• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:18
CEST 06:18
KST 13:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8269 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 676

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 674 675 676 677 678 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Cynry
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
810 Posts
November 09 2015 09:38 GMT
#13501
On November 07 2015 10:36 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2015 06:22 Cynry wrote:
Which version of PHP/Apache are you using ? Nothing better to do while I wait for hero to get crushed, so might as well try to help...

Add the following to the end of httpd.conf to increase the Apache stack size to 8MB.

<IfModule mpm_winnt_module>
ThreadStackSize 8388608
</IfModule>


Found that in a bunch of different topics


PHP 5.6.14, Apache 2.4.17. And before you ask, my PHP memory limit is set to 2GB

Edit: Increasing the stack size worked. Thanks a ton!


Wow really ? Haha, wouldn't have bet on it ^^ Nice !
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
November 10 2015 06:28 GMT
#13502
I would like your opinions on TensorFlow, from Google. What implications does it have? Does anyone have a link to any established educational discussion on it?
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-11 09:52:18
November 10 2015 11:23 GMT
#13503
On November 09 2015 18:38 Cynry wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2015 10:36 Manit0u wrote:
On November 07 2015 06:22 Cynry wrote:
Which version of PHP/Apache are you using ? Nothing better to do while I wait for hero to get crushed, so might as well try to help...

Add the following to the end of httpd.conf to increase the Apache stack size to 8MB.

<IfModule mpm_winnt_module>
ThreadStackSize 8388608
</IfModule>


Found that in a bunch of different topics


PHP 5.6.14, Apache 2.4.17. And before you ask, my PHP memory limit is set to 2GB

Edit: Increasing the stack size worked. Thanks a ton!


Wow really ? Haha, wouldn't have bet on it ^^ Nice !


I tried everything without much hope of it succeeding. Was surprised it did
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-11 17:50:48
November 11 2015 17:44 GMT
#13504
I came up with a pretty nifty trick in PHP/Symfony2 today. Had to create some entities and set some stuff as consts there. Judging by the rate at which we are extending/reusing our classes in various projects I've decided to make it much less painful in the future.

Here are some snippets for those interested:

EntityInterface:

interface EntityInterface
{
const MY_CONST = 'something';
const MY_OTHER_CONST = 'something else';
}


Entity:

class Entity implements EntityInterface
{
protected $someField;

public function setSomeField($value)
{
$interfaces = class_implements(get_class($this));
$interfaceReflection = new ReflectionClass(array_shift($interfaces));
$allowedValues = array_values($interfaceReflection->getConstants());

if (!in_array($value, $allowedValues)) {
throw new \Exception(sprintf('Invalid value "%s". Allowed values: "%s"', $value, implode(', ', $allowedValues)));
}

$this->someField = $value;
}
}


All cool and dandy. We've just added a guard for our entity field to only accept values set currently in interface consts. It doesn't matter if we add, remove or change those consts, the code is working without us touching anything in the Entity class (I guess there might be problems when implementing more interfaces but I'll figure it out later).

Now another cool part. Building forms...

Config (YAML):

parameters:
app.form.type.entity.class: App\AcmeBundle\Form\Type\EntityType

services:
app.form.type.entity:
class: %app.form.type.entity.class%
arguments:
- %app.interface.entity.class%
calls:
- [ setChoices ]
tags:
- { name: form.type, alias: app_entity }


The form:

class EntityType extends AbstractType
{
private $interfaceClass;
private $choices = [];

public function __construct($interfaceClass)
{
$this->interfaceClass = $interfaceClass;
}

public function setChoices()
{
$interfaceReflection = new ReflectionClass($this->interfaceClass);
$values = array_values($interfaceReflection->getConstants());

foreach ($values as $value) {
$this->choices[$value] = sprintf('app.entity.some_field.values.%s', $value);
}
}

public function buildForm(FormBuilderInterface $builder, array $options)
{
$builder
->add(
'someField',
'choice',
[
'label' => 'app.entity.fields.some_field',
'choices' => $this->choices,
]
);
}
}


Here we do pretty much the same thing. We're building our options list for the select field dynamically based on what we have defined as constants in our EntityInterface. We use dependency injection to provide the class name and we automatically call the setChoices method in our form type as soon as it's instantiated.

