• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:16
CEST 03:16
KST 10:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9116 users

Another game from me soon...? - Page 3

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 11 2010 00:15 GMT
#41
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
BloodyC0bbler
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Canada7876 Posts
April 11 2010 01:33 GMT
#42
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.
#3 Member of the Chill Fanclub / Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaeger died. --Ser Jorah Mormont TL MAFIA FORUM http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 go go !
citi.zen
Profile Joined April 2009
2509 Posts
April 11 2010 01:37 GMT
#43
On April 11 2010 06:59 Ver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 05:19 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 04:31 Ver wrote:
Pro gaming one sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Games like Ace's with all the mystery and intrigue can be rather interesting since there is a lot of unknown potentials with how the game will turn out and plenty of room to make interesting plays. Though games where multiple individual townies can kill people without consent generally makes for a mafia favored game, so any future attempts of that style should tweak mafia counts and powers appropriately.

My issue with the bot games isn't the bot itself but more of the format. The low numbers require a very tight setup without much variation and the no pm'ing rule further restricts possibilities. What you end up with is a system with limited possibilities: there are only so many ideas (very few) that you can really pull off in such 9 person formats, even if you lift the pm'ing restriction. If it were possible to vary up the number of people (more people=exponentially more possibilities both in play and roles) who can play each time then yes it could become a consistent feature.

It's still a good idea to have the minigames going on sometimes for change of pace and such but I think that if the games are too frequent it will get stale very fast.

Also if anyone wants to double-check that their game is balanced properly and has no major loophole/gameplay issues just pm me.

They aren't mafia favored. Town just retards the fuck up intensely every game. If they're going to do that, they deserve to lose.


Normally all the retards don't have the power to alter the game as they see fit, especially on days 1/2. So there is more room for better players to take the lead since each individual player only has so much power. It's not like a one time thing either i,e caller going "i got half drunk and vigied ace lolol." All it takes is one person and not only does the town have to deal with that person but they also have to deal with the expanded chaos which is for the most part going to be very bad for the town as now everyone else can and will start doing it too. The amount of influence one bad player has over the game is gigantic in the 'everyone has a day kill power' format. Not nearly as much in normal games no matter what their role.

Even in a much higher skill level game I could see things going awry simply because one person isn't playing that well or they get duped or something and take matters into their own hands and set off a massive chain reaction.

Another way to look at it though is that we need to improve people at playing (town usually) but honestly I have no idea how at this point. The stickied thread has enough good advice to get people to quite a solid playing level but it seems nobody really follows it that well. Anyone have ideas?

Agreed. Someone will always propose a "no snapping policy" yet you damn well know someone will be thrown off tilt / manipulated / want to be a hero / get bored, etc. will pretty much set off a chain reaction and distract the town with useless "policy lynches" for a long time.

As far as improving people... honestly there are very very few players I can say have actually improved since I started playing here. Most start with a certain skill-set and come constraints that never change: attention span; time commitment; critical thinking ability; etc. Experience in and of itself is overrated and can sometimes even be detrimental. So I am not very optimistic on this front.
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 11 2010 01:47 GMT
#44
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
BloodyC0bbler
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Canada7876 Posts
April 11 2010 01:50 GMT
#45
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.
#3 Member of the Chill Fanclub / Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaeger died. --Ser Jorah Mormont TL MAFIA FORUM http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 go go !
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 11 2010 02:15 GMT
#46
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
BloodyC0bbler
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Canada7876 Posts
April 11 2010 02:20 GMT
#47
On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.


Good plan. Incog and myself had planned on doing something rather abusive in your game before ver and qatol told him how abusive it would be. Bus driver is a role I would request not be in your next game, way to many issues with it.
#3 Member of the Chill Fanclub / Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaeger died. --Ser Jorah Mormont TL MAFIA FORUM http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 go go !
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 11 2010 02:23 GMT
#48
On April 11 2010 11:20 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.


Good plan. Incog and myself had planned on doing something rather abusive in your game before ver and qatol told him how abusive it would be. Bus driver is a role I would request not be in your next game, way to many issues with it.

It's never going back in.
Though it's hilarious.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
L
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada4732 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-11 02:37:17
April 11 2010 02:31 GMT
#49
On April 11 2010 10:37 citi.zen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 06:59 Ver wrote:
On April 11 2010 05:19 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 04:31 Ver wrote:
Pro gaming one sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Games like Ace's with all the mystery and intrigue can be rather interesting since there is a lot of unknown potentials with how the game will turn out and plenty of room to make interesting plays. Though games where multiple individual townies can kill people without consent generally makes for a mafia favored game, so any future attempts of that style should tweak mafia counts and powers appropriately.

My issue with the bot games isn't the bot itself but more of the format. The low numbers require a very tight setup without much variation and the no pm'ing rule further restricts possibilities. What you end up with is a system with limited possibilities: there are only so many ideas (very few) that you can really pull off in such 9 person formats, even if you lift the pm'ing restriction. If it were possible to vary up the number of people (more people=exponentially more possibilities both in play and roles) who can play each time then yes it could become a consistent feature.

It's still a good idea to have the minigames going on sometimes for change of pace and such but I think that if the games are too frequent it will get stale very fast.

Also if anyone wants to double-check that their game is balanced properly and has no major loophole/gameplay issues just pm me.

