• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:38
CEST 11:38
KST 18:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10448 users

Pick Your Power Interesting! - Page 17

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 82 Next
JimboSilvers
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom167 Posts
October 12 2011 19:29 GMT
#321
Oh, btw, if we do decide to focus on investigative roles, we should have the inventor invent a police radio first, as I think it would be more helpful than a single vote-list check. (Inventor can't make the same thing twice)
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
October 12 2011 19:31 GMT
#322
On October 13 2011 04:18 sandroba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2011 03:56 chaoser wrote:
On October 13 2011 03:50 GreYMisT wrote:
On October 13 2011 03:46 chaoser wrote:
On October 13 2011 03:44 GreYMisT wrote:
Radfield the main problem I see with your plan is that we have given scum the perfect place to shoot for the first 2 nights.




Mafia would shoot into the top of the list anyway?


Fair enough, but I'm uncomfortable with letting them know they have a 1/5 of hitting inventor by doing so. I perfer a plan where we pick following general guidelines. As someone said this gives mafia less of an opportunity to screw up everything, and already sets us up with good roles.


Mafia might know where inventor is but so would medics?

@sandroba, I understand the hole let mafia fight over roles thing but the fact of the matter is, even if they fight over it, SOMEONE is going to get the inventor. SOMEONE is going to get the assassin. I'd rather know where they are and who has it than not know where it is and not know who has it. Town doesn't necessarily have to get those roles. As long as we know who has it and where it is, we have total control over the role. Ver (I think) talked about this in previous PYP games where he said CPR doc/CV is a horrible pick for mafia since you'll probably be controlled by town as long as they know where you are and who has it. So lets get some accountability up in this mother.

We will have no control no matter what. Mafia gets assigned assassin, they take w/e the fuck they want in their top pick and leave the last guy on the team to pick assassin. Until we lynch/kill the top pick guy assassin lays low and when he finally dies we still have THE SAME PROBLEM which is the hidden assassin. Acomplishes nothing.


Just because assassin can do that doesn't when that'll work for the other roles. Inventor is easy enough to see. So if thief and role swapper.

And it's not like the top people will be "staying low" the whole point of this is to put inherent pressure on those in the top. Every single thing they say and do will be scrutinized.

Also, it's easy enough to confirm top assassin. We'll have a bunch of investigative roles like you said we should get so once we find a mafia we make the assassin kill them then and there. The PM sent is secret but the death is immediate so we can see that they're doing it. Even if they're mafia killing another mafia family, it's still an action that's under our control.

We can decrease the top 5 list into a top 3 list if that's better but so far accountability is better than nothing.
Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
chaoser
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States5541 Posts
October 12 2011 19:32 GMT
#323
On October 13 2011 04:24 JimboSilvers wrote:
As someone (kita I think) so eloquently pointed out, we can assign all we want, but it's not going to help us keep them accountable.

Look at it from their point of view:
If you get assigned inventor, pick Hero or BP, let a teammate pick inventor. If we find out, we vig/lynch the top player. Sure it's a red, but it doesn't help the fact that we still don't know where the inventor is.

Make sense?


On October 13 2011 04:26 heist wrote:
And as Radfield put it, the alternative is not knowing who the inventor is AND not getting a red kill.


Haven't you heard? I'm not an ex-progamer. I'm not a poker player. I'm not an admin of the site. I'm mother fucking Rekrul.
Jackal58
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4264 Posts
October 12 2011 20:08 GMT
#324
So how are you going to compel people to reveal what their draft pick number is?
Life can only kill you once.
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
October 12 2011 20:11 GMT
#325
Draft pick orders are public?
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
Jackal58
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4264 Posts
October 12 2011 20:11 GMT
#326
On October 13 2011 05:11 kitaman27 wrote:
Draft pick orders are public?

Are they? I don't remember.
Life can only kill you once.
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
October 12 2011 20:12 GMT
#327
Yep.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
Radfield
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada2720 Posts
October 12 2011 20:15 GMT
#328
Finally getting some good arguments, and finally getting some good support. This is good stuff.

