• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:17
CEST 15:17
KST 22:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8674 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 33

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 69 Next
ulan-bat
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
China403 Posts
November 10 2011 04:13 GMT
#641
On November 10 2011 12:14 Yenticha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 09:32 Hemula wrote:
On November 10 2011 07:02 Kaiwa wrote:
On November 10 2011 06:16 gregdetre wrote:
On November 10 2011 04:29 Kaiwa wrote:
I don't know what is going on but now I have to write words in English from Korean instead of the other way around? This basically eliminated all the usefulness from this site for me. Is there a fix or setting I can do to get my Korean typing questions back?


[Memrise co-founder here]

Hey, this was a deliberate switch on our part. We knew that people were having trouble typing Korean, so we flipped a switch that reverses the directionality of typing tests, so you'd be typing in English rather than Korean.

It sounds like the particular problem this caused was in cases like 'half / class' (where a Korean word has multiple English meanings) - you were being marked incorrect if you typed only 'half' or only 'class'.

We can fix this so that it allows either 'half' or 'class' in future, but it might take a day or so to get right. Once we've done that, we might switch it back so you type in English, to make it easier for beginners.

Sorry for any frustration caused,

Yours,
Greg


This is actually not the problem I have an issue with. I liked the system based on the fact that I had to type the Korean instead of the English both testing my ability to remember the way it is written and the Korean itself.

It should be possible to allow each individual user to choose the direction of the translation. Having to type the word in English is for me a big disappointment. I hope you do consider this option.

Jordy

I totally agree with Jordy here, please let us choose. I prefer writing answers in korean.


same for Chinese. Please allow us to choose between learning with pronunciation/pinyin and actual characters.

You have to keep in mind that any word with more than one character will be guessed by your computer 90% of the time. You'll just type the pinyin and get the characters automagically selected. Feels like cheating ;-)
"Short games, shorts, summer weather, those things bring the heat!" - EG.iNcontroL
KazeHydra
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan2788 Posts
November 10 2011 04:36 GMT
#642
On November 10 2011 13:13 ulan-bat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 12:14 Yenticha wrote:
On November 10 2011 09:32 Hemula wrote:
On November 10 2011 07:02 Kaiwa wrote:
On November 10 2011 06:16 gregdetre wrote:
On November 10 2011 04:29 Kaiwa wrote:
I don't know what is going on but now I have to write words in English from Korean instead of the other way around? This basically eliminated all the usefulness from this site for me. Is there a fix or setting I can do to get my Korean typing questions back?


[Memrise co-founder here]

Hey, this was a deliberate switch on our part. We knew that people were having trouble typing Korean, so we flipped a switch that reverses the directionality of typing tests, so you'd be typing in English rather than Korean.

It sounds like the particular problem this caused was in cases like 'half / class' (where a Korean word has multiple English meanings) - you were being marked incorrect if you typed only 'half' or only 'class'.

We can fix this so that it allows either 'half' or 'class' in future, but it might take a day or so to get right. Once we've done that, we might switch it back so you type in English, to make it easier for beginners.

Sorry for any frustration caused,

Yours,
Greg


This is actually not the problem I have an issue with. I liked the system based on the fact that I had to type the Korean instead of the English both testing my ability to remember the way it is written and the Korean itself.

It should be possible to allow each individual user to choose the direction of the translation. Having to type the word in English is for me a big disappointment. I hope you do consider this option.

Jordy

I totally agree with Jordy here, please let us choose. I prefer writing answers in korean.


same for Chinese. Please allow us to choose between learning with pronunciation/pinyin and actual characters.

You have to keep in mind that any word with more than one character will be guessed by your computer 90% of the time. You'll just type the pinyin and get the characters automagically selected. Feels like cheating ;-)

Yup this is the exact problem I have with Japanese. Typing in kanji when my computer does all the work doesn't teach me anything. For one reason or another, I almost always get asked to write the kanji of words which really doesn't help me since I already know hirigana and katakana so in the end my computer does 95% of the work =/
"Because I know this promise that won’t disappear will turn even a cause of tears into strength. You taught me that if I can believe, there is nothing that cannot come true." - Nana Mizuki (Yakusoku) 17:36 ils kaze got me into nana 17:36 ils by his blog
contraSol
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States185 Posts
November 10 2011 05:02 GMT
#643
I'm in!