They aren't mafia favored. Town just retards the fuck up intensely every game. If they're going to do that, they deserve to lose.


Normally all the retards don't have the power to alter the game as they see fit, especially on days 1/2. So there is more room for better players to take the lead since each individual player only has so much power. It's not like a one time thing either i,e caller going "i got half drunk and vigied ace lolol." All it takes is one person and not only does the town have to deal with that person but they also have to deal with the expanded chaos which is for the most part going to be very bad for the town as now everyone else can and will start doing it too. The amount of influence one bad player has over the game is gigantic in the 'everyone has a day kill power' format. Not nearly as much in normal games no matter what their role.

Even in a much higher skill level game I could see things going awry simply because one person isn't playing that well or they get duped or something and take matters into their own hands and set off a massive chain reaction.

Another way to look at it though is that we need to improve people at playing (town usually) but honestly I have no idea how at this point. The stickied thread has enough good advice to get people to quite a solid playing level but it seems nobody really follows it that well. Anyone have ideas?

Agreed. Someone will always propose a "no snapping policy" yet you damn well know someone will be thrown off tilt / manipulated / want to be a hero / get bored, etc. will pretty much set off a chain reaction and distract the town with useless "policy lynches" for a long time.

As far as improving people... honestly there are very very few players I can say have actually improved since I started playing here. Most start with a certain skill-set and come constraints that never change: attention span; time commitment; critical thinking ability; etc. Experience in and of itself is overrated and can sometimes even be detrimental. So I am not very optimistic on this front.

It isn't the format that's the problem, its the players.

Period.

Some of the players that we have playing with us in our games are very bad and go beyond refusing to improve; they actively try to fuck their team over if they're vanilla townies. If that's the case, town will and should lose barring a herculean effort from other parties.

These players will be day 1 lynch targets in every game they join, as they should be. If they decide to learn, maybe they can move past that stage.

Edit: you can claim this is about our methods of teaching new players, but the majority of large issues are with older players who have been here for months and refuse to step it up. Some of our newer players and mods are absolutely fantastic. Flamewheel's awesome. Haster plays very well, etc. Some people, by contrast, have been dog-shit terrible since mafia 1.
The number you have dialed is out of porkchops.
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-11 02:57:46
April 11 2010 02:48 GMT
#50
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

Speaking as one of the players who winds up taking over, I would be all for letting other people take over, but the problem I have run into time and time again is that nobody else really tries to step up, or other people keep telling me to step up and start calling me out if I don't. I don't really know what the solution is to this. One thing we tried in Incog's Mafia XVI was letting a big-name player smurf and play not to win, but to teach. Unfortunately, if you post too much like that, it is pretty obvious what you're doing. How do other sites deal with this?

On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.

Generally, you don't want a completely random setup, though giving yourself a randomly generated framework and then tweaking it can be quite useful. I'll be happy to help if I have time, but expect me to be around pretty rarely for the next 3 weeks until my exams are over.
Uff Da
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-11 03:01:21
April 11 2010 03:00 GMT
#51
On April 11 2010 11:31 L wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 10:37 citi.zen wrote:
On April 11 2010 06:59 Ver wrote:
On April 11 2010 05:19 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 04:31 Ver wrote:
Pro gaming one sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Games like Ace's with all the mystery and intrigue can be rather interesting since there is a lot of unknown potentials with how the game will turn out and plenty of room to make interesting plays. Though games where multiple individual townies can kill people without consent generally makes for a mafia favored game, so any future attempts of that style should tweak mafia counts and powers appropriately.

My issue with the bot games isn't the bot itself but more of the format. The low numbers require a very tight setup without much variation and the no pm'ing rule further restricts possibilities. What you end up with is a system with limited possibilities: there are only so many ideas (very few) that you can really pull off in such 9 person formats, even if you lift the pm'ing restriction. If it were possible to vary up the number of people (more people=exponentially more possibilities both in play and roles) who can play each time then yes it could become a consistent feature.

It's still a good idea to have the minigames going on sometimes for change of pace and such but I think that if the games are too frequent it will get stale very fast.

Also if anyone wants to double-check that their game is balanced properly and has no major loophole/gameplay issues just pm me.

They aren't mafia favored. Town just retards the fuck up intensely every game. If they're going to do that, they deserve to lose.


Normally all the retards don't have the power to alter the game as they see fit, especially on days 1/2. So there is more room for better players to take the lead since each individual player only has so much power. It's not like a one time thing either i,e caller going "i got half drunk and vigied ace lolol." All it takes is one person and not only does the town have to deal with that person but they also have to deal with the expanded chaos which is for the most part going to be very bad for the town as now everyone else can and will start doing it too. The amount of influence one bad player has over the game is gigantic in the 'everyone has a day kill power' format. Not nearly as much in normal games no matter what their role.

Even in a much higher skill level game I could see things going awry simply because one person isn't playing that well or they get duped or something and take matters into their own hands and set off a massive chain reaction.

Another way to look at it though is that we need to improve people at playing (town usually) but honestly I have no idea how at this point. The stickied thread has enough good advice to get people to quite a solid playing level but it seems nobody really follows it that well. Anyone have ideas?

