• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:24
CEST 11:24
KST 18:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9742 users

The Parti Quebecois. - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16 17 Next All
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-19 04:39:14
January 19 2013 04:36 GMT
#81
On January 19 2013 13:33 Grimmyman123 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2013 08:50 Djzapz wrote:
On January 19 2013 07:57 Abraxas514 wrote:
On January 19 2013 06:44 RavenLoud wrote:

"Treason to the crown" HAHAHAHA


What with all the moronic laughing? In Canada we refer to our federal government as "the crown". We have a picture of the queen on our money (monstly coins). You make yourself look really dumb by laughing at that.

There are so many things that are wrong with that, I don't know why you people insist on defending your ridiculous BS.

In Canada we don't refer to our federal government as "the crown" Abraxas514, nobody ever does that. We refer to the Monarchy of Canada as "the crown", not the entire government. As I'm sure you know, the Queen of Canada (more commonly known as the Queen of the UK) is the head of State of our country, but that's only by law.

To use that particular terminology "Treason to the Crown" is ridiculous for two reasons
First: To betray the monarchy of Canada is a ridiculous concept. Fuck the Queen and everything she represents in our country. An outdated monarchy has no place in a modern democracy. Canada needs to get rid of that fluff. Legal reforms are required. Technical but impractical laws don't apply in real life and should therefore be purged from common language. Progress, please. Let's not sit back on our rotting constitution.
Second: The definition of the word "treason". Maybe you're using a convenient one, that is poorly worded. Being technically unpatriotic is not treason though, and any honest person knows that. You may not be honest.

You think being ridiculed is bad, but you deserved it. Some "arguments" are so bad that they deserve nothing more than to be laughed at. I was nice enough to give you a little rundown but don't butcher the English language by using the word treason like that again. People do the same thing with the word terrorist so much that it loses its value.

On January 19 2013 08:07 Grimmyman123 wrote:
On January 19 2013 06:44 RavenLoud wrote:
Being a first year student at McGill, the cuts to the university fundings makes me absolutely furious. There also has been price increase for tabacco products but that doesn't bother me that much since I don't smoke. I'm still more confident about PQ's ability to get the debt under control compared to the PLQ but removing funding to universities is simply stupid.

I have to say that this attitude of "PQ being environmentalist leftist isolationalist" isn't really that accurate. In fact, Marois has indicated that she is open to talk about the construction of a pipeline from Alberta to Quebec despite the local unpopularity of such act. (Meanwhile, BC and Alberta continue to wrestle on similar issues..)

EDIT: As immigrants, I have absolute confidence in saying that I'd get less discrimination in Quebec than most of the rest of the world, even in developed countries. In fact, my grandma who came to visit us from Asia without speaking a single word of French once said that Quebecers/Canadians are probably the nicest people on Earth. (Don't know about that, but compared to mainland China where she lives, I think that's understandable lol). She was amazed by the fact that random people would open doors for her, help her with bags and even give change to her when she shops because she didn't understand the money that well at first.


"Treason to the crown" HAHAHAHA


Yes, treason to the crown. You are a university student, yes?

As for Quebecers being polite - I contest that, I've been treated horribly in quebec simply because my french was not satisfactory, many times.

Sorry, this topic infuriates me so. I'm done.

No not treason to the crown . Not signing a constitution but adhering to it is not treason. I gave a quick crash course above. This is a province which democratically agreed to live under a constitution in which it did not agree in the name of democracy. It's in opposition to it, but agrees with it regardless. If you ask me, it takes a fair amount of patriotism in a nation to accept this, even if you might say a true patriot would bend over and take it in the ass for your majesty Elizabeth. We've still got our minds and that's okay.

I'm sorry you had bad experiences in QC, we have our fair share of bad apples, but most of us are fine folks who look down on the behavior of the trash that roams some of our streets. I want to say that when I was in Banff for less than I week, I had bad experiences with anglophones twice. They didn't like me speaking French with my friends, they didn't like my accent... Yet most of the people I encountered were great, and it's a shame that I came across bad people. I'm sorry that you did as well.


