• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:36
CEST 21:36
KST 04:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13390 users

Beer Appreciation Thread - Page 6

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 32 Next All
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
April 26 2011 06:15 GMT
#101
On April 26 2011 13:08 Riku wrote:

Speaking of decent inexpensive beers, I recommend anyone in the Portland area try out Henry Weinhard's brews. Yes, they are literally dirt cheap, but they can be extremely tasty for the price. Definitely a better choice for a beer loving college student than Coors or Keystone! I personally recommend their Special Reserve. It's yummy!

When I want an inexpensive beer I go for Carlin Light. A woman I shared a house with got me hooked on them.

The other discount beer people around here drink is Brava, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much. A bit too watered down for me.
ESV Mapmaking Team
Greggle
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1131 Posts
April 26 2011 06:32 GMT
#102
On April 26 2011 13:14 The_LiNk wrote:
I guess I'm sort of like Torte De Lini. I like to drink soda too but I don't really particularly enjoy beer. I like the sweeter alchohol beverages like wine. I'm pretty confused from what people are suggesting him. Aside from certain labels, is there a general attribute/type of beer that would be more suitable for people like him and I?


Give a witbier a try. They are light on hop bitterness and feature fruit and spice primarily for flavor. Hoegaarden is a good intro to the style, but I'd recommend a Schneider Weiss or Weihenstephaner if you can find it. Maybe give a chocolate bock or a stout a try for something sweet. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is widely available. A lot of the dark beers while looking intimidating offer a very sweet inoffensive taste.
Life is too short to take it seriously.
blah_blah
Profile Joined April 2011
346 Posts
April 26 2011 06:39 GMT
#103
On April 26 2011 03:19 Torte de Lini wrote:P.S: If it's any help, I'm in Canada, so suggest beers in Quebec/Canada.


Ignore the guy who said that beer from Quebec sucks, and get a variety pack of Unibroue beers (it's a 12 pack in total). I haven't ordered one of these in a while, but IIRC it has 6 different Unibroue beers, Maudite, Fin du Monde, Ephemere, Trois Pistoles, Blanche de Chambly, and one more that I can't remember. They are not all the easiest beers to drink (some are quite strong), and they don't represent all or most types of beers (e.g., no pale ales, IPAs, no stouts, etc), but they are all good to excellent beers (Fin du Monde in particular is fantastic).

Enjoy them cold (but not too cold), and in a proper glass, not out of the bottle.
SoLaR[i.C]
Profile Blog Joined August 2003
United States2969 Posts
April 26 2011 06:50 GMT
#104
I just had an absolutely wonderful beer. It's called Double Wide IPA by Boulevard Brewing Co. and y'all should try to get ahold of it if you can. Highly recommended!
[image loading]


deSmalle
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium20 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 09:04:16
April 26 2011 09:03 GMT
#105
On April 26 2011 11:02 jmbthirteen wrote:
Did Ohio get Yuengling yet? I know there was talk about Yuengling expanding to Ohio as well.

Also forgot to add this great beer earlier.
[image loading]


How did you get across this one?
Thought it to be one of Belgian's best kept secrets (and one of our finest).

Seriously, if you love beer, Belgium is your next holiday destination (cant believe there's no other fellow country-men who posted in this thread yet).

Another well kept gem of ours (I think) is Jupiler, waaaaaaay better than Heineken and slightly better than Stella (personal preference), tho it's not really commercialized worldwide.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


We're a small country with not much to show for, but beer's one of those things that makes us very proud lol.

Could write an entire essay about Belgian beer, but will just leave you with a very small list of the (imo) best ones:
+ Show Spoiler +
Tripel Karmeliet, Jupiler, Duvel, Leffe Blond, Westmalle Trippel, Delirium Tremens, ... Note these are only blond beers, which I prefer, hope there's others who will help you chose the darker ones too :p


Aside from ours, Czech beer is pretty nice as well, as is German Weissbier.
But to be fair, wherever you go, if you drink pilsner, you'll get used to it from the 3rd or 4th anyway, and then after a couple more, taste really isnt an issue anymore is it?

