• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:50
CEST 13:50
KST 20:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7654 users

Beer Appreciation Thread - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 30 31 32 Next All
TALegion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1187 Posts
April 26 2011 01:12 GMT
#81
I doubt many people can relate, but African beers are the shit.
In particular, Killamanjaro, Tusker, and Sahara were AWESOME.
Better than any of the shitty stuff I find around here :/
A person willing to die for a cause is a hero. A person willing to kill for a cause is a madman
apalemorning
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada509 Posts
April 26 2011 01:14 GMT
#82
[image loading]

i drink a bottle of this a day.
immortal/roach is pretty good against stalkers
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
April 26 2011 01:23 GMT
#83
On April 26 2011 10:07 Chaoz wrote:
So if we don't want the bitter stuff, we should go with white ale? The only beer I've tried that I liked so far is Smirnoff Ice, which is a malt beer I think. The problem is that it didn't really have much taste to it.


Smirnoff is vodka no?
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
RoarMan
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada745 Posts
April 26 2011 01:29 GMT
#84
On April 26 2011 03:09 D10 wrote:
I rarely drink, I hate the effect Alcohol has on my cognitive functions, but when I do drink, I drink a Stealla Artois, very cold its almost like water, and 1 or 2 leave you well enough not to get drunk

I was skeptical at first as to why this beer had such good commercials but then I understood. Stella is very nice beer.

I think Turborg deserves a shout out and when in doubt I'll just drink me some Heineken :D
All the pros got dat Ichie.
SpiritAshura
Profile Joined March 2007
United States1271 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 01:30:55
April 26 2011 01:30 GMT
#85
[image loading]
mmmm.
slappy
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1271 Posts
April 26 2011 01:31 GMT
#86
Guinness, Red Hook ESB, Fat Tire, Becks, so many others..

Pabst Blue Ribbon is the only cheap beer I enjoy drinking. Maybe Hite as well
jaedong imba
Cragus
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada144 Posts
April 26 2011 01:31 GMT
#87
On April 26 2011 10:07 Chaoz wrote:
So if we don't want the bitter stuff, we should go with white ale? The only beer I've tried that I liked so far is Smirnoff Ice, which is a malt beer I think. The problem is that it didn't really have much taste to it.

A wheat beer (aka white beer, witbeir, or weissbier) is a solid choice. Certain Belgian-style ales are also pretty sweet (Delirium Tremens comes immediately to mind, but there are others). Scottish ales are also usually on the sweet side. Most lagers are not very bitter, but I can't really give specifics (I don't really like lagers that much).
aka Nakji/Сталкер/Reed
Beardedclam
Profile Joined September 2010
United States839 Posts
April 26 2011 01:37 GMT
#88
This is a great beer.
[image loading]
"bye bye" - genius "#$@% you" - Idra------------|Genius|DRG|Keen|---------Breakfast.213
its_over
Profile Joined April 2011
12 Posts
April 26 2011 01:44 GMT
#89
On April 26 2011 10:07 Chaoz wrote:
So if we don't want the bitter stuff, we should go with white ale? The only beer I've tried that I liked so far is Smirnoff Ice, which is a malt beer I think. The problem is that it didn't really have much taste to it.



I would just suggest staying away from IPA as there typically the highest in hops and thats what will give you the bitter taste. Smirnoff ice is what I would consider the lowest form of beer just due to the fact that it isn't even close to what beer taste like. What I would suggest is try some good quality ciders and work your way up from there to a beer. Theres nothing wrong with legit ciders and can be very enjoyable. Good rule of thumb if you can buy it at a gas station chances are its of a lower quality (nothing wrong with that once you know what you like I just don't want you trying a bad example of a type of beer and writing it off).
s4life
Profile Joined March 2007
Peru1519 Posts
April 26 2011 01:47 GMT
#90
On April 26 2011 10:07 Chaoz wrote:
So if we don't want the bitter stuff, we should go with white ale? The only beer I've tried that I liked so far is Smirnoff Ice, which is a malt beer I think. The problem is that it didn't really have much taste to it.