Sweet. I'll try that argument next time I get a speeding ticket in Quebec - since they aren't "really" a part of Canada (by your argument) so their laws don't apply to people outside of Quebec. Sweet! I never thought beating the police would be so easy!

What is this I don't even
You don't understand at all . Also don't get speeding tickets come on.

If you need me to spell it out: Quebec is a part of Canada. I never said otherwise, and I never said that the laws don't apply.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
XenOmega
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada2822 Posts
January 19 2013 05:09 GMT
#82
Some people seem to make it like all Quebec are assholes. Well, that is plain wrong.

They have a bunch of lunatics ; so do every provinces and countries and it is absurd that they get so much attention. Most Québécois will treat you well, from my experience. And if you stick to big cities (AKA Montreal), you won't have any trouble. Racism is not generalized and I won't let some idiots ruin my perception of Quebec.
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
January 19 2013 15:15 GMT
#83
Djzapz: You do not think you will ever get along with anglophones even though you have no hate for them? Here's an idea, stop thinking on terms of anglo or franco. If people stopped using those stupid labels then there would not even be a debate. Even if two people are not fluent in eachother's language, basic communication is still very easy.

Also, as a law student you should try not to let your beliefs cloud your reasoning. The queen is the sovereign, not the people. It's fine to have the opinion that this should not be the case, but you cannot pretend that something is not real just because you do not like it.
Abraxas514
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada475 Posts
January 19 2013 16:00 GMT
#84
On January 19 2013 14:09 XenOmega wrote:
Some people seem to make it like all Quebec are assholes. Well, that is plain wrong.

They have a bunch of lunatics ; so do every provinces and countries and it is absurd that they get so much attention. Most Québécois will treat you well, from my experience. And if you stick to big cities (AKA Montreal), you won't have any trouble. Racism is not generalized and I won't let some idiots ruin my perception of Quebec.


Xen if you read my OP you would see all the problems are in montreal because thats where most of the anglophones live.

I hope people talking about the pq being temporary are right, or else a see hundreds of engineers and many medical doctors moving 2 hours away for higher wages and less corruption, not to mention no language police.
Fear is the mind killer
Abraxas514
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada475 Posts
January 19 2013 16:02 GMT
#85
On January 19 2013 13:33 Grimmyman123 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2013 08:50 Djzapz wrote:
On January 19 2013 07:57 Abraxas514 wrote:
On January 19 2013 06:44 RavenLoud wrote:

"Treason to the crown" HAHAHAHA


What with all the moronic laughing? In Canada we refer to our federal government as "the crown". We have a picture of the queen on our money (monstly coins). You make yourself look really dumb by laughing at that.

There are so many things that are wrong with that, I don't know why you people insist on defending your ridiculous BS.

In Canada we don't refer to our federal government as "the crown" Abraxas514, nobody ever does that. We refer to the Monarchy of Canada as "the crown", not the entire government. As I'm sure you know, the Queen of Canada (more commonly known as the Queen of the UK) is the head of State of our country, but that's only by law.

To use that particular terminology "Treason to the Crown" is ridiculous for two reasons
First: To betray the monarchy of Canada is a ridiculous concept. Fuck the Queen and everything she represents in our country. An outdated monarchy has no place in a modern democracy. Canada needs to get rid of that fluff. Legal reforms are required. Technical but impractical laws don't apply in real life and should therefore be purged from common language. Progress, please. Let's not sit back on our rotting constitution.
Second: The definition of the word "treason". Maybe you're using a convenient one, that is poorly worded. Being technically unpatriotic is not treason though, and any honest person knows that. You may not be honest.

You think being ridiculed is bad, but you deserved it. Some "arguments" are so bad that they deserve nothing more than to be laughed at. I was nice enough to give you a little rundown but don't butcher the English language by using the word treason like that again. People do the same thing with the word terrorist so much that it loses its value.

On January 19 2013 08:07 Grimmyman123 wrote:
On January 19 2013 06:44 RavenLoud wrote:
Being a first year student at McGill, the cuts to the university fundings makes me absolutely furious. There also has been price increase for tabacco products but that doesn't bother me that much since I don't smoke. I'm still more confident about PQ's ability to get the debt under control compared to the PLQ but removing funding to universities is simply stupid.

