• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:17
CEST 13:17
KST 20:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7865 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 14

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 69 Next
Blacktion
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom1148 Posts
November 07 2011 12:04 GMT
#261
This will help with my German, im just getting back into it after not giving it a thought for years so im just doing really basic stuff atm. Im on a decent course for grammar so this will help balance that with more vocab.
I might branch out into french(holiday there) and swedish (gaming friends) if i find the german one helpful.
Ive just done a first simple test and ive gotta say its pretty fun.
TL-Blacktion on the site, look for me at the bottom of any leaderboards lol
Where's Boxer, there's victory! - figq
nB)Bouh
Profile Joined July 2011
France35 Posts
November 07 2011 12:19 GMT
#262
Omg Is the server saturate ?XD Everyone is doing it during lunch break :D
It is so awesome.
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 12:42:18
November 07 2011 12:33 GMT
#263
On November 07 2011 21:02 JoFritzMD wrote:
If this program does nothing more then remind me of how to read Hangul then it's good enough for me. Though I can't figure out how to make my keyboard type in hangul.
Also, typing the word in english sometimes counts as correct, sometime counts as "nearly" and sometimes it just says that you need to type the word in korean. So i'm not sure how that works. :S

TL-JoFritzMD btw.


well it will easily do that, I started 2 days ago and learned it in like 2 hours (probably less) with this website.
This site wont teach anyone a language by itself but it seems like an amazing way to learn vocabularies
if you havent found out yet just go to your windows regional and language settings,-> keyboard and languages -> add korean along with microsoft-IME, make sure you have the language switch thingy fixated on task bar (or make it a shortcut in the options)
then switch to korean microsoft IME, then in the task list a way to switch between english and hangul will appear.


edit: haha, i just looked up a help for remembering a word, it came from TL-Bobbias...
TL taking over
beep boop
Dotrar
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia46 Posts
November 07 2011 12:45 GMT
#264
On November 06 2011 12:51 Kaiwa wrote:
Am I seeing this right? Already 9 of us in the top 100? XD (New day started 5 hours ago but still... )

Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 08:39 Dotrar wrote:
im chronically new to korean, but i got some points.
i cant help but feel that im just memorizing the shapes though ;~;


Can you read hangul? Like read it out loud. For me it helps to just say the word and then answer it. Makes remembering it for writing easier too.


i can read it fairly ok. i know what the letters are and etc. some times im a bit slow on making them out
like
한글, 함니다 , etc
takes me a little while, but ill eventually figure it out.

( they're the only words i could spell off the top of my head xD )
uNiGNoRe
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
Germany1115 Posts
November 07 2011 13:01 GMT
#265
TL-unignore
This site is awesome. :D
Plague1503
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia466 Posts
November 07 2011 13:05 GMT
#266
As a Linguistics and English student this is simply amazing. Thank you for the cool find!

BTW, add me to the list, TL-Plague1503 ^^
"Good luck." "I don't need luck. I have ammo."
Blaine
Profile Joined February 2011
Italy188 Posts
November 07 2011 13:08 GMT
#267
This is awesome count me in
TL-Blaine
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 13:27:14
November 07 2011 13:22 GMT
#268
On November 07 2011 19:44 grobo wrote:
To the other people that are studying Japanese on the site, am i not supposed to write the words in kanji?

For example when they want me to write Refrigerator i write 冷蔵庫 but it says it's wrong? and it happens every time
i write the kanji for a word.

I started trying to input in Japanese because I was getting frustrated with having to memorize the romanization that was saved for each word, and I think I figured out what's going on here. When you enter a Japanese word in Windows, you have three stages: You enter the word, then you select the characters to render it, then you finalize it. If you click on "submit" before the word is finalized (if it's still underlined and you can select different kanji by hitting the space bar), then the characters aren't submitted properly and it counts as an error.

Just make sure you hit <enter> before you submit.

I'm a bit annoyed by some things about this page the more I use it. There seems to only be one halfway decent set for Japanese, and it's not at a very high level (JLPT level 2), and the words in it are inconsistent. Sometimes I only get shown the kanji for a word, and sometimes the kanji are rendered with the hiragana pronunciation right next to them. There seems to be no option to drill just on the words without kanji or just on the kanji without pronunciation. Also, the mnemonics are horrible and mostly rely on memorizing some kind of mispronunciation of the word to make it sound like English, which is a horrible habit.

