• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:10
CEST 07:10
KST 14:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6124 users

[LiquidParty] DotA2 Learning Group ^.^ - Page 52

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 57 Next
While this thread is labeled "DotA2", this is in fact a community thread first. Many of the users in the TL LoL subforum have been playing as friends for over a year now, so it makes logical sense that they would want to play other games together.

Do not compare DotA2 to LoL, you will get banned.

TL LoL veterans know what is expected. Newcomers be warned.

gl hf
PrinceXizor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States17713 Posts
August 13 2013 09:42 GMT
#1021
On August 13 2013 17:35 Haasts wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2013 16:47 TheYango wrote:
This leads to the style contentiously known as "rat dota", which was most heavily used by Alliance and Fnatic and which prominently showed themselves in the final.


What's the etymology of "rat dota" / what are the hallmarks of the playstyle/strat/draft? Dipping my toes into DotA2 again and the term's being used a lot with little explanation. "Rat" as in "you dirty rat"/"vermin"-y playstyle, or a more prosaic explanation (some equivalent to LoL's Twitch being core to the strategy)?

From the team itself:


zer0das
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States8519 Posts
August 17 2013 15:08 GMT
#1022
I have to say, playing Dota2 the first time is really confusing, even with the guides written by Yango. If I didn't have those, this would be a lost cause.

It's also hilarious having an Ashe ult on a 15 second cd while getting hit by Karthus ult every 90 seconds. I'm sure this can only get better haha.
Fatalize
Profile Joined January 2011
France5210 Posts
August 19 2013 10:22 GMT
#1023
On August 18 2013 00:08 zer0das wrote:
I have to say, playing Dota2 the first time is really confusing, even with the guides written by Yango. If I didn't have those, this would be a lost cause.

It's also hilarious having an Ashe ult on a 15 second cd while getting hit by Karthus ult every 90 seconds. I'm sure this can only get better haha.


This is what makes Dota 2 really interesting when you're coming from LoL. When you compare the two it feels like LoL skills are incredibly underwhelming. In Dota your abilities feel strong and really powerful. At least that's what got me in. When i saw Tidehunter's Ravage i thought "This looks so ridiculously strong"
cLutZ
Profile Joined November 2010
United States19574 Posts
August 20 2013 01:23 GMT
#1024
I have completed Mechanics #1. So far im loving this.
Freeeeeeedom
remedium
Profile Joined July 2011
United States939 Posts
August 23 2013 14:18 GMT
#1025
If anyone was unaware, Dota2 is out for Mac now! You need 10.7 or higher to play (might as well get 10.8 because they both cost $20).

Stay positive!
McRatyn
Profile Joined January 2013
Poland901 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-04 18:38:25
October 04 2013 18:36 GMT
#1026
Actually when comparing LoL and Dota 2 my friend who's fairly good at the former (mechanically, still lacking something i guess cause, let's just say, not challenger material XD) says Dota 2 is a lot easier with only 2 things being harder - 3 shops with courier and the map being larger. On his first game without me he went like 30-somethng / 3 on Bounty Hunter ;P Now while I enjoy Dota 2 more I think i agree with his sentiment. It was very hard for me to get a positive win/loss ratio (prolly never did, 250/270 or close to that on my main ) but in Dota I've been on the plus side almost right from the get go, wich I enjoy a lot I attribute this to Dota heros' abilities being more significant early, slighly bigger tendency to snowball, and larger impact of farming on your play. It also seems to be "easier" to carry 1v5 due to 2 afromentioned points.

Edit: Read the blue text in the white box. Post was meant to tie in to the post about transition LoL -> Dota 2 (couple higher). I'll delete it if the Ban Hammer is upon me. Cheers!
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
October 04 2013 21:32 GMT
#1027
On October 05 2013 03:36 McRatyn wrote:
Actually when comparing LoL and Dota 2 my friend who's fairly good at the former (mechanically, still lacking something i guess cause, let's just say, not challenger material XD) says Dota 2 is a lot easier with only 2 things being harder - 3 shops with courier and the map being larger. On his first game without me he went like 30-somethng / 3 on Bounty Hunter ;P Now while I enjoy Dota 2 more I think i agree with his sentiment. It was very hard for me to get a positive win/loss ratio (prolly never did, 250/270 or close to that on my main ) but in Dota I've been on the plus side almost right from the get go, wich I enjoy a lot I attribute this to Dota heros' abilities being more significant early, slighly bigger tendency to snowball, and larger impact of farming on your play. It also seems to be "easier" to carry 1v5 due to 2 afromentioned points.

Edit: Read the blue text in the white box. Post was meant to tie in to the post about transition LoL -> Dota 2 (couple higher). I'll delete it if the Ban Hammer is upon me. Cheers!