I think any beer with not a lot of hop will do.
You have plenty of choices. The guy above me is correct in that german-type wheat beers, i.e., heffes and dunkels -- not american wheat beers they often have plenty of hop, which adds to the bitterness -- should be pretty much a good match for your taste buds.
Clear laggers should also work well.. the czech ones tend to very good, but perhaps too strong, I would stick with fat tire, peroni, stella or similar.
Belgian beers are fantastic, but the malty ones are often very strong.. I would give a try to some tripels with something around 8%, such as the white chimay. They also have really good fruit beers, my girlfriend's fav.

My preference is IPA.. the less clear the better or perhaps a keller beer on draft... only in germany though, never found them around here in the US.
slappy
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1271 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 01:53:05
April 26 2011 01:50 GMT
#91
smirnoff ice is NOT beer....

if you want a sweet tasting girly beer, go for Blue Moon (with an orange) on tap is fucking delicious, or a Hoegarden (really any belgium white ale).

took me a couple years before I had any taste for beer whatsoever, so since I was just drinking to get drunk, I would just buy the cheap stuff (keystone light) and force it down even though it is disgusting. THEN, one day my friend brought a pack of Rolling Rock, and I realized how delicious beer can be.

EDIT:
On April 26 2011 10:12 TALegion wrote:
I doubt many people can relate, but African beers are the shit.
In particular, Killamanjaro, Tusker, and Sahara were AWESOME.
Better than any of the shitty stuff I find around here :/


I've had all 3 of those listed, and indeed they are fantastic! Bevmo is the only place that has a great international beer selection in my area, which is where I found those.

German beers are the shit too. Went to Germany once, unfortunately I don't know any of the beers I had, but every single one was fantastic.
jaedong imba
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
April 26 2011 02:00 GMT
#92
As for beers I generally enjoy beers that have a more earthy flavor. One of the more recently beers I enjoyed was a beer from Belgium that tasted like coffee before changing into a beer flavor. I'll take a picture of it when I move into my new house but it was fantastic. Richards Red is another enjoyable beer, and Alexander Keith's Harvest Ale is pretty good. Moosehead is great. When I feel like something stout I usually turn to Guinness but I'm looking for more exposer in the dark beers section if anyone wants to recommend something.

On April 26 2011 10:07 Chaoz wrote:
So if we don't want the bitter stuff, we should go with white ale? The only beer I've tried that I liked so far is Smirnoff Ice, which is a malt beer I think. The problem is that it didn't really have much taste to it.


Woah, Smirnoff is vodka no?
ESV Mapmaking Team
Lord_J
Profile Joined April 2011
Kenya1085 Posts
April 26 2011 02:01 GMT
#93
On April 26 2011 10:12 TALegion wrote:
I doubt many people can relate, but African beers are the shit.
In particular, Killamanjaro, Tusker, and Sahara were AWESOME.
Better than any of the shitty stuff I find around here :/


I prefer White Cap but those are good too.

In America I like Raging Bitch from the Flying Dog brewery, and any of Dogfish Head's offerings.
No relation to Monsieur J.
jmbthirteen
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States10734 Posts
April 26 2011 02:02 GMT
#94
On April 26 2011 07:53 Roomba wrote:
Can anybody school me on some good, relatively cheap, beer that I have missed trying? Cheap meaning roughly $7 for a 6pack. I grew up in a family that never drank so I have little to no experience. I have found that I tend to like to alternate light beer like rolling rock and labatt with something darker like Sam Adams in the winter and something citrus"y" like Blue Moon. Any suggestions? Also, I live in Ohio and have heard good things about Great Lakes "Blackout Stout". Haven't tried it yet though.


Did Ohio get Yuengling yet? I know there was talk about Yuengling expanding to Ohio as well.

