• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:59
CEST 00:59
KST 07:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7798 users

TL Mafia 3 [Night 5] - Page 18

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 100 Next
KH1031
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States862 Posts
November 02 2008 15:38 GMT
#341
How does lynching inactives help the town? Don't get me wrong, having inactives hurt the game, but I do not think it necessarily hurt the town.

Having inactives alive will create more buffer head counts in town. Having them dead just increases the number of dead blues.

I do, however, agree that we make everyone post so that we have some material to work with, as well as telling if they are active or not.
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
November 02 2008 15:41 GMT
#342
On November 03 2008 00:38 KH1031 wrote:
How does lynching inactives help the town? Don't get me wrong, having inactives hurt the game, but I do not think it necessarily hurt the town.

Having inactives alive will create more buffer head counts in town. Having them dead just increases the number of dead blues.

I do, however, agree that we make everyone post so that we have some material to work with, as well as telling if they are active or not.
Mafia kill actives
Actives actively vote
If it comes down to the wire town wants to maximize actives to avoid mafia vote rigging
hence killing inactive is good
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-02 15:44:31
November 02 2008 15:43 GMT
#343
I don't think lynching inactives is a very good idea. First of all it's pretty much clear that everyone should be active, hence the smaller game. Most of the people here previously played mafia and they know what to do. Lynching "inactives" is only good if it just so happens that they are mafia players trying to hide their votes, which to me doesn't seem overly smart. I agree keep those names in check, but don't kill off inactives because they didn't post. We should ONLY be killing people who have clues pointing towards them, which to me the most obvious choice is DecafChicken.

Also the game just got posted last night (like 1 AM if I recall). How can you already make a list of inactive players. Some people were sleeping? I read it because I saw it right before I went to sleep, but I couldn't post. Don't accuse people who don't post immediately of being mafia, fusion.
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
November 02 2008 15:44 GMT
#344
*Edited previous post for grammar errors
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
Mandalor
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
Germany2362 Posts
November 02 2008 15:46 GMT
#345
Whoever we vote to lynch now, I'd suggest not voting for the active clue checkers from last game. I will not name them to not give the mafia ideas, but if I was mafia again, I would definitely kill these people first. Mafia might use double-logic here and not kill them so that we do the job, but every day these people (I have three names in mind) are alive, will hurt the mafia.
If, however, they won't die within a few days, I suggest killing them.

Right now, voting for an inactive player seems to be the best idea since I don't think we can nail anyone based on so few clues.
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
November 02 2008 15:48 GMT
#346
On November 03 2008 00:38 KH1031 wrote:
How does lynching inactives help the town? Don't get me wrong, having inactives hurt the game, but I do not think it necessarily hurt the town.

Having inactives alive will create more buffer head counts in town. Having them dead just increases the number of dead blues.

I do, however, agree that we make everyone post so that we have some material to work with, as well as telling if they are active or not.


Its better to kill mafia than actives, but its better to kill inactives than inactives.

Since we dont know who is mafia yet, its better to kill inactives.

Because:

-Inactive (or just dont talk or analyze) mafia have a really easy time, and dont have to worry about saying the wrong thing, or accusing the wrong person etc. So by forcing mafia to be active, we increase their risk.

-When most people are inactive, the active people are more at risk from mafia hits. If mafia kills all the active people, they win, regardless of the amount of inactives left alive.

-We force people to make clue analysis. When someone dies, we can tell their motives (whether they were to trying to influence or decieve the town). Also, even a shitty clue analysis might lead toi a better clue analysis from someone else.

-By lynching inactives we force people to post, which is good based on the things above.

-we make it easier for a DT to post his findings subtly without being autotargeted by mafia.


inactives hurt us, and actives help us. By lynching actives, we increase participation, and make it harder for mafia.

This early in the game we wont really have any solid lynch-worthy clues, so this is our best option.
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
Infundibulum
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States2552 Posts
November 02 2008 15:49 GMT
#347
I just want to point out guys that clue analysis at this point seems very tenuous. Granted, I havent been able to find anything not aready mentioned, but the general anarchy, vengeance (vengeance was the theme, "pay the price"), and "embrace the moment" themes i think will be important later on. If you remember last game Chuius clues were always very vague in the beginning, and began to get stronger over time (which i suppose balances out mafia killing town members, or something.. but it makes sense )

also, ace, i like that plan to an extent but any mafia false claiming DT can really mess that up, as the town has no 100% way to verify what a DT says is true - although say we have 2 dts speak up and say one thing, and one dt says another, perhaps then that leads us to the mafia? though we also use many rolechecks this way...
LoL NA: MothLite == Steam: p0nd
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
November 02 2008 15:53 GMT
#348
On November 03 2008 00:43 Amber[LighT] wrote:
I don't think lynching inactives is a very good idea. First of all it's pretty much clear that everyone should be active, hence the smaller game. Most of the people here previously played mafia and they know what to do. Lynching "inactives" is only good if it just so happens that they are mafia players trying to hide their votes, which to me doesn't seem overly smart. I agree keep those names in check, but don't kill off inactives because they didn't post. We should ONLY be killing people who have clues pointing towards them, which to me the most obvious choice is DecafChicken.