I'm still pretty impressed with the software, though. It just needs better content, and the flashcard format needs to be made a bit better to allow more options.
The frumious Bandersnatch
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
November 07 2011 13:33 GMT
#269
On November 07 2011 21:45 Dotrar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 12:51 Kaiwa wrote:
Am I seeing this right? Already 9 of us in the top 100? XD (New day started 5 hours ago but still... )

On November 06 2011 08:39 Dotrar wrote:
im chronically new to korean, but i got some points.
i cant help but feel that im just memorizing the shapes though ;~;


Can you read hangul? Like read it out loud. For me it helps to just say the word and then answer it. Makes remembering it for writing easier too.


i can read it fairly ok. i know what the letters are and etc. some times im a bit slow on making them out
like
한글, 함니다 , etc
takes me a little while, but ill eventually figure it out.

( they're the only words i could spell off the top of my head xD )


yea in the multiple choices I tend to just go for the shape, because sometimes I dont have the time to read the word and then find the right choice.
But when you have to write the word yourself obviously that doesnt help so thats when you really have to memorize the word.

What would be very very good though, was if you could choose how long the timer goes yourself. Often times it just takes too long to write it, (esp. since i dont have a korean keyboard), even when I know what the right answer is.

Gred Detre, if you read this: customizable timer please ^^
beep boop
hatespam
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Romania161 Posts
November 07 2011 13:40 GMT
#270
SO MUCH FUN! best language tool ever
ask, and you shall have asked
RouaF
Profile Joined October 2010
France4121 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 13:46:30
November 07 2011 13:41 GMT
#271
Pretty nice site I farmed Chinese for about two hours and definitely memorized quite a lot of words. But I think there is a mistake with the sign "right hand" (又) my gf told me it's a mistake and it means "again"... then it's re-used to explain quite a lot of other words... so... mistake or not ?
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
November 07 2011 13:49 GMT
#272
Put me on this list. TL-Myles working on my spanish!
Moderator
ToT)OjKa(
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Korea (South)2437 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 14:06:35
November 07 2011 14:06 GMT
#273
TL-OjKa

High-fived all TL on the leaderboard

Currently doing French and will rekindle some German
OjKa OjKa OjKa!
Robinsa
Profile Joined May 2009
Japan1333 Posts
November 07 2011 14:14 GMT
#274
On November 07 2011 22:22 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2011 19:44 grobo wrote:
To the other people that are studying Japanese on the site, am i not supposed to write the words in kanji?

For example when they want me to write Refrigerator i write 冷蔵庫 but it says it's wrong? and it happens every time
i write the kanji for a word.

I started trying to input in Japanese because I was getting frustrated with having to memorize the romanization that was saved for each word, and I think I figured out what's going on here. When you enter a Japanese word in Windows, you have three stages: You enter the word, then you select the characters to render it, then you finalize it. If you click on "submit" before the word is finalized (if it's still underlined and you can select different kanji by hitting the space bar), then the characters aren't submitted properly and it counts as an error.

Just make sure you hit <enter> before you submit.

I'm a bit annoyed by some things about this page the more I use it. There seems to only be one halfway decent set for Japanese, and it's not at a very high level (JLPT level 2), and the words in it are inconsistent. Sometimes I only get shown the kanji for a word, and sometimes the kanji are rendered with the hiragana pronunciation right next to them. There seems to be no option to drill just on the words without kanji or just on the kanji without pronunciation. Also, the mnemonics are horrible and mostly rely on memorizing some kind of mispronunciation of the word to make it sound like English, which is a horrible habit.

I'm still pretty impressed with the software, though. It just needs better content, and the flashcard format needs to be made a bit better to allow more options.

Ive only tried the N1 quiz and it works fine for me except theres a lot of pretty basic words included that I think is N2 level. Other than that its fine and I see none of this "inconsistancy" at all.
4649!!
RaistlinZrg
Profile Joined August 2010
France26 Posts
November 07 2011 14:17 GMT
#275
Nice !

I already know a lot in japanese but i am pretty bad with my kanji. I am going to try this out for memorize them.