Agreed. Someone will always propose a "no snapping policy" yet you damn well know someone will be thrown off tilt / manipulated / want to be a hero / get bored, etc. will pretty much set off a chain reaction and distract the town with useless "policy lynches" for a long time.

As far as improving people... honestly there are very very few players I can say have actually improved since I started playing here. Most start with a certain skill-set and come constraints that never change: attention span; time commitment; critical thinking ability; etc. Experience in and of itself is overrated and can sometimes even be detrimental. So I am not very optimistic on this front.

It isn't the format that's the problem, its the players.

Period.

Some of the players that we have playing with us in our games are very bad and go beyond refusing to improve; they actively try to fuck their team over if they're vanilla townies. If that's the case, town will and should lose barring a herculean effort from other parties.

These players will be day 1 lynch targets in every game they join, as they should be. If they decide to learn, maybe they can move past that stage.

Edit: you can claim this is about our methods of teaching new players, but the majority of large issues are with older players who have been here for months and refuse to step it up. Some of our newer players and mods are absolutely fantastic. Flamewheel's awesome. Haster plays very well, etc. Some people, by contrast, have been dog-shit terrible since mafia 1.

I love you L. Indian food sometime?
Also yeah... I don't want to name names, but for some games, when I read the role list, I can pretty much tell how the game will go just from where the good players, lurkers, spammers, and fail are. I really should have re-rolled for XX, though I didn't think the mafia did a bad job.

On April 11 2010 11:48 Qatol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.

Generally, you don't want a completely random setup, though giving yourself a randomly generated framework and then tweaking it can be quite useful. I'll be happy to help if I have time, but expect me to be around pretty rarely for the next 3 weeks until my exams are over.

Yeah, I'll be looking at that once the signups are done. I won't need much help, I feel, beyond the original balancing of the game, and maybe if I find a 'tweak' in there. Browsing through MS, I found the Notfia game... damn, that would be a bitch.

Also wait what? Who was the smurf...
I'm too lazy to go back and read >.>
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
April 11 2010 03:18 GMT
#52
On April 11 2010 12:00 flamewheel91 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 11:31 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:37 citi.zen wrote:
On April 11 2010 06:59 Ver wrote:
On April 11 2010 05:19 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 04:31 Ver wrote:
Pro gaming one sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Games like Ace's with all the mystery and intrigue can be rather interesting since there is a lot of unknown potentials with how the game will turn out and plenty of room to make interesting plays. Though games where multiple individual townies can kill people without consent generally makes for a mafia favored game, so any future attempts of that style should tweak mafia counts and powers appropriately.

My issue with the bot games isn't the bot itself but more of the format. The low numbers require a very tight setup without much variation and the no pm'ing rule further restricts possibilities. What you end up with is a system with limited possibilities: there are only so many ideas (very few) that you can really pull off in such 9 person formats, even if you lift the pm'ing restriction. If it were possible to vary up the number of people (more people=exponentially more possibilities both in play and roles) who can play each time then yes it could become a consistent feature.

It's still a good idea to have the minigames going on sometimes for change of pace and such but I think that if the games are too frequent it will get stale very fast.

Also if anyone wants to double-check that their game is balanced properly and has no major loophole/gameplay issues just pm me.

They aren't mafia favored. Town just retards the fuck up intensely every game. If they're going to do that, they deserve to lose.


Normally all the retards don't have the power to alter the game as they see fit, especially on days 1/2. So there is more room for better players to take the lead since each individual player only has so much power. It's not like a one time thing either i,e caller going "i got half drunk and vigied ace lolol." All it takes is one person and not only does the town have to deal with that person but they also have to deal with the expanded chaos which is for the most part going to be very bad for the town as now everyone else can and will start doing it too. The amount of influence one bad player has over the game is gigantic in the 'everyone has a day kill power' format. Not nearly as much in normal games no matter what their role.

Even in a much higher skill level game I could see things going awry simply because one person isn't playing that well or they get duped or something and take matters into their own hands and set off a massive chain reaction.

Another way to look at it though is that we need to improve people at playing (town usually) but honestly I have no idea how at this point. The stickied thread has enough good advice to get people to quite a solid playing level but it seems nobody really follows it that well. Anyone have ideas?

Agreed. Someone will always propose a "no snapping policy" yet you damn well know someone will be thrown off tilt / manipulated / want to be a hero / get bored, etc. will pretty much set off a chain reaction and distract the town with useless "policy lynches" for a long time.

As far as improving people... honestly there are very very few players I can say have actually improved since I started playing here. Most start with a certain skill-set and come constraints that never change: attention span; time commitment; critical thinking ability; etc. Experience in and of itself is overrated and can sometimes even be detrimental. So I am not very optimistic on this front.

It isn't the format that's the problem, its the players.

Period.

Some of the players that we have playing with us in our games are very bad and go beyond refusing to improve; they actively try to fuck their team over if they're vanilla townies. If that's the case, town will and should lose barring a herculean effort from other parties.

These players will be day 1 lynch targets in every game they join, as they should be. If they decide to learn, maybe they can move past that stage.

Edit: you can claim this is about our methods of teaching new players, but the majority of large issues are with older players who have been here for months and refuse to step it up. Some of our newer players and mods are absolutely fantastic. Flamewheel's awesome. Haster plays very well, etc. Some people, by contrast, have been dog-shit terrible since mafia 1.