Jimbo, I hear what you're saying, and agree with much of it. I also understand your point analogy very well. However in this case I'm imagining that the accountability picks are effective against all three mafia teams, hence giving us a leg up on all of them. Not only vs 1 particular team(in fact I'm not even sure how that would work at this stage)

I also agree that it is likely the top picks will be fiercely targeted by the mafia. However, I'm ok with that as if the thief, Roleswapper and assassin all die that is ok with me. Inventor we want to protect, and we can heap our protection upon him.

Also, and I want to stress this, mafia are more likely to have those dangerous top spots. Although there are more townies numerically, each mafia team gets to co-ordinate their picks, meaning they are far less likely to collide. This means that the potential killing ground of picks 1-5 is not so bad for town after all.

And since mafia are getting those top picks anyways, we might as well assign them to them, no?

On October 13 2011 03:23 syllogism wrote:
So what happens if we assign, say, thief to #1 and he ends up being mafia, picks Hero/veteran instead and lets his buddy near the bottom get thief who then steals inventor or some other role? The #1 player can claim RB for instance, so we will have to waste a check on him anyway and even then there's the issue of actually lynching him. I suppose we can still deal with it if town has KP, but they could also have a medic role. The point being, the setup is quite complex and I'm not completely convinced the perceived "accountability" is worth the trade of having mafia know where the roles are.

There's even no guarantee that town will get the role cop roles.


This is an excellent point. In fact, I think the main problem people have with the accountability picks is the threat of mafia letting the picks slip down to a scumbuddy. So, what if we added in a player who takes one of the top picks randomly, just to see if there is slippage going on:

#1 Inventor
#2 Assassin
#3 Thief
#4 Role Swapper
#5 25% chance of either Inventor, Assassin, Thief or Swapper

or

#1 Inventor
#2 Thief
#3 Role Swapper
#4 33% chance of either Inventor, Thief or Swapper

Something like this. That makes it much more risky to try and let a role slip down to a scum buddy. Honestly, I'm not necessarily sold that we NEED to have accountability picks, but I do think they have potential to be advantageous to town.

Keep in mind, the only real goal is to NOT let the inventor fall into the hands of an anonymous mafia player. I think this is a good goal, and one worthy of discussion.
Radfield
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada2720 Posts
October 12 2011 20:18 GMT
#329
On October 13 2011 03:48 kitaman27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2011 19:15 Radfield wrote:
First off, by 'not worthy of a pick' I meant that we don't need to assign a slot to keep the role accountable. Not that no townie should ever pick it. Lets assume you knew this though.


Well by not including it in your tier list or "top 28 town roles" list, you're essentially suggesting that it doesn't have much value. I'm saying I still think its one of the most powerful roles and if we're going to have a town priority list, it needs to be present.



You're right. CPR doc should be on the priority list.
Erandorr
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
2283 Posts
October 12 2011 20:33 GMT
#330
Radfield I do not think your suggestion of using a high pick to control the top votes is such a good idea.

If the person asigned to check it is Town and manages to get the role then great, you get a very strong role and a Scum player right at the start.
If the person he checks took the role assigned to him, then we lose a potentially high pick.

The big problem will be , however, if the person checking is Scum. He could mess with town fairly easily

He could lie about taking the role and taking something else , which is strong for his team. Its a win/win for him, if the other guy is Scum too and did not take the role, then he can't really say something, since it would expose him too. If the guy took the role assigned to him, then he did not lie and get a free role for himself.

If 1 faction is really lucky and coordinated and has 2 people in the top five, they have a ton of ways to mess with us as well and the second guy could claim VT or something and take godfather. How could anyone identify easily where the scum went active after that?
deconduo
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Ireland4122 Posts
October 12 2011 20:42 GMT
#331
I have another idea, haven't really thought it through completely but I'd like to hear some feedback on it. In my head it works

If we all take pro-town roles that mafia have no interest in, and let mafia juke it out for the anti-town ones. They haven little/no incentive for taking the pro-town roles as said above, as its too much of a disadvantage vs their rivals, This will probably end up with a much higher chance of mafia overlapping on picks and means that we'll have a much higher amount of good town roles in the game.