Hmm, i didn't see the TL tag for the account, is it ok to add me on the list without the tag ? Nick : RaistlinZrg
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
November 07 2011 14:31 GMT
#276
On November 07 2011 23:14 Robinsa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2011 22:22 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
On November 07 2011 19:44 grobo wrote:
To the other people that are studying Japanese on the site, am i not supposed to write the words in kanji?

For example when they want me to write Refrigerator i write 冷蔵庫 but it says it's wrong? and it happens every time
i write the kanji for a word.

I started trying to input in Japanese because I was getting frustrated with having to memorize the romanization that was saved for each word, and I think I figured out what's going on here. When you enter a Japanese word in Windows, you have three stages: You enter the word, then you select the characters to render it, then you finalize it. If you click on "submit" before the word is finalized (if it's still underlined and you can select different kanji by hitting the space bar), then the characters aren't submitted properly and it counts as an error.

Just make sure you hit <enter> before you submit.

I'm a bit annoyed by some things about this page the more I use it. There seems to only be one halfway decent set for Japanese, and it's not at a very high level (JLPT level 2), and the words in it are inconsistent. Sometimes I only get shown the kanji for a word, and sometimes the kanji are rendered with the hiragana pronunciation right next to them. There seems to be no option to drill just on the words without kanji or just on the kanji without pronunciation. Also, the mnemonics are horrible and mostly rely on memorizing some kind of mispronunciation of the word to make it sound like English, which is a horrible habit.

I'm still pretty impressed with the software, though. It just needs better content, and the flashcard format needs to be made a bit better to allow more options.

Ive only tried the N1 quiz and it works fine for me except theres a lot of pretty basic words included that I think is N2 level. Other than that its fine and I see none of this "inconsistancy" at all.

Am I missing something? I only saw one N1 list, and it had a really small number of words in it, like 100. Can you share a link to the list you found?
The frumious Bandersnatch
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
November 07 2011 14:31 GMT
#277
On November 07 2011 23:17 RaistlinZrg wrote:
Nice !

I already know a lot in japanese but i am pretty bad with my kanji. I am going to try this out for memorize them.

Hmm, i didn't see the TL tag for the account, is it ok to add me on the list without the tag ? Nick : RaistlinZrg

Just go to your account settings, you can change your name. That's what I did, because I also didn't see the tag thing in the OP until after I'd already created my account.
The frumious Bandersnatch
Raysalis
Profile Joined July 2010
Malaysia1034 Posts
November 07 2011 14:32 GMT
#278
Learning French since I am in Bordeaux :p

Forgot to put TL in front of my nick, but i used my TL nick Raysalis.
:)
Robinsa
Profile Joined May 2009
Japan1333 Posts
November 07 2011 14:36 GMT
#279
On November 07 2011 23:31 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2011 23:14 Robinsa wrote:
On November 07 2011 22:22 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
On November 07 2011 19:44 grobo wrote:
To the other people that are studying Japanese on the site, am i not supposed to write the words in kanji?

For example when they want me to write Refrigerator i write 冷蔵庫 but it says it's wrong? and it happens every time
i write the kanji for a word.

I started trying to input in Japanese because I was getting frustrated with having to memorize the romanization that was saved for each word, and I think I figured out what's going on here. When you enter a Japanese word in Windows, you have three stages: You enter the word, then you select the characters to render it, then you finalize it. If you click on "submit" before the word is finalized (if it's still underlined and you can select different kanji by hitting the space bar), then the characters aren't submitted properly and it counts as an error.

Just make sure you hit <enter> before you submit.

I'm a bit annoyed by some things about this page the more I use it. There seems to only be one halfway decent set for Japanese, and it's not at a very high level (JLPT level 2), and the words in it are inconsistent. Sometimes I only get shown the kanji for a word, and sometimes the kanji are rendered with the hiragana pronunciation right next to them. There seems to be no option to drill just on the words without kanji or just on the kanji without pronunciation. Also, the mnemonics are horrible and mostly rely on memorizing some kind of mispronunciation of the word to make it sound like English, which is a horrible habit.

I'm still pretty impressed with the software, though. It just needs better content, and the flashcard format needs to be made a bit better to allow more options.

