• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:27
CEST 18:27
KST 01:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9478 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 2032

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 5996 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
January 16 2020 00:06 GMT
#40621
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:17 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:03 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:43 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:41 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:33 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:28 Gorsameth wrote:
[quote]They don't have to insulate themselves from the consequences. They just don't have to give a shit, or less shit then they give about losing 20% of their pay (random ass number) for the company to become green.

People are really good at ignoring negative consequences that are not directly apparent, and by the time we see direct consequences of climate change, beyond "oh this year is a little hotter then the previous one" it will be way way to late.


Which do you think is more likely, that 50% of the workers of a company that are not insulated collectively decide not to give a shit, or that a board of CEOs that are insulated decide not to give a shit? Sounds fairly clear cut to me, do you disagree? I'd love to see why.
I will confidently say neither of them will give enough of a shit.
Which again goes back to what Belisarius said.
And there is zero evidence that once they do the people make decisions collectively that are better for the environment and not to make their own lifestyles more comfortable
So far your answer still is 'magic'.

Walk up to 100 average Joes and ask them how much salary and living comfort they will give up to save the environment. The answer will be "not enough".


Well then we're going to die, which I also believe is the most likely outcome. Is that an issue for you?

On January 16 2020 05:14 Nebuchad wrote:
Well yeah, it's likely that humanity is screwed. We realize that. Doesn't mean we just stop fighting in my book.
Not particularly, I resigned myself to the fact that humanity as a whole isn't going to do enough a while ago. And yes I am aware that is a rather pessimistic outlook.

Nor do I think you shouldn't stop fighting. But you should realise that people aren't just going to jump aboard of whatever idea you come up with.


I should have mentioned that I don't want you to jump aboard my ideas, I want us to come together and figure out better ideas together once we have acknowledged that the ideas we have currently aren't working.

It's a pretty massive failure of me to never have mentioned that before on the forum, I realize that if I had people would stop saying this to me.
My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.

Why would that help? Within the current framework all such technology is being utilised into more efficiently converting people into being good little consumers.
Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
January 16 2020 00:10 GMT
#40622
On January 16 2020 09:06 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:17 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:03 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:43 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:41 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:33 Nebuchad wrote:
[quote]

Which do you think is more likely, that 50% of the workers of a company that are not insulated collectively decide not to give a shit, or that a board of CEOs that are insulated decide not to give a shit? Sounds fairly clear cut to me, do you disagree? I'd love to see why.
I will confidently say neither of them will give enough of a shit.
Which again goes back to what Belisarius said.
And there is zero evidence that once they do the people make decisions collectively that are better for the environment and not to make their own lifestyles more comfortable
So far your answer still is 'magic'.

Walk up to 100 average Joes and ask them how much salary and living comfort they will give up to save the environment. The answer will be "not enough".


Well then we're going to die, which I also believe is the most likely outcome. Is that an issue for you?

On January 16 2020 05:14 Nebuchad wrote:
Well yeah, it's likely that humanity is screwed. We realize that. Doesn't mean we just stop fighting in my book.
Not particularly, I resigned myself to the fact that humanity as a whole isn't going to do enough a while ago. And yes I am aware that is a rather pessimistic outlook.

Nor do I think you shouldn't stop fighting. But you should realise that people aren't just going to jump aboard of whatever idea you come up with.


I should have mentioned that I don't want you to jump aboard my ideas, I want us to come together and figure out better ideas together once we have acknowledged that the ideas we have currently aren't working.

It's a pretty massive failure of me to never have mentioned that before on the forum, I realize that if I had people would stop saying this to me.
My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.

Why would that help? Within the current framework all such technology is being utilised into more efficiently converting people into being good little consumers.
Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.

What makes humans happy and content?

Very few people I have ever met will answer ‘having more stuff than other people’, but yet our economic system is predicated on that.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
January 16 2020 00:12 GMT
#40623
On January 16 2020 09:06 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:17 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:03 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:43 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:41 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:33 Nebuchad wrote:
[quote]

Which do you think is more likely, that 50% of the workers of a company that are not insulated collectively decide not to give a shit, or that a board of CEOs that are insulated decide not to give a shit? Sounds fairly clear cut to me, do you disagree? I'd love to see why.
I will confidently say neither of them will give enough of a shit.
Which again goes back to what Belisarius said.
And there is zero evidence that once they do the people make decisions collectively that are better for the environment and not to make their own lifestyles more comfortable
So far your answer still is 'magic'.

Walk up to 100 average Joes and ask them how much salary and living comfort they will give up to save the environment. The answer will be "not enough".


