• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:22
CEST 11:22
KST 18:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9657 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 69 Next
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
November 07 2011 08:19 GMT
#221
Excellent site, I need to pick up French in case my profession (working within the hockey industry) takes me to certain areas of Canada. This should be a good start before I take more formal lessons to work on the grammatical aspect rather than just vocabulary.

So far, 15 words, 790 points, 100% accuracy.

Username: TL-Yaki
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
FILM
Profile Joined September 2010
United States663 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 08:22:07
November 07 2011 08:21 GMT
#222
I'm using the Korean Master List. I don't know what good all this vocabulary will do me seeing as how I have little to no knowledge of the alphabet, but I'm giving it a shot anyway. That said, I also pretty much skip every one of the 'write this word in Korean' questions. Maybe someday in the future I will be able to read a sign in Korean or two.
Artosis:  "It's like Detroit in there."   Tasteless:  "Lots of shootings and damaged buildings."
Baobab
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)153 Posts
November 07 2011 08:21 GMT
#223
On November 07 2011 15:30 slmw wrote:
Kickass game. I wish Korean was featured, and it would be easy to first learn the alphabets, then some basic vocabulary, and finally some Starcraft vocabulary!

Add tl-yuizy to the list.


If you want to learn Korean, I strongly recommend talktomeinkorean.com They have a section for learning the Korean alphabet (Hangeul) and also just about anything else related to learning Korean.

Great site! Started on the Korean today, it's quite addictive. Add me to the list if you like, TL-Emergency
한국어 배우고 있어요 ... 너무 어려우니까 도와주세요 ㅋㅋㅋ
Cow
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada1104 Posts
November 07 2011 08:22 GMT
#224
Gonna brush up on my Mandarin. If I'm feeling good after that, I might even relearn my French.
Sign me up, TL-Cow
R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
Slurgi
Profile Joined March 2010
United States118 Posts
November 07 2011 08:36 GMT
#225
I'll join in, practice my Korean.

Name: Slurgi
Language: Korean

Seems like a nice supplement to my current method for learning Korean - being in Korea and needing to communicate with others in order to buy food, go to the bathroom, etc
FILM
Profile Joined September 2010
United States663 Posts
November 07 2011 08:46 GMT
#226
Has anyone had any luck uploading an avatar? Seems to be giving me some problems.
Artosis:  "It's like Detroit in there."   Tasteless:  "Lots of shootings and damaged buildings."
ZzZBored
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia368 Posts
November 07 2011 08:47 GMT
#227
Gonna try out some Korean, looks like a pretty interesting idea.
TL-zzzbored
"A day without laughter is a day wasted" - Charlie Chaplin
CloudCat
Profile Joined May 2011
Singapore160 Posts
November 07 2011 08:47 GMT
#228
of all things, i found the SAT eng v. useful. haha^^
TL-Cloudcat
N4ppy
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany17 Posts
November 07 2011 08:52 GMT
#229
using the french one
TL-N4ppy
iG.Forever
Profile Joined February 2004
Korea (South)148 Posts
November 07 2011 08:57 GMT
#230
wow really useful site thx!!! appreciate it ^^
IU <3
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
November 07 2011 09:01 GMT
#231
looks good =) doing the spanish one
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
Meteo Rain
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Finland98 Posts
November 07 2011 09:04 GMT
#232
It's funny that you can learn complete new language by just playing a games that have the language you want to learn.

Like myself i'm from Finland so my main language is Finnish but I always played Final Fantasies when I was child and of course they all were in English. English in Finland comes in third grade so regularly people learn English just then but me I never had to learn it from by studying because I learned it from games.

Actually I don't know how this happened but suddenly from one point I came in interest that what the story was and what the people in the games were saying. From there I just learned English on my own somehow I don't know how it's possible but 'meh' i'm not complaining.

So just by mass gaming you can learn new language.

I think that I learned English by repeating the games and finally came in interest that ''What the f*ck you are saying!''.
Because I did play the Final Fantasy 9 over 15 times over and over again ^.^ also I played Final Fantasy 7 so man times over and over again. So when I finally knew the story by not 'reading' anything but just playing and skipping the conversations the people had, then I started to try to understand "that what's up?" and eventually I learned English.

