• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:28
CEST 07:28
KST 14:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9158 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 46

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 69 Next
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
December 11 2011 17:28 GMT
#901
On December 10 2011 02:02 Daigomi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2011 23:56 gregdetre wrote:
On December 09 2011 21:50 Hertzy wrote:
I wish there was a way for the system to differentiate between word classes like adjectives, nouns and verbs. I've faced a couple of multiple choice questions asking for a verb with precisely one verb in the choices.

Also, the on-site forum is bugged for me again.


Hmmm - I'm sorry to hear that. We're going to have to look into the forum issues. We're using Disqus, but it may be that that's causing problems. Can you say anything about your username, browser and url that are giving you trouble?

Personally, I can see comments on Chrome but not on Opera. I don't think it's Disqus since many of the tech websites (engadget/techcrunch) use it as well, and I can see comments quite easily there.

Regarding the redesign, I'm not mad about it. It feels like I have to go through multiple pages to reach things which used to be available on the dashboard. Planting seeds is the most annoying one so far, especially after you finish planting seeds.



I am in eMail contact with one of the memrise guys and mentioned the above, he said they will try to change it. A quick workaround is to water all your plants, then instead of the 'water' button, you will get a 'grow your greenhouse' one.
Here be Dragons
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
December 11 2011 22:41 GMT
#902
I love this site. Currently using it to learn Chinese. Its very easy to learn the basics of it as most words is a drawing that resembles something.

Though I would also love to use it to learn Korean, its giving me a hard time with several things. Firstly most words are several letters, and you never learn what the characters themselves mean. and secondly it keeps bothering me to type in the answers in Korean, when I have no idea how to even type in Korean. On top of that it slaps on an incredibly small timer, just to make sure there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to make it in time without using google translate or something of the sort. Which sort of defeats the purpose.
ZeroChrome
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1001 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-12 00:53:04
December 12 2011 00:48 GMT
#903
On December 12 2011 07:41 Excludos wrote:
I love this site. Currently using it to learn Chinese. Its very easy to learn the basics of it as most words is a drawing that resembles something.

Though I would also love to use it to learn Korean, its giving me a hard time with several things. Firstly most words are several letters, and you never learn what the characters themselves mean. and secondly it keeps bothering me to type in the answers in Korean, when I have no idea how to even type in Korean. On top of that it slaps on an incredibly small timer, just to make sure there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to make it in time without using google translate or something of the sort. Which sort of defeats the purpose.


Maybe you should learn how to read and write before you start trying to learn the language via a text based service. Hangul is a very easy alphabet and will only take you a few hours of study to learn. There are plenty of tutorial videos on youtube for you to use.
Forward
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
December 12 2011 00:57 GMT
#904
On December 12 2011 07:41 Excludos wrote:
I love this site. Currently using it to learn Chinese. Its very easy to learn the basics of it as most words is a drawing that resembles something.

Though I would also love to use it to learn Korean, its giving me a hard time with several things. Firstly most words are several letters, and you never learn what the characters themselves mean. and secondly it keeps bothering me to type in the answers in Korean, when I have no idea how to even type in Korean. On top of that it slaps on an incredibly small timer, just to make sure there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to make it in time without using google translate or something of the sort. Which sort of defeats the purpose.


[I'm the Memrise CTO]

Hey there. I'm really happy to hear that Memrise is working for you for Mandarin, and I'm sorry to hear that the Korean experience isn't yet as good. We're aware of this, and working to improve how it works. If you want to get in touch with ben@, he's in charge of developing our content and making sure that our teams of volunteers have the tools they need to make things awesome.

It'll probably take us some time to figure out a great solution, but I hope you'll stick with us through that and help us figure out a plan.

