• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:55
CEST 22:55
KST 05:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6951 users

[LiquidParty] DotA2 Learning Group ^.^ - Page 8

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 57 Next
While this thread is labeled "DotA2", this is in fact a community thread first. Many of the users in the TL LoL subforum have been playing as friends for over a year now, so it makes logical sense that they would want to play other games together.

Do not compare DotA2 to LoL, you will get banned.

TL LoL veterans know what is expected. Newcomers be warned.

gl hf
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 06 2012 22:15 GMT
#141
On March 07 2012 06:58 Two_DoWn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 06:56 TheYango wrote:
On March 07 2012 01:46 Two_DoWn wrote:
And anyway, I need a new character now that I have mastered Windrunner. Thinking of Queen of Pain.

Queen of Pain is actually quite a hard hero to play properly. Not a hero I'd recommend until you've got a good grasp of the other heroes in the pool and all the items.

Mirana was a good suggestion.

But how can a hero with a 5 second blink be hard?

1) By being one of the squishiest heroes in the game
2) By being one of the most positioning-dependent heroes in the game, while also being one of the most punishing for positioning errors
3) By having some of the most diverse and situational item selection in the game
Moderator
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 06 2012 22:18 GMT
#142
On March 07 2012 07:14 Juicyfruit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 06:58 Two_DoWn wrote:
On March 07 2012 06:56 TheYango wrote:
On March 07 2012 01:46 Two_DoWn wrote:
And anyway, I need a new character now that I have mastered Windrunner. Thinking of Queen of Pain.

Queen of Pain is actually quite a hard hero to play properly. Not a hero I'd recommend until you've got a good grasp of the other heroes in the pool and all the items.

Mirana was a good suggestion.

But how can a hero with a 5 second blink be hard?


Cos you're bad @ Kassadin.

Seriously though, it seems like she's trading away a lot of utility for that blink, which means you have to use it really well. The blink probably won't get maxed until her other two skills? So it'd be like 12second cd for most of the game. Plus it pops projectiles and when I play dota I can't see shit much less figure out what projectile is coming at me, lolol.

I never got into dota because the only heroes I liked were lanaya, puck and chen, all of which were way too hard for a moba noob.

My kass is amazing TYVM.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 06 2012 22:18 GMT
#143
On March 07 2012 07:14 Juicyfruit wrote:
Cos you're bad @ Kassadin.

Seriously though, it seems like she's trading away a lot of utility for that blink, which means you have to use it really well. The blink probably won't get maxed until her other two skills? So it'd be like 12second cd for most of the game. Plus it pops projectiles and when I play dota I can't see shit much less figure out what projectile is coming at me, lolol.

I never got into dota because the only heroes I liked were lanaya, puck and chen, all of which were way too hard for a moba noob.

Kassadin is actually a really good comparison for her.

You generally max Blink second, after E and before Q (you only really get Q to screw people out of getting to use Salves early game). Though after the E buff (it now has full range at every rank rather than scaling up from 400->475) it's not uncommon to get 1-2 extra ranks of Blink in unsafe lanes.
Moderator
dnastyx
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States2707 Posts
March 06 2012 22:27 GMT
#144
Fuck that. MORE DEEPS. MORE NUKING POWER.

But yeah, blink is usually last.
dismiss
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom3341 Posts
March 06 2012 22:49 GMT
#145
dismiss / cYnic http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014459320

Would be super sweet if you could add me to the list, please. :> Have had the beta forever but never played it, haha.
Failure to improve posting standards will result in a lengthy ban. I <crms_> !dumb <GeoffAnderson> crmsdota <crms_> damnit
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
March 07 2012 00:03 GMT
#146
On March 07 2012 07:02 Senx wrote:
Senx / Senx http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960974430

add me to group please

How do you actually join a custom channel, I can only click on the rooms from the premade list..

And no the autoexec stuff didnt work.


@all: k, got everyone except for dismiss added because steam doesn't like him. =D


Did you try the suggestion for if autoexec doesn't work?


