• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:23
CEST 19:23
KST 02:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)58Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8574 users

[Champion] Master Yi - Page 3

Forum Index > LoL Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 18 19 20 Next All
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
February 14 2011 03:15 GMT
#41
@ neo- Your jungle path can be improved a little bit. I've actually found that going 20-0-10 cloth+5, then going golems, wraiths, wolves, blue then pilling is possible. The key is that you only alpha strike to conserve mana. Even getting unlucky with procs the 5 hp pots let you live with enough health to get blue and cut one of the backs out of your route.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
Wala.Revolution
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
7584 Posts
February 14 2011 04:07 GMT
#42
On February 14 2011 11:02 ZERG_RUSSIAN wrote:
I do something similar but completely different:

1/8/21
Full Aspd runes
smite/ghost
Cloth Armor + 3 potions
Start Wraiths or wraith jack, either way go wraiths -> wolves -> wraiths -> small golems -> bluepill -> blue buff -> wolves -> wraiths -> small golems -> bluepill -> red buff

Obviously change route to match procs and game flow

Wriggles -> zerks/merc -> situational damage items--sometimes I rush IE, sometimes I go bloodthirster, sometimes I go Ghostblade or BC or LW -> after you got enough offensive items GA/Banshees.

I play a heavy counterjungle style on (all my junglers but especially) Yi, I feel like he brings a lot to the counterjungling game. Your main strat is to hit a gank, clear the lane, take a tower and gtfo.

rock that shit


Woo, same. However, would it significantly matter vs 1/14/15? I often try to second wraith jack because sometimes enemy junglers (usually Amumu/Olaf) will be doing wraiths and I will alpha strike, perhaps getting FB, and stealing wraiths again. After blue usually.
Stuck.
Dgiese
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2687 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-15 04:13:26
February 15 2011 03:59 GMT
#43
So I've started playing jungle Yi after being forced into picking him when the other team took both my usual junglers (WW and nunu), and I'm really enjoying his clear speed so far.

This is a pic of a recent game I carried, but I'm not posting it to gloat, I wanna know where I could make improvements to my build. I built a starks because I felt like it helped the team out a bit, and gave me some lifesteal that I felt I was lacking. Ideally I would've had mundo build it, but whatever. Should I have built a BT instead or what?

[image loading]

I had enough money to add a new item if I needed to, I just wasn't sure what I should be getting, so your thoughts would be appreciated. So yeah, basically what should a 'infinite money' build for this game have looked like?

Furthermore, in the game my strategy was to pretty much solo push so they were forced to send 2 people to stop me (I could 1v1 anyone on their team), and when for some reason a teamfight broke out when i was around (I have no idea what the teams were fighting over... but that's low elo for ya) I would try and wait for sion stun and blitz silence before dashing in. So how can I improve on that as a strategy?

Also, things like baron and dragon - when (lvl / items) can a Yi reasonably expect to solo dragon quickly?

Thanks for any feedback.

Oh just to further reinforce that I'm not posting to gloat (cause there is nothing to gloat about), they didn't have a jungler, even tho this is a pretty rare occurence. I had a hard time juggling farming both jungles and ganking so that my lanes didn't feed - anyone got any advice in this area? (I don't suppose it's a common problem though).
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
February 19 2011 11:33 GMT
#44
could someone on US tell me what runes Strelo uses on his master yi? thx
And all is illuminated.
HeavOnEarth
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States7087 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-19 13:08:11
February 19 2011 13:02 GMT
#45
On February 14 2011 13:07 Wala.Revolution wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2011 11:02 ZERG_RUSSIAN wrote:
I do something similar but completely different:

1/8/21
Full Aspd runes
smite/ghost
Cloth Armor + 3 potions
Start Wraiths or wraith jack, either way go wraiths -> wolves -> wraiths -> small golems -> bluepill -> blue buff -> wolves -> wraiths -> small golems -> bluepill -> red buff

Obviously change route to match procs and game flow

Wriggles -> zerks/merc -> situational damage items--sometimes I rush IE, sometimes I go bloodthirster, sometimes I go Ghostblade or BC or LW -> after you got enough offensive items GA/Banshees.

I play a heavy counterjungle style on (all my junglers but especially) Yi, I feel like he brings a lot to the counterjungling game. Your main strat is to hit a gank, clear the lane, take a tower and gtfo.

rock that shit


Woo, same. However, would it significantly matter vs 1/14/15? I often try to second wraith jack because sometimes enemy junglers (usually Amumu/Olaf) will be doing wraiths and I will alpha strike, perhaps getting FB, and stealing wraiths again. After blue usually.

