• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:01
CEST 09:01
KST 16:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9683 users

Washington State Votes to Approve Gay Marriage - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28 29 Next All
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
February 09 2012 04:39 GMT
#61
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Would you be okay if it was called "marraige" instead of "marriage," or is that too similar? How different should it be if marraige is too similar?

The government can not force any church to marry anyone if that church doesn't want to. How is that any different from what you said?
bode927
Profile Joined April 2011
United States164 Posts
February 09 2012 04:40 GMT
#62
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.
CatsnHats
Profile Joined October 2011
United States199 Posts
February 09 2012 04:42 GMT
#63
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Marriage is just a word. Why do religious groups have to cling to it so fervently? It's not like they invented it. Marriage is a state/human right, not a religious one. Gay couples don't want to get "civil union-ized," they want to get MARRIED.
meow
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 04:44:06
February 09 2012 04:43 GMT
#64
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


The point is that it isn't a church thing. Every culture has some form of "marriage" just because the word has religious roots does not mean it is a religious word. The fact that non-religious people can get married makes this argument void. If you accept that in terms of "marriage" non religious and homosexuals are identical then why does one group have to use the words civil union whilst the other can use marriage?
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
SafeAsCheese
Profile Joined June 2011
United States4924 Posts
February 09 2012 04:43 GMT
#65
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


Why not make it a church thing?

Your logic is that gays are unable to ever call themselves Christians, or many other religions.

That's illegal segregation in the US, even if "civil unions" are the same thing with a different name. "separate but equal"

I don't follow this issue much, but if it is true that gays are not allowed to be Christians, it just makes me laugh all the more at religion and even more sad at how much governmental power they have.
wunsun
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada622 Posts
February 09 2012 04:45 GMT
#66
I have a Christian friend, and he explained it to me pretty well. I am for gay marriage, and we were discussing it. He said that he doesn't' really care what other people do, except that they should not use the term marriage. Marriage is term that is held dearly to them, and therefore, that is why he is against it. I asked him if he was OK if it was named something else (civil union) and he said that he is uncomfortable, but is OK with it.

I think the basic idea is that those of us that are not religious see marriage as a ceremony to declare love to each other, but Christians sees it something almost sacred. I think that is the primary issue.
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
February 09 2012 04:45 GMT
#67
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?


Gays have as much a right to fuck up marriage as straight people.

None.

Marriage laws are a complete fucking joke, and need to be seriously reformed. As in, eliminate no-fault divorce, require disclosure of medical/criminal history prior to nuptials, at-fault divorce needs to require adultery on the part of the woman, concubinage on the part of the man, a severe criminal conviction, abandonment or insanity and complete elimination of subsidies towards single parents. And finally, laws against discrimination on the basis of marital status need to be removed.

If people don't want to get married, then so be it. If they want to shack up and have children, so be it. The western notion of romantic marriage undermines it completely.

Marriage isn't just about the two of you. Its about forming stable families that allow for the accumulation of social capital.
aksfjh
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4853 Posts
February 09 2012 04:47 GMT
#68
On February 09 2012 13:17 Yosho wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:13 reincremate wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:09 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:08 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:07 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:06 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:02 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:00 1Eris1 wrote:
On February 09 2012 12:55 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.


I wouldn't vote for this to pass but if I would vote to not let is pass. Although even in nature gay animals exist, I feel it's like any other deficiency that people / animals can be born with. One of the sole thing we rely on to define life is reproduction. You cannot do this naturally on gay people. Not to be rude but I don't count this as a step up, but as a step down.


You say they are born with it, than why does it matter if they can get married? It's not like you're going to convince one of them to turn straight, and thus reproduce anyways.


I figure it goes against nature. Why support it further? Mentally ill people who are born with deficiency's also should be restricted on what they can and can't do. I would not like a mentally handicapped person to operate extremely heavy machinery. And I don't think gay people should marry. I feel it's a defilement of what marriage is.


Is menopause a deficieny? Cause if not why should women who can't reproduce be allowed to get married? Hell what about sterile men? Honestly this deficiency bullshit is just cover for bigotted religious views.


I don't believe in religion. At all...


So then how is two men getting married different in a biological sense from a sterile man marrying a women?


Where would you draw the line though? Man and women was clearly intended. Man and man, woman and woman wasn't. It just happens that the male or female couldn't reproduce. They were still meant to be.

