• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:57
CEST 22:57
KST 05:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6758 users

TL Mafia Plays: Diplomacy - Page 35

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 54 Next
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
April 20 2016 02:44 GMT
#681
I do wonder what satisfaction people get from "making friends over diplomacy" as that is different than making friends over the Internet.

I would consider, say, Xatalos an online friend (already had his skype before the game- we don't chat much but hey) but rayn? Lol we practically hate each other. Yet who allied whom in this game?

So when I say circle jerk? It is because the same people seem to ally the same way most games. But then, is that all that is going on or is it a coincidental by-product of other circumstances?

So I use circle jerk not about alliance, but about old tired alliance that starts to seem like school children in a "boys only" club or something. I see the 33% irony.

For what it's worth, I think it would be very healing of the anally wounded TL diplomats to play a no-press game. Except to me, as the curse dictates I will roll Russia.

If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
April 20 2016 03:16 GMT
#682
I don't hate you Slam, lol.
table for two on a tv tray
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
April 20 2016 04:41 GMT
#683
On April 20 2016 12:16 raynpelikoneet wrote:
I don't hate you Slam, lol.

Sson this is because you have forgotten as I have that one game where I said to lynch Marv day 1 so he lynches me while I was tutoring
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
April 20 2016 05:36 GMT
#684
What you on about rayn? Of course I'm playing to win, unless you only consider soloing to be a win.

On April 20 2016 05:19 mderg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 03:04 JieXian wrote:
On April 19 2016 06:47 mderg wrote:
On April 19 2016 03:52 JieXian wrote:
On April 19 2016 03:19 mderg wrote:
I expected drama, I got drama, I'm happy.


mderg the coolcat still going strong :D

not sure about the going strong part but at least this game was a fun experience for me.

I meant emotionally

I just found out that rayn deleted me from skype

In the end you just have to live with the way people play the game. And I know how I play the game, so there is not much that can surprise me.
Getting deleted from skype over a diplomacy game is something I also have experience with


Hahahahhhahhaha wink wink
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
April 20 2016 22:52 GMT
#685
On April 20 2016 14:36 JieXian wrote:
What you on about rayn? Of course I'm playing to win, unless you only consider soloing to be a win.

Show nested quote +
On April 20 2016 05:19 mderg wrote:
On April 20 2016 03:04 JieXian wrote:
On April 19 2016 06:47 mderg wrote:
On April 19 2016 03:52 JieXian wrote:
On April 19 2016 03:19 mderg wrote:
I expected drama, I got drama, I'm happy.


mderg the coolcat still going strong :D

not sure about the going strong part but at least this game was a fun experience for me.

I meant emotionally

I just found out that rayn deleted me from skype

In the end you just have to live with the way people play the game. And I know how I play the game, so there is not much that can surprise me.
Getting deleted from skype over a diplomacy game is something I also have experience with


Hahahahhhahhaha wink wink

So you have not recognized that we are soloists?

So then, patronize no more those who have had enough of it.
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
mderg
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany1740 Posts
April 21 2016 20:52 GMT
#686
Only soloing is truly satisfying. If you don't go into the game wanting to solo win, you're doing it wrong. Of course games never go as planned, though, so drawing is often an acceptable choice.
Xatalos
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland9675 Posts
April 21 2016 21:37 GMT
#687
I don't think there's a conclusive answer to the question if a "soloist" attitude is the only correct one.

I'm under the impression that originally, soloing was treated as the main goal of the game and drawing was considered an unfortunate result that happened sometimes when nobody managed to solo. It's also vastly easier to solo when there are variations in skill level etc. So when playing games where players don't consider stalemate lines or different endgame scenarios, it's much easier to end up with a solo.

Then again, if all of the players are very skilled and especially if they consider drawing as a good result, it's quite hard to solo. This is the situation in tournaments, high-ranked ladder etc. Just looking at the stats, it seems like a 3-way draw is the most common result by far. I think 4-way draws were also more common than solo victories. It's basically much more stable and risk-free to aim for something like a 3/4-way draw, which means it's often the optimal route if you want to place high in tournaments or ladder. If you aim for solo, you usually also take much bigger risks that may actually lead to your elimination or larger draws.

Personally I think soloing is considerably more satisfying than drawing. Draws always have the feeling that the players just gave up on the game and settled for a suboptimal result. That being the case, I always aim to open a path for soloing if possible. However, in many cases it's too much risk for too little reward (for example, converting a pretty sure 3-way draw into a small chance of solo and a big chance of elimination). That's why I have a couple of solo victories in my ranked games, but the overwhelming majority are 3/4-way draws with a couple of solo victories and defeats mixed in.

