• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:30
CEST 01:30
KST 08:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War685.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch)
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12550 users

Fire Emblem - Page 24

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 171 Next
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-15 17:39:05
March 15 2016 17:33 GMT
#461
Yeah Lunatic CQ has only minor changes from Hard until about 2/3 of the way through (e.g. I think the soldier gets to the houses a turn earlier on Lunatic Ch. 8 or the DV moving in Ch. 12). The difficulty jump is a lot less than in previous games--though part of that is the difficulty curve being better throughout (most hard modes in previous FEs are hard at the beginning and taper off while Conquest's difficulty is much more consistent, and arguably even ramps upward toward the end).

IMO the right way to do what you're suggesting would probably be for them to attempt another "Lunatic+"-like mode that has both the skills and the stat inflation (though not so much as Awakening L+).

The other option which I've seen suggested is adding stricter turn requirements to the turn limit chapters and adding turn limits to some of the chapters that have none. Adding the necessity of going fast actually helps to fix some of Conquest's poorer maps that are interesting conceptually but uninteresting in practice due to the lack of incentive to actually progress quickly through the map.
Moderator
Frudgey
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada3367 Posts
March 15 2016 17:56 GMT
#462
I think there certainly cases where time restrictions would have been a welcome addition, but I can understand why the developers would have elected not to do so for certain maps.

For example, (Yango knows about this) chapter 20 I died several times at first because of the wind mechanic. While I can't speak with certainty, I'm sure that level would have become exponentially harder if I had to clear it in X amount of turns. Of course that being said, if I'm already playing on Lunatic, then would that be as big of a concern? That's hard to judge.

The other thing they could do for time restrictions is get creative for having turtling disincentives. So for example, instead of having "clear the map in X turns" they could use more thieves, untimely enemy reinforcements, having to protect A unit from B attacker, etc. Or they could get super creative and do a map where you're on one end of the map and they are a bunch of enemies on the opposite end of the map, but both parties are racing to get to the middle of the map. And that's just one example!

Basically I what I'm trying to say is that I think there are a lot of ways to create time pressure without actually doing "clear map in X turns". The StarCraft II campaign was really, really good about creating time pressure without saying "clear the map in X minutes".
It is better to die for The Emperor than live for yourself.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-15 18:08:19
March 15 2016 18:06 GMT
#463
Side objectives are actually much harder to balance than turn limits though, because you have to weigh their long-term effect on the game at large. If they're not significant enough, people will just skip them and they won't have accomplished your goal. If they're too impactful, then they might dramatically impact how you have to balance the rest of the game because of the difference in resources available to a player who skipped side objectives vs. one who didn't.

For example, I'd argue that not getting all 3 villages in Ch.8 can have a significant effect on how hard a player feels Ch. 10 is 2 chapters later, since options they could otherwise leverage to reduce the difficulty such as early-promoting a unit may become unavailable depending on how much money they got from Ch. 8. Or a previously discussed example--how usable Leo is as a lategame unit correlates heavily to obtaining side objectives that allow you to invest in him (Horse God/Calamity Gate from Ophelia's paralogue, extra side objective Secret Books and Speedwings).
Moderator
Frudgey
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada3367 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-15 18:34:46
March 15 2016 18:32 GMT
#464
Hmm, interesting points you make. I think you're absolutely right that the consequences of side objectives can have substantial impact later due to a snowballing effect.

What I want to note is that if the primary objective is time based, there are (in my opinion) more interesting ways to make the primary objective time based rather than just saying "clear the chapter in 20 turns".

The other thing I wanted to note about side objectives - not saying this is good or bad - is that players (obviously) get rewarded for completing side objectives. For example: If you made it to all the houses in chapter 8, then you're going to have an easier go at it. However, in order to get to all of the houses you need to be of certain skill. I think it's a safe assumption that to clear chapter 8 and visit all the houses is more difficult than just clearing chapter 8. But I would imagine that there would exist a group of players who can clear chapter 8 but not visit all the houses.

Because of this, the better players get rewarded, while the worse players struggle more. It would seem to me that the rich get richer while the poor get poorer, if you get my drift. To be more blunt, I would think this promotes feast or famine game play (though I'm greatly exaggerating to get my point across). And for this I'm a little conflicted about. On one hand it almost seems like a backwards way of thinking about things (in my opinion), but on the other hand I think it makes sense to reward the players who can complete your bonus objectives.

I think one solution would be to make the rewards of the bonus objectives have trivial impact on game play, or to have no effect at all. Cosmetic rewards come to mind. That being said, if the rewards have minimal impact on game play, then is there enough incentive to complete the side objects?

That's not something I have the answer to, I'm just thinking aloud!
It is better to die for The Emperor than live for yourself.
chocorush
Profile Joined June 2009
696 Posts
March 15 2016 18:33 GMT
#465
I don't think the pacing is that bad as is, as clearing things faster is usually easier than tanking everything enemy phase, which is a good incentive to play faster.

