• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:07
CEST 21:07
KST 04:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9345 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 31

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 75 Next
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
June 10 2011 09:51 GMT
#601
On June 10 2011 07:39 Zocat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2011 07:01 VPCursed wrote:
On June 10 2011 05:53 MisterD wrote:
LOTS OF FUN!

so there appeared one goblin. i sent my whole squad out to kill him, then there was an "it's an ambush", and suddenly there were three goblins. They simply slaughtered 6 of my squad and still didn't die i think (but disappeared soon after). And after that, everything went downhill. As i'm a complete newby i don't know what exactly went wrong, i guess a shortage in alcohol (for whatever reason, the "brew drink" tasks always disappeared) or food or whatever, but basically my whole population went insane and almost all are dead now. I have stockpiles full of bodies outside of my entrance, i can't construct coffins fast enough to keep up with my mortality rate x.X FUN!

Screenshot!
[image loading]

/edit: Why the fuck did my trade depot and several workshops disappear? do insane dwarfs deconstruct buildings or what is going on here?

which graphic pack is that?


Looks like Ironhand (included in the LNP)


it's ironhand, yes. you can get it here, just download the all-in-one pack if you want to start new, it's the least amount of modding work. If you want to keep saves, you'll either have to mod your old install or copy the saves over, i don't know how either of those options works though ;P but they certainly have tutorials up on their pages.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
iaretehnoob
Profile Joined June 2004
Sweden741 Posts
June 10 2011 14:55 GMT
#602
my fortress of 16 dwarves just got it's second migration wave. 22 new dwarves, including:
- 1 cook
- 10 fisher/fish cleaner/fish dissector dwarfs
- 1 potash maker
- 1 high master bee-keeper (and soap-maker)
- 1 wax worker
- 2 peasants
- 2 animal caretakers
- a metalcrafter (havent found iron yet)
- a novice miner (the most useful?!)

ah well, some have some have some secondary skills that are useful, even if they are very low... and I guess all these fishers will be my military, but this really wasn't what my un-developed fortress needed :-D (next-up, goblins?)
thfrgi
Profile Joined December 2010
33 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-10 16:48:22
June 10 2011 16:16 GMT
#603
I haven't played in a looooong while since I got caught up in other stuff (and DF is quite time-consuming), but i love this game, one of the best I ever played, the satisfaction of figuring it out is quite awesome
here are some pictures of my second fortress (first one ended horribly since i didn't build any doors -__-, goblin ambush killed them all...), it is going pretty well, starting to try to get a decent military going (but the new system is kinda confusing...), weathered a siege already, just waited it out, only lost a few dwarves as 2 gobbs slipped by through a hole I had forgotten to wall off... They killed a few and then I lost some more to the ensuing mini tantrum spiral, but now the gobbs are gone and it has all stabilized a bit I have way too many dwarves though, about 15 of them are actually useful, the 60 others just haul all day!
first pic shows my near-surface installations, with food stockpile, farming area, main dining room (on the top right, it's getting too small), entrance with little drawbridge (underneath gets flooded), finished good stockpile (that huge mess on the left) and trade depot.
[image loading]

second pic shows what I am truly proud of: main living quarters (the "slums" are on the right), masterwork carvings everywhere, gem-encrusted doors and furniture, platinum statues in the boss's offices (top left), cemetary for the fallen heroes/statue garden (under the offices), and in the center/lower area, the industrial sector with the associated stockpiles (i got TONS of hematite). You could also try to spot the garbage pile (thanks to quantum stockpiling there must be about 18976549186541 tons of useless boulders piled up in there)
[image loading]

and at last you can see on the left the Ridiculously Oversized and Useless Hall (it actually goes half a screen further down...) with the name of the fortress exquisitely carved out ( i really like that name, it was the 4th one the randomizer popped). It is still being cleaned up, thus providing jobs for many a dwarf with otherwise useless skills (like fish dissection or potash making)
[image loading]

And btw, tilesets are for pussies :D

you know you want her
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 10 2011 16:50 GMT
#604
Fish dissecting and other fish-related professions are very popular among dorfs apparently. I always seem to get bunches of them, and they never have much to do.

Usually immediately drafted into the militia lol
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
June 10 2011 17:39 GMT
#605
I think I'm going to try and survive off of fish in one of my upcoming fortresses. See if it's even possible, haha.