Cheers,

Everything's simple, if you know what you're doing.
blah_blah
Profile Joined April 2011
346 Posts
April 26 2011 09:23 GMT
#106
I can definitely vouch for how good Tripel Karmeliet is, it's better than almost all of the Trappist beers even (on a par with Westmalle and Rochefort imo, not as good as Westvleteren, better than all the others).
Chahta
Profile Joined February 2011
United States148 Posts
April 26 2011 09:51 GMT
#107
My go to beer is Fat Tire Amber Ale, amazing on tap. It's brewed according to a Belgian recipe. I find it always smooth and the most "drinkable" beer I have yet encountered. Fat Tire also makes a few other varieties but I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet *sadness*

Other than that I usually prefer darker brews and unfiltered wheat beers. I simply can't stand light beer...it's just piss in a can imo :/ I like Guinness as most seem to, but when I think it's a bit heavy I'll go for a Boddington's instead...similar flavor just far less rich. I absolutely love Hefeweizens ever since my first Pyramid, and it just gets better with a slice of orange. IPAs are alright, I've tried a few including Stone (Ruination included) and honestly find them bland. I really don't sense the "bite" people exclaim about, and the flavor tends to lack dimension...but that's just me.

Also related sortof is a good hard cider...not beer I know, but sometimes a nice change. I just can't remember any names to recommend...it's been a while.
I accidentally whole f*cking base
Drake
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany6146 Posts
April 26 2011 09:55 GMT
#108
krombacher pils or bitburger, at least a german beer

[image loading]
Nb.Drake / CoL_Drake / Original Joined TL.net Tuesday, 15th of March 2005
Bartuc
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands629 Posts
April 26 2011 10:03 GMT
#109
This one is so good, try some if it's available at yours:

[image loading]
It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one's head and succumb.
braammbolius
Profile Joined May 2005
179 Posts
April 26 2011 10:05 GMT
#110
On April 26 2011 06:36 Xiron wrote:
How come nobody talks about the beer of beers. German beer.


Maybe it's the fact that Belgian beer pretty much destroys it ?
Zdrastochye
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Ivory Coast6262 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 10:11:30
April 26 2011 10:10 GMT
#111
Carta Blanca.

Definitely my favorite. Very delicious.

Anyone else like this beer?

It is rather cheap though.
Hey! How you doin'?
ZedraC
Profile Joined February 2011
South Africa109 Posts
April 26 2011 10:26 GMT
#112
lol,

never thought i'd see a thread like this here.

My choice: Black Label, otherwise known as Zamalek in my country.

German beers are also good in general.
"What am I supposed to build to kill the things that look like giant dung beetles that eventually show up?" - beginner on battlenet forums. LMAO
braammbolius
Profile Joined May 2005
179 Posts
April 26 2011 11:05 GMT
#113
On April 26 2011 06:55 crech010 wrote:
Other ones from Belgium that are great are Chimay and Leffe, especially the Leffe Blonde. Give it a try if you havent had it before. However I rarely have these as I'm a poor student so cheap watered down beer for me...


Yesss, a man that knows his beer, Chimay is pretty much my second favourite, no matter which kind .

And I have tried a crapload of beers, just over the border in belgium they have this store called "the beer giant", which is basically a warehouse stocked with nothing but about every kind of beer you could imagine. So whenever my dad goes there to stock up on duvel , he takes with him a whole bunch of other "testing" beers. Good times, good times .
So far, Top 3

Duvel: SS+
An epic mix of both freshness and "depth", especially when chilled, but also very enjoyable at room temperature.

Chimay S
Kinda like Duvel but not quite as "outspoken", if Duvel is a bit too much for you, this is your next best bet for a great beer.

Saint Paul A+
Nothing really special about this, just really good. This is the kind of beer that everyone who drinks beer can appreciate. Great to start off a night of drinking Duvel with this .


Also, can we please keep this thread clear of any snobbist bullshit, that post by greggle made me want to strangle someone.....
OmegaX
Profile Joined December 2010
United States9 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 13:16:28
April 26 2011 13:12 GMT
#114
Seems as though there are a lot of folks looking for recommendations here. Contrary to the masses popular belief, beer comes in many, many different flavor profiles and types. I believe that the original post should be updated with a recommendation sections and a list of main styles with a few universal beers that are regarded as good representations of that style.

Ex. Stout: Guinness - Easy to find worldwide, typically well reviewed, a few variations.