Yours,
Greg
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
December 12 2011 09:47 GMT
#905
I'm liking the new layout for the most part I think... there is still one word in Italian that I cannot get to water properly Il Pesce, I've done all the commenting I can but it wont go away

Anyway, congrats to TL Pandaz! First TLer in all time top 100!! I'm still 180,000 points away from 100th but eventually I must get there too! TL all the way... by the way, top 20 TL day, I am down for!
Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
December 12 2011 09:53 GMT
#906
I have learnt around 250 weirdo english words in about... 1-2 months maybe? I find this site really good anyways. Are there any plans of creating a TL top something yet? I guess we'd have to aim for the daily ones but it would be fun.
I am Latedi.
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
December 12 2011 10:36 GMT
#907
i think the top people are not getting their points from learning, but from their mems being used, or possibly insane grinding. Last time I checked any of the top10 people all time, they had hardly any new words learned, but plenty of mems created.
Here be Dragons
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
December 12 2011 13:41 GMT
#908
On December 12 2011 09:57 gregdetre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2011 07:41 Excludos wrote:
I love this site. Currently using it to learn Chinese. Its very easy to learn the basics of it as most words is a drawing that resembles something.

Though I would also love to use it to learn Korean, its giving me a hard time with several things. Firstly most words are several letters, and you never learn what the characters themselves mean. and secondly it keeps bothering me to type in the answers in Korean, when I have no idea how to even type in Korean. On top of that it slaps on an incredibly small timer, just to make sure there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to make it in time without using google translate or something of the sort. Which sort of defeats the purpose.


[I'm the Memrise CTO]

Hey there. I'm really happy to hear that Memrise is working for you for Mandarin, and I'm sorry to hear that the Korean experience isn't yet as good. We're aware of this, and working to improve how it works. If you want to get in touch with ben@, he's in charge of developing our content and making sure that our teams of volunteers have the tools they need to make things awesome.

It'll probably take us some time to figure out a great solution, but I hope you'll stick with us through that and help us figure out a plan.

Yours,
Greg


Oh don't get me wrong. The site is incredibly awesome, and I know its more of a work in progress for most of the languages. The guy a few posts above is probably right in saying I need to learn the Korean alphabet first. If that could be incorporated into this site it would really just be the topping of the ice of this already brilliant site
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
December 12 2011 15:00 GMT
#909
On December 12 2011 22:41 Excludos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2011 09:57 gregdetre wrote:
On December 12 2011 07:41 Excludos wrote:
I love this site. Currently using it to learn Chinese. Its very easy to learn the basics of it as most words is a drawing that resembles something.

Though I would also love to use it to learn Korean, its giving me a hard time with several things. Firstly most words are several letters, and you never learn what the characters themselves mean. and secondly it keeps bothering me to type in the answers in Korean, when I have no idea how to even type in Korean. On top of that it slaps on an incredibly small timer, just to make sure there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to make it in time without using google translate or something of the sort. Which sort of defeats the purpose.


[I'm the Memrise CTO]

Hey there. I'm really happy to hear that Memrise is working for you for Mandarin, and I'm sorry to hear that the Korean experience isn't yet as good. We're aware of this, and working to improve how it works. If you want to get in touch with ben@, he's in charge of developing our content and making sure that our teams of volunteers have the tools they need to make things awesome.

It'll probably take us some time to figure out a great solution, but I hope you'll stick with us through that and help us figure out a plan.

Yours,
Greg


Oh don't get me wrong. The site is incredibly awesome, and I know its more of a work in progress for most of the languages. The guy a few posts above is probably right in saying I need to learn the Korean alphabet first. If that could be incorporated into this site it would really just be the topping of the ice of this already brilliant site


We were just having a chat within the company about alphabets. That would be huge fun, and potentially really helpful. Once we get the iPhone app out the door, and a few other bits and bobs, it might be time to think about that

Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
December 12 2011 17:50 GMT
#910
ha, I ran into a nice bug right now. I typed a word correctly, it gave me 50 points, and displayed it afterwards, like if I had made a mistake. I hit 'enter' for next, I get a new orange Icon, asking the same word again, and some text about 'looking for the right pronounciation. After getting two errors in a row, typing the correct spelling ('ser' and 'no' are not that hard...), I just closed that session.
Here be Dragons
bmml
Profile Joined December 2009
United Kingdom962 Posts
December 12 2011 18:30 GMT
#911
I'm getting that issue too Rimstalker, no idea if its a feature i dont understand but it seems pretty bugged right now.

