• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:50
CEST 18:50
KST 01:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7926 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 132

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 130 131 132 133 134 244 Next
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
January 07 2012 17:17 GMT
#2621
But if headphones were tuned like that (many are), then they would sound brighter than speakers, with relatively high high-frequency content.

If you had headphones with the same effective FR as speakers at a given distance, then what?
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-07 18:43:21
January 07 2012 18:42 GMT
#2622
On January 08 2012 01:31 LaaLaaLeevi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2012 22:59 Deadeight wrote:
On January 07 2012 22:13 LaaLaaLeevi wrote:
I never listened it loud. Should have taken much more breaks though.


Just because a headphone is closer to your ear does not make it more damaging, unless you have it too loud. It makes no difference whether the speaker is next to your ear or 200m away, it's the volume that reaches your ear that counts.


That is not true.

"In loudspeaker reproduction, sounds must travel several feet before reaching the listener's ears. By the time they arrive, a portion of the high frequencies have been absorbed by the air. Low frequencies are not absorbed as much, but they are more felt through bone conduction than actually heard. With headphones, the ears hear all frequencies without any attenuation, because the transducers are literally pressed against them. Thus, when listening to headphones at the same effective volume level as loudspeakers, headphones may still transmit louder high frequencies that are more likely to cause hearing damage."

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/articles/hearing_art.htm


But half-good headphones aren't just small loudspeakers, the highs are toned down in comparison so that you don't have to turn it up high just to hear the bass. Maybe it was different in the 90s when that article was written and people used walkmans with headphones stolen off aeroplanes, but I don't believe it to be true now.
gwg
Profile Joined August 2011
Finland92 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-08 13:39:11
January 08 2012 13:35 GMT
#2623
Hi guys!
Im looking for headphones. I'll be using them with iPod/laptop. My budget is max 300 euros. What I need:
- Sound isolation (doesnt have to be perfect - but so that I can relax when flying/commuting)
- Good sound (ofc)
(-) Design

Have come up with the following ones:
-Bose QC15 (apparently overpriced)
-ATH-M50s
-B&W P5
-Denon AH-NC800

What do you recommend?
Girls Day/Rainbow/Nine Muses
Zax19
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Czech Republic1136 Posts
January 08 2012 17:51 GMT
#2624
On January 07 2012 22:13 LaaLaaLeevi wrote:
I never listened it loud. Should have taken much more breaks though.

If you look at the charts you need like 82dB 24/7 to harm your hearing without any louder sound that that. What you're describing is not the issue of sound, but the fact that ear is not designed to be covered for a long time (let alone filled with IEMs). Hearing damage is not the only cause of tinnitus, but also ear infection and that can easily be caused by extended use of headphones . There are several other causes so you need to check up on all of them, it's not just about hearing damage.
Really Blizz, really? - Darnell
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
January 08 2012 18:22 GMT
#2625
On January 08 2012 22:35 gwg wrote:
Hi guys!
Im looking for headphones. I'll be using them with iPod/laptop. My budget is max 300 euros. What I need:
- Sound isolation (doesnt have to be perfect - but so that I can relax when flying/commuting)
- Good sound (ofc)
(-) Design

Have come up with the following ones:
-Bose QC15 (apparently overpriced)
-ATH-M50s
-B&W P5
-Denon AH-NC800

What do you recommend?



It depends how much you commute. The QC15 is over-priced for the sound quality perhaps, yes. But I'll be honest I have not heard a noise-cancelling headphone that can compete with the bose, that is their strength. If you are mainly using them on a train or flying, the audio quality with a Bose is better simply because it doesn't have aeroplane noise.

The difference between sound isolation and noise-cancelling is enormous, so it really depends on how much you fly/travel.
gwg
Profile Joined August 2011
Finland92 Posts
January 08 2012 22:39 GMT
#2626
On January 09 2012 03:22 Deadeight wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2012 22:35 gwg wrote:
Hi guys!
Im looking for headphones. I'll be using them with iPod/laptop. My budget is max 300 euros. What I need:
- Sound isolation (doesnt have to be perfect - but so that I can relax when flying/commuting)
- Good sound (ofc)
(-) Design

Have come up with the following ones:
-Bose QC15 (apparently overpriced)
-ATH-M50s
-B&W P5
-Denon AH-NC800

What do you recommend?



