• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:08
CEST 07:08
KST 14:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War595.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8350 users

The Official Fighting Games Topic - Page 29

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 296 Next
New Updated Fighting Game Thread
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-08 06:50:00
July 08 2008 06:49 GMT
#561
Concerning T9: I'm actually feeling more nervous and stressed right now than I have ever felt before any exam in university. The only time I can remember feeling more anxious was when I decided to tell a girl how I felt about her -- and this was before I learned how to be confident with women, so I was a wreck. (Actually, I was a nervous wreck before C3 as well, but at least for AH @ C3 I had lower expectations for myself than I do now.)

It's not even about anything in particular, like facing Justin Wong again. It's just general anxiety, mostly about stupid stuff, like what if I mess up in the early rounds.


... Uhhh okay it's gone now, lol. Started talking to my friend Jimmy comparing fighting games and StarCraft, and I completely forgot about T9 and the Brawl tournament I might be competing in this Wednesday. I don't even remember what else I was going to write here.

Oh by the way, I STILL can't do my "secret Kira strat" very well against humans. In fact, I think it is easy to escape after all, even if I had more practice with it. I'll still try it @ casuals this weekend, if I can, and record it too, but don't expect anything amazing.


Now I just have to get through the next 5 days without worrying about AHF and T9...
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
July 08 2008 08:32 GMT
#562
On July 08 2008 03:59 thedeadhaji wrote:
wow... riot stomp 1.5x forward only instant kill.... can it at least be blocked? or is it death on contact no matter what...


Can be blocked either way, it's not some broken death move.

Though you can kinda use it to punish whiffs against some characters, lol.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Harem
Profile Joined November 2007
United States11393 Posts
July 09 2008 00:09 GMT
#563


Oh shit, it's MvC3 baybee.

Or at least almost. Game still looks dope though. ;o
Moderator。◕‿◕。
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
July 09 2008 00:19 GMT
#564
haha damn i vaguely recognize some of the anime chars...who are the two capcom chars after morrigan?
Narrator
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States868 Posts
July 09 2008 23:02 GMT
#565
Anyone have links to downloads of videos? I really prefer the file over streaming.

3s and ST preferred but I enjoy watching almost all different fighters.

Thank you.
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
July 09 2008 23:48 GMT
#566
On July 09 2008 09:19 KOFgokuon wrote:
haha damn i vaguely recognize some of the anime chars...who are the two capcom chars after morrigan?


Batsu from Rival Schools
2nd one... I dont recognize at all, I mean I can read it but...
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
July 10 2008 00:31 GMT
#567
On July 09 2008 09:09 Harem wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ELtxzdh7nI

Oh shit, it's MvC3 baybee.

Or at least almost. Game still looks dope though. ;o




holy shit its 독수리오형재 (eagle 5? duno japanes name for it). That cartoon was so epic in korea when I was little.
Kingkosi
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States1215 Posts
July 10 2008 01:16 GMT
#568
Finally got my video of me and My friends playing 3rd Strike:



Chun Li (Me) vs Ken (Daniel)
Chun Li (Me) vs Sean (Charlie
Dudley (Me) vs Ken (Daniel)
Ryu (Los) vs Ken (Charlie)

Video is messed up it shows the same matches a couple of times in it bad editing
Twitter: @KingKosi
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
July 10 2008 01:17 GMT
#569
allow embedding
Kingkosi
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States1215 Posts
July 10 2008 01:35 GMT
#570
On July 10 2008 10:17 KOFgokuon wrote:
allow embedding

I did?
Twitter: @KingKosi
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
July 10 2008 01:41 GMT
#571
doesn't work
says video is not available when i try to watch
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 10 2008 01:44 GMT
#572
It says it's a private video when I try loading the URL on YouTube. (in any case, check the settings again)
Kingkosi
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States1215 Posts
July 10 2008 01:48 GMT
#573
On July 10 2008 10:44 Myrmidon wrote:
It says it's a private video when I try loading the URL on YouTube. (in any case, check the settings again)
K I had it set to private from previous videos that I uploaded I fixed it sorry about that guys.
Twitter: @KingKosi
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
July 10 2008 02:12 GMT
#574
On July 10 2008 10:16 Kingkosi wrote:
Finally got my video of me and My friends playing 3rd Strike:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=940lq-3cfEc