TL-contraSol (Korean, Spanish)
Yenticha
Profile Joined July 2010
257 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 05:09:49
November 10 2011 05:06 GMT
#644
On November 10 2011 13:36 KazeHydra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 13:13 ulan-bat wrote:
On November 10 2011 12:14 Yenticha wrote:
On November 10 2011 09:32 Hemula wrote:
On November 10 2011 07:02 Kaiwa wrote:
On November 10 2011 06:16 gregdetre wrote:
On November 10 2011 04:29 Kaiwa wrote:
I don't know what is going on but now I have to write words in English from Korean instead of the other way around? This basically eliminated all the usefulness from this site for me. Is there a fix or setting I can do to get my Korean typing questions back?


[Memrise co-founder here]

Hey, this was a deliberate switch on our part. We knew that people were having trouble typing Korean, so we flipped a switch that reverses the directionality of typing tests, so you'd be typing in English rather than Korean.

It sounds like the particular problem this caused was in cases like 'half / class' (where a Korean word has multiple English meanings) - you were being marked incorrect if you typed only 'half' or only 'class'.

We can fix this so that it allows either 'half' or 'class' in future, but it might take a day or so to get right. Once we've done that, we might switch it back so you type in English, to make it easier for beginners.

Sorry for any frustration caused,

Yours,
Greg


This is actually not the problem I have an issue with. I liked the system based on the fact that I had to type the Korean instead of the English both testing my ability to remember the way it is written and the Korean itself.

It should be possible to allow each individual user to choose the direction of the translation. Having to type the word in English is for me a big disappointment. I hope you do consider this option.

Jordy

I totally agree with Jordy here, please let us choose. I prefer writing answers in korean.


same for Chinese. Please allow us to choose between learning with pronunciation/pinyin and actual characters.

You have to keep in mind that any word with more than one character will be guessed by your computer 90% of the time. You'll just type the pinyin and get the characters automagically selected. Feels like cheating ;-)

Yup this is the exact problem I have with Japanese. Typing in kanji when my computer does all the work doesn't teach me anything. For one reason or another, I almost always get asked to write the kanji of words which really doesn't help me since I already know hirigana and katakana so in the end my computer does 95% of the work =/


Yes, it is "cheating". BUT, it is very different from being quizzed on pronunciation only. The big difference being: Reading!
The reason why it matters to me: I am living in TW right now, and my priorities are, in this order:
1.speaking/listening
2.reading
3.typing on a computer (sort of related to my job)
30948039480979.writing in characters (like, with a real pen). I know its better to be able to really write, but that would probably more than double the time/effort I put in learning (traditional) Chinese. And it would not be very useful.

So, the "pronunciation only" way of learning Chinese that is now the way used by memrise is kind of ruining my #2 priority

edit: and I'm taking classes irl on the side, so I do learn how to write. But thats also not really the teachers priority
Zeralith
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
20 Posts
November 10 2011 05:07 GMT
#645
I'll check it out! TL-Zeralith (Chinese, German)
Pandaz
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia52 Posts
November 10 2011 05:12 GMT
#646
It's still counting anything as correct, really annoying Guess I'll just keep doing new words till that gets fixed..
Baobab
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)153 Posts
November 10 2011 05:35 GMT
#647
Is the site down for anyone else? It's not loading properly in IE - I just get random bits of text. I thought it was IE's fault, so I downloaded Firefox, but it doesn't seem to be working on there either.
한국어 배우고 있어요 ... 너무 어려우니까 도와주세요 ㅋㅋㅋ
TheKwas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Iceland372 Posts
November 10 2011 05:38 GMT
#648
On November 10 2011 01:56 Hemula wrote:
Also, there is a mistake I noticed in the TOPIK dictionary, where 부엌 is written as 부옼, it is not something awful, but it bothers me as some might learn it wrong... I wrote about that at the TOPIK's discussion thread but I doubt that author will come to this website soon. I think I need to ignore the TOPIK list, and focus on the Masters one, which looks more reliable to me.

