• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:18
CEST 19:18
KST 02:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)58Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8792 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 3066

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 3064 3065 3066 3067 3068 5993 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18449 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 15:22:26
February 03 2021 15:20 GMT
#61301
On February 04 2021 00:11 Erasme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 00:06 Acrofales wrote:
On February 03 2021 20:45 Erasme wrote:
There was still a public human zoo in belgium in 1958.

I'm not sure how that connects to anything I said, but yes, there was.

Can't really say that europeans were above the concept of slavery when you could buy a zoo ticket to see how the "savages" lived in 1958.

Where did I say that? I said it was a "far far away" problem for most Europeans. Moreover, the "look how backwards these people are" thing isn't slavery. Slavery as such was abolished in 1958. That the Belgians behaved atrociously in Congo, and treated native Congolese appallingly, doesn't have much to do with slave trade. And in all honesty, things haven't improved much since the Belgium World Expo, 1958. There are still human zoos. They just happen to be "in situ" in Africa, SE Asia or South America now.
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 15:53:48
February 03 2021 15:53 GMT
#61302
On February 04 2021 00:20 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 00:11 Erasme wrote:
On February 04 2021 00:06 Acrofales wrote:
On February 03 2021 20:45 Erasme wrote:
There was still a public human zoo in belgium in 1958.

I'm not sure how that connects to anything I said, but yes, there was.

Can't really say that europeans were above the concept of slavery when you could buy a zoo ticket to see how the "savages" lived in 1958.

Where did I say that? I said it was a "far far away" problem for most Europeans. Moreover, the "look how backwards these people are" thing isn't slavery. Slavery as such was abolished in 1958. That the Belgians behaved atrociously in Congo, and treated native Congolese appallingly, doesn't have much to do with slave trade. And in all honesty, things haven't improved much since the Belgium World Expo, 1958. There are still human zoos. They just happen to be "in situ" in Africa, SE Asia or South America now.

I feel like you're getting worked up over an imaginary issue. I simply stated that we cannot pretend that europeans were above slavery when you had humans zoo open until 1958. I do not disagree with you, quite the opposite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
February 03 2021 16:30 GMT
#61303
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 16:38:03
February 03 2021 16:31 GMT
#61304
American slavery was pretty uniquely awful in history, iirc, for a whole host of reasons (most other competitors for how awful it was involved european colonizers and a native population).

Most places with slavery before it didn't have it include the "passes on to children" part, and slavery was all over the place as to how good or bad it could be (varying from something like the current working middle class to something like prison conditions).

America also still practices slavery. It's in the 13th amendment as an acceptable punishment for crimes and a small handful of states use involuntary unpaid labor in their prisons. Last time I brought this up in the thread people said "but that isn't SLAVERY", no, that's exactly slavery. It just isn't as awful as the chattel slavery practiced pre Civil War.

(It's also somewhat pointless : it doesn't really save much money and the labor can obviously only be used on manual, very unskilled labor).

Most other states pay way below the minimum wage for prisoners which isn't much better (on the lines of .50 an hour and then some even charge the prisoners for items like tooth brushes).
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024

Biden being white is a big advantage he has over Obama here, in that no one will blindly back McConnell purely out of unconscious racism. (McConnell always complained that Obama lectured him).
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
February 03 2021 17:10 GMT
#61305
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10567 Posts
February 03 2021 17:11 GMT
#61306
McConnell's whole shtick just brings me back to Danglars whole "we must argue in good faith" while talking out of his ass 99% of the time.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
February 03 2021 17:18 GMT
#61307
On February 04 2021 02:11 FlaShFTW wrote:
McConnell's whole shtick just brings me back to Danglars whole "we must argue in good faith" while talking out of his ass 99% of the time.



Yes and that is the difference between weird role playing as if you're a senator running for re-election, or just having a conversation on an internet forum like a normal person. The people who argue like they are running for re-election are so weird. Its like dude nothing we say here matters, just be normal. "What you said is why people hate democrats" bro no one knows who mohdoo is and they shouldn't because I don't matter.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
February 03 2021 17:21 GMT
#61308
On February 04 2021 02:10 Zambrah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.


I think if they raise the minimum wage to $15 and covid is dealt with appropriately, 2022 is basically on lock. We won't lose the house if those 2 things happen.