I love you L. Indian food sometime?
Also yeah... I don't want to name names, but for some games, when I read the role list, I can pretty much tell how the game will go just from where the good players, lurkers, spammers, and fail are. I really should have re-rolled for XX, though I didn't think the mafia did a bad job.

I'd advise against getting too far into this mindset. You have to remember that sometimes players will improve even though nobody really talks about it. For example, Malongo's skill level improved pretty dramatically between Mafia VII and now. RoL is another example. The tweaking really should just be so you don't wind up with a mafia like mafia 4-5 where none of them have any experience at all so they are totally disorganized because they don't know what they're doing. Also avoiding giving really important blue roles to inactives is probably a good idea (though those have mostly disappeared in recent games).


Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 11:48 Qatol wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.

Generally, you don't want a completely random setup, though giving yourself a randomly generated framework and then tweaking it can be quite useful. I'll be happy to help if I have time, but expect me to be around pretty rarely for the next 3 weeks until my exams are over.

Yeah, I'll be looking at that once the signups are done. I won't need much help, I feel, beyond the original balancing of the game, and maybe if I find a 'tweak' in there. Browsing through MS, I found the Notfia game... damn, that would be a bitch.

Also wait what? Who was the smurf...
I'm too lazy to go back and read >.>

Big secret! (I promised not to tell. Go bug Incog or df if you really want to know.)
Uff Da
BloodyC0bbler
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Canada7876 Posts
April 11 2010 03:58 GMT
#53
On April 11 2010 12:18 Qatol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 12:00 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:31 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:37 citi.zen wrote:
On April 11 2010 06:59 Ver wrote:
On April 11 2010 05:19 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 04:31 Ver wrote:
Pro gaming one sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Games like Ace's with all the mystery and intrigue can be rather interesting since there is a lot of unknown potentials with how the game will turn out and plenty of room to make interesting plays. Though games where multiple individual townies can kill people without consent generally makes for a mafia favored game, so any future attempts of that style should tweak mafia counts and powers appropriately.

My issue with the bot games isn't the bot itself but more of the format. The low numbers require a very tight setup without much variation and the no pm'ing rule further restricts possibilities. What you end up with is a system with limited possibilities: there are only so many ideas (very few) that you can really pull off in such 9 person formats, even if you lift the pm'ing restriction. If it were possible to vary up the number of people (more people=exponentially more possibilities both in play and roles) who can play each time then yes it could become a consistent feature.

It's still a good idea to have the minigames going on sometimes for change of pace and such but I think that if the games are too frequent it will get stale very fast.

Also if anyone wants to double-check that their game is balanced properly and has no major loophole/gameplay issues just pm me.

They aren't mafia favored. Town just retards the fuck up intensely every game. If they're going to do that, they deserve to lose.


Normally all the retards don't have the power to alter the game as they see fit, especially on days 1/2. So there is more room for better players to take the lead since each individual player only has so much power. It's not like a one time thing either i,e caller going "i got half drunk and vigied ace lolol." All it takes is one person and not only does the town have to deal with that person but they also have to deal with the expanded chaos which is for the most part going to be very bad for the town as now everyone else can and will start doing it too. The amount of influence one bad player has over the game is gigantic in the 'everyone has a day kill power' format. Not nearly as much in normal games no matter what their role.

Even in a much higher skill level game I could see things going awry simply because one person isn't playing that well or they get duped or something and take matters into their own hands and set off a massive chain reaction.

Another way to look at it though is that we need to improve people at playing (town usually) but honestly I have no idea how at this point. The stickied thread has enough good advice to get people to quite a solid playing level but it seems nobody really follows it that well. Anyone have ideas?

Agreed. Someone will always propose a "no snapping policy" yet you damn well know someone will be thrown off tilt / manipulated / want to be a hero / get bored, etc. will pretty much set off a chain reaction and distract the town with useless "policy lynches" for a long time.

As far as improving people... honestly there are very very few players I can say have actually improved since I started playing here. Most start with a certain skill-set and come constraints that never change: attention span; time commitment; critical thinking ability; etc. Experience in and of itself is overrated and can sometimes even be detrimental. So I am not very optimistic on this front.

It isn't the format that's the problem, its the players.

Period.

Some of the players that we have playing with us in our games are very bad and go beyond refusing to improve; they actively try to fuck their team over if they're vanilla townies. If that's the case, town will and should lose barring a herculean effort from other parties.

These players will be day 1 lynch targets in every game they join, as they should be. If they decide to learn, maybe they can move past that stage.

Edit: you can claim this is about our methods of teaching new players, but the majority of large issues are with older players who have been here for months and refuse to step it up. Some of our newer players and mods are absolutely fantastic. Flamewheel's awesome. Haster plays very well, etc. Some people, by contrast, have been dog-shit terrible since mafia 1.

I love you L. Indian food sometime?
Also yeah... I don't want to name names, but for some games, when I read the role list, I can pretty much tell how the game will go just from where the good players, lurkers, spammers, and fail are. I really should have re-rolled for XX, though I didn't think the mafia did a bad job.

