• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:40
CEST 22:40
KST 05:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8994 users

Single player games!

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
July 09 2008 03:59 GMT
#1
Every once in a while, I have this urge to take a break from cs/sc and delve into some epic single player games. But its unfortunate that I never end up finishing them due to lost interest. I will blame the deteriorating quality in games and not my short attention span.

Anyways.. when I have this urge, I go googling for all kinds of games that arnt mainstream. You know, those games that end up in the shelf of some used book store. Most of them end up being terrible but the hidden gems are definintely there.

I will list some games I've come across (both well known and obscure).

Fallout series - I played the 2nd one. This series is popular for a reason. Gameplay is top notch. The freedom it gives the player is amazing. It might have been a little too much freedom for me though, because I lost interest after san francisco (getting imba guns with some tricks).

Neverwinter nights - Again, great game for rpg fans. I thoguht I was an rpg fan, but these days I get tired of reading so much text lol. I quit a third way through maybe.

Planscape torment - Haha, I couldnt play this game past the beginning cell that you are in. Too much reading and random clicking to find some wrench...

Space rangers 2 - Now here is a game that held my interest til the end. Its a fun as hell space adventure game. It has the same basic principles as most space games like diff alien races, trading, bounty hunting missions, etc. It has a great battle system that kept me interested, and I was always eager to find better weap drops from killed ships. Also, there is a decent RTS minigame when you try to liberate a planet. Another minigame exist inside wormholes. Your attack in the minigame changes as you equip different weaps on the ship prior to entering the wormhole.

Master of Orion II - Epic Epic game. Space rangers 2 got me into the space genre, and I stumbled upon this masterpiecee. Its the OG of games like Galactic civ. This differs from space rangers 2 in taht you dont control one ship, but a generalCant really describe the awesomeness, you just have to try this. I think its abandonware now?

Advent Rising - This was a pretty interesting game. Its a fast paced FPS game. The story was cowritten by Orson Scott Card (enders game. Overall, the game keeps a nice pace and isnt too drawn out. It was developed to be the first of a trilogy, but the game didnt do so well and ended up being dropped. Its still a good game, so might wana give it a try.

Throne of Darkness - This game is so lol. Its a diablo clone set in fuedal japan. Unlike diablo, you aquire 7 characters from the first mission. You can use up to 4 at a time and can switch them out anytime you want. You end up switching them out alot, which takes some micro because your chars get hurt FAST and the only practical way to heal them is to send them back to heal (chars only recharge when they are not in active party). Inventory management is a nightmare since all 7 characters will end up picking up various drops. This game might seem so wierd at first, but once you get the hang of it, its very playable. Just remember to pay special attention to wizard because that fucker cannot lvl up worth a damn until lvl 12 or something (get lava ring!). I may get back to this game someday, but right now I ditched it for

Freelancer - Space adventure in the same vein as space rangers 2. Its in 3d however. Not the zomg amazing graphics of today, but 2003 3D. Graphics are not bad at all though, and gameplay is what really counts right? Missions tend to get repetitive as fuck (go there and kill this), but combat doesnt get dull, and its fast paced. Oh and if you end up playing this, get the discovery mod which supposedly adds alot of content without disrupting the original feel of the game.

Games I'm interested in but didnt play yet(mainly due to antique computer):

Dawn of Magic, Mass effect, The Witcher, X3: Reunion, The bard's tale, Darkstar One.



Please share your opinions about any single player games that captivated you in the past o.O


I will end the post with this review of X3:Reunion.
OrderlyChaos
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1115 Posts
July 09 2008 04:10 GMT
#2
Mass Effect engaged me a lot more than NWN, even though it probably has twice as much text/dialogue. I just couldn't get "in" to the NwN storyline, though I did finish one of the expansions and several user mods (most are better than the game itself). Apparently the sequel has now been patched to the point of playable, but I haven't played it yet.

Continuing the Bioware theme, I love Knights of the Old Republic. Great story, engaging characters and lightsabers. I had fun. The sequel's okay, if not incredibly buggy.