For 2024, I would like to see Biden dump insane government money into funding green manufacturing in shitty states. All these states that manufactured old ass technology no one gives a shit about anymore, just build new factories that build new shit. Bunch of semiconductor fabs pumping out government subsidized solar panels sounds great to me.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19387 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 17:50:31
February 03 2021 17:49 GMT
#61309
On February 04 2021 02:21 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 02:10 Zambrah wrote:
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.


I think if they raise the minimum wage to $15 and covid is dealt with appropriately, 2022 is basically on lock. We won't lose the house if those 2 things happen.

For 2024, I would like to see Biden dump insane government money into funding green manufacturing in shitty states. All these states that manufactured old ass technology no one gives a shit about anymore, just build new factories that build new shit. Bunch of semiconductor fabs pumping out government subsidized solar panels sounds great to me.

The minimum wage increase in this bill would force me to vote R for the next President. I'm sorry, but it completely takes away the whole point of state and local government for the Federal government to completely overrule our already established plan to get to $15 an hour. I think there are more people like me and therefore 2022 would not be a lock because of that.

You can have literally any counter argument you want, nothing will convince me to go "Woah, the president was right to discard our wage bill passed in the same election as him." I'm being very tolerant and patient with him as president as long as it does not override our rights to govern within our state.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
February 03 2021 17:55 GMT
#61310
On February 04 2021 02:49 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 02:21 Mohdoo wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:10 Zambrah wrote:
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.


I think if they raise the minimum wage to $15 and covid is dealt with appropriately, 2022 is basically on lock. We won't lose the house if those 2 things happen.

For 2024, I would like to see Biden dump insane government money into funding green manufacturing in shitty states. All these states that manufactured old ass technology no one gives a shit about anymore, just build new factories that build new shit. Bunch of semiconductor fabs pumping out government subsidized solar panels sounds great to me.

The minimum wage increase in this bill would force me to vote R for the next President. I'm sorry, but it completely takes away the whole point of state and local government for the Federal government to completely overrule our already established plan to get to $15 an hour. I think there are more people like me and therefore 2022 would not be a lock because of that.

You can have literally any counter argument you want, nothing will convince me to go "Woah, the president was right to discard our wage bill passed in the same election as him." I'm being very tolerant and patient with him as president as long as it does not override our rights to govern within our state.


Sounds weirdly "you're not the boss of me". The federal government has decided many times to shit on state decisions. The federal government is king in many situations. States can't say no to war or plenty of other things.

As I see it, Florida decided on a timeline for $15 min wage. Federal government said it should happen faster. In some situations, states win, in other situations, feds win. Is it that you are against any forms of fed overruling state, or is it this specific policy?
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
February 03 2021 17:58 GMT
#61311
On February 04 2021 02:49 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 02:21 Mohdoo wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:10 Zambrah wrote:
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.


I think if they raise the minimum wage to $15 and covid is dealt with appropriately, 2022 is basically on lock. We won't lose the house if those 2 things happen.

For 2024, I would like to see Biden dump insane government money into funding green manufacturing in shitty states. All these states that manufactured old ass technology no one gives a shit about anymore, just build new factories that build new shit. Bunch of semiconductor fabs pumping out government subsidized solar panels sounds great to me.

The minimum wage increase in this bill would force me to vote R for the next President. I'm sorry, but it completely takes away the whole point of state and local government for the Federal government to completely overrule our already established plan to get to $15 an hour. I think there are more people like me and therefore 2022 would not be a lock because of that.

You can have literally any counter argument you want, nothing will convince me to go "Woah, the president was right to discard our wage bill passed in the same election as him." I'm being very tolerant and patient with him as president as long as it does not override our rights to govern within our state.
And what about the states that are not willing to increase the minimum wage?
Its great that there are a bunch of states who take this up on their own, but there are always a whole bunch who do not and have have to be dragged kicking and screaming forward.

Its a problem with 'state rights'. At what point does the federal government need to stop in when some states don't do things themselves?
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 18:12:49
February 03 2021 18:12 GMT
#61312
On February 04 2021 02:49 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 02:21 Mohdoo wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:10 Zambrah wrote:
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.


I think if they raise the minimum wage to $15 and covid is dealt with appropriately, 2022 is basically on lock. We won't lose the house if those 2 things happen.

For 2024, I would like to see Biden dump insane government money into funding green manufacturing in shitty states. All these states that manufactured old ass technology no one gives a shit about anymore, just build new factories that build new shit. Bunch of semiconductor fabs pumping out government subsidized solar panels sounds great to me.