Well then we're going to die, which I also believe is the most likely outcome. Is that an issue for you?

On January 16 2020 05:14 Nebuchad wrote:
Well yeah, it's likely that humanity is screwed. We realize that. Doesn't mean we just stop fighting in my book.
Not particularly, I resigned myself to the fact that humanity as a whole isn't going to do enough a while ago. And yes I am aware that is a rather pessimistic outlook.

Nor do I think you shouldn't stop fighting. But you should realise that people aren't just going to jump aboard of whatever idea you come up with.


I should have mentioned that I don't want you to jump aboard my ideas, I want us to come together and figure out better ideas together once we have acknowledged that the ideas we have currently aren't working.

It's a pretty massive failure of me to never have mentioned that before on the forum, I realize that if I had people would stop saying this to me.
My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.

Why would that help? Within the current framework all such technology is being utilised into more efficiently converting people into being good little consumers.
Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.


So is it your opinion of what we should do or is it not? You just offered an opinion, then said that it wouldn't really help but [dumb shot at Neb], and now you're back to saying it's your opinion.
No will to live, no wish to die
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
January 16 2020 00:13 GMT
#40624
On January 16 2020 09:10 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 09:06 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:17 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:03 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:43 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:41 Gorsameth wrote:
[quote]I will confidently say neither of them will give enough of a shit.
Which again goes back to what Belisarius said.[quote]So far your answer still is 'magic'.

Walk up to 100 average Joes and ask them how much salary and living comfort they will give up to save the environment. The answer will be "not enough".


Well then we're going to die, which I also believe is the most likely outcome. Is that an issue for you?

On January 16 2020 05:14 Nebuchad wrote:
Well yeah, it's likely that humanity is screwed. We realize that. Doesn't mean we just stop fighting in my book.
Not particularly, I resigned myself to the fact that humanity as a whole isn't going to do enough a while ago. And yes I am aware that is a rather pessimistic outlook.

Nor do I think you shouldn't stop fighting. But you should realise that people aren't just going to jump aboard of whatever idea you come up with.


I should have mentioned that I don't want you to jump aboard my ideas, I want us to come together and figure out better ideas together once we have acknowledged that the ideas we have currently aren't working.

It's a pretty massive failure of me to never have mentioned that before on the forum, I realize that if I had people would stop saying this to me.
My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.

Why would that help? Within the current framework all such technology is being utilised into more efficiently converting people into being good little consumers.
Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.

What makes humans happy and content?

Very few people I have ever met will answer ‘having more stuff than other people’, but yet our economic system is predicated on that.
That's an entire different topic from climate change.
Look I'm not a fan of capitalism as an economic system, its shit and full of flaws. But it happens to work better then everything else we tried, it however requires restraints.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
January 16 2020 00:14 GMT
#40625
--- Nuked ---
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
January 16 2020 00:21 GMT
#40626
On January 16 2020 09:13 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 09:10 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:06 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:17 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:03 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:43 Nebuchad wrote:
[quote]

Well then we're going to die, which I also believe is the most likely outcome. Is that an issue for you?

[quote]
Not particularly, I resigned myself to the fact that humanity as a whole isn't going to do enough a while ago. And yes I am aware that is a rather pessimistic outlook.

Nor do I think you shouldn't stop fighting. But you should realise that people aren't just going to jump aboard of whatever idea you come up with.


I should have mentioned that I don't want you to jump aboard my ideas, I want us to come together and figure out better ideas together once we have acknowledged that the ideas we have currently aren't working.

It's a pretty massive failure of me to never have mentioned that before on the forum, I realize that if I had people would stop saying this to me.
My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.

Why would that help? Within the current framework all such technology is being utilised into more efficiently converting people into being good little consumers.
Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.

What makes humans happy and content?

Very few people I have ever met will answer ‘having more stuff than other people’, but yet our economic system is predicated on that.
That's an entire different topic from climate change.
Look I'm not a fan of capitalism as an economic system, its shit and full of flaws. But it happens to work better then everything else we tried, it however requires restraints.

It isn’t at all. If people don’t judge their worth based on needless crap they buy, then there’s a pretty big environment bonus.

It’s a cultural shift that is needed, not imposed restraints from above, regardless of the overarching system employed.

What does it work better than in actually doing? Encouraging needless expenditure, encouraging feelings of inadequacy in the population?
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
January 16 2020 00:23 GMT
#40627
--- Nuked ---
Artisreal
Profile Joined June 2009
Germany9235 Posts
January 16 2020 00:23 GMT
#40628
On January 16 2020 09:13 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 09:10 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:06 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:17 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:03 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:43 Nebuchad wrote:
[quote]

Well then we're going to die, which I also believe is the most likely outcome. Is that an issue for you?

