• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:21
CEST 02:21
KST 09:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8629 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 47

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 69 Next
Nevermind86
Profile Joined August 2009
Somalia429 Posts
December 14 2011 13:44 GMT
#921
I have a question to mandarin speakers.

The mandarin in memrise is it the "mandarin international" that is spoken by over 700 million people in China or the "old mandarin" apparently spoken in Pekin (I have absolutely no idea, too lazzy to search on google) because I'm interested in the one that is spoken by everybody but obviously I cannot tell the difference.

I want to learn the simplified, modern mandarin international. It is worth it to start it on memrise? so far the webpage has been great for my french but I have no idea if it is as good for mandarin... plz somebody explain.

Interviewer: Many people hate you and would like to see you dead. How does that make you feel? Trevor Goodchild: Those people should get to know me a little better. Then they'd know I don't indulge in feelings.
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
December 15 2011 08:34 GMT
#922
Hey guys... I was away from the site for a few days and I had some plants ready to harvest at the time before getting incredibly busy.... anyway, not they are stuck in my "greenhouse" or short term memory, but I cannot water them, replant them or harvest them... that's in at least a couple wordlists... anyone else have similar problems or know what I should do?
ElvisWayCool
Profile Joined March 2010
United States437 Posts
December 15 2011 08:58 GMT
#923
I'm still using this site every now and then. Helping me learn some Spanish vocab before I take it next semester

And some Chinese for the eventual take over of the world
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
December 15 2011 12:52 GMT
#924
On December 15 2011 17:34 HotShizz wrote:
Hey guys... I was away from the site for a few days and I had some plants ready to harvest at the time before getting incredibly busy.... anyway, not they are stuck in my "greenhouse" or short term memory, but I cannot water them, replant them or harvest them... that's in at least a couple wordlists... anyone else have similar problems or know what I should do?


Hmmm. That's not good - what's your username? We'll take a look.
Jtom
Profile Joined January 2011
Ireland1044 Posts
December 16 2011 23:01 GMT
#925
TL-Jtom

This is a pretty cool website, will definitely be keeping up my French at least.
"Daddy, how did the Protossaurs go extinct?" "A giant EMP hit the earth" - Fionn
520
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2822 Posts
December 16 2011 23:19 GMT
#926
On December 13 2011 05:52 Abenson wrote:
Oooh
Joining now
TL-Abenson (Japanese)

What vocab list are you using for Japanese? I haven't been able to find a good one.
Writer
Nevermind86
Profile Joined August 2009
Somalia429 Posts
December 17 2011 00:13 GMT
#927
TO ANYBODY THAT READS THIS. IF YOU WANT TO LEARN SPANISH/ENGLISH AND SPEAK FRENCH, WE COULD HELP EACH OTHER, PM ME.

sorry for caps, I just need people to talk to that are natural french speakers. Livemocha people can be so boring.
Interviewer: Many people hate you and would like to see you dead. How does that make you feel? Trevor Goodchild: Those people should get to know me a little better. Then they'd know I don't indulge in feelings.
ulan-bat
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
China403 Posts
December 17 2011 00:37 GMT
#928
On December 14 2011 22:44 Nevermind86 wrote:
I have a question to mandarin speakers.

The mandarin in memrise is it the "mandarin international" that is spoken by over 700 million people in China or the "old mandarin" apparently spoken in Pekin (I have absolutely no idea, too lazzy to search on google) because I'm interested in the one that is spoken by everybody but obviously I cannot tell the difference.

I want to learn the simplified, modern mandarin international. It is worth it to start it on memrise? so far the webpage has been great for my french but I have no idea if it is as good for mandarin... plz somebody explain.


Well, simply put: mandarin is spoken (or at least understood) by the entire chinese (mainland) population (1.4 billion people). Memrise helps you learn the one and only mandarin.

If you're dealing with southern cities (hong-kong, shenzhen and guangzhou), you should learn some cantonese too.
If you want to live in china's countryside, you won't be able to learn the local dialect outside of the particular province.
"Short games, shorts, summer weather, those things bring the heat!" - EG.iNcontroL
Catch
Profile Joined September 2010
United States616 Posts
December 17 2011 01:24 GMT
#929
So I've been using this for about a week or two now to learn Italian.

I like the set up; plants, hear the word, see the word, the mems, the translated word to definition, the definition to translated word, the word to the (foreign) word, ect.

I've taken to also opening a notepad and writing out the word however many times I feel is necessary; helps with spelling and memory. Some are still hard to get though, but it's all part of the process. I'd highly recommend this, as it has helped me out tremendously.

The only suggestion I would have is to begin with basics first; I have la and il in a few words and not knowing which one to use sometimes throws me off. (il cane, la mucca, ect)

But really, this is the only thing I can really think of that truly bothers me. I know it is basically a vocabulary site, so I don't look too much for grammar. Having the different pronunciations is especially helpful. I've even started to develop my own Italian accent while speaking :D
Victory Loves Preparation
phantaxx
Profile Joined May 2010
United States201 Posts
December 17 2011 09:26 GMT
#930
Is this only for vocabulary? Knowing a bunch of words is nice but knowing how to structure sentences in addition would be even better. I have only spent a couple hours on it so far so I don't know fully how the sessions progress.
Nevermind86
Profile Joined August 2009
Somalia429 Posts
December 17 2011 18:25 GMT
#931
It took me a lot of years to learn english but because I didn't have a method to learn it, I just spent a lot of time in the internet and did very few lessons.

