• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:13
CEST 23:13
KST 06:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13395 users

My city passed a smoking-ban - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Piy
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Scotland3152 Posts
March 13 2009 13:47 GMT
#61
They did this in Scotland. It made life better.
My. Copy. Is. Here.
MC9876
Profile Joined March 2009
Netherlands82 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-13 13:52:49
March 13 2009 13:52 GMT
#62
On March 13 2009 22:41 Zoler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2009 22:23 MC9876 wrote:


Smoking wtf? I said alcohol will be banned someday....

But I'm sure smoking will be banned someday too, I have no idea when but 100-200 years maybe?


In America they tried banning alcohol al long time ago, not with any succes I believe. So I don't think that'll happen.


They tried in Sweden as well, was 49% yes 51% no. If alcohol was discovered today it would be banned instantly right? It's impossible to know but someday I think it will happen.



49%, didn't expect that...
People need stuff to escape reality once in a while, can be alcohol, cigarettes, extreme sports or videogames. I think banning them, is a bad idea.

On-topic. Recently smoking in bars in the Netherlands is banned and a lot of bar and cafe owners still let their customers smoke. There's a lot of discussion wether it's a good idea or not.
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-13 14:02:27
March 13 2009 14:01 GMT
#63
On March 13 2009 22:23 MC9876 wrote:
Show nested quote +


Smoking wtf? I said alcohol will be banned someday....

But I'm sure smoking will be banned someday too, I have no idea when but 100-200 years maybe?


In America they tried banning alcohol al long time ago, not with any succes I believe. So I don't think that'll happen.


It gave way to the Al Capones and other gangsters of the world, since there was a ban on something that everyone wanted. You figure we'd learn, but our ridiculous drug policy shows we don't. All it does is just breed criminals and drug lords. Axe the drug laws we have, and the criminal element gets cut in half overnight. Alas, I have digressed.

Alcohol will never be banned again. I'd put any amount of money on that.

The smoking ban is great. Smokers don't have a right to shit up everyone else's health. And the people who are saying second hand smoke doesn't do anything.... lol

At least outdoor smoking allows it to dissipate, making the effects pretty marginal.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
MrBobby
Profile Joined February 2008
United Kingdom21 Posts
March 13 2009 14:29 GMT
#64
I utterly fail to see why they couldn't give the choice to the place of work, where if all employee's are happy with it, smoking is allowed. If not... not.
This way no employee is made uncomfortable, and both smokers and non-smokers can choose where they want to eat/drink/socialise.
There would have to be a debate on whether new employee's would be able to demand the right to work somewhere even if they were then going to ask for no smoking... but it makes more sense for them to chose somewhere they like to work... if you hate working with meat you don't apply for a job in the butchers and then demand that they stop selling meat so they don't offend you.
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
March 13 2009 14:34 GMT
#65
On March 13 2009 20:13 FakeSteve[TPR] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2009 20:02 JohnColtrane wrote:
lol fuck smoking

if you want to smoke fine do it in your home, dont do it in a public place that other people are in. cig smoke causes so many damn health problems, i dont care if smokers dont give a shit about their own health but the problem is it affects EVERYONE elses that breaths the smoke. skydiving doesnt have the potential to kill others that arent skydivers, but smoking does.

i wish australia would just ban cigarettes altogether


it does if your parachute doesnt open and you land on somebody


what if you land over another skydiver?
Moderator<:3-/-<
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
March 13 2009 14:38 GMT
#66
Dooes cutting meat leads to cardiovascular disease, cancer and respitory problems? There's a big difference in something offending you and something being detrimental to your health, and others.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
LaLuSh
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden2358 Posts
March 13 2009 14:40 GMT
#67
On March 13 2009 23:34 IntoTheWow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2009 20:13 FakeSteve[TPR] wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:02 JohnColtrane wrote:
lol fuck smoking

if you want to smoke fine do it in your home, dont do it in a public place that other people are in. cig smoke causes so many damn health problems, i dont care if smokers dont give a shit about their own health but the problem is it affects EVERYONE elses that breaths the smoke. skydiving doesnt have the potential to kill others that arent skydivers, but smoking does.

i wish australia would just ban cigarettes altogether


it does if your parachute doesnt open and you land on somebody


what if you land over another skydiver?