[quote]
Not particularly, I resigned myself to the fact that humanity as a whole isn't going to do enough a while ago. And yes I am aware that is a rather pessimistic outlook.

Nor do I think you shouldn't stop fighting. But you should realise that people aren't just going to jump aboard of whatever idea you come up with.


I should have mentioned that I don't want you to jump aboard my ideas, I want us to come together and figure out better ideas together once we have acknowledged that the ideas we have currently aren't working.

It's a pretty massive failure of me to never have mentioned that before on the forum, I realize that if I had people would stop saying this to me.
My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.

Why would that help? Within the current framework all such technology is being utilised into more efficiently converting people into being good little consumers.
Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.

What makes humans happy and content?

Very few people I have ever met will answer ‘having more stuff than other people’, but yet our economic system is predicated on that.
That's an entire different topic from climate change.
Look I'm not a fan of capitalism as an economic system, its shit and full of flaws. But it happens to work better then everything else we tried, it however requires restraints.

A very rough rundown could be:

1) consumerism
2) people unhappy
3) people buy more to feel happy
4) climate change
5) climate anxiety
6) people more unhappy.

happiness, consumerism, disregard for nature and other people, how we treat each other, it's all connected.
passive quaranstream fan
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
January 16 2020 00:28 GMT
#40629
On January 16 2020 09:23 Artisreal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 09:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:10 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:06 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:17 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:03 Gorsameth wrote:
[quote]Not particularly, I resigned myself to the fact that humanity as a whole isn't going to do enough a while ago. And yes I am aware that is a rather pessimistic outlook.

Nor do I think you shouldn't stop fighting. But you should realise that people aren't just going to jump aboard of whatever idea you come up with.


I should have mentioned that I don't want you to jump aboard my ideas, I want us to come together and figure out better ideas together once we have acknowledged that the ideas we have currently aren't working.

It's a pretty massive failure of me to never have mentioned that before on the forum, I realize that if I had people would stop saying this to me.
My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.

Why would that help? Within the current framework all such technology is being utilised into more efficiently converting people into being good little consumers.
Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.

What makes humans happy and content?

Very few people I have ever met will answer ‘having more stuff than other people’, but yet our economic system is predicated on that.
That's an entire different topic from climate change.
Look I'm not a fan of capitalism as an economic system, its shit and full of flaws. But it happens to work better then everything else we tried, it however requires restraints.

A very rough rundown could be:

1) consumerism
2) people unhappy
3) people buy more to feel happy
4) climate change
5) climate anxiety
6) people more unhappy.

happiness, consumerism, disregard for nature and other people, how we treat each other, it's all connected.

Just how capitalism works.

Be decently attractive person, be bombarded by advertisements saying you’re defective and need their products to be attractive. Develop complexes.

The whole system trades off inadequacy, real or believed.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-01-16 00:33:05
January 16 2020 00:31 GMT
#40630
--- Nuked ---
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
January 16 2020 00:40 GMT
#40631
On January 16 2020 09:31 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 09:28 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:23 Artisreal wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:10 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:06 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:50 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
[quote]My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.

Why would that help? Within the current framework all such technology is being utilised into more efficiently converting people into being good little consumers.
Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.

What makes humans happy and content?

Very few people I have ever met will answer ‘having more stuff than other people’, but yet our economic system is predicated on that.
That's an entire different topic from climate change.
Look I'm not a fan of capitalism as an economic system, its shit and full of flaws. But it happens to work better then everything else we tried, it however requires restraints.

A very rough rundown could be:

1) consumerism
2) people unhappy
3) people buy more to feel happy
4) climate change
5) climate anxiety
6) people more unhappy.

happiness, consumerism, disregard for nature and other people, how we treat each other, it's all connected.

Just how capitalism works.

Be decently attractive person, be bombarded by advertisements saying you’re defective and need their products to be attractive. Develop complexes.

The whole system trades off inadequacy, real or believed.


This reminds me of how to actually deal with addiction.

I apologize for the source being tucker Carlson but h barely talks. They go through how the opposite of addiction is not sobriety but rather it is connection. For those of you that prefer entertaining cartoons to talk I’ll add that shortly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpvjH9cVJDI

Edit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C8AHODc6phg

I actually largely agree with his points I just disagree that they’re ringfenced as solutions to the problems of addicts rather than general good practice.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
January 16 2020 00:45 GMT
#40632
--- Nuked ---
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
January 16 2020 00:46 GMT
#40633
On January 16 2020 09:45 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 09:40 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:31 JimmiC wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:28 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:23 Artisreal wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:10 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:06 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 09:01 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:58 Gorsameth wrote:
[quote]Through Magic mostly, didn't say it was a great shot. But I'm also not trying to convince people its the right way to go on the internet.