Also the game just got posted last night (like 1 AM if I recall). How can you already make a list of inactive players. Some people were sleeping? I read it because I saw it right before I went to sleep, but I couldn't post. Don't accuse people who don't post immediately of being mafia, fusion.


we wont be lynching right away based on inactive

but if its like 4hours away from the deadline and you still havent posted anything useful to the town, you are useless, so why should we keep you?

Again, for the decaf clues:
[C:\Files\tl\Day 4.txt]
Line 5 : [4,3]Empyrean got up from his desk, thirsty, went to the break room for a cup of coffee.
Line 25 : [4,13]He got up to go get some coffee himself when he noticed five nails on the ground, he walked slowly over to them to investigate.

this is from last game. He was innocent. One mention of coffee is just not enogh to go on right now.

For the people on the list, just try to do something in the next couple of days

as long as you arent the most inactive person in the town, you are safe
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
KH1031
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States862 Posts
November 02 2008 15:54 GMT
#349
On November 03 2008 00:41 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2008 00:38 KH1031 wrote:
How does lynching inactives help the town? Don't get me wrong, having inactives hurt the game, but I do not think it necessarily hurt the town.

Having inactives alive will create more buffer head counts in town. Having them dead just increases the number of dead blues.

I do, however, agree that we make everyone post so that we have some material to work with, as well as telling if they are active or not.
Mafia kill actives
Actives actively vote
If it comes down to the wire town wants to maximize actives to avoid mafia vote rigging
hence killing inactive is good


I don't think we can assume that mafia will necessarily kill actives, what I would agree is that the mafia will kill the ones making the greatest threat to them:
1. They certainly won't kill active reds
2. They probably won't kill idiotic actives that interprets the clues wrong and leads the town in a wrong direction.


Also, I don't quite understanding how does maximizing actives avoid mafia vote rigging?
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
November 02 2008 15:55 GMT
#350
On November 03 2008 00:46 Mandalor wrote:
Whoever we vote to lynch now, I'd suggest not voting for the active clue checkers from last game. I will not name them to not give the mafia ideas, but if I was mafia again, I would definitely kill these people first. Mafia might use double-logic here and not kill them so that we do the job, but every day these people (I have three names in mind) are alive, will hurt the mafia.
If, however, they won't die within a few days, I suggest killing them.

Right now, voting for an inactive player seems to be the best idea since I don't think we can nail anyone based on so few clues.



agree fully on this. For the main reason that I (and most of the town) are familiar with their abilities/habits.

It will be harder for them to be mafia and still play the same as they did last game
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
ZBiR
Profile Blog Joined August 2003
Poland1092 Posts
November 02 2008 15:55 GMT
#351
On November 02 2008 23:21 Caller wrote:
22. aZnvaLiaNce (weak to moderate)
"Whoever wins, the battle does not end. The loser is set free from the battlefield, while the winner must remain there. And the survivor will live out his life as the warrior until the day he dies." -Big Boss aka Naked Snake
"Embrace the release that death brings you", he stated as he pulled the switch


This seems to me like a viable connection, aZnvaLiaNce should definately be watched.

Vengeance was the theme

couldn't this link to Unforgiven? (again )
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-02 15:57:58
November 02 2008 15:55 GMT
#352
On November 03 2008 00:49 iNfuNdiBuLuM wrote:
I just want to point out guys that clue analysis at this point seems very tenuous. Granted, I havent been able to find anything not aready mentioned, but the general anarchy, vengeance (vengeance was the theme, "pay the price"), and "embrace the moment" themes i think will be important later on. If you remember last game Chuius clues were always very vague in the beginning, and began to get stronger over time (which i suppose balances out mafia killing town members, or something.. but it makes sense )

also, ace, i like that plan to an extent but any mafia false claiming DT can really mess that up, as the town has no 100% way to verify what a DT says is true - although say we have 2 dts speak up and say one thing, and one dt says another, perhaps then that leads us to the mafia? though we also use many rolechecks this way...
We'd do the same thing we did for the mayor plan last game. If a detective speaks up we lynch him. If he's red he's dead (I love rhymes ) and if he's blue then we kill the person he spoke up about.

It may be unlikely that a DT would sacrifice himself...but it's all we got.
KH1031
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States862 Posts
November 02 2008 15:55 GMT
#353
I'm going to head out...and I'll try to read the rest of the rebuttals when I come back
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
November 02 2008 15:56 GMT
#354
On November 03 2008 00:49 iNfuNdiBuLuM wrote:
I just want to point out guys that clue analysis at this point seems very tenuous. Granted, I havent been able to find anything not aready mentioned, but the general anarchy, vengeance (vengeance was the theme, "pay the price"), and "embrace the moment" themes i think will be important later on. If you remember last game Chuius clues were always very vague in the beginning, and began to get stronger over time (which i suppose balances out mafia killing town members, or something.. but it makes sense )

also, ace, i like that plan to an extent but any mafia false claiming DT can really mess that up, as the town has no 100% way to verify what a DT says is true - although say we have 2 dts speak up and say one thing, and one dt says another, perhaps then that leads us to the mafia? though we also use many rolechecks this way...


