• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:59
CEST 13:59
KST 20:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7792 users

[M] The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS) - Page 54

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 52 53 54 55 56 102 Next
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-21 23:37:32
July 21 2012 21:54 GMT
#1061
On July 21 2012 23:44 flamewheel wrote:
I'm feeling like spewing out a pile of text nobody will read.

Overall without spoilers: Cinematography was impressive. Lots of hella impressive shots. Loved that I could recognize parts of NYC.


For anyone who's lived in Pittsburgh, it was way more obvious it was filmed there. The big building with the columns that Bane made his speeches from is one of CMU's main buildings, the stadium was Heinz Field (and featured actual Steelers as players lol), and you could even see UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) emblazoned on the stadium billboard!
Moderator
jeeeeohn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States1343 Posts
July 21 2012 22:03 GMT
#1062
The movie was good, would rank it beneath TDK and above BB. However, it felt very fast and moved from plot point to plot point, and for a three hour movie that's kinda ridiculous. I agree with one of the above posters in that it feels like it should have been two movies.

+ Show Spoiler +
Also, a bomb going off over water and Batman "fixing" his back, not to mention various other little plot holes, kinda killed my suspension of disbelief. Was that prison the same prison Bruce was locked up in at the beginning of BB?

Fight scenes were very good. The last brawl with Bane had me invested and at the edge of my seat.
If you can't jam with the best, then you have to slam with the rest.
TonyL2
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
England1953 Posts
July 21 2012 23:11 GMT
#1063
+ Show Spoiler +
Hmm, just my thoughts. But I never thought that Blake is Robin. But that's just his name as fan service by Nolan. I thought it looked more likely that he takes the mantle of Batman because Batman is meant to be a symbol that anyone can be. Why would Robin use his real name?
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
July 21 2012 23:20 GMT
#1064
On July 22 2012 07:03 jeeeeohn wrote:
The movie was good, would rank it beneath TDK and above BB. However, it felt very fast and moved from plot point to plot point, and for a three hour movie that's kinda ridiculous. I agree with one of the above posters in that it feels like it should have been two movies.

+ Show Spoiler +
Also, a bomb going off over water and Batman "fixing" his back, not to mention various other little plot holes, kinda killed my suspension of disbelief. Was that prison the same prison Bruce was locked up in at the beginning of BB?

Fight scenes were very good. The last brawl with Bane had me invested and at the edge of my seat.

+ Show Spoiler +
Keep in mind when he arrived in prison, the bomb was 5 months from going off. When he escaped, it was 23 days from going off. As someone who has broken his spine, I can say you'd be in good enough shape to walk and move around by then (since it wasn't a major spinal injury resulting in paralysis, it was more like a minorly dislocated vertebra). You probably couldn't go rock climbing, but I'm not exactly as strong and durable as the batman.

His portrayal of the pain from the broken spine was so fucking spot on though. It took me back.
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
Jukulmolder
Profile Joined April 2011
Spain254 Posts
July 21 2012 23:22 GMT
#1065
I really enjoyed it. Granted, the dark knight was(or seemed) better, but a lot of that was thanks to the Joker. Bane might not be as good, and a few things felt rushed, which led to some plotholes, but i liked the rythm of the movie, and the music was superb. Should have made it 2 movies though, this one deserved it, unlike harry potter and such.
"IT'S THE SCYTHE, ISN'T IT? PEOPLE ALWAYS NOTICE THE SCYTHE"
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
July 21 2012 23:37 GMT
#1066
I was very dissapointed with this film, mainly because of the poor story and writing. No spoilers here, just my dissatisfaction. 1/10.