A ban on smoking in public places is a good thing. Welcome to the civilised world.
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
March 13 2009 15:11 GMT
#68
If you don’t want to inhale second hand smoke, and the bar allows smoking, don’t go. The bar can’t force you to go and likewise you shouldn’t be able to force the bar to operate against their wishes.

How does that concern all second hand smoke? You don't think people smoke when I am waiting at the bus stop? Or at school when I am walking home there are clouds of people smoking by the exit. Some of my friends' parents smoke, so does that mean I shouldn't go visit my friend anymore? I would say I understand your example of going to the bar but even that doesn't seem fair to me, perhaps make a certain atrea in the bar designated for smoking or something if anything. That's not fair at all to me.

Of course I don't care if people want to kill themselves by smoking, it's completely their choice, but the fact they it causes harm to people around them is what gets to me. I would love to have that ban passed where I live.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
Mindcrime
Profile Joined July 2004
United States6899 Posts
March 13 2009 15:14 GMT
#69
On March 13 2009 21:28 Zoler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2009 20:50 Zyrre wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:38 JohnColtrane wrote:
cars serve a purpose, what purpose does smoking serve?


I'm not a smoker myself, but obviously people enjoy smoking since they keep doing it.
Cars let's people drive, which is more enjoyable then walking.



Show nested quote +
On March 13 2009 20:54 ZoW wrote:
The purpose of smoking is the nicotine. Nicotine in cigarettes release dopamine from your brain. Dopamine is the chemical your brain releases to tell your body "this feels good". That is why people smoke.


It's a drug and should be banned. I also can't stand the smoke.


Caffeine is also a drug.
That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
March 13 2009 15:22 GMT
#70
On March 14 2009 00:14 Mindcrime wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2009 21:28 Zoler wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:50 Zyrre wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:38 JohnColtrane wrote:
cars serve a purpose, what purpose does smoking serve?


I'm not a smoker myself, but obviously people enjoy smoking since they keep doing it.
Cars let's people drive, which is more enjoyable then walking.



On March 13 2009 20:54 ZoW wrote:
The purpose of smoking is the nicotine. Nicotine in cigarettes release dopamine from your brain. Dopamine is the chemical your brain releases to tell your body "this feels good". That is why people smoke.


It's a drug and should be banned. I also can't stand the smoke.


Caffeine is also a drug.

Yea this and bw are my two addictions tbh
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
Mindcrime
Profile Joined July 2004
United States6899 Posts
March 13 2009 15:24 GMT
#71
Smoking bans are great, but I think we can do more to protect the people from themselves and further the common good. I think that the governments of the world should demand that all citizens be on healthy diets. After all, hospitals will pass on the cost of the fatties' quadruple bypasses to other patients if they can't pay.
That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.
stenole
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Norway869 Posts
March 13 2009 15:26 GMT
#72
If smoking is allowed in indoor public places, it should also be allowed to dump garbage on people while the victims are bound by norms that say they can't do anything about it. It's my right to do with my life as I want. I should be allowed to dump garbage on people.
Ingenol
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States1328 Posts
March 13 2009 15:27 GMT
#73
Excellent post. I'm not a smoker but I detest anti-smoking laws. Pragmatism is wide-spread and extremely dangerous, and the basic premise here is that man is not fit to rule his own life and needs a "Big Brother" to keep him from hurting himself. The difference between these laws and a society like 1984 is really only a question of scale, and sadly with the way politics have been shifting over the last many decades that translates to only a matter of time.