Variant: We make out a full list of picks and leave all the anti-town roles out of it. If mafia want to take one of them, they have to lie about their pick which we may be able to pick up on later. This relies on everyone cooperating and means that townie's roles will be exposed (mafia can/will lie and pick elsewhere). It makes it a lot easier to catch mafia out however.

Thoughts?
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
October 12 2011 20:56 GMT
#332
^That's basically what Sandroba said.

Too bad watcher doesn't work like normal. I just thought that we could assign inventor, and then have a watcher on him every single night. That would ward off hits and stop role-thiefs. If the inventor ever claimed to have his role stolen, or died, then the watcher would have a short-list for the culprit. Too bad it's only number, and not identity. No back-fires that medics don't have as well, either.

I'm getting what Jimbo is saying and where he's coming from, but I think I'm leaning towards Radfield's plan. The only drawback for that, is if a townie is dumb and doesn't pick what he's supposed to, because then we run into problems for if a mafia grabs their role lower down the list. A good thing, would be to probably just assign the inventor, then maybe the role-stealing roles, like Radfield is saying. This lets us keep roles where they should be, and only lets mafia kill or RB inventor, not steal it. Then the rest of town just focus on picking pro-town roles, and we can perhaps make a tier-list to avoid overlap.

Have we explored the possibility of using PMs to help with role-picking at all? I think there might be a way they could be utilized, but can't come up with a plan to use them off the top of my head.
you gotta dance
Cyber_Cheese
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia3615 Posts
October 12 2011 21:05 GMT
#333
On October 13 2011 05:56 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
^That's basically what Sandroba said.

Too bad watcher doesn't work like normal. I just thought that we could assign inventor, and then have a watcher on him every single night. That would ward off hits and stop role-thiefs. If the inventor ever claimed to have his role stolen, or died, then the watcher would have a short-list for the culprit. Too bad it's only number, and not identity. No back-fires that medics don't have as well, either.

I'm getting what Jimbo is saying and where he's coming from, but I think I'm leaning towards Radfield's plan. The only drawback for that, is if a townie is dumb and doesn't pick what he's supposed to, because then we run into problems for if a mafia grabs their role lower down the list. A good thing, would be to probably just assign the inventor, then maybe the role-stealing roles, like Radfield is saying. This lets us keep roles where they should be, and only lets mafia kill or RB inventor, not steal it. Then the rest of town just focus on picking pro-town roles, and we can perhaps make a tier-list to avoid overlap.

Have we explored the possibility of using PMs to help with role-picking at all? I think there might be a way they could be utilized, but can't come up with a plan to use them off the top of my head.


Unless an invention could buff the watchers power?
The moment you lose confidence in yourself, is the moment the world loses it's confidence in you.
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
October 12 2011 21:07 GMT
#334
On October 13 2011 06:05 Cyber_Cheese wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2011 05:56 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
^That's basically what Sandroba said.

Too bad watcher doesn't work like normal. I just thought that we could assign inventor, and then have a watcher on him every single night. That would ward off hits and stop role-thiefs. If the inventor ever claimed to have his role stolen, or died, then the watcher would have a short-list for the culprit. Too bad it's only number, and not identity. No back-fires that medics don't have as well, either.

I'm getting what Jimbo is saying and where he's coming from, but I think I'm leaning towards Radfield's plan. The only drawback for that, is if a townie is dumb and doesn't pick what he's supposed to, because then we run into problems for if a mafia grabs their role lower down the list. A good thing, would be to probably just assign the inventor, then maybe the role-stealing roles, like Radfield is saying. This lets us keep roles where they should be, and only lets mafia kill or RB inventor, not steal it. Then the rest of town just focus on picking pro-town roles, and we can perhaps make a tier-list to avoid overlap.