IF THIS FAILS TRY THIS:
1) open config.cfg
2) find the parameter "dota_camera_speed"
3) change the area around it to something like this:

dota_camera_speed "5000"
dota_custom_channels "teamliquid;LiquidParty;"
dota_gamescom_althack "0"


Seems like the last patch broke the autojoin stuff in the autoexec.cfg for whatever reason. qq.



Because if yes, I'm kinda lost there. I still autojoin my TL/LP channels but I just tried to add reddit to my autojoin and it doesn't work no matter where I add it. Time to check Valve forums, I guess. -.-
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 07 2012 00:10 GMT
#147
I autojoin LP on starting up Dota and I didnt do anything.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
dismiss
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom3341 Posts
March 07 2012 00:39 GMT
#148
On March 07 2012 09:03 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 07:02 Senx wrote:
Senx / Senx http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960974430

add me to group please

How do you actually join a custom channel, I can only click on the rooms from the premade list..

And no the autoexec stuff didnt work.


@all: k, got everyone except for dismiss added because steam doesn't like him. =D


Did you try the suggestion for if autoexec doesn't work?


Show nested quote +
IF THIS FAILS TRY THIS:
1) open config.cfg
2) find the parameter "dota_camera_speed"
3) change the area around it to something like this:

dota_camera_speed "5000"
dota_custom_channels "teamliquid;LiquidParty;"
dota_gamescom_althack "0"


Seems like the last patch broke the autojoin stuff in the autoexec.cfg for whatever reason. qq.



Because if yes, I'm kinda lost there. I still autojoin my TL/LP channels but I just tried to add reddit to my autojoin and it doesn't work no matter where I add it. Time to check Valve forums, I guess. -.-

D: What's wrong with my steam?
Failure to improve posting standards will result in a lengthy ban. I <crms_> !dumb <GeoffAnderson> crmsdota <crms_> damnit
Goshawk.
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United Kingdom5338 Posts
March 07 2012 00:50 GMT
#149
On March 07 2012 09:10 Two_DoWn wrote:
I autojoin LP on starting up Dota and I didnt do anything.


If you just join chat channels through the console then you will auto connect to them when you start dota2. No need for launch options stuff.
520
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2822 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-07 03:39:12
March 07 2012 03:32 GMT
#150
Scintillia on LoL, http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/scintilliaSD on DotA 2, if anyone wants to catch me on either.
Writer
PartyBiscuit
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada4525 Posts
March 07 2012 03:58 GMT
#151
Can't do it guys...can't do it. I'm 1-3 with windrunner with all scores going 8+/1-3/X. I'm thinking the only way to raise my MMR here is with partying because I keep getting all the players who are worse than me TT.

Anyway, actual question, who would you recommend is a newb friendly hard carry hero to play? I've mostly just done in houses with redditnoobs channel, but in my soloq games it feels like lvl 1-5 in LoL all over again
the farm ends here
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 07 2012 04:33 GMT
#152
On March 07 2012 12:58 PartyBiscuit wrote:
Can't do it guys...can't do it. I'm 1-3 with windrunner with all scores going 8+/1-3/X. I'm thinking the only way to raise my MMR here is with partying because I keep getting all the players who are worse than me TT.

Anyway, actual question, who would you recommend is a newb friendly hard carry hero to play? I've mostly just done in houses with redditnoobs channel, but in my soloq games it feels like lvl 1-5 in LoL all over again

Hard carries are actually a really poor way to win pub games. Regardless of the stage of the game, your teammates usually won't do a good job in creating the room you need to farm, and you'll often lose games before they can get to the point where they're under your control.

The best heroes for winning pub games are semicarries with strong lategame potential--you can take control of the game early, and maintain your strength throughout. So long as you use your advantage to suppress the development of heroes that are stronger than you lategame, you shouldn't be afraid of "harder" carries because they will be less farmed than you. Someone like Mirana or Windrunner isn't scared of Spectre if Spectre is a full big item behind her.