I'd advise against getting too far into this mindset. You have to remember that sometimes players will improve even though nobody really talks about it. For example, Malongo's skill level improved pretty dramatically between Mafia VII and now. RoL is another example. The tweaking really should just be so you don't wind up with a mafia like mafia 4-5 where none of them have any experience at all so they are totally disorganized because they don't know what they're doing. Also avoiding giving really important blue roles to inactives is probably a good idea (though those have mostly disappeared in recent games).

Show nested quote +

On April 11 2010 11:48 Qatol wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.

Generally, you don't want a completely random setup, though giving yourself a randomly generated framework and then tweaking it can be quite useful. I'll be happy to help if I have time, but expect me to be around pretty rarely for the next 3 weeks until my exams are over.

Yeah, I'll be looking at that once the signups are done. I won't need much help, I feel, beyond the original balancing of the game, and maybe if I find a 'tweak' in there. Browsing through MS, I found the Notfia game... damn, that would be a bitch.

Also wait what? Who was the smurf...
I'm too lazy to go back and read >.>

Big secret! (I promised not to tell. Go bug Incog or df if you really want to know.)



There were two smurfs actually
#3 Member of the Chill Fanclub / Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaeger died. --Ser Jorah Mormont TL MAFIA FORUM http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 go go !
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 11 2010 04:26 GMT
#54
On April 11 2010 12:58 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 12:18 Qatol wrote:
On April 11 2010 12:00 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:31 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:37 citi.zen wrote:
On April 11 2010 06:59 Ver wrote:
On April 11 2010 05:19 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 04:31 Ver wrote:
Pro gaming one sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Games like Ace's with all the mystery and intrigue can be rather interesting since there is a lot of unknown potentials with how the game will turn out and plenty of room to make interesting plays. Though games where multiple individual townies can kill people without consent generally makes for a mafia favored game, so any future attempts of that style should tweak mafia counts and powers appropriately.

My issue with the bot games isn't the bot itself but more of the format. The low numbers require a very tight setup without much variation and the no pm'ing rule further restricts possibilities. What you end up with is a system with limited possibilities: there are only so many ideas (very few) that you can really pull off in such 9 person formats, even if you lift the pm'ing restriction. If it were possible to vary up the number of people (more people=exponentially more possibilities both in play and roles) who can play each time then yes it could become a consistent feature.

It's still a good idea to have the minigames going on sometimes for change of pace and such but I think that if the games are too frequent it will get stale very fast.

Also if anyone wants to double-check that their game is balanced properly and has no major loophole/gameplay issues just pm me.

They aren't mafia favored. Town just retards the fuck up intensely every game. If they're going to do that, they deserve to lose.


Normally all the retards don't have the power to alter the game as they see fit, especially on days 1/2. So there is more room for better players to take the lead since each individual player only has so much power. It's not like a one time thing either i,e caller going "i got half drunk and vigied ace lolol." All it takes is one person and not only does the town have to deal with that person but they also have to deal with the expanded chaos which is for the most part going to be very bad for the town as now everyone else can and will start doing it too. The amount of influence one bad player has over the game is gigantic in the 'everyone has a day kill power' format. Not nearly as much in normal games no matter what their role.

Even in a much higher skill level game I could see things going awry simply because one person isn't playing that well or they get duped or something and take matters into their own hands and set off a massive chain reaction.

Another way to look at it though is that we need to improve people at playing (town usually) but honestly I have no idea how at this point. The stickied thread has enough good advice to get people to quite a solid playing level but it seems nobody really follows it that well. Anyone have ideas?

Agreed. Someone will always propose a "no snapping policy" yet you damn well know someone will be thrown off tilt / manipulated / want to be a hero / get bored, etc. will pretty much set off a chain reaction and distract the town with useless "policy lynches" for a long time.

As far as improving people... honestly there are very very few players I can say have actually improved since I started playing here. Most start with a certain skill-set and come constraints that never change: attention span; time commitment; critical thinking ability; etc. Experience in and of itself is overrated and can sometimes even be detrimental. So I am not very optimistic on this front.

It isn't the format that's the problem, its the players.

Period.

Some of the players that we have playing with us in our games are very bad and go beyond refusing to improve; they actively try to fuck their team over if they're vanilla townies. If that's the case, town will and should lose barring a herculean effort from other parties.

These players will be day 1 lynch targets in every game they join, as they should be. If they decide to learn, maybe they can move past that stage.

Edit: you can claim this is about our methods of teaching new players, but the majority of large issues are with older players who have been here for months and refuse to step it up. Some of our newer players and mods are absolutely fantastic. Flamewheel's awesome. Haster plays very well, etc. Some people, by contrast, have been dog-shit terrible since mafia 1.

I love you L. Indian food sometime?
Also yeah... I don't want to name names, but for some games, when I read the role list, I can pretty much tell how the game will go just from where the good players, lurkers, spammers, and fail are. I really should have re-rolled for XX, though I didn't think the mafia did a bad job.

I'd advise against getting too far into this mindset. You have to remember that sometimes players will improve even though nobody really talks about it. For example, Malongo's skill level improved pretty dramatically between Mafia VII and now. RoL is another example. The tweaking really should just be so you don't wind up with a mafia like mafia 4-5 where none of them have any experience at all so they are totally disorganized because they don't know what they're doing. Also avoiding giving really important blue roles to inactives is probably a good idea (though those have mostly disappeared in recent games).


On April 11 2010 11:48 Qatol wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.

