• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:57
CEST 14:57
KST 21:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7484 users

Why College Students Have Trouble Growing Up - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
December 03 2009 02:49 GMT
#61
Man, I'm seeing myself when I read that...
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
blue_arrow
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1971 Posts
December 03 2009 02:56 GMT
#62
very interesting read
| MLIA | the weather sucks dick here
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
December 03 2009 02:57 GMT
#63
On December 03 2009 10:34 ghostWriter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2009 09:36 meaculpa wrote:
Who's a philosophy professor to tell the rest of the world to "go get a job"? While most people have to get a job shortly after they get their BA/BS, he enjoyed another 3-8 year extension of his college life known as "grad school". Anyway, why should a job and marriage be the top aspirations of my life? The new generation must take on job to keep society running, but nobody will ever bullshit me into enjoying staying awake for 15 hours, fixing a bug carelessly made 5 years ago in some boring program maybe 1000 people in the world care about. I'd do it because I get paid and that's it. And marriage? I think misgivings about marriage would be very understandable given that 50% of marriages fail, quickly. Maybe it's time to reconsider it?


Agree. Philosophy is up there with psychology and theology for the sections with the easiest and most bullshit courses.


Sadly psycology is an easy course, it could be much much harder, the problem is you can really educate someone to be a psycologist, its kinda inate
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-03 03:05:34
December 03 2009 03:03 GMT
#64
On December 03 2009 04:17 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
Personal development occurs most dramatically in social interactions. It is in these interactions that students develop skills to relate to others, learn to deal with rejection and satisfy their needs to be known and loved for who they are. If the college social scene is dominated by alcohol and drugs, intoxication makes it exceedingly difficult to develop social skills, heighten responsiveness or deepen relationships. If every party centers on alcohol, students cannot confront new social problems to solve, find new ways of interacting with others or develop new possibilities for the deeper realization of the basic needs for recognition, empathy and friendship.


wait what? Most people who do drugs and drink at parties are pretty social and have lots of acquaintances and friends all over the place. Just think of this, if you are out of smokes and money and addicted, it forces you to go out and talk to people. Often times you make friends this way alone, this is one of the only pros to smoking cigarettes.

You don't nominally form solid and worthwhile relationships you get growth out of that way.

On December 03 2009 04:45 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2009 04:43 Amber[LighT] wrote:
On December 03 2009 04:33 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Don't a lot of college kids have shitty part time jobs anyways? Doesn't this cover all of that shit?


A lot of college kids don't have jobs at all.

so, what? You just live off parents money and/or student loans?
Then there's the problem right there. Students are babied.

I don't see a problem with it. I'd be willing to sacrifice my pride to be able to focus more on my education.
Hello
ShaperofDreams
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2492 Posts
December 03 2009 04:11 GMT
#65
I'm going through a quarter life crisis type thing right now, even though I'm only 19. I realize that nothing we do really matters.. and that most of the people I am supposed to model myself after I don't want to be. I think that I've trudged through this and I'm gonna start doing what I want to.
Bitches don't know about my overlord. FUCK OFF ALDARIS I HAVE ENOUGH PYLONS. My Balls are as smooth as Eggs.
seppolevne
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada1681 Posts
December 03 2009 04:13 GMT
#66

For all of its exhilaration and excitement, however, youth culture can only produce a repetition of adolescent forms of thought and action with no impetus toward development into mature forms of personal and social life.

What is an "adolescent form of thought" and how is the only possibility repeating it? What is a "mature form of personal life"? What is a "mature form of social life"?

...mainly because the college years are short and students either transfer, drop out or do not know what they want to do after college or where they want to do it. With this kind of uncertainty about the future, how can a student make a commitment to sustain a love relationship?

College is a 4-year program, the average time spent at a job is ~5 years.

Joe is accepted into the law program at Berkeley; Susan wishes to pursue a Ph.D. in physics at MIT. They cannot allow themselves to fall too much in love or the dream of one will have to give way to the dream of the other.

