• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:55
CEST 22:55
KST 05:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6969 users

[LiquidParty] DotA2 Learning Group ^.^ - Page 9

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 57 Next
While this thread is labeled "DotA2", this is in fact a community thread first. Many of the users in the TL LoL subforum have been playing as friends for over a year now, so it makes logical sense that they would want to play other games together.

Do not compare DotA2 to LoL, you will get banned.

TL LoL veterans know what is expected. Newcomers be warned.

gl hf
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
March 07 2012 06:52 GMT
#161
Meh, if you've played LoL to a decent level, why not try out QoP?

I really hate the "start on easier" heroes type of mentality, and this was true for me as well when I started in LoL. I was much better on ahri than I was on annie even though people will say annie is easier. Mechanically, QoP is not that difficult. More or less it takes experience in knowing when to blink in and how to play aggressively. You don't really learn that from playing another hero unless you're vsing QoP yourself.

Also, hell no I would not say puck is easier than QoP. Don't know why you think that.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-07 07:07:58
March 07 2012 06:56 GMT
#162
On March 07 2012 15:52 Itsmedudeman wrote:
Meh, if you've played LoL to a decent level, why not try out QoP?

I really hate the "start on easier" heroes type of mentality, and this was true for me as well when I started in LoL. I was much better on ahri than I was on annie even though people will say annie is easier. Mechanically, QoP is not that difficult. More or less it takes experience in knowing when to blink in and how to play aggressively. You don't really learn that from playing another hero unless you're vsing QoP yourself.

I have no qualms suggesting mechanically difficult heroes to LoL players. That's not going to be the part of the game that's hard for LoL players. The thing with QoP is that what makes her difficult is not mechanical. It's ALL game knowledge and understanding heroes/items/gameflow.

There's zero sense in suggesting a hero's whose effectiveness depends so hugely on understanding the limits of what the other 9 heroes in the game are capable of, as well as in selecting a good path of item development for someone who is just barely trying to learn what those heroes and items even do.

On March 07 2012 15:52 Itsmedudeman wrote:
Also, hell no I would not say puck is easier than QoP. Don't know why you think that.

Because Puck's difficulty is largely mechanical. You have a straightforward role, can play basically to a cookie-cutter build, and have flexible escapes that lend themselves well to good mechanical play. Like I said with Dragon Knight, this lets you focus on learning the GAME rather than get bogged down on learning the HERO.
Moderator
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-07 07:10:30
March 07 2012 07:07 GMT
#163
Gaining experience of other matchups is a lot simpler and more straightforward than you think. Just learn as you go along and you'll know how to play QoP faster than if you played 50 other different heroes. In team fights he works very similar to kassadin. Mostly play like a pussy, hit as many people as you can, blink out of trouble, blink to chase, etc, not much to work on there.

Puck can be safer, but only if you know how to play the hero. Otherwise, you sort of just end up being just as useless as a newbie QoP. Also really, when you're starting out there is really not a big downside to using blink only defensively. Hell, I don't see how a puck jumping in is much safer than a QoP blinking into something unwarranted. QoP blink is shorter cd and it's a lot easier to mess up on her skills.

I don't even get what you're saying. You just said puck was more difficult mechanically and that this allows you to somehow focus on learning the game more as opposed to the hero? Learning the different matchups on Puck is just as important. The hero itself is balanced in such a way where it is so flexible that if you don't play it right it's underpowered.
rob.au
Profile Joined May 2010
1087 Posts
March 07 2012 07:21 GMT
#164
If you want to learn mid lane then qop/puck are fine. If you want to learn the game, as in what heroes do, what to do at certain parts of the game, etc...then pick a support or tanky guy like DK.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-07 07:25:23
March 07 2012 07:24 GMT
#165
On March 07 2012 16:07 Itsmedudeman wrote:
I don't even get what you're saying. You just said puck was more difficult mechanically and that this allows you to somehow focus on learning the game more as opposed to the hero? Learning the different matchups on Puck is just as important. The hero itself is balanced in such a way where it is so flexible that if you don't play it right it's underpowered.

Yes, because for a LoL player, the mechanics aren't that much more difficult than what's in LoL.

And you're not looking at this the same way here. It's not a question of learning individual matchups. I'm saying that at the top level, a new player should be concerned with understanding the general game flow and roles of the heroes involved. Puck's role is pretty much clear every game, so it's fairly easy for a new player to do what he's supposed to be doing, and pay attention to what's happening around him. It's hard to do that with Queen of Pain because of how sensitive her own role and tempo are to everything else that's happening--even ex-pro commentators have a hard time pinning down what she should be doing in a lot of games. It's hard to observe how the game is flowing when you constantly have to worry about "what should I be doing?"
Moderator
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 07 2012 13:48 GMT
#166
On March 07 2012 16:24 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 16:07 Itsmedudeman wrote:
I don't even get what you're saying. You just said puck was more difficult mechanically and that this allows you to somehow focus on learning the game more as opposed to the hero? Learning the different matchups on Puck is just as important. The hero itself is balanced in such a way where it is so flexible that if you don't play it right it's underpowered.