It depends how much you commute. The QC15 is over-priced for the sound quality perhaps, yes. But I'll be honest I have not heard a noise-cancelling headphone that can compete with the bose, that is their strength. If you are mainly using them on a train or flying, the audio quality with a Bose is better simply because it doesn't have aeroplane noise.

The difference between sound isolation and noise-cancelling is enormous, so it really depends on how much you fly/travel.


Thx for your input!
Ok, what would you go for if sound isolation is good enough?
Girls Day/Rainbow/Nine Muses
recline
Profile Joined December 2010
United States76 Posts
January 08 2012 22:42 GMT
#2627
I got Beats Studio for music and Triton AX pro for gaming!
DeathAngel
Profile Joined October 2011
7 Posts
January 08 2012 22:45 GMT
#2628
while beats are nice, i find they are very overpriced for what they are
tuho12345
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
4482 Posts
January 08 2012 23:12 GMT
#2629
Get the M50 to save money, I used the P5 and I think it's quite good at the apple store, but at my house it's just nothing special.
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
January 08 2012 23:20 GMT
#2630
On January 09 2012 07:39 gwg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2012 03:22 Deadeight wrote:
On January 08 2012 22:35 gwg wrote:
Hi guys!
Im looking for headphones. I'll be using them with iPod/laptop. My budget is max 300 euros. What I need:
- Sound isolation (doesnt have to be perfect - but so that I can relax when flying/commuting)
- Good sound (ofc)
(-) Design

Have come up with the following ones:
-Bose QC15 (apparently overpriced)
-ATH-M50s
-B&W P5
-Denon AH-NC800

What do you recommend?



It depends how much you commute. The QC15 is over-priced for the sound quality perhaps, yes. But I'll be honest I have not heard a noise-cancelling headphone that can compete with the bose, that is their strength. If you are mainly using them on a train or flying, the audio quality with a Bose is better simply because it doesn't have aeroplane noise.

The difference between sound isolation and noise-cancelling is enormous, so it really depends on how much you fly/travel.


Thx for your input!
Ok, what would you go for if sound isolation is good enough?



It depends a little on what you listen to. Something like the ATH-M50 is very popular and a great headphone, really nice bass on it. I think the DT770 is another very popular one. Personally I listen to a lot of classical music and prefer a headphone without the bass emphasis. If you prefer a headphone which is more "neutral" both the Shure SRH840 and the Fischer FA-003 are brilliant at that price point.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the other two you mentioned in your post.
TrojanSC
Profile Joined December 2011
United States27 Posts
January 08 2012 23:25 GMT
#2631
I have blue Steelseries Siberia V2, so I guess those would qualify as a "gaming" headset.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill
logikly
Profile Joined February 2009
United States329 Posts
January 08 2012 23:28 GMT
#2632
Logitech G35 <3... Also Anyone know of a surround sound headset that isnt USB that has above and beyond quality sound. Must have good bass for my dubstep.
함은정,류화영,남규리
Aeropunk
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia255 Posts
January 09 2012 12:45 GMT
#2633
Hey, guys I own a Steelseries Siberia V2 and I've had them for about a year, but suddenly they've lost all bass and is sounding really tinny. Did a quick search on google and it looks like a couple other guys have had the same problem. Anyone on TL come across this?

btw, I know they never had lot's of bass, but all the sounds were very crisp and clear. Now it just sounds like I have two tin cans strapped to the side of my head.

Also,
On January 09 2012 08:28 logikly wrote:
Logitech G35 <3... Also Anyone know of a surround sound headset that isnt USB that has above and beyond quality sound. Must have good bass for my dubstep.
wondering the same thing, since it looks like I'll be getting new headphones!
LaaLaaLeevi
Profile Joined June 2011
200 Posts
January 09 2012 16:12 GMT
#2634
On January 09 2012 02:51 Zax19 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2012 22:13 LaaLaaLeevi wrote:
I never listened it loud. Should have taken much more breaks though.

