• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:12
CEST 15:12
KST 22:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9207 users

Washington State Votes to Approve Gay Marriage

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 Next All
Josealtron
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States219 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 02:45:24
February 09 2012 02:34 GMT
#1
Haven't seen a topic on this yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/08/us/washington-same-sex-marriage/index.html

+ Show Spoiler +
A bipartisan group of lawmakers in Washington State voted Wednesday in favor of a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage, putting Washington on the path toward becoming the seventh state in the nation to legalize marriage for gay and lesbian couples.

"With today's vote, we tell the nation that Washington state will no longer deny our citizens the opportunity to marry the person they love," said Gov. Chris Gregoire, a Demorcrat who has vowed to sign it. "We tell every child of same-sex couples that their family is every bit as equal and important as all other families in our state. And we take a major step toward completing a long and important journey to end discrimination based on sexual orientation."

The law will go into effect in June, when the legislative session ends, unless opponents halt its implementation by putting it on the November 2012 ballot.

The 55-43 vote in the House included two Republicans in support of the bill. The Senate vote last week was 28-21 and included four Republicans.


Personal thoughts:

One state closer to a better America . It's great to see gay marriage finally being legalized in some states, and I think that with time gay marriage will eventually be legal in most or all of the U.S. It's long overdue, anyway. I lol'd at this little quote in there:

+ Show Spoiler +
"If we as a state are going to take the position that mothers and fathers are interchangeable and replaceable, if we are going to send a message to fathers and potential fathers in this state that it isn't important to be in the lives of their children because dads specifically don't matter, that is something we should all do together," he said last month.


That's an incredibly misleading quote that a lot of people would fall for, I'm sure. Anyway, a good day for gay rights in the U.S.!


Note for any people outside the U.S. that don't know U.S. states: This is referring to Washington, a state in northwestern U.S., not Washington D.C., the capital the U.S.
"If you give up on yourself, you give up on the world."
Housemd
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1407 Posts
February 09 2012 02:35 GMT
#2
Just heard about this. Incredible news and makes me still have a little bit of belief in America.
Fantasy is a beast
Boblhead
Profile Joined August 2010
United States2577 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 02:39:24
February 09 2012 02:39 GMT
#3
mostly democratic states vote yes on gay marriage. Southern states and republican majority states will vote against because they are anti gay or don't support it because of their church/ religion. Plus the amount of money churches put in to stop these things from passing is insane.
yoten
Profile Joined January 2011
United States57 Posts
February 09 2012 02:39 GMT
#4
Finally. Between this and proposition 8's downfall, things are looking better for gay rights.
"Do with my minions as you will, Cerebrate. They will serve you unquestioningly. Go and bring swift wrath to all who would oppose the Swarm."
Kaal
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Djibouti2570 Posts
February 09 2012 02:42 GMT
#5
You can thank Microsoft for this. From what I heard they threatened to move their business out of the state.
Josealtron
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States219 Posts
February 09 2012 02:44 GMT
#6
On February 09 2012 11:39 Boblhead wrote:
mostly democratic states vote yes on gay marriage. Southern states and republican majority states will vote against because they are anti gay or don't support it because of their church/ religion. Plus the amount of money churches put in to stop these things from passing is insane.


Of course. But, as with slavery and minority/women's rights, I think eventually the southern states will relent. It won't be soon, but I believe it will eventually happen. But yeah, that is true
"If you give up on yourself, you give up on the world."
NicolBolas
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1388 Posts
February 09 2012 02:44 GMT
#7
Good news.

BTW, could the title be changed to emphasize that this is Washington State, and not Washington DC (and thus Congress and the US as a whole)? Because I was kinda excited, and then let down to see that it was just the state of Washington.
So you know, cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come up and talk to you, it's great. But if you try to talk to them, it doesn't always go so well. - Shigeru Miyamoto
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
February 09 2012 02:50 GMT
#8
Great news for Washington, I'm so proud.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
February 09 2012 02:57 GMT
#9
Every little bit counts. For a country that prides itself on personal freedom, the freedom to marry who you love should not be an issue. Oh well, great things take time.
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
NekoFlandre
Profile Joined March 2011
United States497 Posts
February 09 2012 03:29 GMT
#10
You know. I live in the damned state that Started this whole thing. GO MASSACHUSETTS!!!

I may not be gay or a lesbian but. Who the hell cares what sex you want to love or be with. Doesn't really matter as long as your happy.

Thank you Washington...for once..you do something right.
Kitty Flandre....even more scary..
Romantic
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1844 Posts
February 09 2012 03:44 GMT
#11
On February 09 2012 11:57 Probulous wrote:
Every little bit counts. For a country that prides itself on personal freedom, the freedom to marry who you love should not be an issue. Oh well, great things take time.

It really isn't that easy, but this is good
bRiz
Profile Joined August 2011
United States113 Posts
February 09 2012 03:49 GMT
#12
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.
Abort Retry Fail
Profile Joined December 2011
2636 Posts
February 09 2012 03:51 GMT
#13
Good thing for America and humanity!
Rainbow power!
BSOD
reincremate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
China2216 Posts
February 09 2012 03:53 GMT
#14
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.

