• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:41
CEST 14:41
KST 21:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9968 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 33

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 75 Next
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 14 2011 19:57 GMT
#641
You cant engrave walls? I didn't realise that (I always build underground in the stone), that's a shame.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 14 2011 20:01 GMT
#642
On June 15 2011 04:57 ChinaWhite wrote:
You cant engrave walls? I didn't realise that (I always build underground in the stone), that's a shame.


Yeah the only thing you can do to up the worth of constructions is use better materials and blocks instead of rough stone.
Logo
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-14 23:12:57
June 14 2011 23:04 GMT
#643
Ohhh my god giant badgers EVERYWHERE.

That's been 3 badger-related deaths this year.... T_T;

I need more hunters I guess

edit: Auuughh my poor smithy lost both his arms... He keeps trying to pick up equipment... but obviously he can't... LOL
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Vain
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Netherlands1115 Posts
June 14 2011 23:22 GMT
#644
On June 14 2011 09:52 naonao wrote:
So I started playing after reading this thread, doing well so far, but I'm stumped on how to mine adamantine since its basically in the middle of a magma sea . Any tips on how to get to it?


Watch out for the happy fun stuff though
Battle.net 2.0 is a waiter and he's a dick
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 15 2011 00:35 GMT
#645
The world above ground is perilous indeed... I'm starting to understand why dorfs always live underground, T_T;

Lost about 6 dorfs to badger attacks this year. Several children fell into ponds and drowned, (causing much dismay for their parents), and goblin thieves harass the poor "lesser" dorfs who aren't special enough to have houses inside the castle.

This is quite the fortress adventure so far.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
June 15 2011 00:59 GMT
#646
I dont know - I am in my third year and nothing happens :/
I had 4 goblin thieves that's all.
No ambushes, nothing. And I dont even get human caravans.
Even though on the embark screen all 4 civilizations showed up.
I also had only 1 strange mood so far.

Though I learned that putting 1 goblin prisoner to 1 military dwarf in full iron & a training weapon is much fun. 25 pages of combat log in one case The dwarf broke all the goblin's bones
(And he gained like 2000 xp ^^)

Sadly I dont have a good armourer yet - need moar stuff to venture into the deep!
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 15 2011 01:44 GMT
#647
[image loading]
An entire fortress above ground!

The walls of the keep need to rise a few more levels. It's really awkward trying to build walls though. I guess dorfs never invented scaffolding. Gotta build entire rings of floor for each level, which makes it look much less awesome.

Each little stone house holds roughly 6-7 dorfs. The larger building houses all of my workshops. Each house has beds on the 2nd floor, and a dining room in the ground floor. Each also has it's own little basement, usually serving as a stockpile of sorts. The workshop tower has a two-level basement, (breaking my rule of only digging one level), but I needed the space for workshops.

I'm not sure if I should work on a expanding the city walls to encompass the housing outside, or what. Perhaps I should make some skyscrapers? The immediate project will be the Manor inside the keep. Basically a giant fancy building which will house all my offices/nobles.

Wheeeee

Still having some horrid badger problems though lol
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
superxmikey
Profile Joined October 2010
United States28 Posts
June 15 2011 01:47 GMT
#648
Hey, Haemonculus

How did you get that picture thing? Is that a live representation of dwarf fortress via some modification or just a still image of your fortress?

If its a modification I would like to know what it is :D

PhuxPro
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States294 Posts
June 15 2011 02:11 GMT
#649
On June 15 2011 10:47 superxmikey wrote:
Hey, Haemonculus

How did you get that picture thing? Is that a live representation of dwarf fortress via some modification or just a still image of your fortress?

If its a modification I would like to know what it is :D



It's called StoneSense. It comes with the Lazy Newb Pack, which I would suggest downloading instead of just looking for Stonesense itself.
Money was meant solely to be spent.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 15 2011 03:45 GMT
#650
And now we're in dire need of a water source during winter...

Two injured dorfs died of thirst this winter because the wells all froze and we had no water source. T_T;
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
N3rV[Green]
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1935 Posts
June 15 2011 03:50 GMT
#651
I'm extremely interested in this "above ground" style. I will look into this.
Never fear the darkness, Bran. The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-15 05:45:30
June 15 2011 05:43 GMT
#652
On June 15 2011 12:50 N3rV[Green] wrote:
I'm extremely interested in this "above ground" style. I will look into this.


I've done it a bit before, I find it fun once you get going, but waiting for that point can be a little trying. Then again I'm OCD and like to have my constructions use only blocks rather than rough stone so I guess I have myself to blame.
Logo
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 15 2011 09:18 GMT
#653
Looks great Haemonculus, look forard to seeing future updates!

Logo, is there actually any advantage to using blocks in constructions?
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
June 15 2011 09:51 GMT
#654
Guys, after experimenting more with 2 hunters start, I think it's very good, it's mid summer of the second year and I already have two +5 legendary marksdwarves. I start with 1 woodcutter, 1 miner, 2 hunters, a bone carver, a cook and peasant who butchers/does everything else. Your industry starts later but you have someone to keep wildlife in check and hunting is the fastest way to train a marksmen. Also a great way to get legendary cook and bonecarver by 2nd year, which is imo very useful. Any thoughts about it? ^^
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
Deleted User 124618
Profile Joined November 2010
1142 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-15 09:53:51
June 15 2011 09:53 GMT
#655
On June 15 2011 18:18 ChinaWhite wrote:
Looks great Haemonculus, look forard to seeing future updates!

Logo, is there actually any advantage to using blocks in constructions?