Ive only tried the N1 quiz and it works fine for me except theres a lot of pretty basic words included that I think is N2 level. Other than that its fine and I see none of this "inconsistancy" at all.

Am I missing something? I only saw one N1 list, and it had a really small number of words in it, like 100. Can you share a link to the list you found?

http://www.memrise.com/set/10001757/n1/ This is the one I use. Its called N1 単語 and has 766 words in it. A bit too few considering N1 should hold atleast 1000+ new words from N2. And Im sure that there are N2 words included in the words.
4649!!
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
November 07 2011 14:39 GMT
#280
On November 07 2011 23:36 Robinsa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2011 23:31 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
On November 07 2011 23:14 Robinsa wrote:
On November 07 2011 22:22 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
On November 07 2011 19:44 grobo wrote:
To the other people that are studying Japanese on the site, am i not supposed to write the words in kanji?

For example when they want me to write Refrigerator i write 冷蔵庫 but it says it's wrong? and it happens every time
i write the kanji for a word.

I started trying to input in Japanese because I was getting frustrated with having to memorize the romanization that was saved for each word, and I think I figured out what's going on here. When you enter a Japanese word in Windows, you have three stages: You enter the word, then you select the characters to render it, then you finalize it. If you click on "submit" before the word is finalized (if it's still underlined and you can select different kanji by hitting the space bar), then the characters aren't submitted properly and it counts as an error.

Just make sure you hit <enter> before you submit.

I'm a bit annoyed by some things about this page the more I use it. There seems to only be one halfway decent set for Japanese, and it's not at a very high level (JLPT level 2), and the words in it are inconsistent. Sometimes I only get shown the kanji for a word, and sometimes the kanji are rendered with the hiragana pronunciation right next to them. There seems to be no option to drill just on the words without kanji or just on the kanji without pronunciation. Also, the mnemonics are horrible and mostly rely on memorizing some kind of mispronunciation of the word to make it sound like English, which is a horrible habit.

I'm still pretty impressed with the software, though. It just needs better content, and the flashcard format needs to be made a bit better to allow more options.

Ive only tried the N1 quiz and it works fine for me except theres a lot of pretty basic words included that I think is N2 level. Other than that its fine and I see none of this "inconsistancy" at all.

Am I missing something? I only saw one N1 list, and it had a really small number of words in it, like 100. Can you share a link to the list you found?

http://www.memrise.com/set/10001757/n1/ This is the one I use. Its called N1 単語 and has 766 words in it. A bit too few considering N1 should hold atleast 1000+ new words from N2. And Im sure that there are N2 words included in the words.

Oh cool, thanks!

Now I want an option to combine word lists...

Also, it would be really cool if more than one person could have write access to a word list. I bet the TL Japanese student community could band together to make a really excellent set of cards for at least the various noryokushiken levels.
The frumious Bandersnatch
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 597
RotterdaM127
Rex68
TKL 52
SteadfastSC47
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko320
RotterdaM 127
Rex 68
TKL 52
SteadfastSC 47
ByuN 38
Codebar 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9993
Shuttle 1411
Soulkey 801
Bisu 734
Jaedong 556
Horang2 443
Mong 399
BeSt 376
actioN 288
firebathero 231
[ Show more ]
Stork 209
Soma 208
Larva 149
Mini 143
Rush 130
Zeus 129
Last 110
Hyun 92
Pusan 84
PianO 76
Mind 71
910 70
ZerO 68
Snow 66
Free 60
sorry 57
Yoon 52
Shine 50
Shinee 37
hero 34
Sharp 31
Sexy 30
sSak 25
Bale 23
ToSsGirL 22
HiyA 21
EffOrt 19
ZergMaN 18
Hm[arnc] 11
JYJ 11
scan(afreeca) 11
Sacsri 10
Noble 7
yabsab 7
Aegong 0
Dota 2
XcaliburYe289
canceldota0
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1498
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King235
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes250
Other Games
gofns35938
singsing2016
B2W.Neo221
DeMusliM188
Pyrionflax177
KnowMe144
Livibee140
Trikslyr19
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV166
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV300
League of Legends
• Jankos1234
Other Games
• Shiphtur834
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
4h 43m
The PondCast
22h 43m
INu's Battles
23h 43m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.