have applied.

The maps look great for me and i don't have any skill to say it otherwise(playing and map making) so they look good to me, i will try them if i can.
BENFICA || Besties: idra, Stephano, Nestea, Jaedong, Serral, Jinro, Scarlett || Zerg <3
Roggay
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland6320 Posts
November 09 2011 17:01 GMT
#93
On November 10 2011 01:54 Barrin wrote:
Congratulations to the winners! :D

-----

As happy I am for the winners, believe me I was as nervous waiting for announcement and thoroughly disappointed for losing as anyone else. But for me that is quickly replaced with a desire to become better and learn from my mistakes.

This is my entry (Alysaar Deluge):
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
(click for thread)


I understand that the judges were putting heavy emphasis on layout and gameplay. Even though I feel Alysaar Deluge does far better at this than most maps, I also understand it's problems and felt that it's greatest weakness as I was finishing it up. It's gameplay problems seem hardly worth discussing, it really only comes from experience and the important thing is that I understand them. But if this was a contest of overall execution this map probably should have been a finalist ^^

It's not really that this experience has left me "enlightened"... "refreshed" would be a better word. I have not really learned anything that I did not already know - only perhaps forgotten. Both in gameplay and aesthetics I get so bogged down in all the complex intricacies that I sometimes get carried away and forget fundamentals, spending so much time trying to revise it to the point where I should have just started over or got it right to begin with. Simplicity is the answer, everything else should be second-nature; this sensation is familiar to me.

Lul, look at me babbling on. I guess all I'm saying is that something good will come of the motivation I gained from this. Grats again to winners

Well, I personnaly don't really like your map (the distances feel weird and I really hate standard rocks). But well, its only my opinion at first sight, didnt play it or anything.
canilsen
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway286 Posts
November 09 2011 17:07 GMT
#94
Cloud Kingdom and Haven's lagoon are my favourites here. Being a daily spectator I could see right away these will show some new ways to play, and in my opinion is exactly what is needed to keep the interest up.


And what's up with people going apeshit over the aesthetics? That can easily be fixed later if it is to be used in something like the GSL.
when I am king you will be first against the wall
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
November 09 2011 17:08 GMT
#95
On November 10 2011 01:53 Snijjer wrote:

I see you are so full of yourself you still don't understand the reasoning of the selection. Dedication and talent is all you need to succeed. But you didn't have the 'talent' to come up with a concept like Haven's Lagoon. There was no luck involved. And fun-factor is something you can control - it requires a little imagination and happens to be the most important part in map making.


Before you get into a personal attack you should make sure you understood correctly what was being said.
Clearly you didn´t!
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Apom
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
France656 Posts
November 09 2011 17:09 GMT
#96
On November 10 2011 01:53 Snijjer wrote:
Also to all the people hating on Haven's Lagoon:

It is clearly one of the top maps of the group. Map making is not about creating this beautiful landscape to fight on. Top players do not pay attention to that shit. The best map is one that is most enjoyable to play. Which is something he created by coming up with a whole new way using a map to change the way SC2 is played.

Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 01:29 Johanaz wrote:
Now that I´ve flipped a few tables I can understand the reasoning behind the selection.
Like trying to write a hit song; you can work really hard and do everything right, and still see people go for another tune.
Dedication, talent will only take you so far. A bit of luck and fun-factor is something you need but can´t control.


I see you are so full of yourself you still don't understand the reasoning of the selection. Dedication and talent is all you need to succeed. But you didn't have the 'talent' to come up with a concept like Haven's Lagoon. There was no luck involved. And fun-factor is something you can control - it requires a little imagination and happens to be the most important part in map making.

At this point I would like to interject that some players on the lower end of the skill scale care a lot about aesthetics. I have a friend in gold league who made me play ten games in a row on Bel'Shir Beach after I showed him the map being played on GSL, and he just laughs at me whenever I say that a map is imbalanced because so and so.