Intended by who? You said you aren't religious and intentionality requires an agent. If you mean intended by nature, that evidently isn't true, because nature isn't a sentient entity. If you mean intended by the state/people, well it is intended now.


No I mean intended as all through history reproduction is the largest rule. Nowhere in history or species besides self sex species are same sex who can pro create. Just like man man, woman woman. This isn't religious based. This is based on the fact that male and female reproduce and follow the law that is survival. Gay and lesbians seem to be the human race falling off it's primary function intended by evolution. Survival... reproduction. It's kind of silly in my eyes.

Or, idk, maybe human survival transcends procreation into the realm of ensuring the safety of the race as a whole. This would include caring for others, possibly even sharing your life with somebody so you can pool resources and efforts, while providing one another with the emotional and physical comfort of a companion.

Or we can take your route, everybody just goes around having sex. To hell with marriage! Should spend all our time worrying about how to have more babies, not stupid rituals which bind ourselves to one mate, spitting on the very nature of evolution by restricting diversification!
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 04:50:41
February 09 2012 04:49 GMT
#69
On February 09 2012 13:45 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?


Gays have as much a right to fuck up marriage as straight people.

None.

Marriage laws are a complete fucking joke, and need to be seriously reformed. As in, eliminate no-fault divorce, require disclosure of medical/criminal history prior to nuptials, at-fault divorce needs to require adultery on the part of the woman, concubinage on the part of the man, a severe criminal conviction, abandonment or insanity and complete elimination of subsidies towards single parents. And finally, laws against discrimination on the basis of marital status need to be removed.

If people don't want to get married, then so be it. If they want to shack up and have children, so be it. The western notion of romantic marriage undermines it completely.

Marriage isn't just about the two of you. Its about forming stable families that allow for the accumulation of social capital.


I'm not sure what you are saying

My point was simple. If straight people have the right to completely shit all over the concept of marriage and what it is traditionally supposed to be, why can't gay people? Who says gay families are inherently less stable than staight ones?

Edit: Are you saying that no-one should get married?
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
bode927
Profile Joined April 2011
United States164 Posts
February 09 2012 04:49 GMT
#70
On February 09 2012 13:43 Probulous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


The point is that it isn't a church thing. Every culture has some form of "marriage" just because the word has religious roots does not mean it is a religious word. The fact that non-religious people can get married makes this argument void. If you accept that in terms of "marriage" non religious and homosexuals are identical then why does one group have to use the words civil union whilst the other can use marriage?


To me, I believe it's a church thing before its a religious thing. To me, marriage means a sacred covenant that a man and a woman make together before God.

If I believe that, I have the right to vote against it just as much as you have the right to vote for it if you want to.
bode927
Profile Joined April 2011
United States164 Posts
February 09 2012 04:50 GMT
#71
On February 09 2012 13:43 SafeAsCheese wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


Why not make it a church thing?

Your logic is that gays are unable to ever call themselves Christians, or many other religions.

That's illegal segregation in the US, even if "civil unions" are the same thing with a different name. "separate but equal"

I don't follow this issue much, but if it is true that gays are not allowed to be Christians, it just makes me laugh all the more at religion and even more sad at how much governmental power they have.


It's about how the Bible defines marriage and what it says about homosexuality. As a Christian, I believe the definition of marriage is not something that man created, therefore, manmade law has no precedent over what it should or should not be. To me, marriage is a church thing before it is a government thing.
steev
Profile Joined December 2011
17 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-10 01:31:42
February 09 2012 04:51 GMT
#72
You silly kids being fooled into thinking gay marriage is actually an important issue. While the public is all worried about giving this tiny group some rights, these crooks are trying to STRIP US OF ALL OUR RIGHTS. SOPA, PIPA, and NDAA are actual issues. We need to protect the rights we already have.

So stop with this gay marriage nonsense. It doesn't matter to the 99% of us.
sc2computer
PanN
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2828 Posts
February 09 2012 04:51 GMT
#73
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


So you want to spend a lot of tax payer money to treat gay people fairly, yet not the same?

Sounds like discrimination, discrimination against someone loving someone of their own choosing, disgusting. Sure you can give them the same benefits, but want to shove the fact that they're different down their throats as you do it. You'd rather waste a ton of money copying an already semi-working system simply because of YOUR definition of marriage, than choosing a more successful and obviously fair route.