Chun Li (Me) vs Ken (Daniel)
Chun Li (Me) vs Sean (Charlie
Dudley (Me) vs Ken (Daniel)
Ryu (Los) vs Ken (Charlie)

Video is messed up it shows the same matches a couple of times in it bad editing


not sure which char your main is but some pointers. (if you want them)

your chun jumps too much. Try to go for a ground based, solid and stable play that controlls the distance and punishes mistakes. There was a time in the early days of 3s where pple said chun doesn't need to jump ever. That's an overexaggeration of course, but the fact that pple even conisdered this should tell you something about the fundamental nature of chun.

Dudley. Again you tend to jump too much, which is "okay" with dud if you buffer parry on the way up and down and pick your distances from which you jump. It doesnt seem like you know the dud stable combos, the least you can do after landing a down hk is middle ducking uppercut. If you can do the following combos 95% of the time you're in good shape

hk -> ex machinegun -> middle ducking upperct -> SAIII
hk -> ducking -> ducking cancel SAIII (for hit confirm)
down hk -> middle ducking uppercut -> SAIII
down lkx2 -> SAIII
forward hk -> crouch hit confirm -> SAIII (eye-time noncancel)

I spent hours practicing down lkx2 -> SAIII and forward hk -> crouch hit confirm -> SAIII (eye-time noncancel) last winter X_X
Kingkosi
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States1215 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-10 02:18:29
July 10 2008 02:15 GMT
#575
On July 10 2008 11:12 thedeadhaji wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2008 10:16 Kingkosi wrote:
Finally got my video of me and My friends playing 3rd Strike:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=940lq-3cfEc

Chun Li (Me) vs Ken (Daniel)
Chun Li (Me) vs Sean (Charlie
Dudley (Me) vs Ken (Daniel)
Ryu (Los) vs Ken (Charlie)

Video is messed up it shows the same matches a couple of times in it bad editing


not sure which char your main is but some pointers. (if you want them)

your chun jumps too much. Try to go for a ground based, solid and stable play that controlls the distance and punishes mistakes. There was a time in the early days of 3s where pple said chun doesn't need to jump ever. That's an overexaggeration of course, but the fact that pple even conisdered this should tell you something about the fundamental nature of chun.

Dudley. Again you tend to jump too much, which is "okay" with dud if you buffer parry on the way up and down and pick your distances from which you jump. It doesnt seem like you know the dud stable combos, the least you can do after landing a down hk is middle ducking uppercut. If you can do the following combos 95% of the time you're in good shape

hk -> ex machinegun -> middle ducking upperct -> SAIII
hk -> ducking -> ducking cancel SAIII (for hit confirm)
down hk -> middle ducking uppercut -> SAIII
down lkx2 -> SAIII
forward hk -> crouch hit confirm -> SAIII (eye-time noncancel)

I spent hours practicing down lkx2 -> SAIII and forward hk -> crouch hit confirm -> SAIII (eye-time noncancel) last winter X_X

Thats exactly why I want to upload videos here, I want to get better and I'm open to any tips or suggestions, in later days I'll upload more videos. I'll practice those combos suggested going to be a pain until my arcade stick arrives but I'll keep at it.
Edit: ehh I don't know what my main is, I use Chun Li, Dudley, and Yun, more Chun Li and Yun I like them the best.
Twitter: @KingKosi
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-10 05:28:49
July 10 2008 05:27 GMT
#576
In addition to "don't jump so much with Chun Li", here are my tips.

First of all: parry. Just to get you started vs your friends (i.e. this isn't expert advice, or stuff that would necessarily work against good players), here is a basic list of times when you should attempt a parry:

* Most weaker players (including your friends, I can see) attack as soon as they can after blocking a poke, so low-parrying after one of your pokes is blocked will often catch them.

* When someone's stuck in the corner, do walk-up throws. At some point they'll try to poke you out of it, and I GUARANTEE they will use a low-parryable move to do so. So at that point, instead of doing walk-up throw, you do walk-up halfway, low-parry, (if they didn't attack) walk-up throw. If you get a successful parry, cr.mk super.