It appears the US is on a slippery slope towards becoming a free country.
Yosho
Profile Joined June 2010
585 Posts
February 09 2012 03:55 GMT
#15
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.


I wouldn't vote for this to pass but if I would vote to not let is pass. Although even in nature gay animals exist, I feel it's like any other deficiency that people / animals can be born with. One of the sole thing we rely on to define life is reproduction. You cannot do this naturally on gay people. Not to be rude but I don't count this as a step up, but as a step down.
For master league random race videos and replays go to www.youtube.com/sc2yosho
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
February 09 2012 03:57 GMT
#16
Good movement forward in my opinion. I'm guessing that it's still gonna take a while for most states to pass it since the majority of America still considers itself a Christian nation (I am a Christian myself, not trying to troll).
Write your own song!
1Eris1
Profile Joined September 2010
United States5797 Posts
February 09 2012 04:00 GMT
#17
On February 09 2012 12:55 Yosho wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.


I wouldn't vote for this to pass but if I would vote to not let is pass. Although even in nature gay animals exist, I feel it's like any other deficiency that people / animals can be born with. One of the sole thing we rely on to define life is reproduction. You cannot do this naturally on gay people. Not to be rude but I don't count this as a step up, but as a step down.


You say they are born with it, than why does it matter if they can get married? It's not like you're going to convince one of them to turn straight, and thus reproduce anyways.
Known Aliases: Tyragon, Valeric ~MSL Forever, SKT is truly the Superior KT!
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
February 09 2012 04:01 GMT
#18
On February 09 2012 12:55 Yosho wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.


I wouldn't vote for this to pass but if I would vote to not let is pass. Although even in nature gay animals exist, I feel it's like any other deficiency that people / animals can be born with. One of the sole thing we rely on to define life is reproduction. You cannot do this naturally on gay people. Not to be rude but I don't count this as a step up, but as a step down.


That's your problem. You're living in the 19th century. Anyway, the debate is besides the point. Government should not be deciding who you can marry. As long as both participants are mentally capable of making an informed decision (ie you can't marry your dog) then why should others have any say in who you decide to spend your life with?
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
reincremate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
China2216 Posts
February 09 2012 04:01 GMT
#19
On February 09 2012 12:55 Yosho wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.


I wouldn't vote for this to pass but if I would vote to not let is pass. Although even in nature gay animals exist, I feel it's like any other deficiency that people / animals can be born with. One of the sole thing we rely on to define life is reproduction. You cannot do this naturally on gay people. Not to be rude but I don't count this as a step up, but as a step down.

Homosexuals still have the capacity to have kids, so if they really wanted to, they could pass on their genetic material. The desire to have sex that can lead to reproduction, however, is more maladaptive, especially since we are overpopulated. By your seemingly biologically reductionist logic homosexuals are superior to heterosexuals (a view I would find offensive as a heterosexual).
Yosho
Profile Joined June 2010
585 Posts
February 09 2012 04:02 GMT
#20
On February 09 2012 13:00 1Eris1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 12:55 Yosho wrote:
On February 09 2012 12:49 bRiz wrote:
Don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it's a positive answer to a problem being experienced in the GLT community, but I personally prefer to keep marriage between a man and a woman, though I don't think I'd vote for a restriction like that. Just a personal opinion.


I wouldn't vote for this to pass but if I would vote to not let is pass. Although even in nature gay animals exist, I feel it's like any other deficiency that people / animals can be born with. One of the sole thing we rely on to define life is reproduction. You cannot do this naturally on gay people. Not to be rude but I don't count this as a step up, but as a step down.


You say they are born with it, than why does it matter if they can get married? It's not like you're going to convince one of them to turn straight, and thus reproduce anyways.


I figure it goes against nature. Why support it further? Mentally ill people who are born with deficiency's also should be restricted on what they can and can't do. I would not like a mentally handicapped person to operate extremely heavy machinery. And I don't think gay people should marry. I feel it's a defilement of what marriage is.
For master league random race videos and replays go to www.youtube.com/sc2yosho
1 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Rogue
Classic vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1086
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings188
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech143
CosmosSc2 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48826
Shuttle 9669
FanTaSy 1462
Hyuk 916
Horang2 478
BeSt 378
EffOrt 240
Pusan 205
Last 188
Soma 135
[ Show more ]
Zeus 129
Mind 106
Hyun 83
hero 73
ggaemo 68
Killer 66
Snow 54
Hm[arnc] 43
PianO 35
ToSsGirL 33
Sexy 32
Aegong 29
Bale 27
JYJ 18
zelot 17
NaDa 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Sacsri 8
Rock 7
Noble 6
Icarus 4
Dota 2
qojqva1475
Dendi1140
Gorgc951
XcaliburYe326
Counter-Strike
fl0m2649
x6flipin318
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu493
Khaldor295
Other Games
gofns38047
B2W.Neo979
byalli636
Beastyqt383
Livibee182
Hui .172
Mlord118
ArmadaUGS91
Mew2King63
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick701
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream60
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2427
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
1h 48m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 48m
Replay Cast
9h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 48m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
21h 48m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 21h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.