Yeah I like the plan too.

Do we have to lynch the DT after he speeks up or what?
Otherwise we just have a rolecheck from a DT we cant trust on a DT we cant trust on a victim we cant trust
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
Infundibulum
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States2552 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-02 15:58:09
November 02 2008 15:56 GMT
#355
On November 03 2008 00:54 KH1031 wrote:


Also, I don't quite understanding how does maximizing actives avoid mafia vote rigging?

if less townies are voting, it's possible for some mafia to sway the lynch just by voting for that person. of course this is risky for them, if some DT is smart enough to check the vote list.
LoL NA: MothLite == Steam: p0nd
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
November 02 2008 15:57 GMT
#356
I agree with fusionsdf, eliminating inactives when there are no strong clues pointing to any mafia as of yet is the safest way. It doesn't eliminate any clue analysts, and it might hit a mafia who is keeping quiet or is inactive as well. There is no need to keep inactives in the long run - they rarely vote or post, and it's not likely that mafia would try to hit an inactive when there are good analysts posting regularly in the thread.
Peace~
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
November 02 2008 15:58 GMT
#357
Posting cos I don't want to be on that inactive list anymore. I've got a huge assignment due in tomorrow so I can't really put much content here till it's done.
Their are four errors in this sentance.
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-02 16:03:16
November 02 2008 16:02 GMT
#358
On November 03 2008 00:55 Falcynn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2008 00:49 iNfuNdiBuLuM wrote:
I just want to point out guys that clue analysis at this point seems very tenuous. Granted, I havent been able to find anything not aready mentioned, but the general anarchy, vengeance (vengeance was the theme, "pay the price"), and "embrace the moment" themes i think will be important later on. If you remember last game Chuius clues were always very vague in the beginning, and began to get stronger over time (which i suppose balances out mafia killing town members, or something.. but it makes sense )

also, ace, i like that plan to an extent but any mafia false claiming DT can really mess that up, as the town has no 100% way to verify what a DT says is true - although say we have 2 dts speak up and say one thing, and one dt says another, perhaps then that leads us to the mafia? though we also use many rolechecks this way...
We'd do the same thing we did for the mayor plan last game. If a detective speaks up we lynch him. If he's red he's dead (I love rhymes ) and if he's blue then we kill the person he spoke up about.

It may be unlikely that a DT would sacrifice himself...but it's all we got.

This.

Wouldn't it be safer to lynch the person he spoke up about, and if he DOESN'T come up red then lynch the DT? By lynching the DT you have a 1:1 ratio of blue : red losses at best. With the idea I just posted, a DT who has verified himself by giving a red name could keep producing results, thus being far more useful to the town than was if he was dead. It would also take away the whole sacrifice element that would prevent DTs from speaking up; I think they would become relative loners and would try to make posts that are convincing but not too convincing, acting as one of the analysts, in order to hide their role, and their factual knowledge of who is mafia and who isn't could be lost.
Peace~
Infundibulum
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States2552 Posts
November 02 2008 16:02 GMT
#359
On November 03 2008 00:56 fusionsdf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2008 00:49 iNfuNdiBuLuM wrote:
I just want to point out guys that clue analysis at this point seems very tenuous. Granted, I havent been able to find anything not aready mentioned, but the general anarchy, vengeance (vengeance was the theme, "pay the price"), and "embrace the moment" themes i think will be important later on. If you remember last game Chuius clues were always very vague in the beginning, and began to get stronger over time (which i suppose balances out mafia killing town members, or something.. but it makes sense )

also, ace, i like that plan to an extent but any mafia false claiming DT can really mess that up, as the town has no 100% way to verify what a DT says is true - although say we have 2 dts speak up and say one thing, and one dt says another, perhaps then that leads us to the mafia? though we also use many rolechecks this way...


Yeah I like the plan too.

Do we have to lynch the DT after he speeks up or what?
Otherwise we just have a rolecheck from a DT we cant trust on a DT we cant trust on a victim we cant trust


lynching would confirm, although it seems like an awful waste of a DT to me. there is probably a better way to go about this, albeit more indirect.
LoL NA: MothLite == Steam: p0nd
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
November 02 2008 16:03 GMT
#360
basically;
fusion plan for today
Ace plan longterm imo
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 100 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O189
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 492
ZZZero.O 189
Hyun 109
Dota 2
monkeys_forever427
League of Legends
Doublelift4032
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4252
Liquid`Hasu471
Other Games
summit1g14235
FrodaN1607
JimRising 384
KnowMe239
Livibee193
ViBE95
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick821
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 125
• Adnapsc2 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra1085
Other Games
• imaqtpie1101
• Shiphtur445
• tFFMrPink 12
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 1m
Patches Events
16h 1m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 1m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 1m
OSC
1d
OSC
1d 13h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.