Because being accepted for a job in another city is completely different then studying there. And long-distance relationships never work out.

This paper needs to be covered in those little wikipedia [source?] notes.
J- Pirate Udyr WW T- Pirate Riven Galio M- Galio Annie S- Sona Lux -- Always farm, never carry.
miseiler
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States1389 Posts
December 03 2009 04:17 GMT
#67
I'm all for four subsidised years of kindergarten.

I think I needed that experience so that I could grow up later...otherwise how would I have gotten it out of my system and moved on?

Someone can say, "let's go do this stupid thing," and I can say, "I've already been there, done that, paid bail. You go on."
"Jinro soo manly wearing only a T-Shirt while the Koreans freeze in their jackets" -- Double_O
"He's from Sweden, man. We have to fight polar bears on our way to school." -- Yusername
il0seonpurpose
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5638 Posts
December 03 2009 04:32 GMT
#68
I want to get married now! :D
killercheebo
Profile Joined November 2009
Korea (North)46 Posts
December 03 2009 04:59 GMT
#69
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involuntary_celibacy
NORTH KOREA PWNS AT SC
lazz
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia3119 Posts
December 03 2009 05:09 GMT
#70

Characteristics of quarter-life crisis may include[citation needed]:

Realizing the pursuits of ones peers are useless
Confronting their own mortality
Watching time slowly take its toll on their parents, only to realize they are next
insecurity regarding the fact that their actions are meaningless
insecurity concerning ability to love themselves, let alone another person
insecurity regarding present accomplishments
re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
lack of friendships or romantic relationships, sexual frustration, and involuntary celibacy
disappointment with one's job
nostalgia for university, college, high school or elementary school life
tendency to hold stronger opinions
boredom with social interactions
loss of closeness to high school and college friends
financially-rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipatedly high cost of living, etc.)
loneliness, depression and suicide
desire to have children
a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you
frustration with social ills



Sounds like average human existence to me.
Deleted User 31996
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
843 Posts
December 03 2009 05:32 GMT
#71
This is why I recommend http://www.teach12.com/ to undergrads with nothing else to do with their time.

Extremely good primers into a variety of fields. Have students learn more, engage into arguments about different problems not related at all to their major all over getting trashed or waste time playing poker or whatever undergrads are stereotyped doing.

Note I say primer here in every single of the term, I don't expect one dvd viewing to be the all and end all, one must read after all
lvatural
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States347 Posts
December 03 2009 05:55 GMT
#72
On December 03 2009 13:11 ShaperofDreams wrote:
I'm going through a quarter life crisis type thing right now, even though I'm only 19. I realize that nothing we do really matters.. and that most of the people I am supposed to model myself after I don't want to be. I think that I've trudged through this and I'm gonna start doing what I want to.


Nothing we do really matters? How did you come to this conclusion? Because we all eventually die? Because we're such a small part of the universe? If your answer is something along these lines, then you should think think about this a bit more...

You're not supposed to 'copy' other people. It's about understanding and learning the rationale behind a person's actions. Take what you like and disregard what you disagree with to eventually create your own individual stance on how to live your own life.


--
perfectteeth
Profile Joined November 2009
United States30 Posts
December 03 2009 06:08 GMT
#73
hard to believe, but this is a really good article. REALLY good.
ShaperofDreams
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2492 Posts
December 03 2009 06:14 GMT
#74
On December 03 2009 14:32 liosama wrote:
This is why I recommend http://www.teach12.com/ to undergrads with nothing else to do with their time.

Extremely good primers into a variety of fields. Have students learn more, engage into arguments about different problems not related at all to their major all over getting trashed or waste time playing poker or whatever undergrads are stereotyped doing.

Note I say primer here in every single of the term, I don't expect one dvd viewing to be the all and end all, one must read after all


omg i wish i had money to pay for that stuff
Bitches don't know about my overlord. FUCK OFF ALDARIS I HAVE ENOUGH PYLONS. My Balls are as smooth as Eggs.
d3_crescentia
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4054 Posts
December 03 2009 06:16 GMT
#75
I think a lot of people are confusing social development with sociability, and part of social development and maturity is acknowledging and embracing the responsibility you have to yourself and to the other people around you.