I do not intend to criticize or disrespect Timetwister at all ; quite the contrary, I think highly of his map. But, Blizzard has to care for an entire spectrum of players and their varying priorities, and I certainly hope that Timetwister accepts one of the proposals he has received for improving the technical aspects of his map (even if it's just coaching if he wants to retain credit as sole author, which I would understand).
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
November 09 2011 17:12 GMT
#97
YEAAAA ESV tearing it up!

Gratz to everyone, and I am so glad a non-teamed mapper got in the finals, it's good for all the aspiring mappers!
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
Tppz!
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany1449 Posts
November 09 2011 17:16 GMT
#98
I love the maps. Pretty awesome.
Im lookling forward to play Haven. Sounds very interesting. + props for all the intelligent mapfeatures ppl send in :>

grats to everyone
Snijjer
Profile Joined September 2011
United States989 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 17:21:32
November 09 2011 17:17 GMT
#99
On November 10 2011 02:08 Johanaz wrote:

Before you get into a personal attack you should make sure you understood correctly what was being said.
Clearly you didn´t!


That post wasn't aimed directly at you though I did quote you, it was more to everyone who was flabbergasted that a noob map like Haven got picked. But...

I thought this statement was pretty clear allusion to Haven's Lagoon.

"Dedication, talent will only take you so far. A bit of luck and fun-factor is something you need but can´t control."

Which is totally dismissing the map creators talent for making fun maps as something no one can control or luck. Am I missing something?
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
November 09 2011 17:18 GMT
#100
Alright, would like to share 2 of my submissions with the correspondig feedback so everyone see how and what they judged.

One Must Fall
pic: http://i.imgur.com/tOvHZ.jpg (large)
Feedback:
One Must Fall had the problem of isolating too many bases in easily defendable positions - except for the low mineral base in the center (which would have had to be changed anyway ). Essentially you are able to zone out lots of these bases with minimal units. Things like PFs, mass cannons/sentry etc become a lot stronger in these situations. Further, while the multiple paths was a good idea, personally I think they could be emphasized more - for me there isn't too much reason to kill the rocks since (in most cases) I can get around without doing so just fine.
Map Thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=192107

Lunar Station
pic: http://i.imgur.com/aAYXN.jpg (large)
Feedback: Lunar Station is a very good map. The first issue was the gold, where it's located makes it similar (in a way) to XNC i.e. planting a PF there is very very good for a Terran - more so than on XNC. The expansion layout, otherwise, was very well done. The split down the middle in addition to forcing you to expand outwards we felt would lead too much towards a counter attacking/base racey type game. That was basically the reason we didn't take it. But like I said, it did very well.



So i would assume Layout >>> rest. That's why this Lagoon map everyone is complaing about is in
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1070
WardiTV778
OGKoka 292
Rex158
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 415
OGKoka 292
Rex 158
ProTech123
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2278
Horang2 1372
Shuttle 1325
EffOrt 644
Jaedong 579
BeSt 495
Soma 414
Mini 327
Light 219
Stork 216
[ Show more ]
ZerO 190
ggaemo 150
Rush 117
Zeus 99
Killer 78
Barracks 73
Hyun 64
Shine 63
Sea.KH 45
Shinee 31
Bale 27
ToSsGirL 26
Yoon 25
Aegong 23
Mong 23
sorry 21
soO 19
Sexy 17
PianO 16
Sacsri 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
zelot 9
HiyA 8
yabsab 7
Icarus 7
Noble 7
Terrorterran 7
Dota 2
qojqva1906
Dendi1619
BananaSlamJamma285
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin694
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes372
Other Games
singsing2293
olofmeister1509
hiko732
B2W.Neo612
Lowko348
Sick229
Pyrionflax165
ArmadaUGS85
Mew2King42
Liquid`VortiX37
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream529
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH294
• StrangeGG 34
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2201
Other Games
• WagamamaTV242
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 59m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 59m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.