With french it's different, I'm learning pretty fast, the thing is I think that languages involve a lot of memorization and pronunciation before actually speaking the language, right now I stopped all lessons because even though they help, I though about it and the way little kids learn from their parents it's something more like memrise, hear the words over and over and pronounce them, once you know quite a few words and understand the meaning and pronunciation then it's time to learn the structure of sentences and verb conjugations, that way it's in my opinion easier to learn a language rather than the "old" method of learning pronoms and verb conjugations before throwing yourself in the deep waters of speaking, plus the memrise method could make you learn faster. My french pronunciation got better in about a month of using memrise and reading to the microphone than in a whole year of taking internet lessons and chatting and speaking with people over skype, because in memrise at least in french pronunciation is near perfect, while regular people don't necessarily pronounce their language correctly. (or spell it).
Interviewer: Many people hate you and would like to see you dead. How does that make you feel? Trevor Goodchild: Those people should get to know me a little better. Then they'd know I don't indulge in feelings.
FJ
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom321 Posts
December 18 2011 04:49 GMT
#932
Is anyone learning tagalog?
Disregard females, acquire vespene gas.
DueleR
Profile Joined May 2010
United States207 Posts
December 19 2011 01:24 GMT
#933
Pandaz I'm joining you in the top 100!
57 Corvette
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada5941 Posts
December 19 2011 01:36 GMT
#934
This is pretty cool, if I can get my hands on a Korean keyboard, I might actually try to start learning Korean.
Survival is winning, everything else is bullshit.
Pandaz
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia52 Posts
December 19 2011 01:43 GMT
#935
On December 19 2011 10:24 DueleR wrote:
Pandaz I'm joining you in the top 100!

Congratz! High five!
BuGzlToOnl
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States5918 Posts
December 19 2011 03:17 GMT
#936
tito.bugz @ memrise

... learning Mandarin and the cryllic alphabet.
If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.
VenomBRA
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands168 Posts
December 19 2011 13:12 GMT
#937
I have 644 words in my garden (Dutch - "The thousand most common words in Dutch"). Everytime I need to water one of them because they're wilting, I keep to be getting also a bunch of same words over and over. It seems to be a bug. I keep getting too many points because I never miss them, unless I do some typo and press enter without first checking if I wrote everything correctly, but this is seriously taking too much of my time, that I could be using to learn new words.

Another annoying thing is that, on the default view, i.e. the one I get after clicking on the email notifications, I can't plant more seeds when plants are wilting. But with a big garden, it's common that some plants will need water in between my "planting" of new seeds, which makes me stop the process to go water them. Only today I found that I can go straight to plant or water, from the language main page, like http://www.memrise.com/set/277/dutch/
"We got a lot of nothing to say"
LioRawr
Profile Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-21 07:06:45
December 20 2011 17:11 GMT
#938
Alright, joining you guys, too.

TL-Lio there, learning Finnish & Norwegian. A little bit of Latin, too, as I'll need it in university next year

So: TL-Lio (Finnish, Norwegian, Latin)
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-22 14:18:34
December 22 2011 12:01 GMT
#939
Hey guys,

We're working on something new, and I wondered whether you'd be willing to try it and let us know what you think.

It's a course for teaching the Korean alphabet.

http://www.memrise.com/cave/?iset=learn-the-korean-alphabet&plant_filter=planting&ltemplatename=plant

This is just an early version, so we'd really like to hear what you like and what you don't like. As usual, feel free to add some mems if you come up with anything cool.

Great stuff, and thank you, TL!

Yours,
Greg
Memrise co-founder

P.S. We have a separate set of Korean courses for learning words, but those currently require you to type in Korean, so there's a bit of a jump between the alphabet course and the word courses...
kestry
Profile Joined June 2011
United States4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-22 23:11:07
December 22 2011 23:08 GMT
#940
On December 19 2011 10:36 57 Corvette wrote:
This is pretty cool, if I can get my hands on a Korean keyboard, I might actually try to start learning Korean.


Highly recommend this site on quickly learning how to type in Korean without a special keyboard.
Page 2 has mnemonics (I just used the consonant side when I first learned),
Page 3 has patterns that show how logically Korean is set up. Started typing in less than 30minutes (albeit, very slowly T_T).
Page 1 has links on how to setup Korean.

http://www.cjkboard.com/kboard2.html (link is to page 2)
[image loading]
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 211
SpeCial 130
ViBE100
Nathanias 77
ProTech29
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12035
Rain 1457
GuemChi 945
Artosis 682
Bale 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever393
Counter-Strike
minikerr3
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox811
Mew2King92
Other Games
summit1g6362
shahzam666
WinterStarcraft480
JimRising 415
C9.Mang0305
Trikslyr52
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick730
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 91
• davetesta17
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur301
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 39m
INu's Battles
10h 39m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
12h 39m
OSC
21h 54m
Replay Cast
22h 39m
OSC
1d 22h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.