I have to say that this attitude of "PQ being environmentalist leftist isolationalist" isn't really that accurate. In fact, Marois has indicated that she is open to talk about the construction of a pipeline from Alberta to Quebec despite the local unpopularity of such act. (Meanwhile, BC and Alberta continue to wrestle on similar issues..)

EDIT: As immigrants, I have absolute confidence in saying that I'd get less discrimination in Quebec than most of the rest of the world, even in developed countries. In fact, my grandma who came to visit us from Asia without speaking a single word of French once said that Quebecers/Canadians are probably the nicest people on Earth. (Don't know about that, but compared to mainland China where she lives, I think that's understandable lol). She was amazed by the fact that random people would open doors for her, help her with bags and even give change to her when she shops because she didn't understand the money that well at first.


"Treason to the crown" HAHAHAHA


Yes, treason to the crown. You are a university student, yes?

As for Quebecers being polite - I contest that, I've been treated horribly in quebec simply because my french was not satisfactory, many times.

Sorry, this topic infuriates me so. I'm done.

No not treason to the crown . Not signing a constitution but adhering to it is not treason. I gave a quick crash course above. This is a province which democratically agreed to live under a constitution in which it did not agree in the name of democracy. It's in opposition to it, but agrees with it regardless. If you ask me, it takes a fair amount of patriotism in a nation to accept this, even if you might say a true patriot would bend over and take it in the ass for your majesty Elizabeth. We've still got our minds and that's okay.

I'm sorry you had bad experiences in QC, we have our fair share of bad apples, but most of us are fine folks who look down on the behavior of the trash that roams some of our streets. I want to say that when I was in Banff for less than I week, I had bad experiences with anglophones twice. They didn't like me speaking French with my friends, they didn't like my accent... Yet most of the people I encountered were great, and it's a shame that I came across bad people. I'm sorry that you did as well.


Sweet. I'll try that argument next time I get a speeding ticket in Quebec - since quebecers aren't "really" a part of Canada (by your argument) so laws don't apply to people outside of Quebec and Canadian laws inside Quebec. Sweet! I never thought beating the police would be so easy!


Are you 12? Only the sq gives tickets on highways and municipals on roads. The mounties only deal with federal crimes in quebec
Fear is the mind killer
PizzaParty
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada169 Posts
January 19 2013 19:34 GMT
#86
On January 20 2013 01:00 Abraxas514 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2013 14:09 XenOmega wrote:
Some people seem to make it like all Quebec are assholes. Well, that is plain wrong.

They have a bunch of lunatics ; so do every provinces and countries and it is absurd that they get so much attention. Most Québécois will treat you well, from my experience. And if you stick to big cities (AKA Montreal), you won't have any trouble. Racism is not generalized and I won't let some idiots ruin my perception of Quebec.


Xen if you read my OP you would see all the problems are in montreal because thats where most of the anglophones live.

I hope people talking about the pq being temporary are right, or else a see hundreds of engineers and many medical doctors moving 2 hours away for higher wages and less corruption, not to mention no language police.


Stop calling it a language police and stop suggesting that all anglophones are educated while francophones are not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMkw6lZ-PY
Tor
Profile Joined March 2008
Canada231 Posts
January 19 2013 19:47 GMT
#87
On January 19 2013 11:07 cz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2013 10:01 RavenLoud wrote:
On January 19 2013 08:07 Grimmyman123 wrote:
On January 19 2013 06:44 RavenLoud wrote:
Being a first year student at McGill, the cuts to the university fundings makes me absolutely furious. There also has been price increase for tabacco products but that doesn't bother me that much since I don't smoke. I'm still more confident about PQ's ability to get the debt under control compared to the PLQ but removing funding to universities is simply stupid.

I have to say that this attitude of "PQ being environmentalist leftist isolationalist" isn't really that accurate. In fact, Marois has indicated that she is open to talk about the construction of a pipeline from Alberta to Quebec despite the local unpopularity of such act. (Meanwhile, BC and Alberta continue to wrestle on similar issues..)