The minimum wage increase in this bill would force me to vote R for the next President. I'm sorry, but it completely takes away the whole point of state and local government for the Federal government to completely overrule our already established plan to get to $15 an hour. I think there are more people like me and therefore 2022 would not be a lock because of that.

You can have literally any counter argument you want, nothing will convince me to go "Woah, the president was right to discard our wage bill passed in the same election as him." I'm being very tolerant and patient with him as president as long as it does not override our rights to govern within our state.

So is "do exactly what I want on this one issue or I'll vote for the people who think Hollywood gays are attacking Christian society" the socially liberal component of your political identity? How is this any different from a political version of "sorry you made me hit you, baby, just don't make me mad next time?"
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Artisreal
Profile Joined June 2009
Germany9235 Posts
February 03 2021 18:26 GMT
#61313
Lol @ bisudagger

I can understand your opposition to a policy matter.
Unless you are hyperbolic, you very much lost me when you don't even need to see the factual consequences of said policy to throw a tantrum and say "ok Go on without me". Moreover these are potential (!!!) Consequences which I'm certain you can as much predict as anyone here.

I find this position so incredibly untenable it's almost comical.
passive quaranstream fan
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 18:37:09
February 03 2021 18:36 GMT
#61314
15$ minimum wage when it was first proposed was pretty absurd, but it's now only a little bit higher than the highest minimum wage in US history. (It was ~11.55 in 2018 dollars in 1968, and it's been falling from ~10 in 2018 dollars since 1979, per this cnn article https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/business/us-minimum-wage-by-year/index.html ).

The states/local rights on wages, conservatives blew that one up themselves. It doesn't work due to their own hypocrisy.

The thing is that when localities have proposed raising their minimum wage to 15$ in a red state, the state themselves has blocked their raises. It's true that 15$ is too high for a lot of places, especially rural ones (I've seen arguments that 12$ is the proper number instead for this reason). The issue is that when an attempt was made to do this on the local level, conservatives blocked it.

If conservatives had operated in good faith then this wouldn't still be relevant at all and cities would have raised their wages and it wouldn't have affected rural areas.

It's not that conservatives want it decided on the local level, it's that they want to pay poor people less money.

DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46480 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 18:48:01
February 03 2021 18:42 GMT
#61315
On February 04 2021 02:58 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 02:49 BisuDagger wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:21 Mohdoo wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:10 Zambrah wrote:
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.


I think if they raise the minimum wage to $15 and covid is dealt with appropriately, 2022 is basically on lock. We won't lose the house if those 2 things happen.

For 2024, I would like to see Biden dump insane government money into funding green manufacturing in shitty states. All these states that manufactured old ass technology no one gives a shit about anymore, just build new factories that build new shit. Bunch of semiconductor fabs pumping out government subsidized solar panels sounds great to me.

The minimum wage increase in this bill would force me to vote R for the next President. I'm sorry, but it completely takes away the whole point of state and local government for the Federal government to completely overrule our already established plan to get to $15 an hour. I think there are more people like me and therefore 2022 would not be a lock because of that.

You can have literally any counter argument you want, nothing will convince me to go "Woah, the president was right to discard our wage bill passed in the same election as him." I'm being very tolerant and patient with him as president as long as it does not override our rights to govern within our state.
And what about the states that are not willing to increase the minimum wage?
Its great that there are a bunch of states who take this up on their own, but there are always a whole bunch who do not and have have to be dragged kicking and screaming forward.

Its a problem with 'state rights'. At what point does the federal government need to stop in when some states don't do things themselves?


I'm also curious about this. After all, states' rights aren't automatically, inherently, definitionally preferable to federal rights. There is nothing implicit within each state deciding at their own pace that makes it necessarily better than a national law coming into effect. And the reason why this is true is because some decisions are just plain beneficial for people (e.g., civil rights), and so any states that necessarily lag behind will be doing a disservice to their states' constituents. Sometimes that drawback doesn't happen, although that's generally only when the national policy hurts people, rather than helps them (and so the states who would have preferred to wait longer to implement their state policy would have been able to possibly prevent damage to themselves, by first seeing the damage in other states that voluntarily took the lead on transitioning to the new, harmful policy).

