• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:48
CEST 09:48
KST 16:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8667 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 679

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 677 678 679 680 681 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
November 18 2015 19:14 GMT
#13561
Si, senor. That's surprising. I was under the impression the large majority of SEs used C or C++.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-18 19:50:01
November 18 2015 19:48 GMT
#13562
Well, the reason schools like teaching C is because it teaches you a lot about memory management the hard way, and it's also really good at teaching you about data structures. My school used C as well.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
November 18 2015 22:31 GMT
#13563
On November 19 2015 04:14 WarSame wrote:
Si, senor. That's surprising. I was under the impression the large majority of SEs used C or C++.

I suggest you look through a bunch of job offers of employers in your region and/or employers you'd like to work for and find out what languages they are hiring for. Job offers in the future (when you actually apply for one) might not ask for the same languages anymore, but there will always be an old code base that at least needs to be maintained.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
November 18 2015 22:51 GMT
#13564
In my area it's all Java/C#/Web Suite. Those are more of software development jobs vs. actual SE though.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Cyx.
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada806 Posts
November 19 2015 02:49 GMT
#13565
On November 18 2015 17:30 Manit0u wrote:
Nice. Just out of curiosity, was my answer to him any good? I'd like for someone obviously more knowledgeable in C than me to give a comment on this little monster I've created. I really need to work my C-foo back up a bit

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/general/134491-the-big-programming-thread?page=677#13538

Well, I'll bite :D the only thing that's a little tricky in this is the Counters_{create,destroy} functions, and in my opinion using those at all here is a major no-no. You don't need to allocate the struct Counters on the heap, you're destroying it right away anyways - let the compiler do the work for you, put it on the stack. Then pass &counters to all Counters_test_* functions instead of counters.

Also, your naming is pretty damn weird in my experience C programmers tend to pick either PascalCase or snake_case (pretty infrequently camelCase) but either way, pick one and stick with it lol
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-19 08:06:57
November 19 2015 08:04 GMT
#13566
On November 19 2015 11:49 Cyx. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2015 17:30 Manit0u wrote:
Nice. Just out of curiosity, was my answer to him any good? I'd like for someone obviously more knowledgeable in C than me to give a comment on this little monster I've created. I really need to work my C-foo back up a bit

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/general/134491-the-big-programming-thread?page=677#13538

Well, I'll bite :D the only thing that's a little tricky in this is the Counters_{create,destroy} functions, and in my opinion using those at all here is a major no-no. You don't need to allocate the struct Counters on the heap, you're destroying it right away anyways - let the compiler do the work for you, put it on the stack. Then pass &counters to all Counters_test_* functions instead of counters.

Also, your naming is pretty damn weird in my experience C programmers tend to pick either PascalCase or snake_case (pretty infrequently camelCase) but either way, pick one and stick with it lol

The function names would throw me off a bit if I was reading that. The function is called test but it also increments a pointer value rather than returning anything. Also yeah, I'm working in C but I like the advice given. The only thing I'd change is wrapping the second code in an inc_time() function.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
November 19 2015 10:53 GMT
#13567
Heh, it's been a while since I did anything in C. I guess I'm too sullied by OOP now
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
November 19 2015 13:00 GMT
#13568
On November 19 2015 07:31 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2015 04:14 WarSame wrote:
Si, senor. That's surprising. I was under the impression the large majority of SEs used C or C++.

I suggest you look through a bunch of job offers of employers in your region and/or employers you'd like to work for and find out what languages they are hiring for. Job offers in the future (when you actually apply for one) might not ask for the same languages anymore, but there will always be an old code base that at least needs to be maintained.


That is definitely true. On the other hand, maintaining legacy code is hell. Fixing code you wrote 6 month ago yourself is already terrible, fixing code others wrote 6 years ago can kill you.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
November 19 2015 15:11 GMT
#13569
My codebase is 24 years old :D
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
November 19 2015 15:45 GMT
#13570
We have one developer who's working with Delphi. Part of the reason he got hired
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
November 19 2015 17:42 GMT
#13571
On November 19 2015 22:00 Morfildur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2015 07:31 spinesheath wrote:
On November 19 2015 04:14 WarSame wrote:
Si, senor. That's surprising. I was under the impression the large majority of SEs used C or C++.

I suggest you look through a bunch of job offers of employers in your region and/or employers you'd like to work for and find out what languages they are hiring for. Job offers in the future (when you actually apply for one) might not ask for the same languages anymore, but there will always be an old code base that at least needs to be maintained.


That is definitely true. On the other hand, maintaining legacy code is hell. Fixing code you wrote 6 month ago yourself is already terrible, fixing code others wrote 6 years ago can kill you.

It's rare to get a job where you don't have to work with old code in one way or another. Better accept that possibilty and be prepared for it than ignoring it.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-19 17:52:38
November 19 2015 17:47 GMT
#13572
Am I the only one who actually enjoys refactoring code? Every time I refactor my own code it feels like I just lost 100 pounds. It does suck tho when it's just completely fucked up from the core and it's better to just rewrite it.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
November 19 2015 17:56 GMT
#13573
On November 20 2015 02:47 Itsmedudeman wrote:
Am I the only one who actually enjoys refactoring code? Every time I refactor my own code it feels like I just lost 100 pounds of weight. It does suck tho when it's just completely fucked up from the core and it's better to just rewrite it.

I actually do like refactoring if I get the time to do it properly. Sadly that's usually not the case because stuff needs to get done.
Rewriting legacy code (that is in use) from scratch is usually a bad idea beacuse by the time you're done rewriting you'll be faced with a huge amount of incompatabilities that stem from bugs in the legacy code (that have been worked around) AND your own code. It's better to develop a plan how to refactor the legacy code in small steps and then do those one by one.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Nemphis
Profile Joined August 2011
Belgium1 Post
November 19 2015 21:05 GMT
#13574
On November 17 2015 05:46 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2015 05:06 WarSame wrote:
What are your opinions on the best Javascript IDE? Writing it normally is kinda painful. I tried WebStorm and it looked good but it costs money. What are good free options?