I implore you all to stop thinking in concretes ("smoking is bad for you," "I don't smoke anyway") and start looking at the ideals behind the legislation ("you don't control your life/business/etc., the government does").
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
March 13 2009 15:30 GMT
#74
On March 14 2009 00:14 Mindcrime wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2009 21:28 Zoler wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:50 Zyrre wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:38 JohnColtrane wrote:
cars serve a purpose, what purpose does smoking serve?


I'm not a smoker myself, but obviously people enjoy smoking since they keep doing it.
Cars let's people drive, which is more enjoyable then walking.



On March 13 2009 20:54 ZoW wrote:
The purpose of smoking is the nicotine. Nicotine in cigarettes release dopamine from your brain. Dopamine is the chemical your brain releases to tell your body "this feels good". That is why people smoke.


It's a drug and should be banned. I also can't stand the smoke.


Caffeine is also a drug.


True you don't get addicted of it that easy like smoking (which has the same level as heroin).
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
March 13 2009 15:32 GMT
#75
On March 14 2009 00:30 Zoler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2009 00:14 Mindcrime wrote:
On March 13 2009 21:28 Zoler wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:50 Zyrre wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:38 JohnColtrane wrote:
cars serve a purpose, what purpose does smoking serve?


I'm not a smoker myself, but obviously people enjoy smoking since they keep doing it.
Cars let's people drive, which is more enjoyable then walking.



On March 13 2009 20:54 ZoW wrote:
The purpose of smoking is the nicotine. Nicotine in cigarettes release dopamine from your brain. Dopamine is the chemical your brain releases to tell your body "this feels good". That is why people smoke.


It's a drug and should be banned. I also can't stand the smoke.


Caffeine is also a drug.


True you don't get addicted of it that easy like smoking (which has the same level as heroin).


Iunno, coffee is a bitch to give up =p

I did it for a bit because I started eating breakfast (helps you wake up) but now I'm back to like 2 cups every work day >_<
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Zyrre
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden291 Posts
March 13 2009 15:38 GMT
#76
On March 13 2009 21:01 Oystein wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2009 20:36 Zyrre wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:28 Oystein wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:23 Loanshark wrote:
On March 13 2009 20:02 JohnColtrane wrote:
lol fuck smoking

if you want to smoke fine do it in your home, dont do it in a public place that other people are in. cig smoke causes so many damn health problems, i dont care if smokers dont give a shit about their own health but the problem is it affects EVERYONE elses that breaths the smoke. skydiving doesnt have the potential to kill others that arent skydivers, but smoking does.

i wish australia would just ban cigarettes altogether


Uh no. Secondhand smoke only causes permanent/serious problems in cramped places with long term exposure. I don't think anyone has ever been killed by secondhand smoke inhalation.

While it don`t kill you it smells like shit, and makes the air nasty to breath. Should we non smoker have to smell like ashes after going out for a dinner just so the smokers can kill themselves slowly and pollute the air for the rest of us?


Smelling bad isn't really an argument to make it illegal, and them taking a few years of their lives on average is a choice they should be allowed to make.
Polluting the air? If that's your worry you might want to make cars illegal instead.

Its a damn good argument for making it illegal in public indoor places, I don`t care if people smoke outside (tho in ideal world smokes would be totally banned). And I did not mean it in the sense "oh noes the ozone layer is failing" I meant it in the way that I have to breath the air that smells\tastes like smoke, and as coltrane said, cars serve a purpose, smoking don`t.

Like I said in my last post I want to be able to go to a restaurant for lunch and not smell like ashes coming back from it, and luckily where I live I can do that


If people choose resturants depending on if they allow smoking or not, some resturants would simply not allow it to get more customers. If that is your problem, there is no problem. No reason for government to step in and not let resturant owners choose for themselves.
"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
sprawlers
Profile Joined June 2007
Norway439 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-13 15:47:54
March 13 2009 15:44 GMT
#77
On March 14 2009 00:27 Ingenol wrote:
Excellent post. I'm not a smoker but I detest anti-smoking laws. Pragmatism is wide-spread and extremely dangerous, and the basic premise here is that man is not fit to rule his own life and needs a "Big Brother" to keep him from hurting himself. The difference between these laws and a society like 1984 is really only a question of scale, and sadly with the way politics have been shifting over the last many decades that translates to only a matter of time.

