• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:36
CEST 21:36
KST 04:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9017 users

Ask and answer stupid questions here! - Page 769

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 767 768 769 770 771 783 Next
Sent.
Profile Joined June 2012
Poland9331 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-12 15:24:00
September 12 2020 15:23 GMT
#15361
On September 13 2020 00:05 Simberto wrote:
Have the US people here heard of a writer called "Karl May"?

He is a german author who wrote a gigantic amount of wild west fiction at the turn of the 19th century (and some other stuff, but the wild west fiction is what he is famous for). Some of his iconic wild west characters, like for example the Apache chief "Winnetou" are basically almost universally known in Germany.

So i got to wondering if this means that there is a whole bunch of wild west mythology which is only known in Germany, and not the US.


He's certainly not only known in Germany. I've read a lot of his books as a little kid. Can't say I remember anything specific from those though, it was long time ago.
You're now breathing manually
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12016 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-12 15:28:39
September 12 2020 15:28 GMT
#15362
I also only remember a few details, having read the books as a child, too. I remember the self-insert Mary Sue "Old Shatterhand" whose super power it was to always knock everyone out with a single blow. I think a lot of different people were called "Old X-Hand". I think i recall "Old Shatterhand", "Old Surehand" and "Old Firehand" at least, but there were probably more.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
September 12 2020 19:48 GMT
#15363
On September 13 2020 00:05 Simberto wrote:
Have the US people here heard of a writer called "Karl May"?

He is a german author who wrote a gigantic amount of wild west fiction at the turn of the 19th century (and some other stuff, but the wild west fiction is what he is famous for). Some of his iconic wild west characters, like for example the Apache chief "Winnetou" are basically almost universally known in Germany.

So i got to wondering if this means that there is a whole bunch of wild west mythology which is only known in Germany, and not the US.

I read some of his books as a kid, in Netherlands. So probably well known around most of northern Europe at least.
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
September 16 2020 17:33 GMT
#15364
Does anyone know what happens when you report a player in SC2? All I know is that they are added to my block list and I get a message saying something about thanking me for contacting Blizzard customer support. I haven't been able to find any other info. Can I still be matched with them on ladder? Does Blizzard ever review these, and if so, what do they do?
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
September 16 2020 22:11 GMT
#15365
On September 17 2020 02:33 AirbladeOrange wrote:
Does anyone know what happens when you report a player in SC2? All I know is that they are added to my block list and I get a message saying something about thanking me for contacting Blizzard customer support. I haven't been able to find any other info. Can I still be matched with them on ladder? Does Blizzard ever review these, and if so, what do they do?

You cannot be matched with players who you blocked. As for whether Blizzard reviews reported players? They probably have an intern in charge of that, so maybe something gets done at some point, possibly?
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22638 Posts
September 16 2020 22:23 GMT
#15366
On September 17 2020 07:11 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2020 02:33 AirbladeOrange wrote:
Does anyone know what happens when you report a player in SC2? All I know is that they are added to my block list and I get a message saying something about thanking me for contacting Blizzard customer support. I haven't been able to find any other info. Can I still be matched with them on ladder? Does Blizzard ever review these, and if so, what do they do?

You cannot be matched with players who you blocked. As for whether Blizzard reviews reported players? They probably have an intern in charge of that, so maybe something gets done at some point, possibly?
I imagine most of it is automated with perhaps a real person taking a look before serious punishments are dealt out (bans)
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Sent.
Profile Joined June 2012
Poland9331 Posts
September 22 2020 20:20 GMT
#15367
Are there any serious "global warming is great" movements anywhere? I mean, surely there have to be some people in Canada and not-southern-Europe who are happy that they no longer have to deal with nasty winters every year.
You're now breathing manually
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12016 Posts
September 22 2020 21:03 GMT
#15368
Don't know of any.

And that makes a lot of sense to me. Because usually people have established themselves in a place with the assumption that it will stay similar to how it currently is. Change is almost universally threatening to the people currently living at the places, because it threatens some aspects of the way stuff is set up.

Sure, it being a few degrees warmer might sound good at some places. But then you suddenly have more or less rain, which are both bad. In the former case due to flooding, in the second because it kills your crops. Or some glaciers thaw and lead to even more flooding. Or the ground you built your house on stops being permafrost and your house sinks into the ground. Or the forest starts dying. Or there are mosquitos everywhere.

The people already have long-established ways of dealing with the problems of the current climate at their places. They don't have any mechanism in place for dealing with the problems a warmer climate brings.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24371 Posts
September 23 2020 01:34 GMT
#15369
On September 23 2020 05:20 Sent. wrote:
Are there any serious "global warming is great" movements anywhere? I mean, surely there have to be some people in Canada and not-southern-Europe who are happy that they no longer have to deal with nasty winters every year.

Greenland's pro-mining groups are the closest I've heard of. I don't know they outright advocate climate change, but they take a glass half full approach at minimum.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28903 Posts
September 23 2020 06:59 GMT
#15370
On September 23 2020 05:20 Sent. wrote:
Are there any serious "global warming is great" movements anywhere? I mean, surely there have to be some people in Canada and not-southern-Europe who are happy that they no longer have to deal with nasty winters every year.


I dunno about movement but i thought your very own corwin-mikke was one such person. Putin also seemed focused on opportunities presented, but that was before siberia started burning.
Moderator
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
September 23 2020 13:03 GMT
#15371
Russia is usually presented as one of the "winners" of global warming. Staple crop yields likely to be improved with minimal disruption, opening of the Arctic resources. Many important urban centres far away from coastlines. Wouldn't call it a movement, just acknowledged circumstance.