EDIT: As immigrants, I have absolute confidence in saying that I'd get less discrimination in Quebec than most of the rest of the world, even in developed countries. In fact, my grandma who came to visit us from Asia without speaking a single word of French once said that Quebecers/Canadians are probably the nicest people on Earth. (Don't know about that, but compared to mainland China where she lives, I think that's understandable lol). She was amazed by the fact that random people would open doors for her, help her with bags and even give change to her when she shops because she didn't understand the money that well at first.


"Treason to the crown" HAHAHAHA


Yes, treason to the crown. You are a university student, yes?

As for Quebecers being polite - I contest that, I've been treated horribly in quebec simply because my french was not satisfactory, many times.

Sorry, this topic infuriates me so. I'm done.

The Crown is not the way we refer to the government, I've never heard anyone do it anyway. This is not 1904 anymore, Canada's a big boy now and the UK no longer have any real authority on us.

Seriously, I work at a post office, and people would often specifically ask me to not give those stamps with the Queen's picture. (Although Kate & William ones are embraced with glee for some reason.)

I'm sorry about your bad experiences, but I'm afraid I've never had these even when I was learning french. It's not really an excuse to get angry yourself and start insulting Quebecers. Fighting discrimination with more discrimination isn't how it's done. You're becoming what you hate while contributing to the problem.

On a side note, do you think a guy who only speaks french would run into some discrimination in, say, Alberta?

EDIT: I think anti-Quebec arguments are done pretty poorly in this thread overall. I'm far from a separatist but I find myself being forced to defend Quebec rofl.


Depends. Nobody talks about "the crown" in common conversation, but it is obliquely referenced in terms like "crown prosecutor" or "crown corporation."


"The Crown" of 1867 and "The Crown" of today are two different things. Canada now has a fully patriated constitution, the institutions of the monarchy are merely hold-overs designed to keep government functioning in a manner consistent with our past.

Institutions like the Governor General have absolutely no authourity over Canada, but are necessary implements in order to keep our country running. As a drastic change like an elected head of state would alter Canada in fundamental ways (with no certainty that it would even benefit Canadians).

Removing the remnants of the monarchy is just more trouble than it's worth.
Abraxas514
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada475 Posts
January 19 2013 19:58 GMT
#88
On January 20 2013 04:34 PizzaParty wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 20 2013 01:00 Abraxas514 wrote:
On January 19 2013 14:09 XenOmega wrote:
Some people seem to make it like all Quebec are assholes. Well, that is plain wrong.

They have a bunch of lunatics ; so do every provinces and countries and it is absurd that they get so much attention. Most Québécois will treat you well, from my experience. And if you stick to big cities (AKA Montreal), you won't have any trouble. Racism is not generalized and I won't let some idiots ruin my perception of Quebec.


Xen if you read my OP you would see all the problems are in montreal because thats where most of the anglophones live.

I hope people talking about the pq being temporary are right, or else a see hundreds of engineers and many medical doctors moving 2 hours away for higher wages and less corruption, not to mention no language police.


Stop calling it a language police and stop suggesting that all anglophones are educated while francophones are not.


April 1, 1964 was "to align on international French, promote good Canadianisms and fight Anglicisms, [...] work on the normalization of the language in Québec and support State intervention to carry out a global language policy that would consider notably the importance of socio-economic motivations in making French the priority language in Québec."


You can call it "normalization" or "state intervention" but the office de la langue francaise IS a state ran organization that actively pursues any english/allophone signage, messages, postings, names etc. They are literally the police of language in quebec .

"The police are a constituted body of persons empowered by the state to enforce the law, protect property, and limit civil disorder."

Instead of enforcing law against people they enforce law against language. They are quite literally language police.

Also, instead of misinterpreting my expression against the PQ as expression against french people, try to reason here. MOST OF THE FRENCH POPULATION LIVES IN THE SOUTH OF QUEBEC. And I suggested these people are more liberal, forward thinking and more democratic. So take all your innate hatred of everything english somewhere else, because all you're doing is derailing this thread.
Fear is the mind killer
Dawski
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada435 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-19 20:27:32
January 19 2013 20:23 GMT
#89
I'm an anglophone from BC and I understand what DJzapz means when he says that anglos and francos will never truly live in harmony.