Oblivion was another game that I really couldn't get into that much. I'm not really sure why, but I didn't find it as jawdroppingly amazing as many other people have.

I'm a bit curious about the Witcher, so hopefully someone here has played it and can give some feedback.
Nitrogen
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States5345 Posts
July 09 2008 04:17 GMT
#3
LOL IN VIDEO WHEN SHE SAYS "WHAT DOES A GIRL HAVE TO DO AROUND HERE TO GET SOME KHA'AK?"
UNFUCK YOURSELF
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
July 09 2008 05:15 GMT
#4
Oh yea, KOTOR was awesome. Can't go wrong with starwars + bioware. I havnt played the sequel though cus I read that it was rushed and its kinda gay.
Play
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Australia608 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-09 05:45:19
July 09 2008 05:45 GMT
#5
star wars games are really good, the jedi games are mad fun. you can shoot with laser pistols AND use your lightsaber
jmascis
NovaTheFeared
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States7232 Posts
July 09 2008 05:57 GMT
#6
That youtube video is genius.

"Unfortunately the Kha'ak lacks staying power at this point, look how fast they explode! I'm surrounded by blown Kha'ak but strangely unsatisfied."
日本語が分かりますか
Quesadilla
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1814 Posts
July 09 2008 05:58 GMT
#7
Dude, straight up - Max Payne.

I suffer from the same thing that you do, getting bored because of my constant engagement in the multiplayer experience, but Max Payne is a game (both 1 and 2) that I could get through and that I actually wanted to finish. It's super fun, you like shooters obviously, and it has a really nice feel to it. The storyline is awesome as well. Definitely play through them if you haven't yet.

Also, the single player campaign in Dungeon Siege 1 is awesome. Imagine Diablo 2 on steroids. A very similar feel with some awesome added extras. I am about to go through Dungeon Siege 2 myself.

If you appreciate DOS games, try Death Rally for racing, and Bolo for IMPOSSIBLE hardness in a simple puzzle game. Definitely 2 classics right there.

Anyways, good luck.
Make a lot of friends. Wear good clothes. Drink good beer. Love a nice girl.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
July 09 2008 06:03 GMT
#8
X3 is really good, lots of stuff to do... though it's really hard to start off since you get like no money, a crappy ship with crappy guns and crappy shields, and you don't have any rep... so you can't buy anything, pretty much. There are a few tricks to get set up and start making some money, and once you have a fairly steady income you can start making more money and eventually get yourself into decent stuff. Lots of micromanaging your freighters and stuff for a while, though, and combat isn't super awesome until you get some better stuff and can hunt tougher targets.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
iori_LT
Profile Joined May 2003
Lithuania675 Posts
July 09 2008 06:13 GMT
#9
Half life 2 series are awesome when it comes to single player

There are shitload of more games that i really enjoyed playing on single player, but Fallout series are probably the best so far
addicted to TL.net
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
July 09 2008 06:27 GMT
#10
I absolutely hated The Witcher and couldn't even get past the first real chapter. My biggest complaint with the game was that the conversations were stilted. If you asked questions out of order, the characters would often act surprised to learn things they already knew, ask questions they already knew the answers to, etc. Even if you went through dialogue options sequentially, it seemed like all the lines were recorded independently of each other and with no emotion. The combat was exceptionally weak, and the game contained quests that even MMORPG designers would have rejected for being too boring. Apparently it has a good story, but good luck getting to it.

Mass Effect, on the other hand, was very good and definitely worth playing.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Burned Toast *
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada2040 Posts
July 09 2008 06:30 GMT
#11
Try The witcher: the dvd-quality intro worth being seen... then throw the game to the trash.
TvT matchup is sometimes worse than jailtime
Polis
Profile Joined January 2005
Poland1292 Posts
July 09 2008 07:05 GMT
#12
Gothic I & II -great setting, some good quest that can be done in diferent way (mostly in G2), 3rd person view, combat system based on timing attacks/blocking in the right moment. Game is not ridiculously easy like oblivion where you could kill everything from start.
Divinek
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada4045 Posts
July 09 2008 08:09 GMT
#13
Master of orion 1 was an amazing game.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Oh goodness me, FOX tv where do you get your sight? Can't you keep track, the puck is black. That's why the ice is white.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-09 08:39:59
July 09 2008 08:30 GMT
#14
I'm so annoyed they haven't made a sequel for Advent Rising yet. Biggest cliffhanger of any video game ever.