Generally, you don't want a completely random setup, though giving yourself a randomly generated framework and then tweaking it can be quite useful. I'll be happy to help if I have time, but expect me to be around pretty rarely for the next 3 weeks until my exams are over.

Yeah, I'll be looking at that once the signups are done. I won't need much help, I feel, beyond the original balancing of the game, and maybe if I find a 'tweak' in there. Browsing through MS, I found the Notfia game... damn, that would be a bitch.

Also wait what? Who was the smurf...
I'm too lazy to go back and read >.>

Big secret! (I promised not to tell. Go bug Incog or df if you really want to know.)



There were two smurfs actually

T_T
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Zona
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
40426 Posts
April 11 2010 04:26 GMT
#55
Some things to consider in addition to whatever black magic you guys currently are using to balance games:

1) When considering game balance in a game where the lynch is a central tool for the town, one key factor to pay attention to is how many successful lynches the town needs to win, and how many mislynches they can afford, taking into account possible powers that can skew these numbers by considering the minimum and maximum effect they could have, and the likelihood.

2) As well, consider how the game would proceed if somehow one side figured out all the information of the game and acted optimally: How quickly would the other side fall, i.e. how much time would the other side have to figure things out as well to counteract things. As well, the chance of every action falling into place for either side to ensure the quickest victory.

+ Show Spoiler +
An extreme example of where this kind of viewpoint would have helped, in my view, is the two mafia team game here. If the town collectively figured out who the mafia were, and lynched a mafia every day, and the mafia were completely inept with their kills and killed town each day (rather than the other mafia team)...the end result is that one of the MAFIA teams win. Sure the idea was for the town to help/convince each mafia team kill the other side, but if you consider that perfect lynching combined with perfectly inept mafia nightkills would lead to a mafia victory, that shows you how skewed the game was against what is normally the town's central tool.


3) Finally, consider the probabilities of victory if players acted randomly. This part probably is the most complicated, but I do think it has its uses. It should favor the mafia, perhaps by a 2-1 ratio (i.e. ~33% chance of town victory) as when the town gains information, the choice of lynch should be better than random, and the lynch is the tool that benefits the most from information. Of course, the more volatile and influential powers the town has, the more a randomly played out game should favor the mafia.

"If you try responding to those absurd posts every day, you become more damaged. So I pay no attention to them at all." Jung Myung Hoon (aka Fantasy), as translated by Kimoleon
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
April 11 2010 04:34 GMT
#56
We definitely consider 1 and 2. I don't know how much emphasis we put on #3 though.
Uff Da
citi.zen
Profile Joined April 2009
2509 Posts
April 11 2010 04:36 GMT
#57
On April 11 2010 13:26 flamewheel91 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 12:58 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 12:18 Qatol wrote:
On April 11 2010 12:00 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:31 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:37 citi.zen wrote:
On April 11 2010 06:59 Ver wrote:
On April 11 2010 05:19 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 04:31 Ver wrote:
Pro gaming one sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Games like Ace's with all the mystery and intrigue can be rather interesting since there is a lot of unknown potentials with how the game will turn out and plenty of room to make interesting plays. Though games where multiple individual townies can kill people without consent generally makes for a mafia favored game, so any future attempts of that style should tweak mafia counts and powers appropriately.

My issue with the bot games isn't the bot itself but more of the format. The low numbers require a very tight setup without much variation and the no pm'ing rule further restricts possibilities. What you end up with is a system with limited possibilities: there are only so many ideas (very few) that you can really pull off in such 9 person formats, even if you lift the pm'ing restriction. If it were possible to vary up the number of people (more people=exponentially more possibilities both in play and roles) who can play each time then yes it could become a consistent feature.

It's still a good idea to have the minigames going on sometimes for change of pace and such but I think that if the games are too frequent it will get stale very fast.

Also if anyone wants to double-check that their game is balanced properly and has no major loophole/gameplay issues just pm me.

They aren't mafia favored. Town just retards the fuck up intensely every game. If they're going to do that, they deserve to lose.


Normally all the retards don't have the power to alter the game as they see fit, especially on days 1/2. So there is more room for better players to take the lead since each individual player only has so much power. It's not like a one time thing either i,e caller going "i got half drunk and vigied ace lolol." All it takes is one person and not only does the town have to deal with that person but they also have to deal with the expanded chaos which is for the most part going to be very bad for the town as now everyone else can and will start doing it too. The amount of influence one bad player has over the game is gigantic in the 'everyone has a day kill power' format. Not nearly as much in normal games no matter what their role.

Even in a much higher skill level game I could see things going awry simply because one person isn't playing that well or they get duped or something and take matters into their own hands and set off a massive chain reaction.

Another way to look at it though is that we need to improve people at playing (town usually) but honestly I have no idea how at this point. The stickied thread has enough good advice to get people to quite a solid playing level but it seems nobody really follows it that well. Anyone have ideas?

Agreed. Someone will always propose a "no snapping policy" yet you damn well know someone will be thrown off tilt / manipulated / want to be a hero / get bored, etc. will pretty much set off a chain reaction and distract the town with useless "policy lynches" for a long time.

