• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:04
CEST 00:04
KST 07:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8603 users

Washington State Votes to Approve Gay Marriage - Page 29

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 27 28 29 All
1Eris1
Profile Joined September 2010
United States5797 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-16 05:16:28
February 16 2012 05:16 GMT
#561
On February 16 2012 13:53 polysciguy wrote:
its a big step forward yes, however the state still can't force a church to marry them.



Nor should it. I advocate gay rights as much as the next guy, but the church is not a government faction and thus should not be subject to such laws. Can't see why a gay couple would want to get married there in the first place either.
Known Aliases: Tyragon, Valeric ~MSL Forever, SKT is truly the Superior KT!
Stratos_speAr
Profile Joined May 2009
United States6959 Posts
February 16 2012 07:15 GMT
#562
On February 16 2012 11:29 BluePanther wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 07:10 SerpentFlame wrote:
On February 16 2012 07:02 BluePanther wrote:
On February 16 2012 06:52 SerpentFlame wrote:
On February 16 2012 06:44 BluePanther wrote:
On February 16 2012 06:26 SerpentFlame wrote:
On February 15 2012 18:59 BluePanther wrote:
2. I've never been able to support gay adoption. I understand it's positive factors.... I really do. But it just seems to me, from an evolutionary standpoint, bad practice. While it shouldn't be determinative, there IS something to the social conservative argument that families and not individuals should be the most important social construct. I'm not a social conservative, nor do I support the extent they take this argument in most issues, but this is one where I think they have merit. Parenting has a profound effect on a kid's future. I'm not saying that gay couples would be poor parents. Actually I believe the reverse is probably true; they probably care more. It's just that it's messing with something that, IMO, shouldn't be messed with. I just feel like there is some reason not fully understand for the reason it takes one male and one female to have a kid,


You cite your opposition as a bad practice from an evolutionary standpoint, and then ignore that the trait of homosexuality is a result of evolution (a "panda's thumb", or perhaps otherwise).

One of the prevailing theories (the kin selection hypothesis) for the prevalence of homosexuality is that prehistoric societies functioned better with a few homosexuals in the mix, so that they could help take care of the kids of their relatives. Whether the hypothesis is true or not is up for debate, but to assert that homosexuality has no place in an evolutionary standpoint needs a lot of reinforcement, especially since the trait has survived to the modern day (and lives in our closest animal relatives too)

I have no idea why a family of two gay individuals is not a family like any other. In fact, given the incredibly high divorce rates in the Western world, its hard to believe gay families would be less stable.


But at the same time, we all know that homosexuallity isn't viable long term with evolution.

Being gay has been well documented in human history for thousands of years, and has been detected in nearly every animal species even remotely related to us (baboons, lemurs, chimpanzees, etc.). This suggests that being gay has been around for millions of years (baboons and humans share a common ancesetor from around 30 million years ago).

Whether or not being gay is purely biological, the point is that its manifested itself in our monkey relatives and our ancient societies (Greece, anyone?). Guess what? The trait survives! Ancient Greece did not collapse because of the prevalance of homosexuality, nor did lemurs and baboons go extinct. So of course homosexuality is viable in the long term.

Also agree with the point on eugenics being an ugly thing.


My point is that if it's a positive evolutionary trait AND biological, it would slowly become more prevalent. That is not the case. (And like I said, we all know this cannot be the case due to how procreation works). This means it is more likely tied to social norms than to the human genome.

Who cares if its a 'positive' or 'negative' trait? Being anything short of Chuck Norris fused with Albert Einstein is a 'negative' trait. Being Asian, Khoasian, Bantu, Caucasian, Arabic, Indian, etc. are also not "slowly becoming more prevalent". Um, so? Why should this tell us how we should treat people?

And monkeys are homosexual because of social norms? What evidence do you have for this?

It's also not clear to me that you know how the kin selection hypothesis works. The premise is that a few homosexual individuals assist in raising the children of their heterosexual family members. Their individual genes were passed on through their family members. Homosexuality may be a 'panda's thumb'. That doesn't matter at all.

You still don't touch on the point about evolution being separate from morals and ethics. That's a dangerous slope into the eugenics movement, which argued for social policies based on evolutionary viability. And it wasn't nice at all.

On February 16 2012 07:05 BluePanther wrote:
On February 16 2012 07:03 Roe wrote:
On February 16 2012 07:02 BluePanther wrote:
On February 16 2012 06:52 SerpentFlame wrote:
On February 16 2012 06:44 BluePanther wrote:
On February 16 2012 06:26 SerpentFlame wrote:
On February 15 2012 18:59 BluePanther wrote:
2. I've never been able to support gay adoption. I understand it's positive factors.... I really do. But it just seems to me, from an evolutionary standpoint, bad practice. While it shouldn't be determinative, there IS something to the social conservative argument that families and not individuals should be the most important social construct. I'm not a social conservative, nor do I support the extent they take this argument in most issues, but this is one where I think they have merit. Parenting has a profound effect on a kid's future. I'm not saying that gay couples would be poor parents. Actually I believe the reverse is probably true; they probably care more. It's just that it's messing with something that, IMO, shouldn't be messed with. I just feel like there is some reason not fully understand for the reason it takes one male and one female to have a kid,


You cite your opposition as a bad practice from an evolutionary standpoint, and then ignore that the trait of homosexuality is a result of evolution (a "panda's thumb", or perhaps otherwise).