At my company devs use a mix of Sublime (me and another guy), Atom (one guy), and something else (other guy on a different project). I personally love Sublime, and you can get some extensions to make autocompletes and code-aware upgrades.


I personally really like atom, but if you want an editor for web-based stuff, you could give brackets a try.
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
November 19 2015 22:26 GMT
#13575
On November 18 2015 22:35 Faust852 wrote:

I was wondering, should I take a Client-Server type of approach, like the Server side is handling the Model-Controler type of things, and a second part, the Client, just handling the View and sending request to the Controler on the Server ?

Yes this sounds good


And is the networking part be handled by the Model, or by the Controler ?

All the logic should be handled by controllers, models are just there to hold values.
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
Faust852
Profile Joined February 2012
Luxembourg4004 Posts
November 20 2015 18:09 GMT
#13576
On November 20 2015 07:26 sabas123 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2015 22:35 Faust852 wrote:

I was wondering, should I take a Client-Server type of approach, like the Server side is handling the Model-Controler type of things, and a second part, the Client, just handling the View and sending request to the Controler on the Server ?

Yes this sounds good

Show nested quote +

And is the networking part be handled by the Model, or by the Controler ?

All the logic should be handled by controllers, models are just there to hold values.


Thank you
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-21 00:26:21
November 21 2015 00:24 GMT
#13577
On November 18 2015 17:30 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2015 11:27 phar wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On November 17 2015 18:12 Itsmedudeman wrote:
I meant something that could look like


if(count == 500) {
s++;
if(s > 59) {
m++;
s = 0;
if(m > 59) {
h++;
m = 0;
if(h > 12)
h = 0;
}
}
}

I could probably think of a better example where it just looks unreadable, but you get my point.


In that instance it sounds like you're trying to replicate some timer logic. The answer to that specific domain then is to use a proper library to handle clock state for you, instead of re-inventing the wheel.


Or, if say you're working in embedded C on a microcontroller (having personally written something roughly like that in embedded C before lol), maybe you don't have access to a proper clock library. But you can structure it more cleanly:

int const ticks_per_second = 500;
...
// I don't know how your system is, but might be that one or more of these
// are modified in a volatile context (interrupt, w/e). change as needed
volatile int counter;
volatile int seconds;
volatile int minutes;
volatile int hours;

...

if(counter % ticks_per_second == 0) {
increment_seconds();
}

...

increment_seconds() {
seconds = (seconds + 1) % 60;
if (!seconds) { // I'm lazy shoot me
increment_minutes();
}
}

...
so on and so forth




Now in a better situation you build up a proper time library, which doesn't even keep track of seconds, minutes, hours individually. Just calculate that shit on the fly when you need it:

int const ticks_per_second = 500;
...
// Now we store only counter, and derive everything else.
volatile int counter;

int getSeconds() {
return counter / ticks_per_second;
}

int getMinutes() {
...


Now I realize this doesn't answer your general case, but usually if you get wonky logic you may be able to abstract something out.


Nice. Just out of curiosity, was my answer to him any good? I'd like for someone obviously more knowledgeable in C than me to give a comment on this little monster I've created. I really need to work my C-foo back up a bit

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/general/134491-the-big-programming-thread?page=677#13538


Sorry I didn't see it earlier. Without more details then yea, generally breaking the incrementing out into smaller readable chunks helps. This isn't really a C-specific concern though, you'd find the same problem in Java, C++, etc. Idk about the other wrappers, my C is too rusty.

I was just pointing out the fact that it looked like embedded timer code, and thus you might not actually need all those variables incremented every time.
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18449 Posts
November 21 2015 01:12 GMT
#13578
On November 20 2015 07:26 sabas123 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2015 22:35 Faust852 wrote:

I was wondering, should I take a Client-Server type of approach, like the Server side is handling the Model-Controler type of things, and a second part, the Client, just handling the View and sending request to the Controler on the Server ?

Yes this sounds good

Show nested quote +

And is the networking part be handled by the Model, or by the Controler ?

All the logic should be handled by controllers, models are just there to hold values.

In this case I agree, but in general, I would say that your model exists to abstract away from your values. If you store the time in milliseconds, but are only ever interested in whether it is morning, afternoon or night, that is "logic" that your model should do. Your model should provide the appropriate and necessary information. Often that's just passing on values, but it can require computation.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
November 21 2015 23:54 GMT
#13579
Is this an accurate statement:

In Java, an interface is a collection of methods that will be used by any class that implements the interface.
Prillan
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden350 Posts
November 22 2015 00:01 GMT
#13580
On November 22 2015 08:54 travis wrote:
Is this an accurate statement:

In Java, an interface is a collection of methods that will be used by any class that implements the interface.

You're correct, if you mean "has to be implemented by" instead of "will be used by".

I'd write something like: An interface is a collection of method signatures that has to be implemented in all classes that implement the interface.
TheBB's sidekick, aligulac.com | "Reality is frequently inaccurate." - Douglas Adams
Prev 1 677 678 679 680 681 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 200
Hyun 102
Shinee 87
Killer 47
Hm[arnc] 46
Snow 23
ZergMaN 20
sorry 5
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
League of Legends
JimRising 668
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King104
Other Games
summit1g8142
WinterStarcraft511
ArmadaUGS71
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick736
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream179
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2345
League of Legends
• Lourlo1567
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 12m
INu's Battles
4h 12m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
7h 12m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 12m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 12m
Replay Cast
15h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 3h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.