Windrunner is actually a fairly good semicarry for winning pub games. Others to try would be Night Stalker, Mirana, or Viper.
Moderator
UniversalSnip
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
9871 Posts
March 07 2012 05:40 GMT
#153
On March 07 2012 07:15 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 06:58 Two_DoWn wrote:
On March 07 2012 06:56 TheYango wrote:
On March 07 2012 01:46 Two_DoWn wrote:
And anyway, I need a new character now that I have mastered Windrunner. Thinking of Queen of Pain.

Queen of Pain is actually quite a hard hero to play properly. Not a hero I'd recommend until you've got a good grasp of the other heroes in the pool and all the items.

Mirana was a good suggestion.

But how can a hero with a 5 second blink be hard?

1) By being one of the squishiest heroes in the game
2) By being one of the most positioning-dependent heroes in the game, while also being one of the most punishing for positioning errors
3) By having some of the most diverse and situational item selection in the game


she sounds more like ezreal than kass tbh.
"How fucking dare you defile the sanctity of DotA with your fucking casual plebian terminology? May the curse of Gaben and Volvo be upon you. le filthy casual."
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 07 2012 05:44 GMT
#154
On March 07 2012 14:40 UniversalSnip wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 07:15 TheYango wrote:
On March 07 2012 06:58 Two_DoWn wrote:
On March 07 2012 06:56 TheYango wrote:
On March 07 2012 01:46 Two_DoWn wrote:
And anyway, I need a new character now that I have mastered Windrunner. Thinking of Queen of Pain.

Queen of Pain is actually quite a hard hero to play properly. Not a hero I'd recommend until you've got a good grasp of the other heroes in the pool and all the items.

Mirana was a good suggestion.

But how can a hero with a 5 second blink be hard?

1) By being one of the squishiest heroes in the game
2) By being one of the most positioning-dependent heroes in the game, while also being one of the most punishing for positioning errors
3) By having some of the most diverse and situational item selection in the game


she sounds more like ezreal than kass tbh.

I mean, Ezreal isn't a nuker with an AoE nuke that wants him to be in <500 range for maximum effect
Moderator
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
March 07 2012 05:48 GMT
#155
Actually, QoP is very, very similar to kassadin. Not really even close to ezreal.
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
March 07 2012 06:23 GMT
#156
On March 07 2012 13:33 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 12:58 PartyBiscuit wrote:
Can't do it guys...can't do it. I'm 1-3 with windrunner with all scores going 8+/1-3/X. I'm thinking the only way to raise my MMR here is with partying because I keep getting all the players who are worse than me TT.

Anyway, actual question, who would you recommend is a newb friendly hard carry hero to play? I've mostly just done in houses with redditnoobs channel, but in my soloq games it feels like lvl 1-5 in LoL all over again

Hard carries are actually a really poor way to win pub games. Regardless of the stage of the game, your teammates usually won't do a good job in creating the room you need to farm, and you'll often lose games before they can get to the point where they're under your control.

The best heroes for winning pub games are semicarries with strong lategame potential--you can take control of the game early, and maintain your strength throughout. So long as you use your advantage to suppress the development of heroes that are stronger than you lategame, you shouldn't be afraid of "harder" carries because they will be less farmed than you. Someone like Mirana or Windrunner isn't scared of Spectre if Spectre is a full big item behind her.

Windrunner is actually a fairly good semicarry for winning pub games. Others to try would be Night Stalker, Mirana, or Viper.


Nightstalker is downright abusive in lower level games(so, very relevant to raising MMR). Also, since you mention raising MMR as if you know you belong higher(inferring a level of experience with the game) Invoker is similarly devastating. Basically if you pick a hero that just abuses mid, then has devastating ganks on sidelanes, all while being a hero that scales well(not necessarily hard carry scaling, but solid enough), then you will win games.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
Terranasaur
Profile Joined May 2011
United States2085 Posts
March 07 2012 06:25 GMT
#157
So. I just played a bot game. My first ever full game of DOTA. I was DK. I got like 3 kills. Died only 10 or so times. And we lost. I had most CS on my team and Ursa spent the whole game telling everyone we sucked.