I myself have a french fiancee who was born in BC and I've seen the situation from both sides. Her mother can't stand it in BC. She's lived here for upwards of 20 years and still hasn't wanted to work in the area and learn the language. Which ofc would make my parents angry that someone could be so against our culture and language that they wouldn't even try. I'm not saying all francophones are like that at all but when there are cases like that and then quebec votes in a party like the PQ you can't exactly blame some anglos for feeling that way. In fact her father loves it here in BC and wouldn't move back if he didn't have to and then they get thrown together with the extremists.

To the subject at hand from the outside looking in I don't see how the PQ are helping this situation one bit. Nothing creates separation between people like openly stating that "were different and we want to keep it that way!"

edit: (warning this section is biased ^^) just going to add in that a lot of anglos (at least in the west) don't dislike the francos as much as they dislike the government. People here are sour that the political leaders from Quebec will talk down about oil and other natural resource industries that we survive off just to take (huge) equalization payments from us and put it towards having better social services than us and bragging about it back to us.
do you REALLY want additional pylons?
RavenLoud
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada1100 Posts
January 19 2013 21:11 GMT
#90
On January 20 2013 00:15 hzflank wrote:

Also, as a law student you should try not to let your beliefs cloud your reasoning. The queen is the sovereign, not the people. It's fine to have the opinion that this should not be the case, but you cannot pretend that something is not real just because you do not like it.

Well, I don't think the law is very close to "reality'. Do you think that the Queen controls Canada more than the Canadian people?

Abraxas514
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada475 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-19 21:42:21
January 19 2013 21:35 GMT
#91
On January 20 2013 05:23 Dawski wrote:


To the subject at hand from the outside looking in I don't see how the PQ are helping this situation one bit. Nothing creates separation between people like openly stating that "were different and we want to keep it that way!"

edit: (warning this section is biased ^^) just going to add in that a lot of anglos (at least in the west) don't dislike the francos as much as they dislike the government. People here are sour that the political leaders from Quebec will talk down about oil and other natural resource industries that we survive off just to take (huge) equalization payments from us and put it towards having better social services than us and bragging about it back to us.


Precisely. I'll never understand how french canadians could see my extreme dislike of the PQ as racism toward their culture. I am personally somewhere in the middle of the PLQ and CAQ camps, with strong support for CAQ liberalism and strongly against seperatism. Those are two political parties ran (I think, exclusively) by french canadians. And I support them.

So how exactly do I hate you?

The "purelaine" (purelaine) french have this idea that keeping their culture intact means refusing to assimilate into the rest of canada. But this is completely backwards. Canada doesn't try to assimilate anyone, instead they should follow canada's "mosaic" viewpoint into multiculturalism instead of the "melting pot" they are trying to create.

On January 20 2013 06:11 RavenLoud wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 20 2013 00:15 hzflank wrote:

Also, as a law student you should try not to let your beliefs cloud your reasoning. The queen is the sovereign, not the people. It's fine to have the opinion that this should not be the case, but you cannot pretend that something is not real just because you do not like it.

Well, I don't think the law is very close to "reality'. Do you think that the Queen controls Canada more than the Canadian people?



All points of this conversation are moot. The word "crown" is an old synonym for our government, and has almost nothing to do with the queen, besides the fact that we "act with her permission" which means absolutely nothing.

The queen doesnt control shit here. When I said treason to the crown, well, imagine if Texas decided to succeed from the US because their population won't accept some gun law that is passed. They eliminated any trace of the US from their state courts and proposed a bunch of new laws that could prevent someone born in Texas to exercise all of their rights as an American.

Treason:
Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]."

aaaaaand seperatism could loosely be seen as an effort to overthrow canadian control over quebec. Thats it, really.
Fear is the mind killer
Carapas
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada242 Posts
January 19 2013 21:44 GMT
#92
On January 20 2013 05:23 Dawski wrote:
I'm an anglophone from BC and I understand what DJzapz means when he says that anglos and francos will never truly live in harmony.