One of the prevailing theories (the kin selection hypothesis) for the prevalence of homosexuality is that prehistoric societies functioned better with a few homosexuals in the mix, so that they could help take care of the kids of their relatives. Whether the hypothesis is true or not is up for debate, but to assert that homosexuality has no place in an evolutionary standpoint needs a lot of reinforcement, especially since the trait has survived to the modern day (and lives in our closest animal relatives too)

I have no idea why a family of two gay individuals is not a family like any other. In fact, given the incredibly high divorce rates in the Western world, its hard to believe gay families would be less stable.


But at the same time, we all know that homosexuallity isn't viable long term with evolution.

Being gay has been well documented in human history for thousands of years, and has been detected in nearly every animal species even remotely related to us (baboons, lemurs, chimpanzees, etc.). This suggests that being gay has been around for millions of years (baboons and humans share a common ancesetor from around 30 million years ago).

Whether or not being gay is purely biological, the point is that its manifested itself in our monkey relatives and our ancient societies (Greece, anyone?). Guess what? The trait survives! Ancient Greece did not collapse because of the prevalance of homosexuality, nor did lemurs and baboons go extinct. So of course homosexuality is viable in the long term.

Also agree with the point on eugenics being an ugly thing.


My point is that if it's a positive evolutionary trait AND biological, it would slowly become more prevalent. That is not the case. (And like I said, we all know this cannot be the case due to how procreation works). This means it is more likely tied to social norms than to the human genome.

still doesn't counter what he said at all.


It wasn't meant to. He never countered what I said. He just says that homosexuality has been around a long time and hasn't died out. I don't object to that at all, and it doesn't have really anything to do with my statement.

No. Your entire premise is that this was not 'evolutionary viable', except that it has been in baboons, lemurs, chimapnzees, and guess what? Humans.

It's not clear to me how any of what you're arguing has anything to do with gay parents adopting.


Numbering response by your paragraph because I'm lazy right now:

1. When I say "postive" I'm referring to the fact that it assists in reproduction and survival of a speciest (talking evolution here). I'm not using it to say it's "preferrable."

2. One POSSIBLE explanation is that people are only "gay" when their surroundings enable it. In other words, it's more about an act of opportunity. I'm not saying this is the case, we really don't know enough about this. I'm just throwing out an alternative hypo.

3. I think I understand what you're saying, and I think it's interesting. But at the same time I'm not jumping into it without hesitation. My conscience says "that'd be really cool if that were true", but my brain is saying "I'm not sure that fully makes mathematical sense."

4. I'm not sure how hesitating at the idea of gay adoption constitutes eugenics. I'm not saying "Gays shouldn't reproduce" or "Gays should be massacred". I'm saying that I have reservations about them raising and nurturing kids which are not theirs. It's more social commentary than anything. I have no idea how you pulled eugenics out of that.

About the ethics comment: If a gay dude wants to bang a girl and have a kid and raise it, I have absolutely no objection to that. But toying with genetics to pass on genes that would otherwise die out by using artificial insemination concerns me. I find it unethical. Especially if this is a hereditary thing, as it creates compounding ethcial decisions in the future.


5/6. I'm not sure I fully understand it myself... there is a lot we don't know (surpisingly, given how long it has been around). Is it nurture? Is it nature? Is it a combination? How is it relevant? How does it affect the children?



In short, I support gay marriage because it's two consenting individuals... If they want that for themselves, all the power to them. However, I hesitate when a third party gets dragged into something like this when they have no say in it.


Your hesitancy for letting gay couples adopt is completely unfounded. There's a large amount of psychological studies on the issue and they all overwhelmingly point to the fact that gay couples can raise children just as well as (if not better than) heterosexual couples.
A sound mind in a sound body, is a short, but full description of a happy state in this World: he that has these two, has little more to wish for; and he that wants either of them, will be little the better for anything else.
Alay
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States660 Posts
February 16 2012 07:16 GMT
#563
On February 16 2012 11:58 ikl2 wrote:
It is unclear to me how 'x is not natural' (which is obviously false, but whatever) entails 'x is not good'. Does the opposite relationship hold? If x is natural, is x necessarily good? Also, your notion is 'natural' is mighty nebulous. It's not just things produced by nature, it's things produced by nature that are, uh, in line with your odd notion of 'proper world order'; you've suggested lots of things that are produced by nature are not necessarily good.


Computers aren't natural. I think they're pretty swell.