Like it's not really even a god damn ending it's like a 3 parter TV show, it ends right when something interesting happens.
ARGH D: Anyway, I think the problem is the people who made the game don't own the rights to it and the people who own the rights to it are just sitting on them -.-

I'm actually playing Darkstar one right now.. it's, I dunno. It seems to be getting better but the characters/story started off just a liiiiiiiiiittle cheesy and the ship is kinda boring in the beginning (but as I said, it seems to be picking up steam ).

As for other fun single player games, well, if you like squad based tactical games you *have* to get UFO: Enemy Unknown, the first of the X-Com games. Brilliant game tbh!

Deus Ex was fun, although if you are crazy like me you'll end up reloading 500 times because you decided hey, I'm gonna go through this game killing as few people as possible (which lead to me doing several retakes cause stunning people with the prod can be difficult :D).

Escape Velocity Nova is pretty fun, it's kinda like freelancer/darkstar one etc but in 2D. It DOES have cheesy storylines (yes, there are a ton of them) IMO but fun all the same.

The White Chamber - short point and click adventure game with amaaaaaaazing atmosphere, I *LOVE* this game. So sosososo good. It's sort of a horror/sci-fi setting, very very very well worth playing. And hey, it's free! http://www.studiotrophis.com/site/home

Bioshock is totally worth buying if you can run it. Awesome atmosphere, pretty interesting story and characters (but I don't like the ending), fun gameplay. Very, very good game IMO.

Currently playing F.E.A.R and fuck me if the first mission isn't awesomely scary haha (I thought the first level in Bioshock, when you are exiting the bathosphere or whatever they call it, was suuuuuuper scary too btw, just the first 2 minutes of it). Anyway, game seems pretty good so far but I'm not very far in.

1213 is a sweet, semi-short, free platformer~ish game, http://reloaded.org/download/1213/171/ Very nice storyline and pretty good gameplay (although the controls CAN be frustrating when jumping over gaps and shit), old school graphics but I like 'em.

Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Xiberia
Profile Joined September 2007
Sweden634 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-09 11:03:11
July 09 2008 08:56 GMT
#15
Deus Ex is THE best single player rpg/fps you'll ever play. Try it. Now. Just don't quit at the first two missions or so. They are quite boring compared to the rest of the game.
0xDEADBEEF
Profile Joined September 2007
Germany1235 Posts
July 09 2008 09:27 GMT
#16
Morrowind (there's quite a bit of text/lore/background etc. but reading it is optional), Thief series, Bioshock, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Deus Ex, Jagged Alliance 2, NWN 2, Dawn of War.

If you like horror games then check out F.E.A.R. and System Shock 2.

These are my standard recommendations. Normally I also include BG and PS:T but you have to read quite a bit there.
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-09 09:35:54
July 09 2008 09:29 GMT
#17
On July 09 2008 14:58 Quesadilla wrote:
Dude, straight up - Max Payne.

I suffer from the same thing that you do, getting bored because of my constant engagement in the multiplayer experience, but Max Payne is a game (both 1 and 2) that I could get through and that I actually wanted to finish. It's super fun, you like shooters obviously, and it has a really nice feel to it. The storyline is awesome as well. Definitely play through them if you haven't yet.


I only played to Max Payne 2 but i have to agree, it is THE 3third person shooter on PC ( first game to use the bullet-time i guess) and the ambience is awesome ( very dark / depressing ), i really liked the "dream levels" for example.

On July 09 2008 14:58 Quesadilla wrote:
Also, the single player campaign in Dungeon Siege 1 is awesome. Imagine Diablo 2 on steroids. A very similar feel with some awesome added extras. I am about to go through Dungeon Siege 2 myself.