...The Dark Knight, however, got a 10/10 for me. So sad.
The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
RogerX
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
New Zealand3180 Posts
July 21 2012 23:52 GMT
#1067
On July 21 2012 16:12 SmokeMonster wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +


- Bane's voice was funny and at times unbearable.
- Batman recovered from broken vertebrae real fast.
- Batman got destroyed by Bane; so, he did some push-ups and then he beats Bane no probs.
- Random wise old cripple
- Bane/Batman can appear randomly at any time.
- Didn't like how it kind of turned into a mini war film.
- Everyone with a name knew who Batman is.
- As soon as Batman passed the gun (or was a knife) to miranda, you knew she was gonna backstab him.
- Don't really get the point of the Miranda twist. It's like.. OK.. she betrayed batman.. so what.. there is nothing special about her. The nuclear bomb was already gonna explode anyway; the twist didn't affect the outcome of that at all... also, who cares if she's the daughter of the old dude from batman begins.
- Film was 30 mins too long.


+ Show Spoiler +
I think I recall bane's mask is his greatest weakness. I think he feels no pain without it cus his mask cancels out pain? I'm not sure but Batman was aiming for his mask this time which led him to victory than before.

Stick it up. take it up. step aside and see the world
bourne117
Profile Joined May 2010
United States837 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 00:10:27
July 21 2012 23:57 GMT
#1068
First off I want to say I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a great way to end the series. However I was a little upset with the ending.
+ Show Spoiler +
Personally I feel like the movie ends much better if Batman actually died. It shows he truly sacrificed everything for Gotham. The ending is a really nice feel good moment but it just seems like him dying is the way it had to end. (also if he actually died warner bros can't have a sequel without Nolan just for more money thus ruining this AMAZING trilogy)
Also I just feel like pointing this out. Bane said the bomb had a 6 mile blast radius. Given the time that the bomb had left when batman left the city (about 2 minutes) just to clear the blast radius he would have had to go around 180 mph. That doesn't account for the resulting tidal wave or the radiation that could easily be blown back into the city.

Edit:
+ Show Spoiler +
Also I think TDK and TDKR are actually very close to each other. I had to really think about the two movies to really compare them. After thinking about it I think TDK is the better movie and better movie in the trilogy. What the joker put the city through seemed much worse than Bane. The joker motives was to corrupt the entire city and drop even the best down to his level. Where as Bane simply wanted to get rid of a corrupt city (even though organized crime was already gone from the city so that doesn't even make that much sense anymore). And finally the Jokers performance was unbelievable and ultimately gives the edge to TDK. He was scary yet you couldn't wait for him to be on screen next. Bane was truly scary also and probably more so but you never connected with him like the Joker. Never wanted to know what he would do next or why.

Also in terms of the pace of the movie I am glad they didn't make it 2 movies. They would have needed to add a lot of filler to accomplish that and the 2 movies separately wouldn't have felt as good as the movie in its current state. The fast pace keeps you in the movie the entire time. And in a 2.5 hour movie that can be very important.
QO Feasting
Sanctimonius
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom861 Posts
July 22 2012 00:41 GMT
#1069
Interesting point about the city having removed organised crime so it wasn't corrupt anymore I'd say keep in mind the news of the past few years, the Occupy movements, the sub-prime crisis and international depression brought on by the failures of banking and the systems that are supposed to limit their excesses. Bane didn't see organised crime as the corruption, he saw the bankers, the corporations, the stock brokers as the corrupt. Remember his conversation at the stock exchange?

'There's no money here, there's nothing you can steal.'
'No? Then why are you here?'

Paraphrasing but that's about right. This is a film based on reality - Bane took the oppressed, the downtrodden, the poor, the dispossessed, the underbelly, and gave them the belief that the system that failed them and cast them aside was itself corrupt and they could take it down. Bane believed implicitly in this ideal and so did his men, who were willing to die for him and his beliefs. He appealed to his men, and by extension the viewers, and made them think about the relationship we have with things that we buy, about the system of government and society in which we live, and offered an opposing view, demanding us to consider which was more fair? Is it worse to steal with guns rather than numbers and computers? Is it better to control the lives of people through force and fear, or motivation and money? I really enjoyed this aspect of the film, and in some ways it was a much more subtle and intelligent film than the previous two.