flipping on ghost+ lizard-> alpha strike when they flash or use an escape ability
21 in utility = more deadly ganks, and faster smite cd-> more counterjungling. b/c you dont want to be in enemy jungle for very long.
i use 21 in utility when i rammus, but on a champ like yi i play like my ww, very farm oriented so i go 15/0/15 (ww) 21/0/9(yi)
"come korea next time... FXO house... 10 korean, 10 korean"
HeavOnEarth
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States7087 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-19 13:06:01
February 19 2011 13:03 GMT
#46
On February 19 2011 20:33 freelander wrote:
could someone on US tell me what runes Strelo uses on his master yi? thx

as ylw/quint
armor pen red
mres//lvl blue
21/0/9 and cloth+5 pots i assume
he likes wriggles mercs into a fast zeal or sheen(dunno his reasoning for prefernce)-> trinity
then cleaver or negatron
assuming negatron-> banshees later on but haven't seen anything on match list past that
Strelo -US
"come korea next time... FXO house... 10 korean, 10 korean"
Tadzio
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
3340 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 05:20:25
February 24 2011 05:15 GMT
#47
So I bought Yi the other day cuz he's cheap, but I feed massively with DPS Yi. Any tips?

To compensate for my suck I've been going AP Yi and if my teammates notice, they scapegoat me hardcore. As AP Yi, I get the same skill build/masteries [1-8-21] as DPS Yi, except my runes are different and after I get wiggle's I get ionian boots, Deathcap, lichbane, brilliance elixers and then watever. It doesn't seem to slow down my neutralling at all, and in teamfights I survive better. The only real complaint I have with the build is that if I don't get bluebuff (i.e. I let a teammate get it), I feel kinda naked. How is DPS Yi better? Or what should I be doing to play DPS yi better?
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 05:30:00
February 24 2011 05:29 GMT
#48
AP Yi should be 9/0/21 for the CDR and mpen. You don't need strength of spirit because one or two points in meditate will keep you in lane forever. Do not get wriggles (no jungle ap yi), and get sorc boots or merc treads.

That said, AP is more of a troll build. Awesome for laning, and if you get an ult/alpha combo you'll wipe the enemy team, but it's still dangerous.

DPS is all about knowing when to enter a teamfight, and saving alpha strike and meditate for when you get focused. Your staying power comes from cleanse and lifesteal.

(I'm bad yi btw and only ever play AP hahaha)
it's my first day
Tadzio
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
3340 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 06:33:41
February 24 2011 06:32 GMT
#49
I still jungle crazy fast, and steal their buffs and fuck their jungler over, meanwhile, I'm the same level as my teams soloers, and if I bump into someone in the jungle, my first strike does more damage and convinces them to run.... why shouldn't I jungle AP Yi?
dnastyx
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States2707 Posts
February 24 2011 07:33 GMT
#50
On February 24 2011 15:32 Tadzio wrote:
I still jungle crazy fast, and steal their buffs and fuck their jungler over, meanwhile, I'm the same level as my teams soloers, and if I bump into someone in the jungle, my first strike does more damage and convinces them to run.... why shouldn't I jungle AP Yi?


AD Yi wants to max QE (which is good for jungling)
AP Yi wants to max QW.

You can do it.
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-25 02:22:02
February 25 2011 02:21 GMT
#51
AP Yi looks like a barrel of fun, and I'd like to try....I did notice after trying it once that after your Q is down you're pretty much useless until it comes back up again (you can meditate but I tend to save it for when I need it). Chasing and DPSing someone down with highlander sucks when you do no autoattack damage....is it worth building him as a hybrid?
Something along the lines of
ring--->boots-->Deathcap/mejai's/huge AP item-->rageblade-->lichbane-->gunblade?
This way your nuke still hits for a lot but you cans till do decent damage by chasing someone down, and even survive a 1v1 with the lifesteal from gunblade.
Not sure of the build order and obviously this needs to be refined a whole bunch, but what say you TL?
Just for funzies?
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-25 03:38:29
February 25 2011 03:20 GMT
#52
AP Yi is a straight up nuker who wants to killsteal with Highlander so he can nuke again. Rageblade and Gunblade are no-no's. No Mejai's because you're going to die eventually from your melee range alpha strike. Lichbane is OK because you end up right next to your target for the proc.

Dring -> Sorc Boots -> Deathcap -> Zhonyas -> Lichbane // Void Staff.
9/0/21 mpen/mp5plvl/ap plvl/ap

if you build hybrid you end up sucking at both dps and nuking - you choose one or the other


also on that note, the biggest reason why AP Yi is a joke build is the killstealing and farming tons of cs to turn it into massive unreliable damage and zero utility. At least Annie can stun.
it's my first day
Tadzio
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
3340 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-26 09:28:50
February 26 2011 09:28 GMT
#53
so far what I've been doing is cloth armor -> first attack item -> mordreds + ionian boots -> any item that does execess damage. I do run away from pure team buids that scare me
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
February 26 2011 10:55 GMT
#54
AP yi can't really backdoor. Huge disadvantage compared to his AD counterpart
My whole ad game revolves around it.
And all is illuminated.
r33k
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Italy3402 Posts
July 10 2011 03:49 GMT
#55
I'm surprised by the builds that are considered "standard" on yi.