On the contrary i really disliked Dungeon siege. It was one of my worst experience in video gaming. I played it a lot during two days because i expected the story to improve. But it didnt, so i stopped to play this game. Gameplay is 10X worse than diablo 2, and design is as bad or maybe worse.
Dull is the perfect adjective for this game imo.

Now about that the two games i enjoyed the most:

Baldur's Gate 1+2: Arguably the greatest RPG, i'm playing a bit Planescape Torment at the moment, and now i understand why i liked BG so much. I think it has a perfect balance between dialogs / fights, i think that Torment is too talkative and incredibly easy, moreover the fights are boring imo. ( nevertheless i havent completed Torment, i was bored so i did a break, maybe it become harder after the underground part )

Baldur's Gate even normal difficulty mode is a real challenge for a new player, not only because he wont know where to find the best items but also because you can find some really dangerous opponents really fast if you arent cautious.
The storyline is also awesome, but i have a slightly preference in BG1 story, because when you start the game, you know nothing about your character, and that made me really eager to know why that Big guy in armor killed my father.


Deus EX: Another example of a game close to the perfection for me. Awesome music and story, some really cool characters, and the gameplay as Frozenarbiter said is so versatile that you can play this game in many different ways ( you can avoid to kill people and use stealth, you can try to hack computers and bots or you can play like a "standart" FPS ).
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
XCetron
Profile Joined November 2006
5226 Posts
July 09 2008 10:43 GMT
#18
I was actually considering getting X3: The Reunion but I haven't found much info on it. Someone convince me quick, gogo
0xDEADBEEF
Profile Joined September 2007
Germany1235 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-09 11:59:58
July 09 2008 11:54 GMT
#19
On July 09 2008 18:29 Boblion wrote:
On the contrary i really disliked Dungeon siege. It was one of my worst experience in video gaming. I played it a lot during two days because i expected the story to improve. But it didnt, so i stopped to play this game. Gameplay is 10X worse than diablo 2, and design is as bad or maybe worse.
Dull is the perfect adjective for this game imo.


Duller than Diablo is impossible. :p
I liked DS 2. Didn't play DS 1, but 2 is/was certainly a fun game for playing through it once.
Only redeeming point for Diablo 2 is that it's so simple that you can play it with casual gamer friends at any time. But this is about single player, so... DS 2 > D2.

Baldur's Gate 1+2: Arguably the greatest RPG, i'm playing a bit Planescape Torment at the moment, and now i understand why i liked BG so much. I think it has a perfect balance between dialogs / fights, i think that Torment is too talkative and incredibly easy, moreover the fights are boring imo. ( nevertheless i havent completed Torment, i was bored so i did a break, maybe it become harder after the underground part )


Torment is never hard... it's really all about the story, characters and immersion. Combat is like a fun addition to the game, not really an obstacle and certainly not what you're busy with most of the time.
You should finish the underground ASAP, you'll find something... interesting in the Drowned Nations Catacombs.
When I found that, I was really hooked and excited about finding out more.
If you didn't meet Many-as-One or the Silent King yet, that's also fun...
Polyphasic
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States841 Posts
July 09 2008 12:22 GMT
#20
lol at the cock jokes.
can't making a relationship last longer than 2 weeks, since 1984 :thumbs:
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 143
ProTech138
JuggernautJason83
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 204
Dewaltoss 103
Hyuk 70
Bale 20
League of Legends
Doublelift1850
Counter-Strike
fl0m1448
Fnx 795
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4869
crisheroes966
Khaldor965
Liquid`Hasu640
Other Games
summit1g7137
FrodaN2344
shahzam421
KnowMe377
XBOCT329
C9.Mang0195
ArmadaUGS132
ZombieGrub33
Trikslyr28
CosmosSc2 22
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV272
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream48
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH362
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2761
Other Games
• imaqtpie855
• Shiphtur287
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 20m
CranKy Ducklings
13h 20m
Online Event
14h 20m
FEL
19h 20m
AI Arena Tournament
20h 20m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 20m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.