Yes, because for a LoL player, the mechanics aren't that much more difficult than what's in LoL.

And you're not looking at this the same way here. It's not a question of learning individual matchups. I'm saying that at the top level, a new player should be concerned with understanding the general game flow and roles of the heroes involved. Puck's role is pretty much clear every game, so it's fairly easy for a new player to do what he's supposed to be doing, and pay attention to what's happening around him. It's hard to do that with Queen of Pain because of how sensitive her own role and tempo are to everything else that's happening--even ex-pro commentators have a hard time pinning down what she should be doing in a lot of games. It's hard to observe how the game is flowing when you constantly have to worry about "what should I be doing?"

Blink and kill the squishy obviously.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
dismiss
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom3341 Posts
March 07 2012 22:08 GMT
#167
Dota feels so weird compared to LoL, I have no idea how long which hero can disable me and so on. h4h4 Really annoying.
Failure to improve posting standards will result in a lengthy ban. I <crms_> !dumb <GeoffAnderson> crmsdota <crms_> damnit
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
March 07 2012 22:33 GMT
#168
On March 08 2012 07:08 dismiss wrote:
Dota feels so weird compared to LoL, I have no idea how long which hero can disable me and so on. h4h4 Really annoying.


I'm kinda approaching it like I approached LoL, just with more brain cause I know what works for me.

Basically this means: Do what I think will work, die a horrible death, find out why I died a horrible death and repeat the same mistake till I stop making it. =D


PS: Playing Nature's Prophet is a great way to learn who can gank you how hard and how fast. >_<
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 07 2012 22:37 GMT
#169
On March 08 2012 07:33 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2012 07:08 dismiss wrote:
Dota feels so weird compared to LoL, I have no idea how long which hero can disable me and so on. h4h4 Really annoying.


I'm kinda approaching it like I approached LoL, just with more brain cause I know what works for me.

Basically this means: Do what I think will work, die a horrible death, find out why I died a horrible death and repeat the same mistake till I stop making it. =D


PS: Playing Nature's Prophet is a great way to learn who can gank you how hard and how fast. >_<

I have a pretty good handle on the champs that see competitive play by watchin streams- IE Chen, NP, Enchantress, Venge, Invoker, ES.

The only champ that REALLY confused me up to this point was Doombringer. Dude made no sense.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 07 2012 22:40 GMT
#170
On March 08 2012 07:37 Two_DoWn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2012 07:33 r.Evo wrote:
On March 08 2012 07:08 dismiss wrote:
Dota feels so weird compared to LoL, I have no idea how long which hero can disable me and so on. h4h4 Really annoying.


I'm kinda approaching it like I approached LoL, just with more brain cause I know what works for me.

Basically this means: Do what I think will work, die a horrible death, find out why I died a horrible death and repeat the same mistake till I stop making it. =D


PS: Playing Nature's Prophet is a great way to learn who can gank you how hard and how fast. >_<

I have a pretty good handle on the champs that see competitive play by watchin streams- IE Chen, NP, Enchantress, Venge, Invoker, ES.

The only champ that REALLY confused me up to this point was Doombringer. Dude made no sense.

TBH there are a lot of heroes that SHOULD be seeing competitive play but aren't right now. For example, Dragon Knight and Ancient Apparition are huge in Chinese DotA 1 but are comparatively unseen in DotA 2.

It was actually really funny to see a bunch of teams picking DK after EG came back from China, build him incorrectly, get mediocre results, and then go back to their normal picking styles.
Moderator
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 07 2012 22:56 GMT
#171
Only thing I REALLY need in this game atm is an understanding of items and what is good on whom. Heroes are easy to learn. Items notsummuch.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
unichan
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States4223 Posts
March 08 2012 00:50 GMT
#172
On March 08 2012 07:33 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2012 07:08 dismiss wrote:
Dota feels so weird compared to LoL, I have no idea how long which hero can disable me and so on. h4h4 Really annoying.


I'm kinda approaching it like I approached LoL, just with more brain cause I know what works for me.

Basically this means: Do what I think will work, die a horrible death, find out why I died a horrible death and repeat the same mistake till I stop making it. =D


PS: Playing Nature's Prophet is a great way to learn who can gank you how hard and how fast. >_<

i do the same thing except figuring out why i died/learning from it
:)
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 08 2012 00:56 GMT
#173
Actually, now that I think about it, the most useful thing that someone could do for this thread would be to break down items into their lol (ish) equivalents and then say wether they are good, or if there is no lol equivalent explain why we should get it.

Kind of like how I got a Manta Style the other day and it was basically a PD only instead of crit I got 2 mini miranas, or how Mek is like summoner heal.