Also forgot to add this great beer earlier.
[image loading]
www.superbeerbrothers.com
Saturnize
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States2473 Posts
April 26 2011 02:15 GMT
#95
On April 26 2011 10:12 TALegion wrote:
I doubt many people can relate, but African beers are the shit.
In particular, Killamanjaro, Tusker, and Sahara were AWESOME.
Better than any of the shitty stuff I find around here :/


Pics? You have sparked my curiosity.
"Time to put the mustard on the hotdog. -_-"
BloodNinja
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2791 Posts
April 26 2011 02:43 GMT
#96
On April 26 2011 10:31 Cragus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 26 2011 10:07 Chaoz wrote:
So if we don't want the bitter stuff, we should go with white ale? The only beer I've tried that I liked so far is Smirnoff Ice, which is a malt beer I think. The problem is that it didn't really have much taste to it.

A wheat beer (aka white beer, witbeir, or weissbier) is a solid choice. Certain Belgian-style ales are also pretty sweet (Delirium Tremens comes immediately to mind, but there are others). Scottish ales are also usually on the sweet side. Most lagers are not very bitter, but I can't really give specifics (I don't really like lagers that much).


Another solid choice would be lambics. Most that I have have tried are sweet, fruity, and bubbly. Kinda of like a sweet fruit flavored champagne in some ways.

Lindeman is a brewery that makes a good tasting lambics that you should be able to find. I have enjoyed both their peach and apple lambic. They have a cherry as well, but I am not a fan cherries.
Xapti
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2473 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-26 03:08:26
April 26 2011 03:04 GMT
#97
On April 26 2011 03:19 Torte de Lini wrote:
Can someone explain to me what there is to appreciate when drinking beer? I don't drink beer at all, whenever I do, it tastes terrible, like really bad cough syrup.

I'm not asking with the intent of putting down beer (If I did, I'd be severely outnumbered), what I mean to ask is when I drink beer or try it, what kind of taste am I to expect? I don't like drinking to get drunk, I like drinking for the taste and potential feeling. However, I can only have maybe a glass before my mouth feels bland and maybe I'm just expecting beer the wrong way.

I drink a lot of soda and I love the strong taste and sugary feeling, will I just not like beer or should I just keep drinking until I eventually get comfortable with it. There are so many beers, so I don't even know which one to settle with (I don't even know that much about beers). Someone told me it's an acquired taste, so maybe that's it. I'm not a white wine guy nor heavy alcohol, I like red deep wine with a strong taste.

Thanks!

P.S: If it's any help, I'm in Canada, so suggest beers in Quebec/Canada.

Edit: If my post comes off condescending or poorly worded, please let me know and I'll fix it. I was trying to give an accurate portrayal of what I don't like and how it makes me feel to maybe give you guys a clue to tell me if this normal at the beginning or something that just outright tells me I'm not a beer guy

On April 26 2011 03:38 emperorchampion wrote:
As a good rule of thumb, stay away from beer brewed in Quebec or in the US.
Wow that's a really ignorant thing to say. I'd also say you're wrong. Go pick up a bottle of Unibroue beer like La Fin Du Monde— say it's crap if you want, but then most people would probably just think you have a terrible (unique to be less harsh, lol) sense of taste.
On April 26 2011 03:56 Cragus wrote:
You are probably drinking bad beers. La Fin du Monde is a good Quebecois beer that you might want to try; La Fin du Monde is a Belgian-style ale with very high ABV (9%) so don't drink too many, but it is quite flavourful and rather sweet. Innis & Gunn is a Scottish beer that you may find palatable as well, as it is very sweet. A decent hefeweizen (usually strong notes of banana) might be a good intro into good beer for you as well. I would stay away from porters, stouts, and most pale ales as they are usually too bitter for someone that isn't used to it.

In most cases the flavours are not going to be as up front as pop, but while they are more subtle, they are also more complex and interesting. So if you want a pop-style drinking experience, you will be disappointed, but it is very rewarding to learn to appreciate the subtleties of a good brew.

Yeah I agree with this. I'd go beyond just saying La Fin Du Monde, but any Unibroue beer, since it's not an expensive beer, yet actually very high quality (most are also quite high alcohol content), and is brewed locally in Quebec, which makes it a very convenient and patriotic choice.