I myself have a french fiancee who was born in BC and I've seen the situation from both sides. Her mother can't stand it in BC. She's lived here for upwards of 20 years and still hasn't wanted to work in the area and learn the language. Which ofc would make my parents angry that someone could be so against our culture and language that they wouldn't even try. I'm not saying all francophones are like that at all but when there are cases like that and then quebec votes in a party like the PQ you can't exactly blame some anglos for feeling that way. In fact her father loves it here in BC and wouldn't move back if he didn't have to and then they get thrown together with the extremists.

To the subject at hand from the outside looking in I don't see how the PQ are helping this situation one bit. Nothing creates separation between people like openly stating that "were different and we want to keep it that way!"

edit: (warning this section is biased ^^) just going to add in that a lot of anglos (at least in the west) don't dislike the francos as much as they dislike the government. People here are sour that the political leaders from Quebec will talk down about oil and other natural resource industries that we survive off just to take (huge) equalization payments from us and put it towards having better social services than us and bragging about it back to us.

I think some people have a really low understanding of Quebec's politics in this thread. This isn't necessarely directed at you but I just wanted to use your post as a exemple.

You said that the PQ isn't helping the situation, well if the PQ was not elected the student crisis would be even worse. Also, the elections were a 3-way battle between, the most corrupted governement we had since a very long time, a new formed right party and the PQ which was the only left alternative(even if since they've been elected they are more center-right). The separation of Quebec wasn't an issue in the last election.

Another thing that I don't get is: why do you blame the PQ for rudeness agaisnt anglophones. A bill that protect french doesn't affect how you get treated by other people.
Kukaracha
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
France1954 Posts
January 19 2013 21:45 GMT
#93
On January 20 2013 06:35 Abraxas514 wrote:
The "purelaine" (purelaine) french have this idea that keeping their culture intact means refusing to assimilate into the rest of canada. But this is completely backwards. Canada doesn't try to assimilate anyone, instead they should follow canada's "mosaic" viewpoint into multiculturalism instead of the "melting pot" they are trying to create.

To be honest I haven't witnessed any long-lasting multicultural societies... success always ends up in positive assimilation.

Multiculturalism is a vague state where different cultures live together, but it doesn't last long when seen from an historical point of view.
Le long pour l'un pour l'autre est court (le mot-à-mot du mot "amour").
Carapas
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada242 Posts
January 19 2013 21:50 GMT
#94
On January 20 2013 06:35 Abraxas514 wrote:
Treason:
Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]."

aaaaaand seperatism could loosely be seen as an effort to overthrow canadian control over quebec. Thats it, really.

Since we live in a confederation, Canada doesn't control the province of Quebec, if the separation is voted in a referendum I don't see how it could be perceived as a treason.
Kimaker
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2131 Posts
January 19 2013 21:52 GMT
#95
On January 20 2013 06:45 Kukaracha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 20 2013 06:35 Abraxas514 wrote:
The "purelaine" (purelaine) french have this idea that keeping their culture intact means refusing to assimilate into the rest of canada. But this is completely backwards. Canada doesn't try to assimilate anyone, instead they should follow canada's "mosaic" viewpoint into multiculturalism instead of the "melting pot" they are trying to create.

To be honest I haven't witnessed any long-lasting multicultural societies... success always ends up in positive assimilation.

Multiculturalism is a vague state where different cultures live together, but it doesn't last long when seen from an historical point of view.

I know very little about the specifics of the Canadian situation, but this is how I feel about it as well.

If the two sides are truly that antagonistic, they can't co-exist successfully forever. Multicultural societies have a way of falling apart.
Entusman #54 (-_-) ||"Gold is for the Mistress-Silver for the Maid-Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall, But Iron — Cold Iron — is master of them all|| "Optimism is Cowardice."- Oswald Spengler
PizzaParty
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada169 Posts
January 19 2013 22:06 GMT
#96
On January 20 2013 04:58 Abraxas514 wrote:
So take all your innate hatred of everything english somewhere else, because all you're doing is derailing this thread.