But BisuDagger's issue doesn't seem to be with the specific policy of a $15 minimum wage (i.e., the argument that increasing the minimum wage would be a net negative, rather than a net positive)... rather, BD's issue seems to be with the fact that the federal government is rolling this out en masse, rather than allowing states to enforce it whenever they see fit. If one agrees that increasing the minimum wage is going to provide more benefits than drawbacks, then it's necessarily the case that any state that chooses to lag behind (from a states' rights perspective) will necessarily be hurting their citizens by not helping them as soon as possible.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
February 03 2021 18:46 GMT
#61316
On February 04 2021 02:49 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 02:21 Mohdoo wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:10 Zambrah wrote:
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.


I think if they raise the minimum wage to $15 and covid is dealt with appropriately, 2022 is basically on lock. We won't lose the house if those 2 things happen.

For 2024, I would like to see Biden dump insane government money into funding green manufacturing in shitty states. All these states that manufactured old ass technology no one gives a shit about anymore, just build new factories that build new shit. Bunch of semiconductor fabs pumping out government subsidized solar panels sounds great to me.

The minimum wage increase in this bill would force me to vote R for the next President. I'm sorry, but it completely takes away the whole point of state and local government for the Federal government to completely overrule our already established plan to get to $15 an hour. I think there are more people like me and therefore 2022 would not be a lock because of that.

You can have literally any counter argument you want, nothing will convince me to go "Woah, the president was right to discard our wage bill passed in the same election as him." I'm being very tolerant and patient with him as president as long as it does not override our rights to govern within our state.

Like many other posters, I don't understand your issue. Your state wanted to up it to 15$ an hour with your benediction. Then Biden thought 'damn great plan, lets do that everywhere', and that's where he lost you ? Is it just a "you don't get to tell me what to do" issue or what ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 19:04:53
February 03 2021 19:04 GMT
#61317
I understood his issue to be that he's happy with the timeline Florida is doing it at, but he doesn't like the timeline the Biden admin wants to aim for, and he dislikes that they are trying to overrule the Florida timeline, specifically because he thinks the Biden timeline is so quick that what he perceives as a positive policy will end up having negative consequences.

I think it seems like a weird single issue of a hill to die on, but oh well.
Moderator
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
February 03 2021 19:08 GMT
#61318
Are there any precedents for those negative consequences ? Aka was there a time where raising the minimum wage for an industry effectively killed it ? Or had negative repercussions on the economy ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-02-03 19:13:03
February 03 2021 19:09 GMT
#61319
On February 04 2021 03:42 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2021 02:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:49 BisuDagger wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:21 Mohdoo wrote:
On February 04 2021 02:10 Zambrah wrote:
On February 04 2021 01:30 Mohdoo wrote:
I am glad McConnell is making a fuss about budget reconciliation, literally the exact same strategy he used. Republican arguments have never been good faith, but everything during Trump’s blemish on American history made it so much more clear. Biden and the democrats don’t have nearly the pressure to “reach across the aisle” as they did during Obama’s presidency. If they push this package through, I’ll have faith in democrats again. Limited and conditional faith, but at the core, democrats need to be willing to act like they won and use their power. Trump showed Americans his vision. People want to see and feel vision and leadership. If Biden and Democrats do the same thing, I think they can win again in 2022 and 2024


So very amen. I am desperate to see a Democrat Senate flex some muscle and prove that not only are they willing to govern, but that their version of governance is actively good. Not just not-the-Republicans, but actively good. So far I am cautiously on the precipice of mild optimism, and I hope that we see stuff get done ASAP. In the best case scenario I dunno if Im confident they hold in 2024 or 2022, but I think their best chances are going to be done off the back of aggressive policy that makes an effort to reach out to the majority of Americans in tangible ways.

Heres to hoping.


I think if they raise the minimum wage to $15 and covid is dealt with appropriately, 2022 is basically on lock. We won't lose the house if those 2 things happen.

For 2024, I would like to see Biden dump insane government money into funding green manufacturing in shitty states. All these states that manufactured old ass technology no one gives a shit about anymore, just build new factories that build new shit. Bunch of semiconductor fabs pumping out government subsidized solar panels sounds great to me.

The minimum wage increase in this bill would force me to vote R for the next President. I'm sorry, but it completely takes away the whole point of state and local government for the Federal government to completely overrule our already established plan to get to $15 an hour. I think there are more people like me and therefore 2022 would not be a lock because of that.

