• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:54
CEST 22:54
KST 05:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6988 users

[LiquidParty] DotA2 Learning Group ^.^ - Page 6

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 57 Next
While this thread is labeled "DotA2", this is in fact a community thread first. Many of the users in the TL LoL subforum have been playing as friends for over a year now, so it makes logical sense that they would want to play other games together.

Do not compare DotA2 to LoL, you will get banned.

TL LoL veterans know what is expected. Newcomers be warned.

gl hf
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
March 05 2012 20:15 GMT
#101
On March 05 2012 22:47 Two_DoWn wrote:
So which site should I be reading guides on. Im assuming that there are tiers for stupidity like there are in lol.


Actually that part was depressing as fuck when I talked to Yango about heroes and whatnot yesterday. Like the first thing I do whenever I think "oh this hero sounds cool" is googling around. When I find multiple guides saying similar things I assume there is something to it and if I fail doing well with it it's probably my own damn fault.

Two random examples where I was like "fuck you internet":
-Vanguard. A lof of guides recommends "to get Heart/Vanguard" as your big defensive item. I still didn't get the thought process behind it. "Oh, that. Yeah, get Vanguard only when you needed ring of health for laning." - I COULDNT FIND THAT INFO ANYWHERE. =(

-Weaver. Yeah, he's a ranged agility carry. All resources I found built him rather squishy (ranged carry duh!) and I failed horribly since I couldn't pull off his W (invis+ms boost) or ulti (goes back in time 5s to avoid all damage dealt in that period) at all. "Oh, yeah, you need this and that as a defensive item first obv."


Honestly what I'm recommending at this point is wait for someone like Yango or Navi to be online, ask for a basic "How do I skill/build this dude?" and you probably get an answer that makes sense. =P


I'm writing a notepad file for myself where I can quickly see standard item builds/skilling orders, might just slap that into shape and put it up here when I managed to pull the stuff off I gathered so far.



@Yango: You forgot Weaver as a cool ranged carry, Clockwerk as a skillshotters BFF and Nightstalker for being a big bad stalker at night.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 05 2012 20:17 GMT
#102
You should send me that notepad of info.

And can someone explain the courier/how buying items works? Like WTF is my stash and all this dropping items on the ground and shit.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
March 05 2012 20:26 GMT
#103
On March 06 2012 05:17 Two_DoWn wrote:
You should send me that notepad of info.

And can someone explain the courier/how buying items works? Like WTF is my stash and all this dropping items on the ground and shit.


Urgs. Gimme a day or two, I'll put it into a readable form for non-revos.


Stash is where items are stored that you bought but didn't pick up yet. Basic work with the courier means you select him (F2 or F3) press "grab all" from your stash and tell him to deliver that shit to you via the couriers "skills".

More advanced stuff includes the courier being able to buy items from sideshops, warding with him (a bug afaik) and dropping your teammates items on the ground if you want to troll them.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
March 05 2012 20:26 GMT
#104
If you have courier selected it will buy items on courier, which can walk/fly items out to people.

If you just open store with hotkey it will buy them onto you or the stash(if you aren't in range).

Courier can grab items from stash, or deliver items to stash(say you bought something on courier at side/secret shop, then wanted to go combine with items in stash, or you bought then died so you can't deliver to yourself).
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 05 2012 20:36 GMT
#105
So if I buy shit from a side shop, it goes into my stash, which I then need to direct the courrier to deliver to me?
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-05 20:41:38
March 05 2012 20:40 GMT
#106
On March 06 2012 05:36 Two_DoWn wrote:
So if I buy shit from a side shop, it goes into my stash, which I then need to direct the courrier to deliver to me?


If you're next to a side shop you can buy it yourself. Same for secret shops.

If you aren't there you can move the courier to it so he can buy it into his inventory and then deliver it.


If neither you nor your courier are there you can't buy shit from it.

Edit: Think of the courier like a brosef that shares the same bank account as you and who can physically grab items and deliver them.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 05 2012 20:42 GMT
#107
Hmm thats wierd then cuz I think I remember buying stuff at a side shop only didnt actually get it and it got put in my stash instead.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
March 05 2012 20:46 GMT
#108
On March 06 2012 05:42 Two_DoWn wrote:
Hmm thats wierd then cuz I think I remember buying stuff at a side shop only didnt actually get it and it got put in my stash instead.