On my smurf I usually go wriggles triforce, getting mercs before triforce and wits end if casters are being annoying. Otherwise wriggles atmogs. Jungling with no masteries is a pain tho, I might try wriggles ghostblade sotd but I always know my team is going to get raped horribly whenever I abandom them. Probably too much smurfing.
Ryuu314
Profile Joined October 2009
United States12679 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-10 03:52:10
July 10 2011 03:51 GMT
#56
On July 10 2011 12:49 r33k wrote:
I'm surprised by the builds that are considered "standard" on yi.

On my smurf I usually go wriggles triforce, getting mercs before triforce and wits end if casters are being annoying. Otherwise wriggles atmogs. Jungling with no masteries is a pain tho, I might try wriggles ghostblade sotd but I always know my team is going to get raped horribly whenever I abandom them. Probably too much smurfing.

Why triforce? Yi doesn't really spam skills for the triforce proc does he? And the triforce proc doesn't amplify the damage from his passive right?
r33k
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Italy3402 Posts
July 10 2011 04:35 GMT
#57
On July 10 2011 12:51 Ryuu314 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2011 12:49 r33k wrote:
I'm surprised by the builds that are considered "standard" on yi.

On my smurf I usually go wriggles triforce, getting mercs before triforce and wits end if casters are being annoying. Otherwise wriggles atmogs. Jungling with no masteries is a pain tho, I might try wriggles ghostblade sotd but I always know my team is going to get raped horribly whenever I abandom them. Probably too much smurfing.

Why triforce? Yi doesn't really spam skills for the triforce proc does he? And the triforce proc doesn't amplify the damage from his passive right?

It has ms a slow some mana and some ap. All stuff that I end up needing.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-10 06:38:57
July 10 2011 06:38 GMT
#58
On July 10 2011 12:51 Ryuu314 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2011 12:49 r33k wrote:
I'm surprised by the builds that are considered "standard" on yi.

On my smurf I usually go wriggles triforce, getting mercs before triforce and wits end if casters are being annoying. Otherwise wriggles atmogs. Jungling with no masteries is a pain tho, I might try wriggles ghostblade sotd but I always know my team is going to get raped horribly whenever I abandom them. Probably too much smurfing.

Why triforce? Yi doesn't really spam skills for the triforce proc does he? And the triforce proc doesn't amplify the damage from his passive right?

Against anyone that really knows what they're doing, you pretty much have to play like an anti-carry in fights anyway (and outside of fights, Triforce's MS/proc makes it great for split-pushing), which means Triforce's front-loaded damage is what you want, and not the sustained damage from other items. If you blow up their carry in one round of QER, your CDs will reset, giving you another round of Triforce procs. And if you can't blow them up in one round QER, you're probably screwed either way and having more sustained-damage items probably wouldn't help you.
Moderator
Vei
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2845 Posts
July 20 2011 03:31 GMT
#59
Just used your jungle route + skill order + runes as best I could (aka 5 a/s marks...) and had the best Yi game of my life.. I really like the jungle route -- too bad mid stole exp from my wraiths and me being lvl2 vs blue golem led to my death >__>

but yeah. thanks for the guide. i went for a different item route (the lifesteal thing that builds into stark's, then brutalizer then ghostblade) and it worked out ok but it was just pubstompin' so yeah.
www.justin.tv/veisc2 ~ 720p + commentary
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
July 20 2011 06:37 GMT
#60
What I don't get is for Yi... Why start golems and not wolves? Wolves first allows for such a quick leveling process (second round is blue -> full clear and you almost ding 6 from it) which Yi needs pretty badly.

Even better is starting enemy wraiths -> wolves -> wraiths, however you won't have smite up for your wraiths and people actually defend wraiths nowadays. >_>
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 18 19 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1145
SteadfastSC819
ComeBackTV 784
TaKeTV 561
IndyStarCraft 236
Rex135
EnkiAlexander 79
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 819
IndyStarCraft 236
ProTech146
Rex 135
BRAT_OK 50
UpATreeSC 35
MindelVK 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 39109
Shuttle 782
Mini 384
Larva 358
Rush 333
Dewaltoss 102
Hyuk 99
firebathero 80
Mong 72
Trap 44
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 31
Sexy 27
Bale 21
Rock 18
Shine 15
Sacsri 12
Terrorterran 9
Dota 2
Gorgc9573
qojqva1727
Counter-Strike
fl0m1480
Fnx 790
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1404
Khaldor1263
Other Games
FrodaN1317
Beastyqt386
DeMusliM246
XBOCT207
Mlord166
ArmadaUGS162
KnowMe124
XaKoH 99
QueenE82
C9.Mang075
Mew2King69
CosmosSc2 13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream76
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH306
• StrangeGG 44
• poizon28 37
• Hinosc 18
• Kozan
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• Michael_bg 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3910
Other Games
• imaqtpie466
• Shiphtur324
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 37m
CranKy Ducklings
16h 37m
Online Event
17h 37m
FEL
22h 37m
AI Arena Tournament
23h 37m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.