Personal story: a few of my friends decided to hold a party last year, which ended up breaking the floor into their basement. Rather than man up and pay the bill (yeah, it'd be a shitty thing to do) they found however many excuses and made up some story about moving furniture. They lucked out with a pretty chill landlord (likely there was something ALREADY wrong with the floor), but the irresponsibility bothered me.

Another one: I've seen time and time again in college that when people take on the small responsibilities (i.e. running a student organization, planning events) that people tend to fuck themselves up big time. They're a bit more socially responsible than their peers, which is why they're nominated for the role in the first place, but they end up killing themselves trying to make everyone happy, and they start to antagonize everyone because they haven't developed the maturity to conduct themselves in a leadership position. This has happened to me.
once, not long ago, there was a moon here
baal
Profile Joined March 2003
10708 Posts
December 03 2009 06:48 GMT
#76
people who dont drink in college are nto more social at all, they are usually awkward outcasts.


I disagree with this theory in almost everything, its just conservative propaganda of some square headed asshat yearning for the old days.
Im back, in pog form!
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-12-03 06:56:38
December 03 2009 06:56 GMT
#77
On December 03 2009 15:14 ShaperofDreams wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2009 14:32 liosama wrote:
This is why I recommend http://www.teach12.com/ to undergrads with nothing else to do with their time.

Extremely good primers into a variety of fields. Have students learn more, engage into arguments about different problems not related at all to their major all over getting trashed or waste time playing poker or whatever undergrads are stereotyped doing.

Note I say primer here in every single of the term, I don't expect one dvd viewing to be the all and end all, one must read after all


omg i wish i had money to pay for that stuff

Yeah, that doesn't generally fall within a college student's budget...

Of course, the idea is sound, and there are certainly more affordable options for the same kind of learning.
Moderator
StorrZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States13922 Posts
December 03 2009 07:01 GMT
#78
4 year College is the new HS degree, :/ ;;
Hwaseung Oz fan for life. Swing out, always swing out.
leomon
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada169 Posts
December 03 2009 07:06 GMT
#79
Great read actually, althou I don't really agree with it.
Radians
Ganfei
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Taiwan1439 Posts
December 03 2009 07:32 GMT
#80
On December 03 2009 15:48 baal wrote:
people who dont drink in college are nto more social at all, they are usually awkward outcasts.


I disagree with this theory in almost everything, its just conservative propaganda of some square headed asshat yearning for the old days.


Yeah there's a big fucking surprise, Baal disagrees with something.
You are crushing me like a cheese sandwich
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 566
Railgan 52
MindelVK 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68339
Calm 11648
Rain 2382
Bisu 1722
FanTaSy 819
Shuttle 606
Stork 573
soO 454
Rush 338
Soma 237
[ Show more ]
firebathero 232
Snow 208
Last 175
Light 114
Mind 97
Pusan 72
Sea.KH 64
hero 58
Sharp 54
ToSsGirL 44
Free 42
Bale 39
Trap 35
Mong 28
Hm[arnc] 25
Aegong 23
zelot 20
Sexy 15
Noble 15
HiyA 14
yabsab 14
Sacsri 12
Shine 12
IntoTheRainbow 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Terrorterran 2
Icarus 1
Dota 2
Gorgc8519
Dendi787
Counter-Strike
fl0m2769
byalli1055
x6flipin269
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King92
Other Games
gofns35528
singsing2200
B2W.Neo591
Pyrionflax251
Hui .52
Trikslyr33
Chillindude15
Liquid`RaSZi15
Beastyqt8
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV224
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP52
• Dystopia_ 5
• Response 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV469
League of Legends
• Jankos3046
• Nemesis2806
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1262
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 3m
OSC
10h 3m
Replay Cast
10h 3m
OSC
23h 3m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.