You probably stood next to the side shop but tried to buy an item that's not sold there but at the fountain instead. ---> You have an item in your fountain stash and are like "wtf?"

Here's the list about what they sell: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Side_Shop
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
March 05 2012 20:47 GMT
#109
Hmm ya I think I was trying to buy health pots (or whatever they are called in dota) which do not appear to be in the side shop.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-05 21:47:38
March 05 2012 20:59 GMT
#110
On March 06 2012 05:15 r.Evo wrote:
Two random examples where I was like "fuck you internet":
-Vanguard. A lof of guides recommends "to get Heart/Vanguard" as your big defensive item. I still didn't get the thought process behind it. "Oh, that. Yeah, get Vanguard only when you needed ring of health for laning." - I COULDNT FIND THAT INFO ANYWHERE. =(

To be fair, that's a pretty recent thing that lots of people won't necessarily agree with yet--partly my own opinion based on recent changes, and partly what I've been seeing in competitive games.

It wasn't that many patches ago when Vanguard was was far and away the most cost-effective survivability item in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those guides were written back when you got Vanguard because it was just THAT good.

On March 06 2012 05:15 r.Evo wrote:
@Yango: You forgot Weaver as a cool ranged carry, Clockwerk as a skillshotters BFF and Nightstalker for being a big bad stalker at night.

I actually don't think Weaver is a great hero to start with. His lasthitting takes a while to get used to, and to really make good use of your ult, you have to have a good sense of how much damage people can do to you.

On March 06 2012 05:26 r.Evo wrote:
Stash is where items are stored that you bought but didn't pick up yet. Basic work with the courier means you select him (F2 or F3) press "grab all" from your stash and tell him to deliver that shit to you via the couriers "skills".

Grab items from stash is also by default hotkeyed to E on the Courier.

W is also hotkeyed to "drop items in stash" though I don't remember if that's just your own, or allies' items as well.
Moderator
Terranasaur
Profile Joined May 2011
United States2085 Posts
March 05 2012 21:19 GMT
#111
This game. Holy shit. Couriers? Side Shops? What in the hell are you guys talking about?

I thought I had the basics down... Run to a lane. Kill some stuff. Buy Some stuff. Kill more stuff... ect... How do you get a courier? When do you get one? Can it be killed?

This game really needs a tutorial... Its overwhelming
Decisions Determine Destiny - Terranasaur#1719 D3 #557 SC2 3DS FC: 2423-3623-8068
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
March 05 2012 21:27 GMT
#112
On March 06 2012 06:19 Terranasaur wrote:
This game. Holy shit. Couriers? Side Shops? What in the hell are you guys talking about?

I thought I had the basics down... Run to a lane. Kill some stuff. Buy Some stuff. Kill more stuff... ect... How do you get a courier? When do you get one? Can it be killed?

This game really needs a tutorial... Its overwhelming


I hate to put it this way, but: please check the Purgatus guides in the OP, they cover all that basic stuff. Best "tutorial" I found so far. :>
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
UniversalSnip
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
9871 Posts
March 05 2012 22:13 GMT
#113
I'm thinking the most efficient way of shopping might actually be to buy into your stash, then have select courier, retrieve items and deliver items set to numpad 7 8 9 or something like that and just roll them. That way you don't lose control of your hero like you do if you buy with the courier selected, you can just hit the hotkey and shop while last hitting.
"How fucking dare you defile the sanctity of DotA with your fucking casual plebian terminology? May the curse of Gaben and Volvo be upon you. le filthy casual."
Terranasaur
Profile Joined May 2011
United States2085 Posts
March 05 2012 22:13 GMT
#114
On March 06 2012 06:27 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2012 06:19 Terranasaur wrote:
This game. Holy shit. Couriers? Side Shops? What in the hell are you guys talking about?

I thought I had the basics down... Run to a lane. Kill some stuff. Buy Some stuff. Kill more stuff... ect... How do you get a courier? When do you get one? Can it be killed?