Yeah I noticed that one as well. At first I was confused because it seemed wrong but I couldn't remember exactly off the top of my head. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Hey, this was a deliberate switch on our part. We knew that people were having trouble typing Korean, so we flipped a switch that reverses the directionality of typing tests, so you'd be typing in English rather than Korean.

...

Once we've done that, we might switch it back so you type in English, to make it easier for beginners.

Sorry for any frustration caused,


With all due respect, I have to vote against this idea. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm lucky enough to have a Korean keyboard, but the Korean alphabet is extremely phonetic-friendly, so I feel like if you can't type the word in Korean, you probably don't know how to pronouce it correctly either. The typing Korean part is one of my favourite aspects of this program. I would suggest a longer time interval to write the word so that beginners have more time to find their way around the Korean keyboard by trial and error.

Or post an image of the Korean-English keyboard somewhere during writing tests so that beginners can quickly identify where their desired letter is.
TheKwas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Iceland372 Posts
November 10 2011 05:57 GMT
#649
Double-post:

I'm currently experiancing a bug where no matter what I write for Korean, it counts it as correct and awards me 50 points.




I'm not a moral man, don't let me farm this to the top of the leader boards ^^
Bair
Profile Joined May 2010
United States698 Posts
November 10 2011 05:58 GMT
#650
On November 10 2011 07:44 mAgixWTF wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 07:33 Bair wrote:
A quick question about Memrise. Does this teach pronunciation or the like? Or is this purely vocab with some grammar?


just check it out! its free and not too timeconsuming (and fun)


Was trying out some russian, but decided to stop after there was nothing telling me about individual characters or pronunciation o.O Just plain words, which does me little good...
In Roaches I Rust.
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
November 10 2011 05:59 GMT
#651
Learned 100 word in the past 5 days in preparation for my SAT! Brain so fried!
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
Azzur
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia6267 Posts
November 10 2011 06:03 GMT
#652
Always always been wanting to learn mandarin. Signed up as TL-Azzur!

Thanks so much for introducing this site to me!

They makers so the site must be wondering who's all these TL people :p
DarkSider
Profile Joined June 2008
Romania66 Posts
November 10 2011 06:44 GMT
#653
Didn't read all the posts but a couple of bugs i noticed:

- When you go on dashboard, choose a wordlist and there are no more seeds in it it tells you to water your garden. If you click that a new page opens with link " javascript:$('#garden-tab').click(); "
- When the english and german word are same ie 'august' it gives an error (works if you answer der august tho)
- there are bugs when you try to atach a photo to your profile or when you want to edit a wordlist and atach a photo (works if you select it as you create the wordlist)


And suggestions:
- When you learn a new word it's ok to have to select it from a group of 4, but later when you kinda learned it, you should have to type it alot more frequently instead of choosing from a group. It's easy to select it but i'm not sure i can write right all the words i learned so far .. and that's just over 100.

- As German has some complex words i could use more than just 10 seconds to select the word from the group of 4. It's fairly easy to choose the right word in under 10 seconds if that is your aim as you could be asked if tag = summer or day or fish or satellite, but as i want to deepen that word in my memory i want to think of my answer first and then select it from the list OR once i gave my answer in under 10 seconds there is a "go to next word" button so i can take my time and visualise the last word and break it into fragments and remember the meanings. For example tagesanbruch = day is on break = daybreak = dawn , you can't digest it if you don't think of it for a minute and type it a few times.