We have multiple brackets generated in advance. Relax . (Kennigit) I just simply do not understand how it can be the time to play can be 22nd at 9:30 pm PST / midnight the 23rd at the same time. (GGzerg)
bode927
Profile Joined April 2011
United States164 Posts
February 09 2012 04:52 GMT
#74
On February 09 2012 13:45 wunsun wrote:
I have a Christian friend, and he explained it to me pretty well. I am for gay marriage, and we were discussing it. He said that he doesn't' really care what other people do, except that they should not use the term marriage. Marriage is term that is held dearly to them, and therefore, that is why he is against it. I asked him if he was OK if it was named something else (civil union) and he said that he is uncomfortable, but is OK with it.

I think the basic idea is that those of us that are not religious see marriage as a ceremony to declare love to each other, but Christians sees it something almost sacred. I think that is the primary issue.


Indeed it is, and I think you and your friend understand it perfectly. Just split them apart if you ask me. Then I'm fine with it.
reincremate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
China2216 Posts
February 09 2012 04:52 GMT
#75
On February 09 2012 13:50 bode927 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:43 SafeAsCheese wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


Why not make it a church thing?

Your logic is that gays are unable to ever call themselves Christians, or many other religions.

That's illegal segregation in the US, even if "civil unions" are the same thing with a different name. "separate but equal"

I don't follow this issue much, but if it is true that gays are not allowed to be Christians, it just makes me laugh all the more at religion and even more sad at how much governmental power they have.


It's about how the Bible defines marriage and what it says about homosexuality. As a Christian, I believe the definition of marriage is not something that man created, therefore, manmade law has no precedent over what it should or should not be. To me, marriage is a church thing before it is a government thing.

Marriage is not a christian invention.
PanN
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2828 Posts
February 09 2012 04:53 GMT
#76
On February 09 2012 13:52 bode927 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:45 wunsun wrote:
I have a Christian friend, and he explained it to me pretty well. I am for gay marriage, and we were discussing it. He said that he doesn't' really care what other people do, except that they should not use the term marriage. Marriage is term that is held dearly to them, and therefore, that is why he is against it. I asked him if he was OK if it was named something else (civil union) and he said that he is uncomfortable, but is OK with it.

I think the basic idea is that those of us that are not religious see marriage as a ceremony to declare love to each other, but Christians sees it something almost sacred. I think that is the primary issue.


Indeed it is, and I think you and your friend understand it perfectly. Just split them apart if you ask me. Then I'm fine with it.


Marriage was around before Christianity just so you know. So you, and the person you're quoting are wrong in your ways of thinking.
We have multiple brackets generated in advance. Relax . (Kennigit) I just simply do not understand how it can be the time to play can be 22nd at 9:30 pm PST / midnight the 23rd at the same time. (GGzerg)
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
February 09 2012 04:53 GMT
#77
On February 09 2012 13:49 bode927 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:43 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


The point is that it isn't a church thing. Every culture has some form of "marriage" just because the word has religious roots does not mean it is a religious word. The fact that non-religious people can get married makes this argument void. If you accept that in terms of "marriage" non religious and homosexuals are identical then why does one group have to use the words civil union whilst the other can use marriage?


To me, I believe it's a church thing before its a religious thing. To me, marriage means a sacred covenant that a man and a woman make together before God.

If I believe that, I have the right to vote against it just as much as you have the right to vote for it if you want to.


That is most certainly true and I salute you on standing by your beliefs

What I can't stand is people who say they are not religious but don't support the concept of gay marriage.
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
bode927
Profile Joined April 2011
United States164 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 04:54:40
February 09 2012 04:54 GMT
#78
On February 09 2012 13:52 reincremate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:50 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:43 SafeAsCheese wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


Why not make it a church thing?

Your logic is that gays are unable to ever call themselves Christians, or many other religions.

That's illegal segregation in the US, even if "civil unions" are the same thing with a different name. "separate but equal"

I don't follow this issue much, but if it is true that gays are not allowed to be Christians, it just makes me laugh all the more at religion and even more sad at how much governmental power they have.


It's about how the Bible defines marriage and what it says about homosexuality. As a Christian, I believe the definition of marriage is not something that man created, therefore, manmade law has no precedent over what it should or should not be. To me, marriage is a church thing before it is a government thing.

Marriage is not a christian invention.