You need to calm down and take a break from this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMkw6lZ-PY
Abraxas514
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada475 Posts
January 19 2013 22:14 GMT
#97
On January 20 2013 07:06 PizzaParty wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 20 2013 04:58 Abraxas514 wrote:
So take all your innate hatred of everything english somewhere else, because all you're doing is derailing this thread.


You need to calm down and take a break from this thread.


Actually PizzaParty all your replies have been either attempts to discredit my OP, or misdirections from the original conversation.

You have provided absolutely no information that would help your cause.

If you want to tell me why the OLF is a good thing, seperation is a good idea, and the evils of assimilation, go ahead.
Fear is the mind killer
Grimmyman123
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada939 Posts
January 20 2013 03:07 GMT
#98
On January 20 2013 01:02 Abraxas514 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2013 13:33 Grimmyman123 wrote:
On January 19 2013 08:50 Djzapz wrote:
On January 19 2013 07:57 Abraxas514 wrote:
On January 19 2013 06:44 RavenLoud wrote:

"Treason to the crown" HAHAHAHA


What with all the moronic laughing? In Canada we refer to our federal government as "the crown". We have a picture of the queen on our money (monstly coins). You make yourself look really dumb by laughing at that.

There are so many things that are wrong with that, I don't know why you people insist on defending your ridiculous BS.

In Canada we don't refer to our federal government as "the crown" Abraxas514, nobody ever does that. We refer to the Monarchy of Canada as "the crown", not the entire government. As I'm sure you know, the Queen of Canada (more commonly known as the Queen of the UK) is the head of State of our country, but that's only by law.

To use that particular terminology "Treason to the Crown" is ridiculous for two reasons
First: To betray the monarchy of Canada is a ridiculous concept. Fuck the Queen and everything she represents in our country. An outdated monarchy has no place in a modern democracy. Canada needs to get rid of that fluff. Legal reforms are required. Technical but impractical laws don't apply in real life and should therefore be purged from common language. Progress, please. Let's not sit back on our rotting constitution.
Second: The definition of the word "treason". Maybe you're using a convenient one, that is poorly worded. Being technically unpatriotic is not treason though, and any honest person knows that. You may not be honest.

You think being ridiculed is bad, but you deserved it. Some "arguments" are so bad that they deserve nothing more than to be laughed at. I was nice enough to give you a little rundown but don't butcher the English language by using the word treason like that again. People do the same thing with the word terrorist so much that it loses its value.

On January 19 2013 08:07 Grimmyman123 wrote:
On January 19 2013 06:44 RavenLoud wrote:
Being a first year student at McGill, the cuts to the university fundings makes me absolutely furious. There also has been price increase for tabacco products but that doesn't bother me that much since I don't smoke. I'm still more confident about PQ's ability to get the debt under control compared to the PLQ but removing funding to universities is simply stupid.

I have to say that this attitude of "PQ being environmentalist leftist isolationalist" isn't really that accurate. In fact, Marois has indicated that she is open to talk about the construction of a pipeline from Alberta to Quebec despite the local unpopularity of such act. (Meanwhile, BC and Alberta continue to wrestle on similar issues..)

EDIT: As immigrants, I have absolute confidence in saying that I'd get less discrimination in Quebec than most of the rest of the world, even in developed countries. In fact, my grandma who came to visit us from Asia without speaking a single word of French once said that Quebecers/Canadians are probably the nicest people on Earth. (Don't know about that, but compared to mainland China where she lives, I think that's understandable lol). She was amazed by the fact that random people would open doors for her, help her with bags and even give change to her when she shops because she didn't understand the money that well at first.


"Treason to the crown" HAHAHAHA


Yes, treason to the crown. You are a university student, yes?

As for Quebecers being polite - I contest that, I've been treated horribly in quebec simply because my french was not satisfactory, many times.

Sorry, this topic infuriates me so. I'm done.