If someone would be willing to do that I would give HUGE props.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
danana
Profile Joined March 2011
United States321 Posts
March 08 2012 01:05 GMT
#174
On March 08 2012 09:56 Two_DoWn wrote:
Actually, now that I think about it, the most useful thing that someone could do for this thread would be to break down items into their lol (ish) equivalents and then say wether they are good, or if there is no lol equivalent explain why we should get it.

Kind of like how I got a Manta Style the other day and it was basically a PD only instead of crit I got 2 mini miranas, or how Mek is like summoner heal.

If someone would be willing to do that I would give HUGE props.


If you haven't seen the LoL transition guide linked in the OP, it has a section that does roughly that for items similar to LoL summoner spells:

Flash = Blink Dagger
Heal = Mekanism
Clarity = Arcane Boots
Teleport = Boots of Travel
Ignite = Dagon would be the closest I think
Smite = Hand of Midas
Revive = There is a buyback ability that allows you to spend gold to immediately re-enter the game
Ghost = Phase Boots
Rally = Each team has an ability to re-enforce their towers for a short time.
Exhaust = The Rod of Atos

Clairvoyance don't has an equivalent.


I agree that a break-down on items would be incredibly helpful (once I learn to actually get more than one last-hit per wave... I can't figure out why my last-hitting is THAT much worse in dota2 than in LoL)
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 08 2012 01:07 GMT
#175
Ya I saw that list for summoners, but a breakdown for the rest of the items with a description for what they were in lol terms- even if it was "really big bf sword" would be helpful.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-08 01:30:12
March 08 2012 01:29 GMT
#176
On March 08 2012 10:07 Two_DoWn wrote:
Ya I saw that list for summoners, but a breakdown for the rest of the items with a description for what they were in lol terms- even if it was "really big bf sword" would be helpful.


Do you want literally every item? I'll get to work on this, want to try to get the most accurate comparisons though.

Edit: Would your prefer I do it as Dota item-> LoL equivalent, or the other way around?
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 08 2012 01:32 GMT
#177
On March 08 2012 10:29 red_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2012 10:07 Two_DoWn wrote:
Ya I saw that list for summoners, but a breakdown for the rest of the items with a description for what they were in lol terms- even if it was "really big bf sword" would be helpful.


Do you want literally every item? I'll get to work on this, want to try to get the most accurate comparisons though.

Edit: Would your prefer I do it as Dota item-> LoL equivalent, or the other way around?

In my mind the most helpful thing would be Dota item->lol equivalent/description.

And I'll take how many ever items you are willing to translate.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
JBright
Profile Joined September 2010
Vancouver14381 Posts
March 08 2012 01:33 GMT
#178
On March 08 2012 10:05 danana wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2012 09:56 Two_DoWn wrote:
Actually, now that I think about it, the most useful thing that someone could do for this thread would be to break down items into their lol (ish) equivalents and then say wether they are good, or if there is no lol equivalent explain why we should get it.

Kind of like how I got a Manta Style the other day and it was basically a PD only instead of crit I got 2 mini miranas, or how Mek is like summoner heal.

If someone would be willing to do that I would give HUGE props.


If you haven't seen the LoL transition guide linked in the OP, it has a section that does roughly that for items similar to LoL summoner spells:

Show nested quote +
Flash = Blink Dagger
Heal = Mekanism
Clarity = Arcane Boots
Teleport = Boots of Travel
Ignite = Dagon would be the closest I think
Smite = Hand of Midas
Revive = There is a buyback ability that allows you to spend gold to immediately re-enter the game
Ghost = Phase Boots
Rally = Each team has an ability to re-enforce their towers for a short time.
Exhaust = The Rod of Atos

Clairvoyance don't has an equivalent.


I agree that a break-down on items would be incredibly helpful (once I learn to actually get more than one last-hit per wave... I can't figure out why my last-hitting is THAT much worse in dota2 than in LoL)


I would say ignite is more like negative urn charge and fortify is like fortify. Don't think rally has an equivalent.
ModeratorThe good and the wise lead quiet lives. Neo's #1 Frenemy and nightmare.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 08 2012 01:33 GMT
#179
On March 08 2012 09:56 Two_DoWn wrote:
Kind of like how I got a Manta Style the other day and it was basically a PD only instead of crit I got 2 mini miranas, or how Mek is like summoner heal.

There's also the part where it's a mini-QSS that even experienced players forget sometimes (activating Manta Style removes most debuffs from you).
Moderator
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 08 2012 01:35 GMT
#180
See, this is why you need ta do this yango.

Then I get list and copy it over a few times to remember the items and paste it to the wall while I play.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 135
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15044
Calm 2020
Mini 148
scan(afreeca) 25
Bale 14
Dota 2
febbydoto20
LuMiX1
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King42
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4952
Liquid`Hasu673
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2122
shahzam487
RotterdaM377
ToD292
C9.Mang0275
WinterStarcraft232
Dewaltoss51
JuggernautJason39
ZombieGrub39
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1110
Other Games
• imaqtpie1098
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 6m
INu's Battles
14h 6m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 6m
OSC
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.