That's why this phrase encompasses the phrase "To me" and to a lot of other people in this country. Like I said earlier in the thread, I have just as much right to vote against gay marriage due to my own worldview as anyone else has to vote for it.
PanN
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2828 Posts
February 09 2012 04:56 GMT
#79
On February 09 2012 13:54 bode927 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:52 reincremate wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:50 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:43 SafeAsCheese wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


Why not make it a church thing?

Your logic is that gays are unable to ever call themselves Christians, or many other religions.

That's illegal segregation in the US, even if "civil unions" are the same thing with a different name. "separate but equal"

I don't follow this issue much, but if it is true that gays are not allowed to be Christians, it just makes me laugh all the more at religion and even more sad at how much governmental power they have.


It's about how the Bible defines marriage and what it says about homosexuality. As a Christian, I believe the definition of marriage is not something that man created, therefore, manmade law has no precedent over what it should or should not be. To me, marriage is a church thing before it is a government thing.

Marriage is not a christian invention.


That's why this phrase encompasses the phrase "To me" and to a lot of other people in this country. Like I said earlier in the thread, I have just as much right to vote against gay marriage due to my own worldview as anyone else has to vote for it.


You can say "to me" all you want, but you're still wrong. Marriage isn't a "church thing before a government thing" because marriage predates it.

We have multiple brackets generated in advance. Relax . (Kennigit) I just simply do not understand how it can be the time to play can be 22nd at 9:30 pm PST / midnight the 23rd at the same time. (GGzerg)
aksfjh
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4853 Posts
February 09 2012 04:56 GMT
#80
On February 09 2012 13:54 bode927 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 13:52 reincremate wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:50 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:43 SafeAsCheese wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:40 bode927 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:28 rapidash88 wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:23 Probulous wrote:
On February 09 2012 13:21 rapidash88 wrote:
I'm not homophobic, but shoving "gay marriage" down the throats of religious groups is hardly a "right step foward." I do agree with the idea that gays should have equally binding civil unions, but calling it marriage is a slap in the face to many


he he that's a little hypocritical. How many marriages are a slap in the face to religious communities? I cite the enormous divorce rate and the presence of drive through chapels as evidence. If marriage is based on love, surely gays ahve just as much right to fuck up marriage as straight people?

Gays DO have just as much rights to be with the people they love. However, I think that gay marriage would be a lot easier for a lot of its opponents to handle if it was simply a civil union with all of the same legal ramification of a marriage. In my opinion, that would have allowed it to pass in my home state (where it failed by referendum very narrowly). Some religious people, myself included, don't hate gays. I just believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I voted against the proposal. If it had been worded differently (that little of a difference) I wouldve voted yes.


Finally someone who realizes that opposing gay marriage =/= hating gay people.

I agree with what you say. I oppose marriage for gay people because I believe that marriage is originally a religious idea, and the way that said religion defines marriage is between a man and a woman.

I have absolutely no problem voting to legalize civil unions that give the exact same benefit as any marriage, just don't make it a church thing and don't call it marriage.


Why not make it a church thing?

Your logic is that gays are unable to ever call themselves Christians, or many other religions.

That's illegal segregation in the US, even if "civil unions" are the same thing with a different name. "separate but equal"

I don't follow this issue much, but if it is true that gays are not allowed to be Christians, it just makes me laugh all the more at religion and even more sad at how much governmental power they have.


It's about how the Bible defines marriage and what it says about homosexuality. As a Christian, I believe the definition of marriage is not something that man created, therefore, manmade law has no precedent over what it should or should not be. To me, marriage is a church thing before it is a government thing.

Marriage is not a christian invention.


That's why this phrase encompasses the phrase "To me" and to a lot of other people in this country. Like I said earlier in the thread, I have just as much right to vote against gay marriage due to my own worldview as anyone else has to vote for it.

Of course you have the right to speak up and vote against it, but you must also understand how this violates U.S. Constitutional law and common law.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 258
ProTech134
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 273
Dewaltoss 104
Leta 56
sSak 52
Bale 37
NotJumperer 30
ZergMaN 21
Aegong 14
yabsab 8
Icarus 7
[ Show more ]
Noble 7
League of Legends
JimRising 606
Reynor0
Other Games
summit1g10839
Sick197
Nina86
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick809
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1615
• Stunt473
• Jankos255
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 59m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3h 59m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 59m
Replay Cast
15h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 3h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.