In my case, this year I am happy to see plants reflower in my garden where they wouldn't survive winter unaided before, what with the extremely mild winter I just had, but on the other hand last year people were moaning about 3 months of near constant 30+ degree weather. Which I found quite pleasant, but everyone has different tolerances, and people tend to be acclimatised to the weather they live most of their lives in. Of course I'll probably have a different opinion if my house was flooded.
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
September 28 2020 04:50 GMT
#15372
I called a gas station about a gas price that it showed me on google maps, because it was like 0.5km out of the way, but like 7 cents cheaper per liter. Wanted to confirm the price was accurate before driving there.

The lady that picked up said she can't share gas prices over the phone. Is that some bullshit archaic law, or is the business just evil?
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Fecalfeast
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada11355 Posts
September 28 2020 19:35 GMT
#15373
On September 28 2020 13:50 FiWiFaKi wrote:
I called a gas station about a gas price that it showed me on google maps, because it was like 0.5km out of the way, but like 7 cents cheaper per liter. Wanted to confirm the price was accurate before driving there.

The lady that picked up said she can't share gas prices over the phone. Is that some bullshit archaic law, or is the business just evil?

One of the jobs of a gas station attendant is to report local competitor gas prices to corporate/whoever. We were always told to go out and observe the prices on their sign when I worked for shell.

I was never told not to mention prices on the phone but I imagine it would have something to do with price reporting.
ModeratorINFLATE YOUR POST COUNT; PLAY TL MAFIA
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24371 Posts
October 12 2020 18:13 GMT
#15374
How do "stones" continue to be more popular than kilograms for measuring people's weight in the UK? Or is that just the UK shows I watch?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
October 12 2020 19:58 GMT
#15375
On October 13 2020 03:13 GreenHorizons wrote:
How do "stones" continue to be more popular than kilograms for measuring people's weight in the UK? Or is that just the UK shows I watch?

I think so. Recipes I use are in grams (generally bbc goodfood or jamie oliver).

Considerably easier than american recipes trying to make me measure all manner of solids in cups or tablespoons. How the hell do you measure 3 tablespoons of butter?!
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24371 Posts
October 12 2020 20:36 GMT
#15376
On October 13 2020 04:58 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2020 03:13 GreenHorizons wrote:
How do "stones" continue to be more popular than kilograms for measuring people's weight in the UK? Or is that just the UK shows I watch?

I think so. Recipes I use are in grams (generally bbc goodfood or jamie oliver).

Considerably easier than american recipes trying to make me measure all manner of solids in cups or tablespoons. How the hell do you measure 3 tablespoons of butter?!

You think we measure butter?

Just was watching something and everyone they intro'd mentioned weight and everyone was between 10 and 13. The other thing was that it usually just gets rounded, I rarely see 13.4 stones or 9.3 or whatever either? So you have more than 1 weight division in fighting/boxing where the limit is "11 stones" for example.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Lonyo
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United Kingdom3884 Posts
October 12 2020 21:09 GMT
#15377
On October 13 2020 03:13 GreenHorizons wrote:
How do "stones" continue to be more popular than kilograms for measuring people's weight in the UK? Or is that just the UK shows I watch?

Not sure how but they are.

E.g. the default on the NHS BMI checker is stones https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

I think it's just that everyone uses it so everyone uses it.
HOLY CHECK!
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44354 Posts
October 12 2020 21:11 GMT
#15378
On October 13 2020 03:13 GreenHorizons wrote:
How do "stones" continue to be more popular than kilograms for measuring people's weight in the UK? Or is that just the UK shows I watch?

We use metric for anything commercial such as buying fruit but use imperial for non commercial measurements such as measuring people.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-12 21:36:53
October 12 2020 21:35 GMT
#15379
On October 13 2020 05:36 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2020 04:58 Acrofales wrote:
On October 13 2020 03:13 GreenHorizons wrote:
How do "stones" continue to be more popular than kilograms for measuring people's weight in the UK? Or is that just the UK shows I watch?

I think so. Recipes I use are in grams (generally bbc goodfood or jamie oliver).

Considerably easier than american recipes trying to make me measure all manner of solids in cups or tablespoons. How the hell do you measure 3 tablespoons of butter?!

You think we measure butter?

Just was watching something and everyone they intro'd mentioned weight and everyone was between 10 and 13. The other thing was that it usually just gets rounded, I rarely see 13.4 stones or 9.3 or whatever either? So you have more than 1 weight division in fighting/boxing where the limit is "11 stones" for example.

Well, if you don't measure butter when baking, your pastry will turn out too sticky or too flaky or too wet or too dry. Measuring is kind of an important part of baking.

E: that was a very interesting autocorrect, if anybody caught it
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
October 13 2020 00:13 GMT
#15380
On October 13 2020 06:11 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2020 03:13 GreenHorizons wrote:
How do "stones" continue to be more popular than kilograms for measuring people's weight in the UK? Or is that just the UK shows I watch?

We use metric for anything commercial such as buying fruit but use imperial for non commercial measurements such as measuring people.


somehow a system even worse than the US exists, lmao
Prev 1 767 768 769 770 771 783 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1640
RotterdaM1003
TaKeTV 400
IndyStarCraft 209
SteadfastSC175
ZombieGrub103
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1640
RotterdaM 1003
IndyStarCraft 209
SteadfastSC 175
MaxPax 168
RuFF_SC2 144
ZombieGrub103
UpATreeSC 71
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2729
Shuttle 512
Dewaltoss 124
910 71
Mind 63
Bale 17
Counter-Strike
fl0m4094
pashabiceps1413
Fnx 669
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4594
Liquid`Hasu626
Other Games
Beastyqt785
mouzStarbuck433
shahzam220
ToD156
C9.Mang0152
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV218
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 178
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 22
• 80smullet 15
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade381
Other Games
• imaqtpie897
• Shiphtur310
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 24m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 24m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
15h 24m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Patches Events
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.