I'm actually a fan of busted enemy units, but only when the game gives you resources to deal with them. If they can balance staff availability with the games difficulty so that you use them liberally without trivializing the game, that's ideal for me.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-15 18:54:42
March 15 2016 18:53 GMT
#466
It's not a problem for most of the route, there's just a few stand-out maps where either the incentives to go fast aren't strong enough (e.g. ch. 14 the thieves utterly fail as a turtling disincentive because they only spawn from one side) or the turn limit isn't really strict enough (e.g. Ch. 18 the 20 turn limit is massive overkill).
Moderator
Frudgey
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada3367 Posts
March 15 2016 19:09 GMT
#467
I think Yango you're a much, much better player of Fire Emblem than I am, because I used up my 20 turn limit on chapter 18 haha.

Some people like using slow moving armored units you know!
It is better to die for The Emperor than live for yourself.
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
March 15 2016 19:40 GMT
#468
Well, Conquest is easier for the developers to balance because of the lack of grinding. If the developers can expect players to be roughly a certain level, within a narrow band, they can easily tailor the difficulty to expected player strength. Adding a few key units and abilities in certain key points can provide players with an interesting puzzle to solve. In contrast, an overleveled party in Birthright/Revelations can overpower those few key additions, so the developers just resort to adding difficulty by brute force.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 15 2016 19:43 GMT
#469
I mean, given how stupid the unit balance is in Revelation, it's far more likely that they just didn't try in the first place.
Moderator
chocorush
Profile Joined June 2009
696 Posts
March 15 2016 20:16 GMT
#470
As long as they allow multiple ways to play to accommodate different teams, I don't usually have a problem. I get bored of heavily turtling, so I naturally use strategies that avoid it. There are going to be situations where some people are just not going to have had the right team and will rely on a really slow strategy.

Chapter 26 is a good example, where some teams may just not have the resources to deal with the mage half of the room, and they left you the possibility of turtling the golem half with Flora. I wouldn't dream of it personally, but I'm not bothered by the fact that the option is there.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 15 2016 20:35 GMT
#471
I just do the golem half regardless, lol. It's just so much easier.
Moderator
Frudgey
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada3367 Posts
March 15 2016 20:38 GMT
#472
On March 16 2016 05:16 chocorush wrote:
As long as they allow multiple ways to play to accommodate different teams

I think for me this is probably one of the most important things to me - is if the game allows (or encourages) different strategies/army compositions.

And that's part of the fun. I like hearing how you guys did things differently compared to myself, or seeing how chocorush and Yango varied, or anyone else for that matter. Like it was cool to learn that Yango and I completed chapter 19 in similar methods, but used wildly different units to achieve our ends.

Being pigeon holed into one strategy is not something I'm a fan of, and it probably my biggest reservation about starting a run on Conquest Lunatic.
It is better to die for The Emperor than live for yourself.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-15 20:56:39
March 15 2016 20:42 GMT
#473
I think multiple approaches is good, I just don't think "layer rallies on 1-2 range superunit, park in range of small # of enemies, let enemies bang their heads against a brick wall, rinse, repeat" should be considered one, lol.

Awakening and Birthright have a huge problem where this is essentially the dominant strategy for large portions of the game. Conquest largely does a good job making this not the dominant approach, but it still presents itself in a few chapters. It's why I hate Ch. 19 so much because for the most part, it's still by far the most painless way to play that map (aside from the 1-2 range part since all the enemies are 1 range). There's not really even a "fast" alternative to 19 because the speed at which you clear the map is still gated by the illusion mechanic.
Moderator
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
March 15 2016 21:58 GMT
#474
On March 16 2016 05:42 TheYango wrote:
I think multiple approaches is good, I just don't think "layer rallies on 1-2 range superunit, park in range of small # of enemies, let enemies bang their heads against a brick wall, rinse, repeat" should be considered one, lol.



What amuses me is how many people who use this strategy act like they just outsmarted AlphaGO. Like you, I also find it a pretty boring style to play. I feel like player phase based strategies are the actual strategies. Letting the AI suicide into you can be pretty funny every now and then but it's pretty much just exploiting a dumb AI.
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
March 15 2016 22:18 GMT
#475
On March 16 2016 01:12 TheYango wrote:
It depends on which route you're on, since they're scaled a bit differently.

Lunatic Birthright is scaled largely through enemy density and just adding a bunch more enemy units/reinforcements, with some stat increases. This doesn't really make things hard, more overly tedious.

Lunatic Conquest is scaled largely through skills, status staves, and a few key enemy additions to certain maps e.g. extra status staff users, or a line of generals to block rescue-cheese. Enemy stats are for the most part unchanged from Hard. This makes the route feel mostly fair, with the main exception being Negative Chain Master Ninjas in lategame.