No not treason to the crown . Not signing a constitution but adhering to it is not treason. I gave a quick crash course above. This is a province which democratically agreed to live under a constitution in which it did not agree in the name of democracy. It's in opposition to it, but agrees with it regardless. If you ask me, it takes a fair amount of patriotism in a nation to accept this, even if you might say a true patriot would bend over and take it in the ass for your majesty Elizabeth. We've still got our minds and that's okay.

I'm sorry you had bad experiences in QC, we have our fair share of bad apples, but most of us are fine folks who look down on the behavior of the trash that roams some of our streets. I want to say that when I was in Banff for less than I week, I had bad experiences with anglophones twice. They didn't like me speaking French with my friends, they didn't like my accent... Yet most of the people I encountered were great, and it's a shame that I came across bad people. I'm sorry that you did as well.


Sweet. I'll try that argument next time I get a speeding ticket in Quebec - since quebecers aren't "really" a part of Canada (by your argument) so laws don't apply to people outside of Quebec and Canadian laws inside Quebec. Sweet! I never thought beating the police would be so easy!


Are you 12? Only the sq gives tickets on highways and municipals on roads. The mounties only deal with federal crimes in quebec


I am not serious, its called sarcasm, something you might be new to. It was in referense to the previous post, as quoted.
Win. That's all that matters. Win. Nobody likes to lose.
Abraxas514
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada475 Posts
January 20 2013 03:34 GMT
#99
On January 20 2013 12:07 Grimmyman123 wrote:
I am not serious, its called sarcasm, something you might be new to. It was in referense to the previous post, as quoted.


I said 12 because that is too young to drive, and when you drive, you know that the person giving you the ticket is either a SQ or a city cop. So "canadian rules" have nothing to do with speeding fines. Completely irrelevant point but anyway..
Fear is the mind killer
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
January 20 2013 13:52 GMT
#100
On January 20 2013 00:15 hzflank wrote:
Djzapz: You do not think you will ever get along with anglophones even though you have no hate for them? Here's an idea, stop thinking on terms of anglo or franco. If people stopped using those stupid labels then there would not even be a debate. Even if two people are not fluent in eachother's language, basic communication is still very easy.

Also, as a law student you should try not to let your beliefs cloud your reasoning. The queen is the sovereign, not the people. It's fine to have the opinion that this should not be the case, but you cannot pretend that something is not real just because you do not like it.

This thread has been quiet but I hadn't noticed that so I'll address it.
I believe that the problem is external to me. I am fully able to stop thinking in terms of anglophones/francophones given a setting wherein that is possible. Unfortunately, the debate is around me all the time. I think "we" can't get along because there's an overwhelming amount of issues, some real and some manufactured by one side or the other to cause clashes. On the other hand I am perfectly bilingual and I'm nice to anyone who politely talks to me in English in Montreal.

As for the second part of your post, I'm not a law student, I'm a political science student*. The advantages of that is I'm able to examine the real world rather than the world as described by obsolete law texts which while they're technically law, don't actually hold any water whatsoever. To say that the queen is sovereign because it says so in the constitution is not only gullible but also dishonest since the queen, in the real world, has none of the actual powers that should come with being sovereign.

I've had this very same debate before with a lawyer I believe, (on TL even) and we won't come to an agreement. I understand your stance, but I think it's short-sighted.


*: After my masters I'm thinking about getting a second one in law. I'm able to question things but I'm also able to know when not to. Cheers.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1213
firebathero 641
Hyun 402
Hyuk 398
BeSt 344
Jaedong 336
Mong 292
Soma 217
PianO 87
Shine 68
[ Show more ]
Sexy 68
910 57
Mind 55
Stork 47
sSak 41
Shinee 28
Hm[arnc] 27
ZergMaN 27
Bale 25
yabsab 22
Sharp 19
HiyA 17
ZerO 16
sorry 13
Noble 11
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe9
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1226
olofmeister1150
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King320
Other Games
gofns34298
summit1g7849
ceh9615
KnowMe136
Pyrionflax104
Livibee44
Trikslyr26
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick466
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1004
• Stunt381
Other Games
• Shiphtur444
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 36m
Patches Events
6h 36m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.