I'll find use for them if it's the last thing I do!
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-10 23:30:55
June 10 2011 23:28 GMT
#606
i prevented fun today! i staked out a goblin invasion (15 range goblins vs one 10 melee dorf squad) by building a wall in my entryway :S just when all my population was about to die of thirst, i started opening the doors expecting to have most of my population killed any second, but then the stupid goblins started to run away before the wall was completely torn down >.> anyhow, yay for no losses x.X i have two squads now!

Also, during this time two diplomats couldn't talk to me because my fort was closed.

Later today, some diplomat came over asking me if i wanted to integrate my fort into their realm. I recommended my bookkeeper as a future baron, because he's the only dwarf i know of that stuck with me since the beginning. so i recommended him. i've yet to see what becomes of this.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 04:57:28
June 11 2011 02:14 GMT
#607
Yes! After 2 crushing defeats I am finally able to defeat the first goblin invasion! This game I was lucky, the first attack came later than usual and I also got a lot of magnetite, so that's 27 fully armed well trained soldiers, had only 1 casuality and a few dead kittens.

edit: apparently because of the one casuality my best warrior is throwing tantrums... damn

2nd edit: 2 months later, second invasion, ~50 invaders including animals, I barely defend but almost all warriors die... Not even gonna play it out, the next invasion would 100% kill me

Also, do invasions cause mass laziness or something? There was a ton of work to do yet majority of my dwarves just didn't work, only talked to each other in the main hall.
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
June 11 2011 09:01 GMT
#608
did you maybe have them restricted to the main hall through burrow alerts or something?
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
June 11 2011 12:03 GMT
#609
Actually on that note of burrows...

is there a hotkey for that? I don't mind going into the menu to set it there, but if I have a burrow active/inactive for sieges, is there like a toggle?
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 14:02:06
June 11 2011 13:59 GMT
#610
on the military page you can include borrow restrictions in your various alert levels. i haven't figured out how to set squads to active in multiple alarm states but if that is possible somehow you could do something like

inactive (exists per default) - all squads inactive, no burrow restrictions
active/training (exists per default) - squads on alert running training schedule, no burrow restrictions
war!! (doesn't exist per default - squads on alert patrolling routes and defending some burrows, civilians restricted to another burrow

then you could easily go to your military screen and just switch the current alert level to trigger everything at once.

/edit: read more here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military_interface#Burrows.2C_stations.2C_and_routes
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
LLuke
Profile Joined May 2010
Austria228 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-11 14:37:04
June 11 2011 14:32 GMT
#611
Hey guys, been reading this thread for a while now, I'm enjoying it! I have something to contribute now too, as I have survived (or something like that..) my first Goblin Siege.

It is my fourth Fortress, I had really something good running in my opinion - drinks and meat, steel production, 50 fine dwarfs, 1 axedwarf squad with 7 guys, 1 marksdwarf squad with 7 guys, I thought that I am actually getting a hang of that game, hell, I even had a Bookkeeper!
As I am digging deeper and deeper, expanding more and more, training my squad, trading around, starting my hospital ( this is critical!), I get the announcement, that I'm under siege.
ALRIGHT LETS DO THIS!
My traps killed some goblins off, I set my marksdwarf on my tower(YES A TOWER!) and my Axedwarfs behing my frontdoors, the horde of goblins stream right into the arms of my excellent squad of axemasters and with hardly any losses, I defend. Except the wife of my Milita Commander dies. I was cheering, cooking Lavish Meals for my people, preparing an awesome tomb for her etc, when suddenly my militia commander gets veeery unhappy (deep red in Therapist) - I've never had that before. So I give him off duty until he recovers, while i finish up my Hospital - only thing I don't know is how to make thread, never can I make soap, because I have no fat (Lavish Meals, do they need fat? I can't seem to find the reason why I had no fat..). By the way, my milita commander lost some teeth, and had a broken leg. He doesn't get better, throws a tantrum, and I send both of my squads to rescue my dwarfs from his insanity. My axedwarfs decide to go behind my marksdwarfs, which get slaughtered by my axehero. He clearly was better than anyone else, as I found out, how to look how strong the dwarfs are. So 3 of my marksdwarfs die, 2 axedwarfs until my commander passes out.
I thought the problem was solved, put my Militia Captain as Commander.
Well.. My marksdwarfs were married too, so they decided to get depressed and throw a thantrum. Again, same story, I barely rescued my dwarfes from the anger of the widows.
Well, I had 3 Axedwarfs and 3 Marksdwarfs (or so. Cant remember enough, as I was falling apart in front of my desk..). And you know what? Goblin Ambush. Traps hold some off, but they are too much. They get into my community hall, and the slaughter begins.
I then watched the slugfest, cheered for my masoners to keep surviving (they are pretty good fighters!), and I really survived with a handful of dwarfs left, all depressed..
That was fun!
Tripping off the beat kinda, dripping off the meatgrinder
dellwon
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States31 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-12 02:46:23
June 12 2011 02:09 GMT
#612
Currently under seige by 49 giant badgers, 8 war jaguar ,1 tigerwoman macelord, 16 tiger swordsman, 1 tiger axelord, 16 tiger axemen, 15 tiger hammermen, 14 goblin hammer men (and counting). Hopefully my 6 military dwarves and 9 siege operators are good at their jobs.