I guess you could say that I have a slight preference for solo victories, but it's not to the extent that I'd call myself a "soloist" To each their own style, I guess.

By the way, I read somewhere that the most successful ranked strategy was indeed maintaining a good reputation and aiming for 3-way draws. It may lead to slower rank progress in the short term, but you also lose much more rarely that way and experience less grudges from other players. Well, I think there were also some top ranked players who focused on soloing.
"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
April 22 2016 04:30 GMT
#688
yea of course I go in wanting to solo win but I have to be realistic about what is achievable haha
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
April 22 2016 04:51 GMT
#689
On April 22 2016 13:30 JieXian wrote:
yea of course I go in wanting to solo win but I have to be realistic about what is achievable haha

This is true, solo turkey almost impossible.
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
April 22 2016 18:03 GMT
#690
Page 35 ftw
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Xatalos
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland9675 Posts
April 25 2016 10:55 GMT
#691
Only 1 center left
"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu
rsoultin
Profile Blog Joined November 2014
Netherlands15308 Posts
April 25 2016 11:13 GMT
#692
lol yup xP
"rsoultin: Mafia Suicide Inducer...you have unlimited shots because you are so god-damn relentless." - marvellosity (2015)
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-04-25 17:41:27
April 25 2016 17:40 GMT
#693
It's a be mine! I cannae do naethng

If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
April 25 2016 17:53 GMT
#694
On April 25 2016 19:55 Xatalos wrote:
Only 1 center left


gg giggle giggle giggle
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
April 25 2016 20:57 GMT
#695
And indeed as I figured my best moves could have done nothing. Rels was too greedy so I cannot support London. Even if I could have, it's never have lasted.

Not

Smart

This juggernaut play. Russia always comes out on top, folks playing turkey think it's a double win but it's really just mercy. I'd be surprised to find a scenario where they win and Russia would not have been able to eventually conquer Turkey.

So

While I still expect Russia-Turkey alliances, NEWSFLASH!~ everyone else needs to actually attack Russia!

Otherwise, why are we even doing these?
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
April 25 2016 21:13 GMT
#696
Meh I am an extremely bitter fish.
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Xatalos
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland9675 Posts
April 25 2016 21:47 GMT
#697
Russia has lost many TL diplo games so far, it's not like it's OP Just slightly on the stronger side of the countries along with France. It also relies the most on diplomacy along with Austria and Germany. If you fail diplomatically, you will die immediately. If you succeed, you're stronger than usual. Same with Austria and Germany.

With Turkey or England, it's difficult to be eliminated unless you fail a lot. On the other hand, it's difficult to solo either.

So it's just slight differences in areas of strengths and styles of play for different countries. It's unfair to say that Russia is auto-win IMO Even in a strong Juggernaut.
"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
April 26 2016 01:45 GMT
#698
On April 26 2016 06:47 Xatalos wrote:
Russia has lost many TL diplo games so far, it's not like it's OP Just slightly on the stronger side of the countries along with France. It also relies the most on diplomacy along with Austria and Germany. If you fail diplomatically, you will die immediately. If you succeed, you're stronger than usual. Same with Austria and Germany.

With Turkey or England, it's difficult to be eliminated unless you fail a lot. On the other hand, it's difficult to solo either.

So it's just slight differences in areas of strengths and styles of play for different countries. It's unfair to say that Russia is auto-win IMO Even in a strong Juggernaut.

Yes! The ones where Russia was attacked!

No but I know. I am just a bitter fish
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Xatalos
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland9675 Posts
April 26 2016 16:36 GMT
#699
The key to winning at Diplomacy is not being attacked while attacking from superior positions at good timings, no matter the country Offense is the best defense!

Even though the game immediately went into a weird direction because you attacked me right away... haha
"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
April 26 2016 16:48 GMT
#700
Is there going to be a 2nd game? I'll definitely join if there's room.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 544
JuggernautJason26
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 665
Dewaltoss 105
firebathero 94
Zeus 73
Trap 42
910 29
Bale 26
NaDa 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever322
Counter-Strike
edward210
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS130
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4566
Liquid`Hasu2000
Other Games
summit1g5954
byalli455
shahzam448
C9.Mang0168
KnowMe132
UpATreeSC94
Chillindude30
Trikslyr25
Railgan17
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV218
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream167
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 73
• Adnapsc2 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 30
• Azhi_Dahaki26
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur315
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 3m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 3m
Stellar Fest
16h 3m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.