As far as improving people... honestly there are very very few players I can say have actually improved since I started playing here. Most start with a certain skill-set and come constraints that never change: attention span; time commitment; critical thinking ability; etc. Experience in and of itself is overrated and can sometimes even be detrimental. So I am not very optimistic on this front.

It isn't the format that's the problem, its the players.

Period.

Some of the players that we have playing with us in our games are very bad and go beyond refusing to improve; they actively try to fuck their team over if they're vanilla townies. If that's the case, town will and should lose barring a herculean effort from other parties.

These players will be day 1 lynch targets in every game they join, as they should be. If they decide to learn, maybe they can move past that stage.

Edit: you can claim this is about our methods of teaching new players, but the majority of large issues are with older players who have been here for months and refuse to step it up. Some of our newer players and mods are absolutely fantastic. Flamewheel's awesome. Haster plays very well, etc. Some people, by contrast, have been dog-shit terrible since mafia 1.

I love you L. Indian food sometime?
Also yeah... I don't want to name names, but for some games, when I read the role list, I can pretty much tell how the game will go just from where the good players, lurkers, spammers, and fail are. I really should have re-rolled for XX, though I didn't think the mafia did a bad job.

I'd advise against getting too far into this mindset. You have to remember that sometimes players will improve even though nobody really talks about it. For example, Malongo's skill level improved pretty dramatically between Mafia VII and now. RoL is another example. The tweaking really should just be so you don't wind up with a mafia like mafia 4-5 where none of them have any experience at all so they are totally disorganized because they don't know what they're doing. Also avoiding giving really important blue roles to inactives is probably a good idea (though those have mostly disappeared in recent games).


On April 11 2010 11:48 Qatol wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
[quote]
I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.

Generally, you don't want a completely random setup, though giving yourself a randomly generated framework and then tweaking it can be quite useful. I'll be happy to help if I have time, but expect me to be around pretty rarely for the next 3 weeks until my exams are over.

Yeah, I'll be looking at that once the signups are done. I won't need much help, I feel, beyond the original balancing of the game, and maybe if I find a 'tweak' in there. Browsing through MS, I found the Notfia game... damn, that would be a bitch.

Also wait what? Who was the smurf...
I'm too lazy to go back and read >.>

Big secret! (I promised not to tell. Go bug Incog or df if you really want to know.)



There were two smurfs actually

T_T

+ Show Spoiler +
Ser Aspi and ...? Hmmm... must guess - much funner than asking!
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 11 2010 05:44 GMT
#58
On April 11 2010 13:36 citi.zen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 13:26 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 12:58 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 12:18 Qatol wrote:
On April 11 2010 12:00 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:31 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:37 citi.zen wrote:
On April 11 2010 06:59 Ver wrote:
On April 11 2010 05:19 L wrote:
On April 11 2010 04:31 Ver wrote:
Pro gaming one sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Games like Ace's with all the mystery and intrigue can be rather interesting since there is a lot of unknown potentials with how the game will turn out and plenty of room to make interesting plays. Though games where multiple individual townies can kill people without consent generally makes for a mafia favored game, so any future attempts of that style should tweak mafia counts and powers appropriately.

My issue with the bot games isn't the bot itself but more of the format. The low numbers require a very tight setup without much variation and the no pm'ing rule further restricts possibilities. What you end up with is a system with limited possibilities: there are only so many ideas (very few) that you can really pull off in such 9 person formats, even if you lift the pm'ing restriction. If it were possible to vary up the number of people (more people=exponentially more possibilities both in play and roles) who can play each time then yes it could become a consistent feature.

It's still a good idea to have the minigames going on sometimes for change of pace and such but I think that if the games are too frequent it will get stale very fast.

Also if anyone wants to double-check that their game is balanced properly and has no major loophole/gameplay issues just pm me.

They aren't mafia favored. Town just retards the fuck up intensely every game. If they're going to do that, they deserve to lose.


Normally all the retards don't have the power to alter the game as they see fit, especially on days 1/2. So there is more room for better players to take the lead since each individual player only has so much power. It's not like a one time thing either i,e caller going "i got half drunk and vigied ace lolol." All it takes is one person and not only does the town have to deal with that person but they also have to deal with the expanded chaos which is for the most part going to be very bad for the town as now everyone else can and will start doing it too. The amount of influence one bad player has over the game is gigantic in the 'everyone has a day kill power' format. Not nearly as much in normal games no matter what their role.

Even in a much higher skill level game I could see things going awry simply because one person isn't playing that well or they get duped or something and take matters into their own hands and set off a massive chain reaction.

Another way to look at it though is that we need to improve people at playing (town usually) but honestly I have no idea how at this point. The stickied thread has enough good advice to get people to quite a solid playing level but it seems nobody really follows it that well. Anyone have ideas?

Agreed. Someone will always propose a "no snapping policy" yet you damn well know someone will be thrown off tilt / manipulated / want to be a hero / get bored, etc. will pretty much set off a chain reaction and distract the town with useless "policy lynches" for a long time.

As far as improving people... honestly there are very very few players I can say have actually improved since I started playing here. Most start with a certain skill-set and come constraints that never change: attention span; time commitment; critical thinking ability; etc. Experience in and of itself is overrated and can sometimes even be detrimental. So I am not very optimistic on this front.

It isn't the format that's the problem, its the players.

Period.