Lunatic Revelation is scaled through enemy stat inflation. It makes the route a huge slog to play and given the already poor unit balance, invalidates a bunch of your units who simply won't have the bases to keep up with the enemy stats at their join times.

In many ways I feel like Luna Rev is as easy if not easier than Luna Birth. Especially when you realize Corrin in the first half and Ryoma/Xander in the second half dominate completely. For the most part unless you want to challenge yourself and make guys like Odin or Arthur part of your core, its pretty simple (granted I still have 3 or 4 chapters to go so maybe endgame will go all out on stat inflation)
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 15 2016 23:15 GMT
#476
I'm pretty sure Rev Odin is just outright unusable without grinding lol. He gets OHKOed and doubled by Paladins on his join chapter and does 1 damage back to them, and the chapter after is when unpromoted enemies stop appearing.
Moderator
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
March 16 2016 00:05 GMT
#477
On March 16 2016 08:15 TheYango wrote:
I'm pretty sure Rev Odin is just outright unusable without grinding lol. He gets OHKOed and doubled by Paladins on his join chapter and does 1 damage back to them, and the chapter after is when unpromoted enemies stop appearing.

Chap 21 has the whole floor = promote vs demote thing. Plus Rev keeps the entire grind system from Birthright. But yeah, actually having him survive his join is not easy...
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
imBLIND
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2626 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-16 06:42:11
March 16 2016 06:37 GMT
#478
On March 16 2016 06:58 andrewlt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2016 05:42 TheYango wrote:
I think multiple approaches is good, I just don't think "layer rallies on 1-2 range superunit, park in range of small # of enemies, let enemies bang their heads against a brick wall, rinse, repeat" should be considered one, lol.



What amuses me is how many people who use this strategy act like they just outsmarted AlphaGO. Like you, I also find it a pretty boring style to play. I feel like player phase based strategies are the actual strategies. Letting the AI suicide into you can be pretty funny every now and then but it's pretty much just exploiting a dumb AI.


Well i'm just doing that right now on chapter 25 and hoping the RNG is on my side with my monster Xander and Effie...If there's a single hallway, 6 ninjas, and some really annoying enmies on the other side of the hall way, I don't have that many other options lol.

edit: i'm a horrible fire emblem player i've resetted like 100 times already
im deaf
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-16 06:59:05
March 16 2016 06:47 GMT
#479
Shurikenbreaker + Lucky Seven on any of the outlaws

EDIT: Chocorush, when you did your Bow Knight playthrough, you did +Str, right? I was thinking of doing a +Mag Bow Knight on my next playthrough to use the Shining Bow, since Niles' Mag doesn't usually get there for the Shining Bow and he's not really a great Spirit Dust candidate when his bulk isn't good enough for him to take advantage of a 1-2 range weapon anyway. You also get a free Shining Bow from Nina's paralogue so it feels like a waste not to find a user for it.

Compared to something like +Mag Paladin, it'd have less baseline damage due to lower growths/caps and since +Mag Paladin gets free damage off of Defender and Elbow Room, but at the same time, the Shining Bow has higher base Mt than the Levin Sword, and since you don't get a Shockstick in Conquest, +Mag Paladin doesn't have WTC with magic weapons while Bow Knight does.
Moderator
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
March 16 2016 07:22 GMT
#480
On March 16 2016 15:47 TheYango wrote:
Shurikenbreaker + Lucky Seven on any of the outlaws

EDIT: Chocorush, when you did your Bow Knight playthrough, you did +Str, right? I was thinking of doing a +Mag Bow Knight on my next playthrough to use the Shining Bow, since Niles' Mag doesn't usually get there for the Shining Bow and he's not really a great Spirit Dust candidate when his bulk isn't good enough for him to take advantage of a 1-2 range weapon anyway. You also get a free Shining Bow from Nina's paralogue so it feels like a waste not to find a user for it.

Compared to something like +Mag Paladin, it'd have less baseline damage due to lower growths/caps and since +Mag Paladin gets free damage off of Defender and Elbow Room, but at the same time, the Shining Bow has higher base Mt than the Levin Sword, and since you don't get a Shockstick in Conquest, +Mag Paladin doesn't have WTC with magic weapons while Bow Knight does.

Would you ever recommed leaving corrin as prince/noble?
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 171 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
CranKy Ducklings53
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
davetesta15
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O113
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9542
Artosis 697
ZZZero.O 113
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm185
League of Legends
Doublelift5714
JimRising 353
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe13
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3930
Other Games
summit1g9182
FrodaN2209
Liquid`RaSZi1867
Livibee427
C9.Mang0353
Maynarde159
ArmadaUGS45
Mew2King41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1166
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 151
• Sammyuel 34
• musti20045 32
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1567
• Scarra1206
• Shiphtur639
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 30m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.