* Another common tendency for weak players is: they try to sweep you as soon as you walk into sweeping range. So walk forward a bit, low-parry, then either block low, poke, or keep walking forward. If you get a successful parry, cr.mk super.

As you gain more experience and get used to parrying, you can start to parry based on your opponents' habits. E.g. when you did the blockstring cr.lk cr.mk, one of your friends would ALWAYS try to sweep you after that. This is a PERFECT example of when you want to parry specifically to counter your opponent's habit.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 10 2008 05:33 GMT
#577
Agh everybody play 3s.
+ Show Spoiler +
j/k, calm down

Okay, since it's where the competition is to be had, I've decided to invest more than 20 minutes into 3s in order to learn the game to some small (or larger?) extent. That is, if you guys can help find me a character to play! I figure I'll maximize my time by learning just one character to a barely proficient level.

My preferences/tendencies (to help figure out who I should pick):
  • I generally tend towards reactive, runaway, and zoning play rather than rushdown. Especially ground-based dash rushdown. Jumping being not terrible would be nice, although not really necessary.
  • I have a great love for projectiles, particularly those that stay on the screen a long time and...oh wait this is 3s, forget about the projectiles--I need to learn to live without them anyway.
  • I never really hopped on the hit-confirm-into-super bandwagon that started up some dozen years ago. Somehow the whole concept is slightly repulsive to me. I'd prefer a character/SA that is decent that does not rely on this for damage.
  • I hate Yun and Yang SAIII, especially Yun's. And custom combos, V-ism, A-groove, etc. -_-;;
  • Since I'd be learning a character from scratch and hopefully quickly, being easy to learn and also higher tier would be nice, especially the easy/fast to learn part.

What do you think the closest fit might be? Thanks.
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-10 05:47:21
July 10 2008 05:46 GMT
#578
(continuing my advice for Kingkosi)

Also, you'll want to get used to parrying and then immediately doing something else, as opposed to parrying and then doing nothing. E.g. when you watch Japanese players playing 3s, how often do you notice them attempting a parry (excluding the times when the parry is successful, of course)? Probably never, because they are so fluent in their movement: parry attempts simply "fill in the gaps" between the rest of their attack patterns.


Now, let's talk about approaching on the ground with Chun Li (or any character in general). First of all, you're probably afraid to just walk up to your opponent because you're afraid of getting swept or hit with cr.mk xx super. So the first thing you need to do is to teach your opponents to stop trying to sweep you as you walk up to them.

One method is to walk forward, then right before you come within range of their sweep or poke, take a step back. You see this all the time in online videos. Your goal is to trick your opponent into sticking out a poke, thinking you're about to walk into range. Once they do that, you can either SA2 right away (if you're fast enough and they're out of range of cr.mk), or cr.mk xx SA2. Usually when they attack, their hitbox moves forward far enough for you to hit their leg with cr.mk.

A second method is to walk forward and do standing hp at its max range. Experienced players can parry this easily, but inexperienced players will eat the hp all the time because they'll try to sweep when they see you walking forward, but you'll press hp before they press hk and you'll stuff them. Eventually they'll just block, afraid of being hit.

Thirdly, you can sometimes walk forward and do cr.mk (xx super) and hit them before their poke comes out. cr.mk has less range then Ken's cr.mk and cr.hk, so this doesn't work if they try to hit you at max range, but if they wait a little bit first (e.g. because they're afraid you'll do hp or walk back), then your poke will be fast enough to stuff their.

Fourth, you can try to walk forward and low-parry when you expect them to poke. You can be safe and tap down, then hold down-back: this should allow you to input a low-parry and then block low in case they attack after the parry window is over.

Fifth, if you're using a non-Chun Li character (e.g. Yun or Dudley), you can walk forward and then jump just before you come into their sweep/poke range. If they try to hit you, they'll miss and, especially if their move was a sweep, you'll get a free jump-in combo.
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-10 05:57:09
July 10 2008 05:53 GMT
#579
(continuing advice for Kingkosi)

Okay, so now we've covered how to scare your opponents into being afraid of YOU. Now you can just walk towards them and do one of many things:

- Walk-up or dash-up kara-throw.
- Walk-up or dash-up cr.lp / cr.lk.
- Walk-up cr.mk (xx super).
- Walk-up back hp (xx super).
- Walk-up leap attack.
- Towards and mk.