Personally, I feel there's a lot of anger out there directed towards government, big business and the capitalist system as a whole, especially considering it affects us all, and yet we, individually, can do little to affect our own lives. DKR tapped into this resentment in a very interesting way.
You live the life you choose.
Prime`Rib
Profile Joined September 2010
United States613 Posts
July 22 2012 00:42 GMT
#1070
On July 22 2012 08:57 bourne117 wrote:
First off I want to say I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a great way to end the series. However I was a little upset with the ending.
+ Show Spoiler +
Personally I feel like the movie ends much better if Batman actually died. It shows he truly sacrificed everything for Gotham. The ending is a really nice feel good moment but it just seems like him dying is the way it had to end. (also if he actually died warner bros can't have a sequel without Nolan just for more money thus ruining this AMAZING trilogy)
Also I just feel like pointing this out. Bane said the bomb had a 6 mile blast radius. Given the time that the bomb had left when batman left the city (about 2 minutes) just to clear the blast radius he would have had to go around 180 mph. That doesn't account for the resulting tidal wave or the radiation that could easily be blown back into the city.

Edit:
+ Show Spoiler +
Also I think TDK and TDKR are actually very close to each other. I had to really think about the two movies to really compare them. After thinking about it I think TDK is the better movie and better movie in the trilogy. What the joker put the city through seemed much worse than Bane. The joker motives was to corrupt the entire city and drop even the best down to his level. Where as Bane simply wanted to get rid of a corrupt city (even though organized crime was already gone from the city so that doesn't even make that much sense anymore). And finally the Jokers performance was unbelievable and ultimately gives the edge to TDK. He was scary yet you couldn't wait for him to be on screen next. Bane was truly scary also and probably more so but you never connected with him like the Joker. Never wanted to know what he would do next or why.

Also in terms of the pace of the movie I am glad they didn't make it 2 movies. They would have needed to add a lot of filler to accomplish that and the 2 movies separately wouldn't have felt as good as the movie in its current state. The fast pace keeps you in the movie the entire time. And in a 2.5 hour movie that can be very important.


You can't really compare Joker to Bane because their method are vastly different. Joker is just pure arnachy while Bane is more methodical. Also, Bane wear the mask all the time so it is hard to gauge his emotion.
... funerals are insane, the chicks are so horny, its not even fair, its like fishing with dynamite ...
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 00:45:49
July 22 2012 00:43 GMT
#1071
Saw the movie.

It was good. What was impressive was that they constructed a story that ties to together the previous two films into a true trilogy. It is NOT a standalone film. If you haven't seen Batman Begins or The Dark Knight, it's not nearly as enjoyable.

They also managed to take and juggle inspiration from various story arcs and characters from the comics and make them seem plausible or grounded in Nolan's Batman universe. I really like how Bane had been reinvented and depicted in this, even if his voice was borderline indecipherable in some scenes.

The only downside is some greedy, ambitious sequences and 'doomsday scenarios' that drive the plot and themes but generate some holes. You definitely have to be willing to suspend disbelief on several occasions, or else they become distractions in an otherwise 'gritty' or 'realistic' world that Nolan builds. They're the kinds of things that you would ignore in a Marvel film, but are glaring with Nolan's aesthetic. Nolan also has a nasty habit of 'smash-cutting' his way through obvious plot holes that beg the questions, "How, why, where ... ?"

For example, in the Dark Knight, I despised the concept of 'Bat Sonar' and how it was implemented. It was a ridiculous over-the-top excuse to force visual effects into an otherwise gritty crime drama. But I'm willing to let that slide to so I can enjoy the movie as a whole.

There are definitely circumstances in 'Rises' that seem either too pulpy or comic-booky that you just have to buy into.

Otherwise, I highly recommend it, just take it with a grain of salt and be impressed that someone successfully made a comic book movie trilogy that takes itself seriously.

aaronthebaron80
Profile Joined March 2011
21 Posts
July 22 2012 00:44 GMT
#1072
I really liked the part where Bane said, "mmmf hphp mlllojfj kjksksksj bbrbrbrrjwj hg wuwywu ozpzosizzi."
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
July 22 2012 00:48 GMT
#1073
On July 22 2012 09:44 aaronthebaron80 wrote:
I really liked the part where Bane said, "mmmf hphp mlllojfj kjksksksj bbrbrbrrjwj hg wuwywu ozpzosizzi."