One thing I can think of is that then the material is definitely reserved for construction. But I think the material blocks are more relevant when making non-stone materials into building materials: they will be melted, or otherwise made, into blocks before they can be used to make constructions.
iaretehnoob
Profile Joined June 2004
Sweden741 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-15 13:32:51
June 15 2011 11:12 GMT
#656
On June 15 2011 10:44 Haemonculus wrote:
The walls of the keep need to rise a few more levels. It's really awkward trying to build walls though. I guess dorfs never invented scaffolding. Gotta build entire rings of floor for each level, which makes it look much less awesome.

You can use stairs as scaffolding and then tear them back down once you're done constructing the walls.

My current fortress has it's entrance and defenses outside, walls, traps, fortifications for archers. It all worked pretty well until goblin archers appeared and climbed the mountain behind the walls -.-

*edit gah, 2 of my dwarves have just been beaten to death in their sleep with a crossbow, because of disorderly conduct and of course the violation of a production order. I thought a "beating" was supposed to be a non-lethal punishment.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-15 14:44:10
June 15 2011 14:25 GMT
#657
On June 15 2011 18:53 Greentellon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 15 2011 18:18 ChinaWhite wrote:
Looks great Haemonculus, look forard to seeing future updates!

Logo, is there actually any advantage to using blocks in constructions?


One thing I can think of is that then the material is definitely reserved for construction. But I think the material blocks are more relevant when making non-stone materials into building materials: they will be melted, or otherwise made, into blocks before they can be used to make constructions.


If you make a room and it includes the construction the room is of higher quality as blocks have a higher quality than rough stone. It also says smooth stone when you look at it, it builds faster (barely an offset for the time it takes to make the block though), and adds more wealth to your fortress.

So no... not really. It's mostly just vanity. Though for your noble rooms I'd recommend it since you can't smooth/engrave constructions (well making it out of blocks is smoothing it I suppose).

It's also good training for your masons, I usually start by making a ton of blocks then move on to furniture and stuff with quality ratings. Of course on the flipside if you get ambushed by goblins before your walls are complete (as happened to me last night) the mason that gets killed kind of makes the training irrelevant.

Guys, after experimenting more with 2 hunters start, I think it's very good, it's mid summer of the second year and I already have two +5 legendary marksdwarves. I start with 1 woodcutter, 1 miner, 2 hunters, a bone carver, a cook and peasant who butchers/does everything else. Your industry starts later but you have someone to keep wildlife in check and hunting is the fastest way to train a marksmen. Also a great way to get legendary cook and bonecarver by 2nd year, which is imo very useful. Any thoughts about it? ^^


I like hunter starts, but it can be a bit risky. Accidents happen with your hunter especially if they're hunting things like badgers. I've both had badgers rush the hunter and overwhelm him as well as had an enraged badger attack a nearby non-hunter dwarf. Plus you need to be sure you are going to have a good amount of wildlife.
Logo
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 15 2011 15:14 GMT
#658
Biggest advantage of blocks over rough stone imo is that you can store them in bins in bar/block stockpiles.

How dorfs manage to fit an entire castle wall into a small space is a miracle. But then again they already have quantum stockpiles of holding and atom smashers. Lololol
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
tjg92
Profile Joined March 2011
United States100 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-15 22:04:51
June 15 2011 21:52 GMT
#659
Started playing this again last night. Everything is going swimmingly except one of my dwarves has a strange mood and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to competently handle the situation. Also last time I played there was no Lazy Newb Pack. Now there is. HOLY SHIT life is so much easier now.

EDIT:The strange mood dude managed to make his weird thingy so it's all good
The Maze Blog: http://mazeblog-tjg92.blogspot.com
protoge
Profile Joined January 2011
United States55 Posts
June 15 2011 22:45 GMT
#660
So I had a goblin ambush, killed 3 of my recruits (I had just drafted a bunch in, they were all dabbling in all fighting skills and I only had steel guantles for them xP)

I managed to capture a few of the goblins. How do I strip them down to train some of my other, nondead, recruits? I tried going and doing what the iwki said, but nothing shows up in the square besdies the filled cage. Is that normal or ?
It is estimated feeding the world's hungry would require 30 billion dollars per year. Quite the sum of money. It's actually the same amount of money that the world spends on it's military every 8 days.
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech152
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35815
Shuttle 2387
Horang2 970
Bisu 863
Jaedong 680
Light 572
Mini 467
BeSt 356
firebathero 342
Hyuk 308
[ Show more ]
Stork 269
actioN 249
EffOrt 242
Zeus 240
ggaemo 209
Soma 207
Soulkey 151
ZerO 145
Last 140
Snow 134
Rush 125
Leta 111
Pusan 80
Killer 67
hero 61
Sea.KH 57
Mong 43
Sharp 39
Mind 34
Shine 27
Shinee 26
Bale 25
Aegong 25
soO 23
sorry 23
ToSsGirL 22
Trap 18
Sexy 17
Free 16
PianO 15
Yoon 14
Terrorterran 13
zelot 9
Noble 9
JulyZerg 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
HiyA 7
Icarus 5
NotJumperer 0
Dota 2
Gorgc4059
qojqva1673
Dendi1106
420jenkins33
League of Legends
Reynor86
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1448
x6flipin375
markeloff86
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1960
crisheroes873
Other Games
gofns35210
singsing2174
B2W.Neo777
XBOCT365
DeMusliM188
Livibee178
Mlord170
XaKoH 136
Liquid`LucifroN129
Mew2King110
QueenE88
ArmadaUGS82
Chillindude16
ZerO(Twitch)11
Railgan9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream180
StarCraft 2
TaKeTV 14
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 73
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2213
• TFBlade695
Other Games
• WagamamaTV178
Upcoming Events
OSC
19m
Stellar Fest
19m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
TaKeTV 0
OSC
11h 19m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.