- We could use some thumbs up/down on wordlists, there are many "test" or "basic words" wordlists in which you read the most obscure words ever. ALso sort them by popularity instead of size or have option to sort them in 1 of the 2 ways.
Suc
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia1569 Posts
November 10 2011 07:51 GMT
#654
Yeah, as I posted before, now in JPLT N2, like Korean wordshowers.com, you can just spam enter or enter literally whatever you want and it will still mark you as correct.
evantrees
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada497 Posts
November 10 2011 07:57 GMT
#655
TL-evantrees see how little french I remember from school ,try and learn some hungarian again, and maybe give japanese a shot.
rejection and peace tiramisu. I think that went well.
ulan-bat
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
China403 Posts
November 10 2011 08:22 GMT
#656
On November 10 2011 14:06 Yenticha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 13:36 KazeHydra wrote:
On November 10 2011 13:13 ulan-bat wrote:
On November 10 2011 12:14 Yenticha wrote:
On November 10 2011 09:32 Hemula wrote:
On November 10 2011 07:02 Kaiwa wrote:
On November 10 2011 06:16 gregdetre wrote:
On November 10 2011 04:29 Kaiwa wrote:
I don't know what is going on but now I have to write words in English from Korean instead of the other way around? This basically eliminated all the usefulness from this site for me. Is there a fix or setting I can do to get my Korean typing questions back?


[Memrise co-founder here]

Hey, this was a deliberate switch on our part. We knew that people were having trouble typing Korean, so we flipped a switch that reverses the directionality of typing tests, so you'd be typing in English rather than Korean.

It sounds like the particular problem this caused was in cases like 'half / class' (where a Korean word has multiple English meanings) - you were being marked incorrect if you typed only 'half' or only 'class'.

We can fix this so that it allows either 'half' or 'class' in future, but it might take a day or so to get right. Once we've done that, we might switch it back so you type in English, to make it easier for beginners.

Sorry for any frustration caused,

Yours,
Greg


This is actually not the problem I have an issue with. I liked the system based on the fact that I had to type the Korean instead of the English both testing my ability to remember the way it is written and the Korean itself.

It should be possible to allow each individual user to choose the direction of the translation. Having to type the word in English is for me a big disappointment. I hope you do consider this option.

Jordy

I totally agree with Jordy here, please let us choose. I prefer writing answers in korean.


same for Chinese. Please allow us to choose between learning with pronunciation/pinyin and actual characters.

You have to keep in mind that any word with more than one character will be guessed by your computer 90% of the time. You'll just type the pinyin and get the characters automagically selected. Feels like cheating ;-)

Yup this is the exact problem I have with Japanese. Typing in kanji when my computer does all the work doesn't teach me anything. For one reason or another, I almost always get asked to write the kanji of words which really doesn't help me since I already know hirigana and katakana so in the end my computer does 95% of the work =/


Yes, it is "cheating". BUT, it is very different from being quizzed on pronunciation only. The big difference being: Reading!


Well if you're really trying to learn how to read, you're better off reading a real text and not a wordlist (for grammar etc). Or type on you phone. At least I know mine doesn't guess groups of characters. You have to choose each and every one of them which makes it a lot less like cheating (and is not that convenient really).
"Short games, shorts, summer weather, those things bring the heat!" - EG.iNcontroL
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 08:35:02
November 10 2011 08:33 GMT
#657
On November 10 2011 15:03 Azzur wrote:
Always always been wanting to learn mandarin. Signed up as TL-Azzur!

Thanks so much for introducing this site to me!

They makers so the site must be wondering who's all these TL people :p

If you made your time to read the OP i think you'd guess that the founder of this site is a Grandmaster player. :p
But yeah, thank you for this site. It's always good to remember the old spanish words... And givin those asian's gibberish a shot ! :D

Edit : Wait now that i mention it, i'm not sure if that's actually the Grandmaster from sc2, or some diploma ? oO My bad if I got it wrong then !
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
Yenticha
Profile Joined July 2010
257 Posts
November 10 2011 08:46 GMT
#658
On November 10 2011 17:22 ulan-bat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 14:06 Yenticha wrote:
On November 10 2011 13:36 KazeHydra wrote:
On November 10 2011 13:13 ulan-bat wrote:
On November 10 2011 12:14 Yenticha wrote:
On November 10 2011 09:32 Hemula wrote:
On November 10 2011 07:02 Kaiwa wrote:
On November 10 2011 06:16 gregdetre wrote:
On November 10 2011 04:29 Kaiwa wrote:
I don't know what is going on but now I have to write words in English from Korean instead of the other way around? This basically eliminated all the usefulness from this site for me. Is there a fix or setting I can do to get my Korean typing questions back?