if you couldn't understand him, that's a you problem, not a him problem. He spoke pretty clearly.
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
bourne117
Profile Joined May 2010
United States837 Posts
July 22 2012 00:56 GMT
#1074
On July 22 2012 09:42 Prime`Rib wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2012 08:57 bourne117 wrote:
First off I want to say I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a great way to end the series. However I was a little upset with the ending.
+ Show Spoiler +
Personally I feel like the movie ends much better if Batman actually died. It shows he truly sacrificed everything for Gotham. The ending is a really nice feel good moment but it just seems like him dying is the way it had to end. (also if he actually died warner bros can't have a sequel without Nolan just for more money thus ruining this AMAZING trilogy)
Also I just feel like pointing this out. Bane said the bomb had a 6 mile blast radius. Given the time that the bomb had left when batman left the city (about 2 minutes) just to clear the blast radius he would have had to go around 180 mph. That doesn't account for the resulting tidal wave or the radiation that could easily be blown back into the city.

Edit:
+ Show Spoiler +
Also I think TDK and TDKR are actually very close to each other. I had to really think about the two movies to really compare them. After thinking about it I think TDK is the better movie and better movie in the trilogy. What the joker put the city through seemed much worse than Bane. The joker motives was to corrupt the entire city and drop even the best down to his level. Where as Bane simply wanted to get rid of a corrupt city (even though organized crime was already gone from the city so that doesn't even make that much sense anymore). And finally the Jokers performance was unbelievable and ultimately gives the edge to TDK. He was scary yet you couldn't wait for him to be on screen next. Bane was truly scary also and probably more so but you never connected with him like the Joker. Never wanted to know what he would do next or why.

Also in terms of the pace of the movie I am glad they didn't make it 2 movies. They would have needed to add a lot of filler to accomplish that and the 2 movies separately wouldn't have felt as good as the movie in its current state. The fast pace keeps you in the movie the entire time. And in a 2.5 hour movie that can be very important.


You can't really compare Joker to Bane because their method are vastly different. Joker is just pure arnachy while Bane is more methodical. Also, Bane wear the mask all the time so it is hard to gauge his emotion.

They are different characters but that doesn't mean I can't use that as a rational for comparing the movies.
QO Feasting
EscPlan9
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2777 Posts
July 22 2012 01:02 GMT
#1075
On July 22 2012 09:48 Chargelot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2012 09:44 aaronthebaron80 wrote:
I really liked the part where Bane said, "mmmf hphp mlllojfj kjksksksj bbrbrbrrjwj hg wuwywu ozpzosizzi."

if you couldn't understand him, that's a you problem, not a him problem. He spoke pretty clearly.


It also was a "me" problem then too. I found much of his dialog difficult to understand. I oftentimes had to piece together the parts I understood with the context to make sense of it.
Undefeated TL Tecmo Super Bowl League Champion
zidaneshead
Profile Joined November 2010
245 Posts
July 22 2012 01:04 GMT
#1076
On July 22 2012 10:02 EscPlan9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2012 09:48 Chargelot wrote:
On July 22 2012 09:44 aaronthebaron80 wrote:
I really liked the part where Bane said, "mmmf hphp mlllojfj kjksksksj bbrbrbrrjwj hg wuwywu ozpzosizzi."

if you couldn't understand him, that's a you problem, not a him problem. He spoke pretty clearly.


It also was a "me" problem then too. I found much of his dialog difficult to understand. I oftentimes had to piece together the parts I understood with the context to make sense of it.


It was weird, he first time I saw it in an UltraAVX theatre which is supposed to have better sound, I sat on the rightmost part of the isle and I thought it was hard to understand at times, but then I saw it again in a normal theatre, sat in the center of the isle and could understand him clearly.
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
July 22 2012 01:14 GMT
#1077
On July 22 2012 10:04 zidaneshead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2012 10:02 EscPlan9 wrote:
On July 22 2012 09:48 Chargelot wrote:
On July 22 2012 09:44 aaronthebaron80 wrote:
I really liked the part where Bane said, "mmmf hphp mlllojfj kjksksksj bbrbrbrrjwj hg wuwywu ozpzosizzi."

if you couldn't understand him, that's a you problem, not a him problem. He spoke pretty clearly.