If you look at the charts you need like 82dB 24/7 to harm your hearing without any louder sound that that. What you're describing is not the issue of sound, but the fact that ear is not designed to be covered for a long time (let alone filled with IEMs). Hearing damage is not the only cause of tinnitus, but also ear infection and that can easily be caused by extended use of headphones . There are several other causes so you need to check up on all of them, it's not just about hearing damage.


Definetely true, tinnitus can have many causes. I had tinnitus in my right ear, very silent thought, when I have worked a lot headphones on. Of course its possible that there are other causes which have made it louder etc.

After that I went to see a very loud movie, Transformers 3 and since that, my both ears have been ringing last 9 months. My doctor said that its very possible that I have had tinnitus coming for a long time but last loud exposure finally triggered it in both ears.
gosublade
Profile Joined May 2011
632 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-09 17:16:51
January 09 2012 16:41 GMT
#2635
Could someone review Creative Fatality? I had them for a few months but then a buddy of mine stepped on them. They were sweet enough that I'm thinking about buying them again, but having second thoughts.
[image loading]

Also, I'm one to put comfort above anything else. What would be the best ones for $100-$200?
<3
Not even death can save you from me.
seiferoth10
Profile Joined May 2010
3362 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-10 00:14:56
January 10 2012 00:12 GMT
#2636
On January 09 2012 08:28 logikly wrote:
Logitech G35 <3... Also Anyone know of a surround sound headset that isnt USB that has above and beyond quality sound. Must have good bass for my dubstep.

Surround sound that isn't usb? Uhh, that would mean it has 3.5mm jacks for front/center/back/whatever? I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that.

And now my rant: surround sound in headphones is a sham. The space in between the driver and your ear in headphones is not even close to big enough to resolve any sort of surround sound effect. Obviously it works with speakers, but not with headphones.

Edit: And the ones that advertise multiple drivers? That's an even bigger scam. That means they put a bunch of tiny, shitty drivers to accomplish what is impossible in the first place. So despite not even accomplishing any sort of surround sound effect, the small drivers now make the headphones sound like shit when in stereo. No bueno.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-10 04:41:16
January 10 2012 04:38 GMT
#2637
This is for people who know a few things about sound hardware.

So I recently got some Sennheiser HD650s and I'm looking for some good stuff to drive them. Not long ago, someone suggested the Yulong D100 which I keep as a definite option as it combines both a DAC and an AMP, plus it has good reviews. It goes for around $450-500 which is a bit on the expensive side for me, but it's OK. I've also been looking at the Little Dot MKiii and I'm thinking I would like to try a tube amp. However, now I have a few questions.


1- How much should I spend on a DAC to go with a $250 AMP and what are some good DACs that I could use paired with the Little Dot MKiii? I would like to put the DAC under the AMP too, so it's better if it looks decent.

2- Would it work / make sense to purchase a Little Dot MKiii and use it with my Auzentech Bravura sound card temporarily until I can find the money to get a DAC? (Note: This would imply that I would use the sound card's 6.3mm AMP'd jack -> Little Dot's RCA inputs.)

3- Are there other options around $400-600 (closer than $400 is good) for both DAC and AMP?
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
seiferoth10
Profile Joined May 2010
3362 Posts
January 10 2012 05:30 GMT
#2638
On January 10 2012 13:38 Djzapz wrote:
This is for people who know a few things about sound hardware.

So I recently got some Sennheiser HD650s and I'm looking for some good stuff to drive them. Not long ago, someone suggested the Yulong D100 which I keep as a definite option as it combines both a DAC and an AMP, plus it has good reviews. It goes for around $450-500 which is a bit on the expensive side for me, but it's OK. I've also been looking at the Little Dot MKiii and I'm thinking I would like to try a tube amp. However, now I have a few questions.


1- How much should I spend on a DAC to go with a $250 AMP and what are some good DACs that I could use paired with the Little Dot MKiii? I would like to put the DAC under the AMP too, so it's better if it looks decent.