So what was the point of bringing it up?
Sorry, thought you wanted idea's so I gave my opinion, your free to ignore it.

What makes humans happy and content?

Very few people I have ever met will answer ‘having more stuff than other people’, but yet our economic system is predicated on that.
That's an entire different topic from climate change.
Look I'm not a fan of capitalism as an economic system, its shit and full of flaws. But it happens to work better then everything else we tried, it however requires restraints.

A very rough rundown could be:

1) consumerism
2) people unhappy
3) people buy more to feel happy
4) climate change
5) climate anxiety
6) people more unhappy.

happiness, consumerism, disregard for nature and other people, how we treat each other, it's all connected.

Just how capitalism works.

Be decently attractive person, be bombarded by advertisements saying you’re defective and need their products to be attractive. Develop complexes.

The whole system trades off inadequacy, real or believed.


This reminds me of how to actually deal with addiction.

I apologize for the source being tucker Carlson but h barely talks. They go through how the opposite of addiction is not sobriety but rather it is connection. For those of you that prefer entertaining cartoons to talk I’ll add that shortly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpvjH9cVJDI

Edit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C8AHODc6phg

I actually largely agree with his points I just disagree that they’re ringfenced as solutions to the problems of addicts rather than general good practice.

Yes deep positive connections would help with a whole host of other societal and human problems. It is just very hard for us to get out of the punish and scare strategy.

Is it that difficult if that’s your end goal?
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
January 16 2020 00:48 GMT
#40634
On January 16 2020 08:47 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2020 08:17 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 08:03 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:43 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:41 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:33 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:28 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:21 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 16 2020 07:15 Gorsameth wrote:
On January 16 2020 06:59 Nebuchad wrote:
[quote]

No problem, thanks for asking. There are two main drivers of climate change, it's emissions by the more developped countries and emissions by the industry. Industry is responsible for most of the emissions of course but there's also a more individualistic element in that our way of life produces a level of emissions that is not really sustainable long term.

The issue that capitalism has in dealing with this is that because it allocates too much power to the specific people who run the industries, the capitalist class, it is ill-equipped to activate change in those. So instead we observe what we have seen in the world today: people should take personal responsibility and change their lives according to climate, we should stop having vacations, we should stop using cars, we should pee in the shower.

This is something but it's not enough because of the dual nature of the problem we face. We see that capitalism is "decent" at demanding that people change their lifestyles, it can use propaganda, it can tax them if they behave poorly, that sort of thing. We also see that capitalism is atrocious at demanding that industry changes, because of the amount of power allocated to the bosses of industry, and because of the profit motive that causes every change to be adopted reluctantly.

Therefore a logical step to make is to increase the power that we have over industry. We can do that using social democracy and have the government regulate the businesses so that they are forced to be more ecofriendly. That has issues, but either way it's the only realistic step that we have so let's do that.

The reluctance that will be shown by industry and the general issues of corruption and propaganda will make it so that it's not enough though. It isn't realistic to expect that the capitalist class won't fight back. Corruption will be more profitable than respecting their limits, so they will corrupt the controllers. All the change that we see will be done reluctantly, thus basically ensuring that it isn't bold enough to lead us to where we need to be. And they will still hold more power on society than the rest of us do, which means they will be in prime position to influence politics and make the discourse drift right again in the near future even if we manage to win right now.

That's why we shouldn't stop there, logically, in an ecologic framework. Luckily not stopping there is also a good thing in general, so it's not a problem that we have to continue.
You didn't address his point tho.
And there is zero evidence that once they do the people make decisions collectively that are better for the environment and not to make their own lifestyles more comfortable

If you change up who owns the industry then they become the class of people who fight against climate change regulations because they now control the industry. By changing ownership from a couple of rich people to a lot of 'poor' people your just increasing the number of people you are fighting and not reducing their power at all, they still control the industry.


It's somewhat easy for a few rich people to insulate themselves from the consequences of climate change. It's a lot harder for the entirety of the workers of a company to do so. So no, I don't think that a democratic worker force would make the same decisions than a single CEO would, in fact I think that's pretty ludicrous to believe.

It's not just that, it would also be harder for them to promote actively lying to the people for personal benefit, as the whole enterprise would have to agree to do that. So we wouldn't see as much propaganda and in consequence, not as much climate change or overall science denial.