Both games have tons of shit to 'learn' but I still firmly believe Dota just requires more focus in game(I can't think of a better way to describe it) if you are trying to be a truly good player. I feel like the easiest example to this idea is what you are thinking about laning in each game, where Dota just has more shit to keep track of(and thus more shit to lose track of or fuck up and cause you to miss cs, or lose health, or die). A lot of this really does come down to denies existing(which forces you to consider your opponents attack damage and animation for more than just potential trades, but for every single creep death during lane phase), but the larger map with limited ward availability + smoke + TPs + runes + more gank paths built into the map to begin with also play into it as well.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
October 04 2013 21:35 GMT
#1028
It is probably true that it's easier to carry a bunch of goons 1v9 in DotA though.
Moderator
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
October 04 2013 21:37 GMT
#1029
On October 05 2013 06:35 TheYango wrote:
It is probably true that it's easier to carry a bunch of goons 1v9 in DotA though.


I guess I just don't really think about it like that because at the level you can do that in either game it's ridiculously easy in both. I just think people haven't played an 'I'm a beginner' smurf game in League in awhile to remember the equivalent to new account smurf doto.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-27 05:46:38
October 27 2013 00:10 GMT
#1030
Teach me the DotA's.

<3

EDIT: LOL.

Low level DotA so fun. I dunno what anything does, or what anything is, or what to do, I just always have most gold and do the killing. Haha. Fun. :D

Just been picking sniper and trucking kids mid.Best part is how much people rage when I say I am a LoL player at the end of the game, meanhwhile I have the most creeps, most damage dealt, most damage taken, least deaths...

Usually some random Riki/Bounty Hunter or something comes in a takes all the kills, but I having fun.

EDIT 2: After stomping a few gamess, I pretty firmly in Smurf territory in matchmaking... I dont gets it. DotA is hard. QQ
AsmodeusXI
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States15536 Posts
November 18 2013 16:01 GMT
#1031
God this game is goofy. But it's so much fun. The beauty of going LoL -> DotA is feeling OP all the goddamn time.
WriterTL > RL. BNet: Asmodeus#1187 - LoL: DJForeclosure - Steam: asmodeusxi | www.n3rddimension.com
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
November 18 2013 18:10 GMT
#1032
Played Earth Spirit yesterday, he's quite fun. He's like what would happen if Syndra and Alistar had a love child.

Also please note that I would rather not see Syndra and Alistar have a love child, especially not in comic form.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
November 18 2013 18:57 GMT
#1033
On November 19 2013 03:10 kainzero wrote:
Played Earth Spirit yesterday, he's quite fun. He's like what would happen if Syndra and Alistar had a love child.

Also please note that I would rather not see Syndra and Alistar have a love child, especially not in comic form.

Role-wise Lee Sin is actually probably the best comparison.

Still, in general Earth Spirit feels like he draws inspiration from several LoL champs.
Moderator
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
November 18 2013 20:18 GMT
#1034
Being able to Boulder Smash while rolling makes it so easy to feel like Insec, especially because you automatically end up behind who you hit.
TheLink
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia2725 Posts
November 26 2013 19:58 GMT
#1035
Is clicking "Find a Match" and queuing up not the normal method for playing DotA 2? been meaning to learn the game properly for some time and the season 4 chaos is pretty unappealing to me so I thought I'd try now.

Also Yango just wanted to say your item guide is the best thing ever. The shop is easily the most confusing thing for me.
Only the weak link is strong enough to break the chain.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-26 20:53:25
November 26 2013 20:52 GMT
#1036
I should update that, it's definitely outdated again.

On November 27 2013 04:58 TheLink wrote:
Is clicking "Find a Match" and queuing up not the normal method for playing DotA 2? been meaning to learn the game properly for some time and the season 4 chaos is pretty unappealing to me so I thought I'd try now.

Yes.

IIRC there's a "solo queue" option in one of the match options selections at the bottom that tries to match you only against other players who are queueing by themselves, but I never used that option so I'm not sure if they moved it somewhere else or not by now.
Moderator
Roffles *
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Pitcairn19291 Posts
November 26 2013 20:54 GMT
#1037
On October 05 2013 06:35 TheYango wrote:
It is probably true that it's easier to carry a bunch of goons 1v9 in DotA though.

Wat about 9 KissBlades?
God Bless
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
November 26 2013 20:57 GMT
#1038
Roffles pls. If there are 9 Kissblades, there are 5 on the enemy team and only 4 on my team.
Moderator
AsmodeusXI
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States15536 Posts
November 26 2013 20:58 GMT
#1039
On November 27 2013 05:57 TheYango wrote:
Roffles pls. If there are 9 Kissblades, there are 5 on the enemy team and only 4 on my team.


And there are so many more long range ults to miss (I think).
WriterTL > RL. BNet: Asmodeus#1187 - LoL: DJForeclosure - Steam: asmodeusxi | www.n3rddimension.com
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
November 26 2013 21:00 GMT
#1040
The solo queue option is on the far right box, something like "Don't match against parties when alone."
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 103
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2498
GuemChi 708
Leta 162
Snow 94
Terrorterran 68
NaDa 35
Bale 31
Noble 15
Icarus 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
febbydoto23
League of Legends
JimRising 631
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox413
Mew2King57
Other Games
summit1g7209
WinterStarcraft366
C9.Mang0282
Sick135
ViBE91
Trikslyr34
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick548
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 109
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2144
League of Legends
• Lourlo1271
• Stunt433
Other Games
• Shiphtur486
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 50m
Patches Events
10h 50m
The PondCast
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 5h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.