You can have literally any counter argument you want, nothing will convince me to go "Woah, the president was right to discard our wage bill passed in the same election as him." I'm being very tolerant and patient with him as president as long as it does not override our rights to govern within our state.
And what about the states that are not willing to increase the minimum wage?
Its great that there are a bunch of states who take this up on their own, but there are always a whole bunch who do not and have have to be dragged kicking and screaming forward.

Its a problem with 'state rights'. At what point does the federal government need to stop in when some states don't do things themselves?


I'm also curious about this. After all, states' rights aren't automatically, inherently, definitionally preferable to federal rights. There is nothing implicit within each state deciding at their own pace that makes it necessarily better than a national law coming into effect. And the reason why this is true is because some decisions are just plain beneficial for people (e.g., civil rights), and so any states that necessarily lag behind will be doing a disservice to their states' constituents. Sometimes that drawback doesn't happen, although that's generally only when the national policy hurts people, rather than helps them (and so the states who would have preferred to wait longer to implement their state policy would have been able to possibly prevent damage to themselves, by first seeing the damage in other states that voluntarily took the lead on transitioning to the new, harmful policy).

But BisuDagger's issue doesn't seem to be with the specific policy of a $15 minimum wage (i.e., the argument that increasing the minimum wage would be a net negative, rather than a net positive)... rather, BD's issue seems to be with the fact that the federal government is rolling this out en masse, rather than allowing states to enforce it whenever they see fit. If one agrees that increasing the minimum wage is going to provide more benefits than drawbacks, then it's necessarily the case that any state that chooses to lag behind (from a states' rights perspective) will necessarily be hurting their citizens by not helping them as soon as possible.


It seems pretty trivial to have the federal government mandate that states should have a plan to increase the minimum wage to $15 in this case. Florida already has one so they can keep what they voted for exactly as BisuDagger wants. The federal government can create a standard that states can adopt if they don't want to develop their own.

This has its own issues though like RealID and getting states to stop mucking around for decade+
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
February 03 2021 19:27 GMT
#61320
On February 04 2021 04:08 Erasme wrote:
Are there any precedents for those negative consequences ? Aka was there a time where raising the minimum wage for an industry effectively killed it ? Or had negative repercussions on the economy ?


There are lots of instances you can point to where garbage business owners who basically thought "I am boot strapz!!!11" and had some shitty ass idea to make a shitty ass "small business", did a terrible job and basically couldn't afford to pay their employees. This is common. Many small business owners are profoundly bad at what they do. Many can't survive even with the existing minimum wage.

A friend of mine instituted a $15 minimum wage at his car dealership about 4 years ago. He said "If you can't afford to pay your receptionist $15/hour, you are probably a terrible businessman".

Since many businesses die from $8 min wage, better business owners die off at $10, then even better ones at $12, $14, $20, $25.

If the minimum wage was $1, we would get tons of new jobs. Those new jobs would be similar to our current situation. Because people aren't paid enough by their employers, they go into debt, can't afford healthcare and a variety of things happen that make their situation even worse, relying on government aid and many other things. So even if the minimum wage was $1, the benefits from "having more jobs" isn't real because those wages aren't enough to support someone. This is why the argument is a false narrative. The country having more $5/hr jobs is not the same as the country supporting more people.
Prev 1 3064 3065 3066 3067 3068 5993 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1163
SteadfastSC784
ComeBackTV 784
TaKeTV 548
IndyStarCraft 231
Rex131
EnkiAlexander 81
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 784
IndyStarCraft 231
ProTech135
Rex 131
BRAT_OK 45
UpATreeSC 33
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40725
Shuttle 788
Mini 390
Larva 360
Rush 351
Dewaltoss 110
Hyuk 85
firebathero 82
Mong 72
Trap 44
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 30
Sexy 28
Bale 19
Rock 18
Shine 16
Sacsri 12
Terrorterran 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9573
qojqva1769
Counter-Strike
fl0m1438
Fnx 805
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1581
Khaldor1249
Other Games
hiko1335
FrodaN1294
Beastyqt347
DeMusliM259
ArmadaUGS217
XBOCT215
Mlord137
KnowMe131
C9.Mang0104
XaKoH 101
QueenE85
Mew2King74
CosmosSc2 12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV234
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream65
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH310
• poizon28 39
• StrangeGG 35
• Hinosc 21
• Kozan
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• Michael_bg 5
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3710
Other Games
• imaqtpie408
• Shiphtur328
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 42m
CranKy Ducklings
16h 42m
Online Event
17h 42m
FEL
22h 42m
AI Arena Tournament
23h 42m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.