Good on Washington! Surprised there hasn't been a federal law on the deal yet, kind of depressing as an American.
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
February 16 2012 17:50 GMT
#564
On February 16 2012 13:52 GhandiEAGLE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 11:50 Whitewing wrote:
Great news for Washington, I'm so proud.


*high-fives fellow Washingtonian*

Let it be noted that Seattle played a huge part in this


Oh I'm from Massachusetts, but I'm still proud of my fellow awesome state.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Signet
Profile Joined March 2007
United States1718 Posts
February 18 2012 01:40 GMT
#565
On a related note, the Maryland legislature voted to legalize gay marriage today. Their governor has already said he supports it, so MD will become the next state to have marriage equality.

New Jersey's legislature also voted to legalize gay marriage, but today their governor vetoed it.
FIStarcraft
Profile Joined June 2011
United States154 Posts
February 18 2012 01:54 GMT
#566
On February 10 2012 08:46 Saltydizzle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2012 08:42 sunprince wrote:
On February 10 2012 07:51 Saltydizzle wrote:Im saying that it gives them the best chance. there is more than one way to skin a cat. The changes in society have caused divorce to be seen as "acceptable" which has turned the american family to shit. I don't believe in god or believe any story from the bible truly happened, but its all about the morals of the bible. The morals are the only thing to be taken seriously.


The "morals" of the bible tell us that working on Sunday is abomination and that you should stone anyone who does so. They tell us to stone to death any woman who has sex before marriage.

You really want to take those seriously?

You can mix my words all you want. But the morals in the bible are for the most part good. Obviously wars are all about religion but religion has its good sides. I don't believe any of the stories are real, but like greek mythology, there are lessons to be learned.

I'm sorry, but no.

You cannot pick and choose which verses of your holy book you accept, if you choose to "defend your religion" or whatever.
"sunny... sunny... sunny... OHGOD HURRICANE" - Haemonculus
Signet
Profile Joined March 2007
United States1718 Posts
February 18 2012 04:03 GMT
#567
With WA and MD counted, there are now 8 states + DC where gay marriage is legal, totaling 16% of the US population.

Long ways to go, but 7 years ago when something like 11 of 11 state ballot amendments banning gay marriage all passed, I never would have guessed that much progress would be made in a relatively short turnaround.
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
February 18 2012 07:52 GMT
#568
On February 18 2012 10:54 FIStarcraft wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2012 08:46 Saltydizzle wrote:
On February 10 2012 08:42 sunprince wrote:
On February 10 2012 07:51 Saltydizzle wrote:Im saying that it gives them the best chance. there is more than one way to skin a cat. The changes in society have caused divorce to be seen as "acceptable" which has turned the american family to shit. I don't believe in god or believe any story from the bible truly happened, but its all about the morals of the bible. The morals are the only thing to be taken seriously.


The "morals" of the bible tell us that working on Sunday is abomination and that you should stone anyone who does so. They tell us to stone to death any woman who has sex before marriage.

You really want to take those seriously?

You can mix my words all you want. But the morals in the bible are for the most part good. Obviously wars are all about religion but religion has its good sides. I don't believe any of the stories are real, but like greek mythology, there are lessons to be learned.

I'm sorry, but no.

You cannot pick and choose which verses of your holy book you accept, if you choose to "defend your religion" or whatever.


You can when you're not taking the translations literal. It's when you take it literal that picking your verses is extremely dangerous and ignorant. To take the bible metaphorically, you HAVE to pick and choose as there are contradictions all over.
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
February 18 2012 08:03 GMT
#569
On February 16 2012 16:16 Alay wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 11:58 ikl2 wrote:
It is unclear to me how 'x is not natural' (which is obviously false, but whatever) entails 'x is not good'. Does the opposite relationship hold? If x is natural, is x necessarily good? Also, your notion is 'natural' is mighty nebulous. It's not just things produced by nature, it's things produced by nature that are, uh, in line with your odd notion of 'proper world order'; you've suggested lots of things that are produced by nature are not necessarily good.


Computers aren't natural. I think they're pretty swell.


Good on Washington! Surprised there hasn't been a federal law on the deal yet, kind of depressing as an American.


Constitution doesn't allow the federal government to control this issue.
Prev 1 27 28 29 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O156
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 147
PiGStarcraft110
Nina 55
ViBE36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14309
ZZZero.O 156
Dewaltoss 129
firebathero 97
Hyuk 75
Terrorterran 24
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm101
febbydoto40
League of Legends
Doublelift3256
Counter-Strike
Fnx 796
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5821
Other Games
summit1g6584
FrodaN2333
fl0m781
mouzStarbuck407
KnowMe281
ToD232
JimRising 165
ArmadaUGS127
Mew2King43
Railgan33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1175
BasetradeTV177
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream93
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 56
• musti20045 27
• Adnapsc2 14
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen127
Other Games
• imaqtpie832
• Shiphtur219
• tFFMrPink 17
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 56m
INu's Battles
13h 56m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
16h 56m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 56m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 17h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.