It also was a "me" problem then too. I found much of his dialog difficult to understand. I oftentimes had to piece together the parts I understood with the context to make sense of it.


It was weird, he first time I saw it in an UltraAVX theatre which is supposed to have better sound, I sat on the rightmost part of the isle and I thought it was hard to understand at times, but then I saw it again in a normal theatre, sat in the center of the isle and could understand him clearly.


Hmmm, interesting. I was sitting on the right side of a theatre, and he was difficult to understand in some scenes. You're probably onto something here.
bourne117
Profile Joined May 2010
United States837 Posts
July 22 2012 01:21 GMT
#1078
On July 22 2012 10:14 Defacer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2012 10:04 zidaneshead wrote:
On July 22 2012 10:02 EscPlan9 wrote:
On July 22 2012 09:48 Chargelot wrote:
On July 22 2012 09:44 aaronthebaron80 wrote:
I really liked the part where Bane said, "mmmf hphp mlllojfj kjksksksj bbrbrbrrjwj hg wuwywu ozpzosizzi."

if you couldn't understand him, that's a you problem, not a him problem. He spoke pretty clearly.


It also was a "me" problem then too. I found much of his dialog difficult to understand. I oftentimes had to piece together the parts I understood with the context to make sense of it.


It was weird, he first time I saw it in an UltraAVX theatre which is supposed to have better sound, I sat on the rightmost part of the isle and I thought it was hard to understand at times, but then I saw it again in a normal theatre, sat in the center of the isle and could understand him clearly.


Hmmm, interesting. I was sitting on the right side of a theatre, and he was difficult to understand in some scenes. You're probably onto something here.

I had the same problem sitting on the right side of the theater in IMAX. Planning on seeing it again so good to know if you have better seats he is more understandable.
QO Feasting
jeeeeohn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States1343 Posts
July 22 2012 01:29 GMT
#1079
On July 22 2012 08:20 Chargelot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2012 07:03 jeeeeohn wrote:
The movie was good, would rank it beneath TDK and above BB. However, it felt very fast and moved from plot point to plot point, and for a three hour movie that's kinda ridiculous. I agree with one of the above posters in that it feels like it should have been two movies.

+ Show Spoiler +
Also, a bomb going off over water and Batman "fixing" his back, not to mention various other little plot holes, kinda killed my suspension of disbelief. Was that prison the same prison Bruce was locked up in at the beginning of BB?

Fight scenes were very good. The last brawl with Bane had me invested and at the edge of my seat.

+ Show Spoiler +
Keep in mind when he arrived in prison, the bomb was 5 months from going off. When he escaped, it was 23 days from going off. As someone who has broken his spine, I can say you'd be in good enough shape to walk and move around by then (since it wasn't a major spinal injury resulting in paralysis, it was more like a minorly dislocated vertebra). You probably couldn't go rock climbing, but I'm not exactly as strong and durable as the batman.

His portrayal of the pain from the broken spine was so fucking spot on though. It took me back.


You know, that actually makes me feel better about that minor plot hole.

What bugs me more than anything is the terrible sense of pacing. BB and TDK are much better films in this regard, where the audience isn't just being shuttled from one plot point to another. There's no room in DKR to exult in the aesthetic or character interaction or anything. For example:

+ Show Spoiler +
When Catwoman betrays Bruce, the sequence leading up to that (where they're fighting through the sewers) was so quick it almost felt cheap and shoehorned. This is a constant problem where every key moment is displaced by ten minutes of forgettable filler. The whole movie felt like it was saying, "okaaaay now time to wrap this up!"

Same thing with Batman's escape sequences, which happened in rapid succession and really spoiled the isolation and despair he was supposed to be feeling.

How did Bane transport Bruce to the prison? How the fuck did Bruce escape back to Gotham if it's on another continent (which is what's implied). Nolan has this annoying habit of cutting to a scene with the character in question suddenly there or doing something without explaining how or why. That information isn't necessary, but when it's constantly omitted the film starts to feel like it's telling me to forget something and focus on the OH BIG SHINY PLOT POINT.