[Memrise co-founder here]

Hey, this was a deliberate switch on our part. We knew that people were having trouble typing Korean, so we flipped a switch that reverses the directionality of typing tests, so you'd be typing in English rather than Korean.

It sounds like the particular problem this caused was in cases like 'half / class' (where a Korean word has multiple English meanings) - you were being marked incorrect if you typed only 'half' or only 'class'.

We can fix this so that it allows either 'half' or 'class' in future, but it might take a day or so to get right. Once we've done that, we might switch it back so you type in English, to make it easier for beginners.

Sorry for any frustration caused,

Yours,
Greg


This is actually not the problem I have an issue with. I liked the system based on the fact that I had to type the Korean instead of the English both testing my ability to remember the way it is written and the Korean itself.

It should be possible to allow each individual user to choose the direction of the translation. Having to type the word in English is for me a big disappointment. I hope you do consider this option.

Jordy

I totally agree with Jordy here, please let us choose. I prefer writing answers in korean.


same for Chinese. Please allow us to choose between learning with pronunciation/pinyin and actual characters.

You have to keep in mind that any word with more than one character will be guessed by your computer 90% of the time. You'll just type the pinyin and get the characters automagically selected. Feels like cheating ;-)

Yup this is the exact problem I have with Japanese. Typing in kanji when my computer does all the work doesn't teach me anything. For one reason or another, I almost always get asked to write the kanji of words which really doesn't help me since I already know hirigana and katakana so in the end my computer does 95% of the work =/


Yes, it is "cheating". BUT, it is very different from being quizzed on pronunciation only. The big difference being: Reading!


Well if you're really trying to learn how to read, you're better off reading a real text and not a wordlist (for grammar etc). Or type on you phone. At least I know mine doesn't guess groups of characters. You have to choose each and every one of them which makes it a lot less like cheating (and is not that convenient really).


Of course. The point is not that memrise with the reading option on (instead of the pronunciation option) is the best way ever to learn. The point is that for me (and, I think, for many other peole here trying to learn an asian language), reading option >> pronunciation option.
And as I said, I have other learning sources right now (real life in TW, local friends, classes irl, book with actual texts in it, etc). I like memrise because its an easy way for me to "cultivate" my memory of Chinese characters, mostly on the reading side of things. That's a simple yet very important purpose.
As for the grammar, I dont know what your native language is, but in my eyes, Chinese has "no grammar". Most words are really straight forward to use. And the little grammar I need, I learn it in real life class, or with my friends.
Also, most Taiwanese people are amazed even if you speak broken Chinese, and they understand you anyway.
JoFritzMD
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia163 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 09:36:10
November 10 2011 08:54 GMT
#659
So I just jumped on memrise and decided to try harvesting some of the plants thatI was having difficulty memorising before. The first one I managed to get straigt away despite being a bit unsure, so that felt good. Then I went on to the next one and had no idea so without entering anything I just pressed next. That one went green and I got 50 points. Same with the next one...and the one after. Am I the only one having this happen?

I'm not sure where to report this seeing as their forums are spam filled.

Also if Greg is still reading this thread, is there a way to use this offline and if not are there plans to make an offline version? I travel a lot and it would be a great way to kill time while travelling.
"Guess what. All my strategies are made of balls." - Tasteless
ulan-bat
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
China403 Posts
November 10 2011 09:02 GMT
#660
On November 10 2011 17:46 Yenticha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 17:22 ulan-bat wrote:
On November 10 2011 14:06 Yenticha wrote:
On November 10 2011 13:36 KazeHydra wrote:
On November 10 2011 13:13 ulan-bat wrote:
On November 10 2011 12:14 Yenticha wrote:
On November 10 2011 09:32 Hemula wrote:
On November 10 2011 07:02 Kaiwa wrote:
On November 10 2011 06:16 gregdetre wrote:
On November 10 2011 04:29 Kaiwa wrote:
I don't know what is going on but now I have to write words in English from Korean instead of the other way around? This basically eliminated all the usefulness from this site for me. Is there a fix or setting I can do to get my Korean typing questions back?