Just wanted to share my story of learning English!
I have lost my phone number, can I have yours?
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 09:17:28
November 07 2011 09:12 GMT
#233
I've just created an account and I'm really impressed! I'm an American, and I've learned Japanese and German to fluency as an adult, so I've dedicated a lot of time to learning about language acquisition. This site seems basically to do all the grunt work associated with what I learned as the "memory box" method for learning vocabulary, which for me was by far the most efficient method: You add some number of words to your box each day, and the box is divided into chambers. First chamber has a couple days' worth of cards, next chamber a week's worth, and so on, and you practice each chamber with decreasing frequency, promoting or demoting cards through the chambers based on whether you still remember them.

The reason this works is very well illustrated by the plant metaphor the site uses: When you learn something new, you need to fire the neurons storing the information pretty frequently so that it sticks, and then you can maintain the knowledge with less and less frequent refreshment. If you look at the same flashcards every day, you're wasting time that could be better invested in new information, and if you don't look at a flashcard for too long you risk losing the knowledge. The major hassle of the system is keeping up with the new cards every day and reorganizing your words into the chambers they belong in. Since this site takes care of both of those tasks, though, and even throws a cool gamelike interface on top of it, I'm totally pumped!

I'm running a JLPT level 2 word set that's pretty cool, and I think I'll add French, which I've been wanting to pick up ever since I came to Germany. If the site turns out to be as cool as it looks at first glance, this might actually be the thing that finally convinces me to get a smart phone: Being able to quiz vocab on the road without making flashcards and carrying a big plastic box around would be soooooo cool!

TL-AmericanUmlaut, by the way :-D
The frumious Bandersnatch
Dobrev
Profile Joined February 2010
Bulgaria30 Posts
November 07 2011 09:14 GMT
#234
I was looking for a tool to build up my german treasury. Thanks and add me to the list: TL-Dobrev
Intact
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden634 Posts
November 07 2011 09:16 GMT
#235
TL-Intact.
Doing mandarin atm.
Nuckels
Profile Joined November 2011
Scotland6 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 09:20:17
November 07 2011 09:19 GMT
#236
Registered and learning Mandarin!
TL-Nuckels
FUCK NO NOT THE VOID RAYS.
ULTRAmarine
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden47 Posts
November 07 2011 09:37 GMT
#237
Kinda unrelated but my dad bought me baldurs gate in german when i was 9-10 yrs old. Didnt understand jack shit but fell in love with the game and woopdidoo, a year later i finished the game and read german like a boss. Speaking came later.
chenchen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1136 Posts
November 07 2011 09:43 GMT
#238
Yeah it's funny to hear from quite a lot of Western Europeans learning English naturally at a young age from exposure to English media. I've read quite a few accounts of Europeans on TL learning English from just playing games lol. Never quite had that experience as every language I'm fluent in, I learned basically as a native speaker in complete immersion.
powerade = dragoon blood
Myrkul
Profile Joined February 2009
Croatia132 Posts
November 07 2011 09:43 GMT
#239
Cool, TL-Apeiron signing up
July = best goddamn zvp in this part of the universe
Saronix
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada73 Posts
November 07 2011 09:50 GMT
#240
Smart.fm is sort of similar -- another good tool to use OP if you want to learn a language.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1205
Hyun 568
firebathero 541
Hyuk 398
BeSt 329
Jaedong 269
Mong 268
Soma 189
Shine 86
PianO 82
[ Show more ]
Sexy 62
910 50
Mind 48
sSak 41
Hm[arnc] 35
Shinee 30
ZergMaN 26
Bale 25
yabsab 20
HiyA 19
Sharp 15
sorry 12
ZerO 11
Noble 10
Stork 7
Terrorterran 4
Dota 2
XcaliburYe0
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1226
olofmeister1178
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King351
Other Games
gofns31658
summit1g7849
ceh9615
KnowMe126
Pyrionflax93
Livibee44
Trikslyr26
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick476
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos973
• Stunt381
Other Games
• Shiphtur439
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 39m
Patches Events
6h 39m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.