You are underestimating the dynamic of an elite vs a people. Replacing the elites with the people doesn't just make the people the elite. They're still the people.
They don't have to insulate themselves from the consequences. They just don't have to give a shit, or less shit then they give about losing 20% of their pay (random ass number) for the company to become green.

People are really good at ignoring negative consequences that are not directly apparent, and by the time we see direct consequences of climate change, beyond "oh this year is a little hotter then the previous one" it will be way way to late.


Which do you think is more likely, that 50% of the workers of a company that are not insulated collectively decide not to give a shit, or that a board of CEOs that are insulated decide not to give a shit? Sounds fairly clear cut to me, do you disagree? I'd love to see why.
I will confidently say neither of them will give enough of a shit.
Which again goes back to what Belisarius said.
And there is zero evidence that once they do the people make decisions collectively that are better for the environment and not to make their own lifestyles more comfortable
So far your answer still is 'magic'.

Walk up to 100 average Joes and ask them how much salary and living comfort they will give up to save the environment. The answer will be "not enough".


Well then we're going to die, which I also believe is the most likely outcome. Is that an issue for you?

On January 16 2020 05:14 Nebuchad wrote:
Well yeah, it's likely that humanity is screwed. We realize that. Doesn't mean we just stop fighting in my book.
Not particularly, I resigned myself to the fact that humanity as a whole isn't going to do enough a while ago. And yes I am aware that is a rather pessimistic outlook.

Nor do I think you shouldn't stop fighting. But you should realise that people aren't just going to jump aboard of whatever idea you come up with.


I should have mentioned that I don't want you to jump aboard my ideas, I want us to come together and figure out better ideas together once we have acknowledged that the ideas we have currently aren't working.

It's a pretty massive failure of me to never have mentioned that before on the forum, I realize that if I had people would stop saying this to me.
My belief is that humanity is the fundamental issue with the problems facing humanity. Hopefully we survive long enough to develop advanced enough AI to take over the task of making important decisions for us.


You can imagine a situation wherein AI distribution of certain goods and services is better than the market. Basically sidestepping Hayek's main criticisms of socialism.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-01-16 01:00:55
January 16 2020 00:57 GMT
#40635
--- Nuked ---
Emnjay808
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States10666 Posts
January 16 2020 01:15 GMT
#40636
If I’m an 18-year old, voting for the first time (with no deep knowledge of lobbying bias and party affiliation). Who am I supposed to vote for, if not Trump.
Skol
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
January 16 2020 01:18 GMT
#40637
On January 16 2020 10:15 Emnjay808 wrote:
If I’m an 18-year old, voting for the first time (with no deep knowledge of lobbying bias and party affiliation). Who am I supposed to vote for, if not Trump.

Somebody who isn’t Trump?

Personal opinions aside having zero knowledge of your political leanings I’m not sure how I, or anyone else can answer that question.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Emnjay808
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States10666 Posts
January 16 2020 01:22 GMT
#40638
No deep knowledge =\= zero knowledge.

Basically ,in theory, the person would only know what they would see on national TV or Twitter.
Skol
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
January 16 2020 01:30 GMT
#40639
--- Nuked ---
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
January 16 2020 01:32 GMT
#40640
On January 16 2020 10:22 Emnjay808 wrote:
No deep knowledge =\= zero knowledge.

Basically ,in theory, the person would only know what they would see on national TV or Twitter.

I don’t think you need much knowledge from the outside to vote against Trump, but again entirely depends on your political sensibilities to begin with.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 5996 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech150
UpATreeSC 105
BRAT_OK 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4265
Bisu 1848
Soulkey 1459
EffOrt 924
Mini 671
Larva 401
Horang2 375
ZerO 350
actioN 204
ggaemo 175
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 122
Yoon 115
Shinee 101
Mind 94
hero 76
Sharp 70
sorry 61
Snow 51
Barracks 45
Hyun 39
Bale 29
Trap 27
ToSsGirL 22
Terrorterran 21
NaDa 17
Rock 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5710
Dendi1324
420jenkins284
XaKoH 140
League of Legends
Reynor72
Counter-Strike
fl0m3555
Fnx 684
x6flipin638
pashabiceps54
edward27
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes380
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1374
hiko981
FrodaN435
B2W.Neo395
Liquid`VortiX218
XBOCT200
Livibee173
QueenE108
TKL 82
Mew2King46
ZerO(Twitch)19
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV169
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 38
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV649
League of Legends
• Nemesis3458
• TFBlade787
Other Games
• Shiphtur488
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 33m
Patches Events
23h 33m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.