If you can't jam with the best, then you have to slam with the rest.
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 01:46:22
July 22 2012 01:45 GMT
#1080
On July 22 2012 10:29 jeeeeohn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2012 08:20 Chargelot wrote:
On July 22 2012 07:03 jeeeeohn wrote:
The movie was good, would rank it beneath TDK and above BB. However, it felt very fast and moved from plot point to plot point, and for a three hour movie that's kinda ridiculous. I agree with one of the above posters in that it feels like it should have been two movies.

+ Show Spoiler +
Also, a bomb going off over water and Batman "fixing" his back, not to mention various other little plot holes, kinda killed my suspension of disbelief. Was that prison the same prison Bruce was locked up in at the beginning of BB?

Fight scenes were very good. The last brawl with Bane had me invested and at the edge of my seat.

+ Show Spoiler +
Keep in mind when he arrived in prison, the bomb was 5 months from going off. When he escaped, it was 23 days from going off. As someone who has broken his spine, I can say you'd be in good enough shape to walk and move around by then (since it wasn't a major spinal injury resulting in paralysis, it was more like a minorly dislocated vertebra). You probably couldn't go rock climbing, but I'm not exactly as strong and durable as the batman.

His portrayal of the pain from the broken spine was so fucking spot on though. It took me back.


You know, that actually makes me feel better about that minor plot hole.

What bugs me more than anything is the terrible sense of pacing. BB and TDK are much better films in this regard, where the audience isn't just being shuttled from one plot point to another. There's no room in DKR to exult in the aesthetic or character interaction or anything. For example:

+ Show Spoiler +
When Catwoman betrays Bruce, the sequence leading up to that (where they're fighting through the sewers) was so quick it almost felt cheap and shoehorned. This is a constant problem where every key moment is displaced by ten minutes of forgettable filler. The whole movie felt like it was saying, "okaaaay now time to wrap this up!"

Same thing with Batman's escape sequences, which happened in rapid succession and really spoiled the isolation and despair he was supposed to be feeling.

How did Bane transport Bruce to the prison? How the fuck did Bruce escape back to Gotham if it's on another continent (which is what's implied). Nolan has this annoying habit of cutting to a scene with the character in question suddenly there or doing something without explaining how or why. That information isn't necessary, but when it's constantly omitted the film starts to feel like it's telling me to forget something and focus on the OH BIG SHINY PLOT POINT.



It's definitely a Nolan thing. He races from scene to scene, and either expects people to follow along or ignore a rather obvious hole in the pole. This is true in Inception, too. Either the director is missing something or the audience is missing something, but Nolan is pushes the story forward quickly in the hopes that people can't tell the difference.


Prev 1 52 53 54 55 56 102 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings182
SHIN 123
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 348
ByuN 298
SHIN 123
MindelVK 28
Railgan 27
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 75844
Calm 10637
Rain 2510
Bisu 1404
FanTaSy 876
soO 594
Stork 435
Shuttle 349
Soulkey 320
Rush 259
[ Show more ]
Soma 225
firebathero 204
Snow 166
Last 151
Light 99
Mind 80
Pusan 68
ToSsGirL 55
Sea.KH 47
Trap 38
Bale 37
Mong 33
hero 32
Hm[arnc] 32
Sharp 32
Killer 31
Free 22
Aegong 20
sorry 19
Sexy 17
zelot 17
yabsab 16
Shine 15
HiyA 12
Sacsri 10
IntoTheRainbow 8
Noble 8
scan(afreeca) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7294
Dendi406
League of Legends
Reynor104
Counter-Strike
x6flipin308
fl0m64
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King71
Other Games
gofns35832
singsing2190
byalli542
B2W.Neo503
Pyrionflax272
ToD114
Chillindude11
Trikslyr0
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV229
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 91
• Gemini_19 15
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV521
League of Legends
• Jankos3306
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1046
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 2m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 2m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 2m
OSC
11h 2m
Replay Cast
11h 2m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.