Abuse Chun Li's cr.lp and cr.lk liberally when you're in close, until your friends actually start parrying it (if ever). Heck, her cr.lp is SO FAST that even if Ken parries it, he can't punish with cr.mk xx super. Anyway, these moves put you at frame advantage, which means after they're blocked (or if they hit), you can move before your opponent can. They also have the psychological effect of scaring your opponent to keep blocking, which means you can often just walk-up and throw / kara-throw them. To mix it up, instead of throwing you can do cr.mk (xx super) or back hp (xx super). And as usual, you can just low-parry or walk-up low-parry if you think they're going to try to poke you.


Lastly, at your level, you pretty much only need to low-parry: almost no one will use high pokes.


Alright, I look forward to seeing some new videos of you DOMINATING your friends with these tips. (Seriously, it's SO hard to break habits like trying to sweep your opponent or poke with cr.mk as they're walking forward, so once you get the timing and spacing down, you'll have a nice period of time where you'll be crushing them. >)
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
July 10 2008 06:09 GMT
#580
On July 10 2008 14:33 Myrmidon wrote:
Agh everybody play 3s.
+ Show Spoiler +
j/k, calm down

Okay, since it's where the competition is to be had, I've decided to invest more than 20 minutes into 3s in order to learn the game to some small (or larger?) extent. That is, if you guys can help find me a character to play! I figure I'll maximize my time by learning just one character to a barely proficient level.

My preferences/tendencies (to help figure out who I should pick):
[snip]
What do you think the closest fit might be? Thanks.

Hmmm...

The first three choices that come to mind are:
- Chun Li
- Makoto
- Akuma


I generally tend towards reactive, runaway, and zoning play rather than rushdown. Especially ground-based dash rushdown. Jumping being not terrible would be nice, although not really necessary.

Chun Li is very powerful as both a rushdown character and a zoning and turtling character.

Makoto is strongest when she's rushing down and mixing up, but you can't just dive right in: you usually have to zone a bit first and wait for an opportunity to dash-in and start confusing your opponent. Once your offensive loses steam, you usually have to back off and wait for another opportunity. I think her zoning tools aren't too good, though.

Akuma can also do a lot of zoning with his air fireballs, I believe.


I have a great love for projectiles, particularly those that stay on the screen a long time and...oh wait this is 3s, forget about the projectiles--I need to learn to live without them anyway.

Air fireballs can still be pretty useful.


I never really hopped on the hit-confirm-into-super bandwagon that started up some dozen years ago. Somehow the whole concept is slightly repulsive to me. I'd prefer a character/SA that is decent that does not rely on this for damage.

You definitely don't need to be able to hit-confirm to use Makoto effectively (until you get to a high level).

I've won games with Chun Li solely by using her outstanding pokes (obviously not against good opponents ), and her cr.mk xx super is one of the most lenient hit-confirms in the game. Close hk xx super is also pretty easy to confirm, although a little hard to execute. Back hp xx fireball xx super might be relatively easy as well, if you do the fireball automatically and then confirm the super.

Akuma doesn't have to rely on hit confirms very much, I believe.


Since I'd be learning a character from scratch and hopefully quickly, being easy to learn and also higher tier would be nice, especially the easy/fast to learn part.

Chun Li is one of the easiest characters in the game to learn, and she's also the highest-tier character. It's VERY easy to become a strong Chun Li player, compared to the other characters.

Makoto is relatively easy to learn, imo. Her #4 spot on the tier list is partly due to her 100% stun combos off of SA2, but she's still a high tier character even without it.

I'm not sure how easy Akuma is to learn, but he is high tier.
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 296 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
FoxeR 79
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4515
Leta 1631
Bale 58
Shine 29
ZergMaN 11
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm270
League of Legends
JimRising 651
Other Games
summit1g9026
WinterStarcraft604
Sick117
Mew2King33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick495
BasetradeTV161
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta22
• Letter1411
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2102
League of Legends
• Lourlo1047
• Rush423
Other Games
• Shiphtur322
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 52m
Patches Events
9h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 52m
OSC
17h 52m
OSC
1d 6h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.