IPA: Bell's Two Hearted Ale - Getting more easy to find, not overly hoppy, good intro IPA.

Belgian: Duvel - Easy to find, great flavor profile, all around good rep. for belgians.

I think something like this would be helpful to anyone curious about trying a new variety or trying to get into beer that doesn't know where to start. And of course, there are many subcategories of each (stout, dry stout, sweet stout, imperial stout, etc.) that could be done if this thread is actually read by enough people.
Fleshcut
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany592 Posts
April 26 2011 13:18 GMT
#115
Im in love with Staropramen and Kilkenny. The 5,0 Original is good too but what makes it really good is the price. Its dirt-cheap!
duckii
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany1017 Posts
April 26 2011 13:39 GMT
#116
I drink Pils most of the time and Beck's is my favourit choice because it tastes very natural and has the right amount of bitterness for me.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
April 26 2011 13:46 GMT
#117
On April 26 2011 19:26 ZedraC wrote:
lol,

never thought i'd see a thread like this here.

Really? http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/search.php?q=beer

I wrote my own appreciation blog a while ago:
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=104273
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Dankbeer
Profile Joined November 2010
United States61 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 13:59:32
April 26 2011 13:54 GMT
#118
I love brewing and drinking beer, here are some of my favorite brands at the moment:

- Westvleteren 8 and 10 (Great Dubble / Dark Strong)
- St. Bernardus abt 12 (Great Belgian Dark Strong)
- Russian River's Pliney the Elder and Younger (superb examples of IPA and IIPA)
- Bell's Two Hearted / Hop Slam (Good IPA / IIPA)
- Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti (Great American Imperial Stout)
- Ommegang 3 Philosophers (Great Dark Strong / Kriek Blend)

I also have some homebrew:
- Centenntial / Citra Rye IIPA (ABV: 8.5% SRM: 9 IBU: 55) (This is like two hearted but with rye and more hop complexity)
- Chocolate Coffee Imperial Stout (ABV: 11.5% SRM: 40 IBU: 35)
- Belgian Golden Strong (ABV: 9.5% SRM: 12 IBU: 38)

Did I mention I love beer.
Tomorrow comes today.
Lurtzer
Profile Joined June 2009
Czech Republic67 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 14:48:48
April 26 2011 14:46 GMT
#119
I had chance to taste so many kind of beers and i always trying beer when i am outside of my country, but yet still i havent found better bear then our beloved Plzeň (Pilsner Urquell). Everyone should try it when they had chance. Also Branik and Starobrno are awesome...
"Time to walk the plank Tasteless, because I am Arrrrtosis" - Artosis
Tarbosh
Profile Joined October 2010
United States127 Posts
April 26 2011 14:48 GMT
#120
I love beer. I try to drink every different beer I see when I am at a restaurant if I haven't seen it before. Also every couple weeks I got to a nearby store (Friar Tuck) that carries a huge variety of alcohol and buy a 6 pack or two of beer that I have never had before or seen. They also have a thing where you can build you own 6 pack and just choose 6 individual bottles from the variety of options they have which is pretty cool. Recently I have been trying more and more IPAs and getting into them a lot more. IPAs were kinda an acquired taste for me but now I really enjoy them a lot. My favorite beer of all though is just a Guinness draught on tap, nothing beats it.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 32 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1598
TKL 450
IndyStarCraft 286
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1598
TKL 450
IndyStarCraft 286
EmSc Tv 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24583
Calm 2413
Shuttle 360
Mini 175
White-Ra 145
ZZZero.O 97
firebathero 81
scan(afreeca) 26
soO 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc11361
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1341
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3965
Liquid`Hasu559
MindelVK6
Other Games
summit1g5196
Liquid`RaSZi2253
fl0m1661
FrodaN1339
B2W.Neo755
olofmeister639
Khaldor426
Beastyqt274
Livibee196
crisheroes151
Pyrionflax101
Mew2King68
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick556
BasetradeTV230
StarCraft 2
angryscii 15
EmSc Tv 8
EmSc2Tv 8
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 27
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
• niya90s 0
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach38
• Azhi_Dahaki32
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1221
• Shiphtur672
• WagamamaTV376
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 25m
Replay Cast
3h 25m
OSC
16h 25m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.