Some of the players that we have playing with us in our games are very bad and go beyond refusing to improve; they actively try to fuck their team over if they're vanilla townies. If that's the case, town will and should lose barring a herculean effort from other parties.

These players will be day 1 lynch targets in every game they join, as they should be. If they decide to learn, maybe they can move past that stage.

Edit: you can claim this is about our methods of teaching new players, but the majority of large issues are with older players who have been here for months and refuse to step it up. Some of our newer players and mods are absolutely fantastic. Flamewheel's awesome. Haster plays very well, etc. Some people, by contrast, have been dog-shit terrible since mafia 1.

I love you L. Indian food sometime?
Also yeah... I don't want to name names, but for some games, when I read the role list, I can pretty much tell how the game will go just from where the good players, lurkers, spammers, and fail are. I really should have re-rolled for XX, though I didn't think the mafia did a bad job.

I'd advise against getting too far into this mindset. You have to remember that sometimes players will improve even though nobody really talks about it. For example, Malongo's skill level improved pretty dramatically between Mafia VII and now. RoL is another example. The tweaking really should just be so you don't wind up with a mafia like mafia 4-5 where none of them have any experience at all so they are totally disorganized because they don't know what they're doing. Also avoiding giving really important blue roles to inactives is probably a good idea (though those have mostly disappeared in recent games).


On April 11 2010 11:48 Qatol wrote:
On April 11 2010 11:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:47 flamewheel91 wrote:
On April 11 2010 10:33 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
[quote]

Just make sure to talk to more than one person about balance, or at least one person who is more available to help. I think a bonus for one of the newer hosts would be to get an old one to co host just to help with the balancing of the game if nothing else. As for newer games with Vet players taking a back seat. It is honestly reallly hard to do sometimes. However, I can say easily, had I not been dt last game you hosted, I would not have been nearly as active in any sense. The role was just one that had to be used.

I'll be asking quite a few of you guys, unless you dawgs want to play.


Usually most people who help balance actually play as well. Which can kinda be bad since it gives us (imo) an unfair advantage. Id stick to snagging 1 co host then like 1 other who won't play and will help. Unless you stick by the purely randomized method and let roles stay where they drop.

I tried the entirely random thing. Made it a bit too imbalanced, so there miiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggght be some selectivity. Of course, you never know. I could let my cat roll the die.
I'll definitely be bothering Qatol and Ver about this. I'm still looking to get two games down to get two co-hosts.

Generally, you don't want a completely random setup, though giving yourself a randomly generated framework and then tweaking it can be quite useful. I'll be happy to help if I have time, but expect me to be around pretty rarely for the next 3 weeks until my exams are over.

Yeah, I'll be looking at that once the signups are done. I won't need much help, I feel, beyond the original balancing of the game, and maybe if I find a 'tweak' in there. Browsing through MS, I found the Notfia game... damn, that would be a bitch.

Also wait what? Who was the smurf...
I'm too lazy to go back and read >.>

Big secret! (I promised not to tell. Go bug Incog or df if you really want to know.)



There were two smurfs actually

T_T

+ Show Spoiler +
Ser Aspi and ...? Hmmm... must guess - much funner than asking!

Looking at those posts, I would say that your first guess is one. Haven't found the second one yet. Though I just reread the majority of XVI.

Interesting shit back then.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
~OpZ~
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
United States3652 Posts
April 11 2010 11:42 GMT
#59
On April 09 2010 16:14 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
I am with fishball on this matter. As such I endorse everything he said.

MAFIA!!!
Maybe I could teach Osama that using a plane as a wraith or dropship would be 10x better than using it as a scourge..... ^^; -Flex
[NyC]HoBbes
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States803 Posts
April 11 2010 17:46 GMT
#60
On April 11 2010 09:15 flamewheel91 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2010 08:50 BloodyC0bbler wrote:
Trying to improve on your own can be insanely daunting as well, TL vet players can be total d bags to newbie players.

I think a good example would be take RoL. Given his general read on players the last few games, he has picked out reds fairly quickly, yet is still considered shit generally(at least based off one of the game endings i read).

People just need to find a small group core and just stick to learning with them. Also, learning to decieve the people your learning with is a key skill at decieving the town

I agree with this statement, especially after watching XVIII. With the new influx of people playing in XVI (BC's and Incog's, of which I was one) the veterans that came back for XVIII were... well, not the most accommodating

Same thing with XX, vet players just owned the town. Granted, power roles are compelling, but from watching it through the mod's eyes, you could just see it was the same people taking control.

If I were to make a game now that was open to the TL public (i.e. newcomers, of which I'm sure there would be enough that would be willing to try this out/play), it'd be nice to have a game composed of new or semi-new people and some vet players that would be more willing to help them learn and play.

Also at this point tonight I'm going to start writing up probably a 25 person game, limited power roles but more diverse than just cop/medic/mafia, no elected roles, and will include clue sets. How does this sound?


Sounds good to me, looking forward to it
Where'er you walk cool gales shall fan the glade
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 161
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 459
Bale 45
League of Legends
Doublelift4514
Other Games
summit1g9275
JimRising 562
ViBE228
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick676
BasetradeTV188
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 109
• Light_VIP 9
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1136
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 44m
Patches Events
13h 44m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 44m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 44m
OSC
21h 44m
OSC
1d 10h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.