You might just not be much of a beer fan which is fine (although I recommend you keep your pop intake low regardless, it's not healthy, certainly much less healthy than beer. Well it's really much less healthy than virtually anything except non–edible/potable things like cigarettes), but you might also have just not tried good quality beers, or at least beers that suit your taste. Unibroue is a good place to start I'd say, but if that is too average, you can try other things. I personally really enjoyed some sort of cherry beer made in europe, I think it had a german name— it was really tastey and refreshing.
I also like really heavy beers like imperial/double stouts, chocolate stout, etc. so you could try something like that too (get something recommended or well-reviewed though, since you don't want to get a bad impression)
"Then he told me to tell you that he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" — "Well, you tell him that I said that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on Jeopardy!"
Xapti
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2473 Posts
April 26 2011 03:41 GMT
#98
On April 26 2011 06:04 Cragus wrote:
An aside for the individuals drinking cheap beer to get drunk due to cost: try calculating out the prices per unit alcohol sometime. I don't know about other areas, but in Ontario, it is actually cheaper to get drunk on certain strong microbrews than on Coors Light if you do alcohol equivalences. Just using Unibroue for this example since their beers are readily available at the Beer Store: La Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles from Unibroue are both 9% and Maudite is 8%. A 12 pack of any of the strong Unibroue beers is ~25$ at the Beer Store, while the same quantity of Coors Light is 20$. However, Coors is 4% ABV, therefore an alcohol equivalence for a 12 pack of Maudite would be 24 bottles of Coors, which costs 34$ (a 12 pack of La Fin du Monde/Trois Pistoles is equal to 27 Coors Lights, but a monetary equivalence is less meaningful there since you cannot purchase 27 packs). So, you end up saving ~9$ for the same amount of alcohol and the beer is much better.

I noticed the same sort of thing... except I think we only have/had 6-packs of unibroues here now, and I think they might have even stopped carrying them now just recently ... it seems like they might only have these large 750ml bottles now that are like 40% more expensive per ml !
"Then he told me to tell you that he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" — "Well, you tell him that I said that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on Jeopardy!"
Riku
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States1064 Posts
April 26 2011 04:08 GMT
#99

Speaking of decent inexpensive beers, I recommend anyone in the Portland area try out Henry Weinhard's brews. Yes, they are literally dirt cheap, but they can be extremely tasty for the price. Definitely a better choice for a beer loving college student than Coors or Keystone! I personally recommend their Special Reserve. It's yummy!
Creative Director, CEO at Stumbling Cat, Writer for Broken Joysticks - Twitter: @RikuKat
The_LiNk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada863 Posts
April 26 2011 04:14 GMT
#100
I guess I'm sort of like Torte De Lini. I like to drink soda too but I don't really particularly enjoy beer. I like the sweeter alchohol beverages like wine. I'm pretty confused from what people are suggesting him. Aside from certain labels, is there a general attribute/type of beer that would be more suitable for people like him and I?
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 30 31 32 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings168
SHIN 80
CranKy Ducklings SOOP45
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 330
ByuN 279
OGKoka 274
SHIN 80
MindelVK 20
Railgan 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 70786
Calm 10613
Rain 2527
FanTaSy 1251
Bisu 1127
soO 671
Soulkey 625
Shuttle 435
Stork 416
Rush 263
[ Show more ]
Soma 233
firebathero 208
Light 172
Snow 161
Last 148
Mind 87
Pusan 69
ToSsGirL 60
Bale 41
Shinee 39
Killer 35
Trap 33
hero 29
Hm[arnc] 29
Sharp 28
Mong 27
Free 27
Sexy 21
yabsab 18
Aegong 17
zelot 17
Shine 16
HiyA 13
scan(afreeca) 12
sorry 12
Sacsri 10
IntoTheRainbow 9
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6904
Dendi235
League of Legends
Reynor98
Counter-Strike
x6flipin532
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King73
Other Games
gofns34581
singsing2223
byalli575
B2W.Neo350
Pyrionflax252
ToD46
Chillindude13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 96
• Gemini_19 9
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV476
League of Legends
• Jankos3241
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 877
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 10m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 10m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 10m
OSC
11h 10m
Replay Cast
11h 10m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.