I really want to experiment with this some more now
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
espirocephas
Profile Joined November 2015
Belgium2 Posts
November 11 2015 23:50 GMT
#13505
--- Nuked ---
phantomfive
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)404 Posts
November 13 2015 16:26 GMT
#13506
On November 10 2015 15:28 WarSame wrote:
I would like your opinions on TensorFlow, from Google. What implications does it have?

It means that anyone who wants to build a flow graph will now have an easier time of it. They won't have to write the code from scratch.

Generally, if someone tries to hype AI and say we're almost to Star Trek levels, they're completely wrong. See also: "AI Winter." They keep coming.
To ease another's heartache is to forget one's own - Lincoln
xboi209
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1173 Posts
November 15 2015 06:06 GMT
#13507
If anyone has FreeBSD with Clang installed, can you try compiling my project: https://github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server
A user has reported errors when compiling, the one that got me confused is that kqueue is undefined(even though CMake is able to find it).
https://github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server/issues/184
http://www.reddit.com/r/broodwar/
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
November 15 2015 16:00 GMT
#13508
Ugh. Assignment operations in if conditions... Hate that.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
November 15 2015 16:08 GMT
#13509
It's only really forgiveable in file line reading.


if (line=file.readLine()){

}


Otherwise it's extremely risky coding - very easy to miss. I remember reading a story about someone trying to slip a backdoor that gave root access in an if assignment. Something like


if (user.level=0){

}


The story is here. A fairly interesting read.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Soan
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
New Zealand194 Posts
November 15 2015 19:06 GMT
#13510
On November 16 2015 01:08 WarSame wrote:
Otherwise it's extremely risky coding - very easy to miss. I remember reading a story about someone trying to slip a backdoor that gave root access in an if assignment. Something like


if (user.level=0){

}
.


The first tutor I had, basically the guy who taught me programming, taught me to put the constant first, so you can avoid accidentally doing something like that. Now I just do it automatically all the time, co-workers thought it was a bit odd, the first time they noticed during a code review, but no-one's asked me to change it.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
November 15 2015 19:26 GMT
#13511
Assignment in if conditions is never forgiveable, be it line reading or anything else.

Putting the constant first makes code harder to read - at least for me and all the programmers I know. And it only fixes part of the problem. It doesn't do anything when you compare/assign two variables. You should just rely on automated code checks to prevent that kind of stuff. Just have it enforce a "no assignment in condition" rule.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Soan
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
New Zealand194 Posts
November 15 2015 20:26 GMT
#13512
It doesn't make the code harder to read if it's what you have been doing your entire coding career.
Cyx.
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada806 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-15 20:27:55
November 15 2015 20:27 GMT
#13513
On November 16 2015 04:26 spinesheath wrote:
Assignment in if conditions is never forgiveable, be it line reading or anything else.

Putting the constant first makes code harder to read - at least for me and all the programmers I know. And it only fixes part of the problem. It doesn't do anything when you compare/assign two variables. You should just rely on automated code checks to prevent that kind of stuff. Just have it enforce a "no assignment in condition" rule.

I know a lot of C programmers who prefer


while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {...}


to


char c = getchar();
while (c != EOF) {
...
c = getchar();
}


I used to really dislike assignments in conditionals too, but in this situation, it significantly reduces the typing and repetition necessary to manage the loop variable, so... I don't mind it at all now, especially since any decent C compiler will warn you if there's an un-bracketed assignment in a condition.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
November 15 2015 22:54 GMT
#13514
I agree for the same reasons. Even if you do-while it, it's still 1 or 2 unnecessary/ugly lines of code. IMO file line reading in the condition is safer and easier to read.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-16 01:43:49
November 16 2015 01:42 GMT
#13515
Alright, I'm getting confused to hell by Youtube's API. I've made a python script which use Oauth 2 to connect, then adds a video from a youtube link I'm given to my youtube playlist. However, it keeps giving me 403 - Daily Limit Exceeded. So I'm 99% sure it's not recognizing my Oauth credentials - but I have credentials, and I'm including them as

flow = flow_from_clientsecrets(CLIENT_SECRETS_FILE,
scope=YOUTUBE_READ_WRITE_SCOPE,
message=MISSING_CLIENT_SECRETS_MESSAGE)


where CLIENT_SECRETS is my json file with the id and secret. This is exactly what they say to do, but it doesn't work.