I implore you all to stop thinking in concretes ("smoking is bad for you," "I don't smoke anyway") and start looking at the ideals behind the legislation ("you don't control your life/business/etc., the government does").

The point is that you are not only hurting yourself but those around you. You are so scared to lose some of your freedom, that you don't realize that its already plenty of restrictions put on you for the good of others. You cant go around beating people up without consequences, that is the government controlling and restricting your life for the good of others, one of the most basic functions of a government. The reason it wasn't implemented long ago is because they didn't know the effects of smoking on your health, or in US's case because they don't use tax-money to help them after they've hurt themselves.
MiniRoman
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Canada3953 Posts
March 13 2009 15:48 GMT
#78
On March 14 2009 00:24 Mindcrime wrote:
Smoking bans are great, but I think we can do more to protect the people from themselves and further the common good. I think that the governments of the world should demand that all citizens be on healthy diets. After all, hospitals will pass on the cost of the fatties' quadruple bypasses to other patients if they can't pay.


Thats a huge violation of personal freedom, it's impossible to monitor and "healthy" food is becoming increasingly more expensive at an alarming rate :O

Banning cigarettes does nothing to help the common good and would ruin fucktons of tobacco farmers lives all through the southern states. No government would ever cause blatent job losses.
Nak Allstar.
arbiter_md
Profile Joined February 2008
Moldova1219 Posts
March 13 2009 16:03 GMT
#79
I haven't been in a disco or a bar for ages. And you know why? Because in this country there's no such law, and I can't stand that smoke, not to tell about the smell of the clothes after you stay in such a place for more than 2 minutes.

I agree that it's quite possible that somebody started to smoke when he was unconscious, but so he could have started to take drugs or just suicide. It's his problem, I have enough of mine. And, is it that hard generally just to take a walk outside in order to smoke?
The copyright of this post belongs solely to me. Nobody else, not teamliquid, not greetech and not even blizzard have any share of this copyright. You can copy, distribute, use in commercial purposes the content of this post or parts of it freely.
TimmyMac
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada499 Posts
March 13 2009 16:08 GMT
#80
On March 14 2009 00:48 MiniRoman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2009 00:24 Mindcrime wrote:
Smoking bans are great, but I think we can do more to protect the people from themselves and further the common good. I think that the governments of the world should demand that all citizens be on healthy diets. After all, hospitals will pass on the cost of the fatties' quadruple bypasses to other patients if they can't pay.


Thats a huge violation of personal freedom, it's impossible to monitor and "healthy" food is becoming increasingly more expensive at an alarming rate :O

Banning cigarettes does nothing to help the common good and would ruin fucktons of tobacco farmers lives all through the southern states. No government would ever cause blatent job losses.

Healthy food isn't becoming more expensive at all... organic and healthy aren't the same thing.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O159
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17052
Calm 1987
Shuttle 329
White-Ra 245
Mini 185
ZZZero.O 159
firebathero 73
soO 12
Sacsri 5
League of Legends
Doublelift427
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5116
Liquid`Hasu60
Other Games
summit1g8688
FrodaN2183
Liquid`RaSZi2104
fl0m1222
crisheroes305
Pyrionflax200
IndyStarCraft 199
Livibee186
ToD179
C9.Mang0110
Mew2King61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick999
BasetradeTV229
StarCraft 2
angryscii 27
EmSc Tv 7
EmSc2Tv 7
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 28
• musti20045 26
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 40
• Azhi_Dahaki38
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1586
• Shiphtur670
• WagamamaTV313
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 47m
Replay Cast
1h 47m
OSC
14h 47m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.