Streaming this also, but I dont want to advert, so pm me if you want the info.

I'll try to take pictures.

EDIT:Seem to have won.

Before:
[image loading]

The lone dwarf in there got trapped when I shut the gate. She had 4 kills.


[image loading]
Now she has 44.

Suffered zero losses (no idea if the ballistas killed anything but they were firing.
Ulfsark
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States958 Posts
June 12 2011 06:39 GMT
#613
Holy shit man, you are Gosu, thats a crazy entrance, I should try and emulate that sometime, My only experience with siege weaponry has resulted in friendly fire.
gg wp
xccam
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Great Britain1154 Posts
June 12 2011 09:46 GMT
#614
Woah tahts pretty awesome.
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 12 2011 11:11 GMT
#615
Really like your entrance, very similar idea to what I have. And 44 kills, holy sh*t
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
June 12 2011 11:33 GMT
#616
Yeah, I guess it was the burrows, I am pretty sure the burrow was the whole cave though, and there was plenty of work to be done... Prolly messed up something there though.
Playing a new game now, starting with 2 hunters in the embark to get some legendary marksdwarfs asap, seems to be working good right now, except that I have no iron/copper (again! )

Anyway, is there any use for trappers at all? I got a high master one and in wiki it says that it's for catching vermin... Well, my cats can do that too. Am I missing something?
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
Ulfsark
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States958 Posts
June 13 2011 06:59 GMT
#617
I have a one handed female axe lord with 30 kills... What a beast!
gg wp
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 13 2011 12:56 GMT
#618
On June 13 2011 15:59 Ulfsark wrote:
I have a one handed female axe lord with 30 kills... What a beast!

Only most beastly is if she carries her infant in the other hand.

I had a macedorf kill like 16 goblins once before I noticed she didn't have her shield. Instead she was carrying a baby in the other hand... LOL
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-13 14:02:36
June 13 2011 14:02 GMT
#619
Haha, I wish my dorfs were that brave.

I've been experimenting with training methods lately, particulary for archers / marksdorfs. Originally I would have them set up as a military squad, actively training on targets. Now though I've set them as hunters instead, and it seems they learn faster.

Does anyone know if this is indeed a quicker way to level them up?
ShloobeR
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Korea (South)3851 Posts
June 13 2011 15:00 GMT
#620
i like to build a little catacomb under my fortress with plenty of twists and turns, then lock in one (or more) archers and a few unarmed goblins, and leave the archer to get on with his business. That seems to level them up quite nicely.
: o )
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 675
UpATreeSC 131
JuggernautJason37
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18421
firebathero 173
Rush 124
Dewaltoss 111
Sexy 28
Bale 13
yabsab 12
Dota 2
Gorgc8170
qojqva1425
monkeys_forever119
Counter-Strike
fl0m1561
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1847
crisheroes1249
Liquid`Hasu750
XaKoH 153
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby3227
summit1g3100
FrodaN781
Beastyqt668
ceh9558
byalli207
ArmadaUGS199
shahzam181
KnowMe167
C9.Mang0155
Mew2King48
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV177
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
StarCraft 2
angryscii 4
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 31
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1622
League of Legends
• TFBlade1050
Other Games
• imaqtpie866
• Shiphtur250
• WagamamaTV246
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 53m
Stellar Fest
17h 53m
OSC
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 14h
Online Event
1d 15h
FEL
1d 20h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.