2- Would it work / make sense to purchase a Little Dot MKiii and use it with my Auzentech Bravura sound card temporarily until I can find the money to get a DAC? (Note: This would imply that I would use the sound card's 6.3mm AMP'd jack -> Little Dot's RCA inputs.)

3- Are there other options around $400-600 (closer than $400 is good) for both DAC and AMP?


I'm probably not the best for this as I don't know a lot about tubes, but I'll give it a shot.

1. LittleDot makes a DAC, go with that. Another DAC that I've heard is good is the HRT MusicStreamer II, here: http://www.whathifi.com/review/hrt-music-streamer-ii

2. Would it work? Yes. Would it make sense? No. I checked and the Bravura doesn't have a line out, so you're stuck with the headphone out, which is already amplified by the card. So what you end up hearing in your headphones will be double amped, and you have no idea if the two amp sections will play nice with each other.

3. The only other name I've heard being thrown around in tubeland is Schiit. You can check their stuff here:
http://schiit.com/

Well, I tried. I'm no expert on tubes, so research research research.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
January 10 2012 05:58 GMT
#2639
Ah thanks for the heads up about question 2, I'll look into it.

As for the Little Dot DAC, it's a bit too expensive for me running over $300. I must say it's very tempting though.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
January 10 2012 06:00 GMT
#2640
On January 10 2012 14:30 seiferoth10 wrote:
2. Would it work? Yes. Would it make sense? No. I checked and the Bravura doesn't have a line out, so you're stuck with the headphone out, which is already amplified by the card. So what you end up hearing in your headphones will be double amped, and you have no idea if the two amp sections will play nice with each other.

I think the green stereo out jack is a line out and may not be passed through the headphone amp?


Anyhow, if you really want to spend $400, I would guess...CEntrance DACport (not LX, you want the standard DACport with the amp)?

http://www.stereophile.com/content/centrance-dacport-usb-headphone-amplifier-measurements
http://centrance.com/products/dacport/

I know CEntrance licenses out some USB receiver code to other companies, including those making high-end studio gear, and their MicPort and other products are well regarded in the pro audio / recording space.

I'd be a little more wary of the random audiophile company that stuffs brand-name audiophile components into a fancy-looking enclosure (in addition to cheapo stuff, instead of getting what works) and then proceeds with typical audiophile marketing tactics and pseudoscience. Some of those products may be good, but sometimes you get complete fails like headphone amps that deliver 2V transients on power on/off, extremely high jitter, 0 dBFS signals clipping, DAC chips running at 192 kHz no matter what the input is, etc.
Prev 1 130 131 132 133 134 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM627
TKL 206
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 627
ByuN 223
TKL 206
ProTech143
UpATreeSC 61
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28973
Calm 3285
Shuttle 1492
Horang2 499
Mini 431
Soulkey 222
Rush 179
firebathero 124
Mind 75
Zeus 69
[ Show more ]
hero 51
Shine 43
Hyun 38
Free 34
sorry 25
Terrorterran 24
ToSsGirL 23
PianO 22
Trap 20
Aegong 18
Killer 18
JYJ 16
Sexy 16
Rock 15
Bale 15
scan(afreeca) 15
HiyA 13
Sacsri 9
Hm[arnc] 8
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc6776
Dendi1449
League of Legends
KnowMe35
Counter-Strike
fl0m3900
Fnx 552
x6flipin455
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King95
ChuDatz34
Other Games
singsing1942
Liquid`RaSZi1450
ceh9516
Beastyqt511
Khaldor315
crisheroes257
C9.Mang0251
dupreeh225
Livibee220
420jenkins210
IndyStarCraft 130
QueenE99
Trikslyr96
Dewaltoss73
JuggernautJason7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH284
• Hinosc 13
• Reevou 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3339
• WagamamaTV537
League of Legends
• Nemesis2878
• TFBlade505
Other Games
• Shiphtur891
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
17h 10m
INu's Battles
18h 10m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
20h 10m
OSC
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.