This game really needs a tutorial... Its overwhelming


I hate to put it this way, but: please check the Purgatus guides in the OP, they cover all that basic stuff. Best "tutorial" I found so far. :>


Got them open now... Much more useful than the ones linked in the old "Hon/DoTa lets play" thread. Thanks!
Decisions Determine Destiny - Terranasaur#1719 D3 #557 SC2 3DS FC: 2423-3623-8068
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
March 05 2012 22:58 GMT
#115
On March 06 2012 07:13 UniversalSnip wrote:
I'm thinking the most efficient way of shopping might actually be to buy into your stash, then have select courier, retrieve items and deliver items set to numpad 7 8 9 or something like that and just roll them. That way you don't lose control of your hero like you do if you buy with the courier selected, you can just hit the hotkey and shop while last hitting.


I like this idea, and have come up with similar 'easy-type' things I can do to make the DotA 2 experience easier for me, but I'm afraid to implement them, because I am a noob.

If I come up with a bunch of shortcuts for myself, make them habit, and then find out I should be doing something more efficiently or in a different way I'll just end up screwing myself. I don't know enough about hero/item/creep/courier/hotkey interactions to start messing around with that comfortably because I find it very hard to create/break out of habits....
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-06 00:10:33
March 06 2012 00:10 GMT
#116
On March 06 2012 07:13 UniversalSnip wrote:
I'm thinking the most efficient way of shopping might actually be to buy into your stash, then have select courier, retrieve items and deliver items set to numpad 7 8 9 or something like that and just roll them. That way you don't lose control of your hero like you do if you buy with the courier selected, you can just hit the hotkey and shop while last hitting.

if you bind your courier to 1, and send items as R, you can just go 1, Shift+QWER and it will do select courier->return to base->drop other people's items->retrieve your items->send items to you.

Icefrog did a lot of good shit with the courier controls in DotA. Not all of the functions are ported to DotA 2 yet, but they'll probably be in there for the full release. DotA 1 courier had the ability to remember who the courier was last going to, so if you interrupted someone from sending their stuff to them, they can just press the "resume last delivery" button and it'd do the whole process of sending their stuff to them again.
Moderator
dnastyx
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States2707 Posts
March 06 2012 01:54 GMT
#117
I actually have my courier set to T, so I can do T Shift+QWER.
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
March 06 2012 02:42 GMT
#118
On March 06 2012 09:10 TheYango wrote:

Icefrog did a lot of good shit with the courier controls in DotA. Not all of the functions are ported to DotA 2 yet, but they'll probably be in there for the full release. DotA 1 courier had the ability to remember who the courier was last going to, so if you interrupted someone from sending their stuff to them, they can just press the "resume last delivery" button and it'd do the whole process of sending their stuff to them again.


I'm shocked courier functionality being complete wasn't one of the very first things done; it really is annoying in pubs. Miss dota1 courier so much(also miss penguin courier).
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
gtrsrs
Profile Joined June 2010
United States9109 Posts
March 06 2012 02:52 GMT
#119
Since I'm playing abysmally in lol lately, thought I'd swing into dota for a night instead. Anyone down for some lowbie 5v5 inhouses tonight? I should be on about 3.5 hours after this post
i play ... hearthstone =\^.^/= Winterfox
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 06 2012 04:13 GMT
#120
On March 06 2012 11:42 red_ wrote:
I'm shocked courier functionality being complete wasn't one of the very first things done; it really is annoying in pubs. Miss dota1 courier so much(also miss penguin courier).

According to some dev blog, courier models are going to be one of the things that will be sold in the cosmetic item shop.
Moderator
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 135
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15044
Calm 2020
Mini 148
scan(afreeca) 25
Bale 14
Dota 2
febbydoto20
LuMiX1
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King42
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4952
Liquid`Hasu673
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2122
shahzam487
RotterdaM377
ToD292
C9.Mang0275
WinterStarcraft232
Dewaltoss51
JuggernautJason39
ZombieGrub39
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1110
Other Games
• imaqtpie1098
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 6m
INu's Battles
14h 6m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 6m
OSC
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.