[Memrise co-founder here]

Hey, this was a deliberate switch on our part. We knew that people were having trouble typing Korean, so we flipped a switch that reverses the directionality of typing tests, so you'd be typing in English rather than Korean.

It sounds like the particular problem this caused was in cases like 'half / class' (where a Korean word has multiple English meanings) - you were being marked incorrect if you typed only 'half' or only 'class'.

We can fix this so that it allows either 'half' or 'class' in future, but it might take a day or so to get right. Once we've done that, we might switch it back so you type in English, to make it easier for beginners.

Sorry for any frustration caused,

Yours,
Greg


This is actually not the problem I have an issue with. I liked the system based on the fact that I had to type the Korean instead of the English both testing my ability to remember the way it is written and the Korean itself.

It should be possible to allow each individual user to choose the direction of the translation. Having to type the word in English is for me a big disappointment. I hope you do consider this option.

Jordy

I totally agree with Jordy here, please let us choose. I prefer writing answers in korean.


same for Chinese. Please allow us to choose between learning with pronunciation/pinyin and actual characters.

You have to keep in mind that any word with more than one character will be guessed by your computer 90% of the time. You'll just type the pinyin and get the characters automagically selected. Feels like cheating ;-)

Yup this is the exact problem I have with Japanese. Typing in kanji when my computer does all the work doesn't teach me anything. For one reason or another, I almost always get asked to write the kanji of words which really doesn't help me since I already know hirigana and katakana so in the end my computer does 95% of the work =/


Yes, it is "cheating". BUT, it is very different from being quizzed on pronunciation only. The big difference being: Reading!


Well if you're really trying to learn how to read, you're better off reading a real text and not a wordlist (for grammar etc). Or type on you phone. At least I know mine doesn't guess groups of characters. You have to choose each and every one of them which makes it a lot less like cheating (and is not that convenient really).


Of course. The point is not that memrise with the reading option on (instead of the pronunciation option) is the best way ever to learn. The point is that for me (and, I think, for many other peole here trying to learn an asian language), reading option >> pronunciation option.
And as I said, I have other learning sources right now (real life in TW, local friends, classes irl, book with actual texts in it, etc). I like memrise because its an easy way for me to "cultivate" my memory of Chinese characters, mostly on the reading side of things. That's a simple yet very important purpose.
As for the grammar, I dont know what your native language is, but in my eyes, Chinese has "no grammar". Most words are really straight forward to use. And the little grammar I need, I learn it in real life class, or with my friends.
Also, most Taiwanese people are amazed even if you speak broken Chinese, and they understand you anyway.

I don't know about "reading option >> pronunciation option". I feel like pinyin and more importantly tones are the minimum you need to get your chinese going. Reading is cool but first you need to be able to speak with people.
And well, the grammar I'm talking about is not real technical grammar as in German or French but more like a "style" or proper choice of wording. Chinese is subtle because of the vagueness of the characters.
"Short games, shorts, summer weather, those things bring the heat!" - EG.iNcontroL
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 631
Railgan 60
MindelVK 31
Codebar 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68754
Calm 11100
Bisu 2391
FanTaSy 1167
Stork 743
soO 437
Rush 397
firebathero 211
Snow 176
Last 152
[ Show more ]
Sharp 109
Mind 96
Light 95
hero 80
Pusan 71
Sea.KH 55
Free 48
ToSsGirL 44
Trap 41
Sexy 35
Mong 32
Hm[arnc] 32
Bale 29
Aegong 20
yabsab 16
HiyA 15
zelot 14
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
Rock 9
Shine 9
IntoTheRainbow 7
Terrorterran 7
scan(afreeca) 6
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc6811
Dendi1135
Counter-Strike
fl0m3195
byalli816
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King75
Other Games
gofns39535
singsing2474
B2W.Neo575
Liquid`RaSZi555
Pyrionflax243
Beastyqt239
Happy182
Hui .122
Mlord57
Trikslyr48
Chillindude17
Khaldor15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• Response 10
• Dystopia_ 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV515
League of Legends
• Jankos3031
• Nemesis3009
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1419
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 43m
OSC
9h 43m
Replay Cast
9h 43m
OSC
22h 43m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.