The exact error is: here. If anyone has any ideas please let me know - I have no leads to go on right now.

EDIT: The problem occurs only when I try to use the API to add an item to the playlist. It runs fine outside of that.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Thaniri
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1264 Posts
November 16 2015 05:24 GMT
#13516
Does anyone have an opinion on what sort of degree specialization is most valuable for a bachelors degree? I can choose from either mobile/web app development and newtwork admin/security.

Doing cursory google searching for jobs in my area, they pay about the same in the beginning but mobile/add development seems like it could lead to better growth potential into software development which pays better and is more interesting.

I know that this is a programming thread but at least some people here do work in this industry and I'd like to hear if they had anything to say on the topic.
Myrddraal
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia937 Posts
November 16 2015 05:49 GMT
#13517
On November 16 2015 14:24 Thaniri wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion on what sort of degree specialization is most valuable for a bachelors degree? I can choose from either mobile/web app development and newtwork admin/security.

Doing cursory google searching for jobs in my area, they pay about the same in the beginning but mobile/add development seems like it could lead to better growth potential into software development which pays better and is more interesting.

I know that this is a programming thread but at least some people here do work in this industry and I'd like to hear if they had anything to say on the topic.


From my experience, mobile/web development is probably most sought after for jobs, the only downside being that I think it would likely have more competition. The other upside is that you can work on your own apps and websites in your spare time and attempt to make a living that way, or use them in your portfolio to help you get a job.
[stranded]: http://www.indiedb.com/games/stranded
phantomfive
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)404 Posts
November 16 2015 06:38 GMT
#13518
On November 16 2015 14:24 Thaniri wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion on what sort of degree specialization is most valuable for a bachelors degree? I can choose from either mobile/web app development and newtwork admin/security.

Out of those options, mobile is the best for maximizing income on average. Of course, there are exceptions and you can make plenty of money in all of those.
To ease another's heartache is to forget one's own - Lincoln
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
November 16 2015 18:39 GMT
#13519
I agree with the previous 2. Sys admin is alright, but there's a lot more available work in mobile/web development.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-16 19:08:01
November 16 2015 19:05 GMT
#13520
On November 16 2015 05:27 Cyx. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2015 04:26 spinesheath wrote:
Assignment in if conditions is never forgiveable, be it line reading or anything else.

Putting the constant first makes code harder to read - at least for me and all the programmers I know. And it only fixes part of the problem. It doesn't do anything when you compare/assign two variables. You should just rely on automated code checks to prevent that kind of stuff. Just have it enforce a "no assignment in condition" rule.

I know a lot of C programmers who prefer


while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {...}


to


char c = getchar();
while (c != EOF) {
...
c = getchar();
}


I used to really dislike assignments in conditionals too, but in this situation, it significantly reduces the typing and repetition necessary to manage the loop variable, so... I don't mind it at all now, especially since any decent C compiler will warn you if there's an un-bracketed assignment in a condition.

I hope you treat warnings as errors then, though. Obviously the most important part is that you can't make these kinds of mistakes. If you have an automatic check in place that only allows 100% safe assignments then I guess that's fine.

Plus I usually don't go as low level as reading a file line by or character by character. I instead use a method that enumerates the lines or characters for me. I'm thinking C# here, but surely C can do similar things too.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Prev 1 674 675 676 677 678 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 243
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 591
Larva 335
Leta 66
NaDa 48
TT1 23
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm224
League of Legends
JimRising 706
Other Games
summit1g10283
WinterStarcraft448
Mew2King110
ViBE83
ArmadaUGS52
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1376
BasetradeTV268
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream154
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota255
League of Legends
• Rush915
• Lourlo711
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 42m
INu's Battles
7h 42m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
10h 42m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 42m
Replay Cast
18h 42m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 6h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 11h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.