Is autobuy a good idea for the newest of noobs? Also who is the EASIEST champ to learn. Like the one that can stay alive the easiest, still do some dece damage, and has a clear build/role? Just give me one to learn.
Decisions Determine Destiny - Terranasaur#1719 D3 #557 SC2 3DS FC: 2423-3623-8068
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
March 07 2012 06:28 GMT
#158
On March 07 2012 15:25 Terranasaur wrote:
So. I just played a bot game. My first ever full game of DOTA. I was DK. I got like 3 kills. Died only 10 or so times. And we lost. I had most CS on my team and Ursa spent the whole game telling everyone we sucked.

Is autobuy a good idea for the newest of noobs? Also who is the EASIEST champ to learn. Like the one that can stay alive the easiest, still do some dece damage, and has a clear build/role? Just give me one to learn.


DK is actually a really good newbie champ, you should stick with him. You can lvl up his E early as a crutch, then ween yourself off it as you get better at laning.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
Nehsb
Profile Joined May 2009
United States380 Posts
March 07 2012 06:32 GMT
#159
On March 07 2012 14:48 Itsmedudeman wrote:
Actually, QoP is very, very similar to kassadin. Not really even close to ezreal.


If (prenerf) kassadin was my favorite hero to play by far in LoL, would it be possible to start playing with QoP or would it be impossible to learn anything because she's too hard?
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-07 06:53:12
March 07 2012 06:35 GMT
#160
On March 07 2012 15:28 red_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 15:25 Terranasaur wrote:
So. I just played a bot game. My first ever full game of DOTA. I was DK. I got like 3 kills. Died only 10 or so times. And we lost. I had most CS on my team and Ursa spent the whole game telling everyone we sucked.

Is autobuy a good idea for the newest of noobs? Also who is the EASIEST champ to learn. Like the one that can stay alive the easiest, still do some dece damage, and has a clear build/role? Just give me one to learn.


DK is actually a really good newbie champ, you should stick with him. You can lvl up his E early as a crutch, then ween yourself off it as you get better at laning.

I agree that DK is a very good carry to start with. His abilities are straightforward, and you can practice playing him to whatever tempo you're comfortable with. He has strong laning, strong teamfighting at all phases of the game, is comfortable with both pushing and farming, has good AoE wave clearing, etc.

He's just generally well-rounded, and lets you focus on learning the game rather than getting to bogged down on the hero. Only downside is that he might seem a bit boring (but still better than someone like Skeleton King, IMO).

On March 07 2012 15:32 Nehsb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 14:48 Itsmedudeman wrote:
Actually, QoP is very, very similar to kassadin. Not really even close to ezreal.


If (prenerf) kassadin was my favorite hero to play by far in LoL, would it be possible to start playing with QoP or would it be impossible to learn anything because she's too hard?

I think QoP is hard to play effectively early on because she requires a good understanding of what the other heroes in the game are capable of, and is very sensitive to good item selection. She's not someone you can go the same cookie-cutter build every game and expect reasonable effectiveness from.

At the very least, I wouldn't start on her without some experience on some of the other casters. If you're interested in playing QoP, I think Puck is easier to start out on. They definitely don't play the same role but there are common elements to their play. Puck also generally just has a more straightforward role and item/skill progression, and is somewhat more forgiving overall.
Moderator
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 135
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15044
Calm 2020
Mini 148
scan(afreeca) 25
Bale 14
Dota 2
febbydoto20
LuMiX1
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King42
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4952
Liquid`Hasu673
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2122
shahzam487
RotterdaM377
ToD292
C9.Mang0275
WinterStarcraft232
Dewaltoss51
JuggernautJason39
ZombieGrub39
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1110
Other Games
• imaqtpie1098
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 6m
INu's Battles
14h 6m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 6m
OSC
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.