Have we explored the possibility of using PMs to help with role-picking at all? I think there might be a way they could be utilized, but can't come up with a plan to use them off the top of my head.


Unless an invention could buff the watchers power?

Inventions can only be used once, so it wouldn't work, and it doesn't do anything to help on the first night, which is likely when mafia will strike.
you gotta dance
Cyber_Cheese
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia3615 Posts
October 12 2011 21:08 GMT
#335
Or we could choose to elect the inventor, thus making him immune to attack?
The moment you lose confidence in yourself, is the moment the world loses it's confidence in you.
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
October 12 2011 21:17 GMT
#336
On October 13 2011 06:08 Cyber_Cheese wrote:
Or we could choose to elect the inventor, thus making him immune to attack?


I like that idea, although it gives an incredible amount of power to a single player and prevents anybody from role checking him.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
October 12 2011 21:22 GMT
#337
On October 13 2011 06:17 kitaman27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2011 06:08 Cyber_Cheese wrote:
Or we could choose to elect the inventor, thus making him immune to attack?


I like that idea, although it gives an incredible amount of power to a single player and prevents anybody from role checking him.

On October 03 2011 14:51 Protactinium wrote:
Role Changelog:
Elected officials no longer are immune to role checks.

We're good, there. Also, it's not as bad as normal if red's elected, because his first lynch has the possibility of hitting other mafia, and he doesn't represent all of the mafia.

The only problem, is cover roles.
you gotta dance
Meapak_Ziphh
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6789 Posts
October 12 2011 21:36 GMT
#338
On October 13 2011 06:08 Cyber_Cheese wrote:
Or we could choose to elect the inventor, thus making him immune to attack?

I like this idea, a lot tbh.

This brings up the subject of elections. Do we try and elect from people within the top spots to try and give them a little extra protection? Personally I see this as a great way to reduce the strain on our medics and give roles such as the inventor a longer lifespan. If the inventor turns out to be mafia then we'd known pretty quickly because he wouldn't be inventing stuff that helps the town. In that case he's outed himself and we lynch a scum. The only real damage a mafia mayor can do is with his lynch and even then, if he lynches someone who's been helping the town then we can just lynch him the next day.

I see no real downside to making the inventor mayor. The upsides of having a near invincible townie far outweigh the downsides of having to burn a lynch on the mayor. Think about it, the mayor's lynch is going to be closely scrutinized and every invention is going to be scrutinized as well. If the mayor/inventor is scum then they HAVE to do what the town wants in order to stay alive. And even if they're scum and they do whatever we want but get caught by a DT, it's not like the mayor is unlynchable :D
Forti et Fideli ~ TL Mafia Forum: Come play with us! ~ Go Samsung KHAN, Stork, JangBi , Shine, Grape, and TurN Fighting!~ wat
Meapak_Ziphh
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6789 Posts
October 12 2011 21:37 GMT
#339
/thinking out loud.
Forti et Fideli ~ TL Mafia Forum: Come play with us! ~ Go Samsung KHAN, Stork, JangBi , Shine, Grape, and TurN Fighting!~ wat
wherebugsgo
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Japan10647 Posts
October 12 2011 21:39 GMT
#340
What exactly is the police radio?

I see the term being thrown around but I don't believe it was specified.
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 82 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 6686
Horang2 548
Hyuk 428
BeSt 378
Stork 127
Killer 117
sorry 85
Hyun 82
ggaemo 79
Shinee 74
[ Show more ]
Bonyth 53
Pusan 43
Snow 42
Hm[arnc] 40
Bale 33
JYJ 24
Noble 8
League of Legends
JimRising 530
Other Games
gofns37625
singsing1887
Mew2King77
ArmadaUGS60
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick605
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream135
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 52
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2319
League of Legends
• Lourlo1423
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23m
INu's Battles
2h 23m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h 23m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 23m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 23m
Replay Cast
13h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.