Would've been nice if they said something though, maybe some decent instructions to this random new pronounciation task.
Atlas247
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada318 Posts
December 12 2011 18:45 GMT
#912
Learning mandarin currently, i love this site
Windex Banana Lampshade
kikimama
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)297 Posts
December 12 2011 18:52 GMT
#913
Is the site bugged atm? It says I have no plants but I've been using the site for a month.
VenomBRA
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands168 Posts
December 12 2011 20:46 GMT
#914
What is this "type the pronounciation"? I'm getting this for the first time learning Dutch and can't figure out what to type. There is no definition on the pronounciation (which I found) and I keep getting it wrong. Is it a new feature?

Is anyone also getting this for another language? Yesterday it was fine, now it keeps asking me for pronounciation after I review my "wilting plants", which I have no clue what should be types.
"We got a lot of nothing to say"
Abenson
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada4122 Posts
December 12 2011 20:52 GMT
#915
Oooh
Joining now
TL-Abenson (Japanese)
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
December 12 2011 21:10 GMT
#916
On December 13 2011 05:46 VenomBRA wrote:
What is this "type the pronounciation"? I'm getting this for the first time learning Dutch and can't figure out what to type. There is no definition on the pronounciation (which I found) and I keep getting it wrong. Is it a new feature?

Is anyone also getting this for another language? Yesterday it was fine, now it keeps asking me for pronounciation after I review my "wilting plants", which I have no clue what should be types.


yes, two of us reported that about 4 posts above yours. It started a couple of hours ago.
Here be Dragons
AndersHolm
Profile Joined December 2011
Denmark2 Posts
December 12 2011 21:28 GMT
#917
Ive been enjoying this for quite a while - what a great site! Also, huge thanks to the guy who mentioned KhanAcademy, very addictive and informative !
DueleR
Profile Joined May 2010
United States207 Posts
December 12 2011 21:59 GMT
#918
On December 12 2011 18:47 HotShizz wrote:
I'm liking the new layout for the most part I think... there is still one word in Italian that I cannot get to water properly Il Pesce, I've done all the commenting I can but it wont go away

Anyway, congrats to TL Pandaz! First TLer in all time top 100!! I'm still 180,000 points away from 100th but eventually I must get there too! TL all the way... by the way, top 20 TL day, I am down for!


i'm down for top 20 TL day as well I joined last week and have 407k points now...my goal was to finish every day as #1 on the daily leaderboard while also learning 80 new words of french a day. so far i have fallen short a little bit but still having a ton of fun (and it's great to see all your names here! - I try to highfive every TL person I see...)

GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
December 12 2011 22:01 GMT
#919
Hmmm, a lot of good feedback, will probably give it a shot.
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
Pandaz
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia52 Posts
December 13 2011 04:36 GMT
#920
On December 12 2011 18:47 HotShizz wrote:
I'm liking the new layout for the most part I think... there is still one word in Italian that I cannot get to water properly Il Pesce, I've done all the commenting I can but it wont go away

Anyway, congrats to TL Pandaz! First TLer in all time top 100!! I'm still 180,000 points away from 100th but eventually I must get there too! TL all the way... by the way, top 20 TL day, I am down for!


<3 Thanks!
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech137
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 4521
Rain 1805
GuemChi 577
FanTaSy 347
sSak 50
Bale 39
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm204
Fuzer 32
League of Legends
JimRising 655
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1178
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King296
Other Games
summit1g8058
WinterStarcraft599
C9.Mang0152
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick915
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2147
League of Legends
• Lourlo1192
• Rush922
• Stunt454
Other Games
• Shiphtur826
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
4h 32m
INu's Battles
5h 32m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
7h 32m
OSC
16h 47m
Replay Cast
17h 32m
OSC
1d 17h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.