• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:46
CEST 17:46
KST 00:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War195.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10470 users

Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - Page 7

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 103 Next
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
May 06 2014 11:25 GMT
#121
I love the title Attorney at Law
at what else would you be an attorney? :D
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
May 06 2014 12:03 GMT
#122
just popping in to concur that Harvery Birdman rules.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Capresis
Profile Joined September 2008
United States518 Posts
May 06 2014 14:57 GMT
#123
Okay, okay okay. So is it better to take a province on the first turn, or to wait a turn for scout info, then attack?
HeatEXTEND
Profile Joined October 2012
Netherlands836 Posts
May 06 2014 15:23 GMT
#124
Unless you have some kind of beefy awe+fear pretender it's muuuuch safer to wait a turn and see what's up. Sure, you might get an edge over everyone else (which also means putting you on top of the "watch-out-for-that-guy" list right off the bat ) but you also might get crippled for pretty much the rest of the game. Generally not recommended.
knuckle
Capresis
Profile Joined September 2008
United States518 Posts
May 06 2014 16:32 GMT
#125
Thanks!

And to the person with the magicless pretender: What will they do if they become God anyway? Can't call down lightning, can't heal faithful ones, no flooding the world to purge infidels... What do? Almighty God of Pamphlet Distribution?
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
May 06 2014 17:02 GMT
#126
Only 3 awake pretenders
Loads of research from Ulm, probably a rainbow pretender ?
Ulm looks like it got hit by an ugly event lol
Everyone let's dogpile Caelum, they got double the troop count of everyone else
And finally nobody had the balls (or the dragon) to attack provinces blind. Splendid :D
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
KillerSOS
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States4207 Posts
May 06 2014 17:36 GMT
#127
On May 07 2014 01:32 Capricis wrote:
Thanks!

And to the person with the magicless pretender: What will they do if they become God anyway? Can't call down lightning, can't heal faithful ones, no flooding the world to purge infidels... What do? Almighty God of Pamphlet Distribution?


He's just going to giggle and walk around in circles. If I had the extra 4+ hours I've committed now to the game I wouldn't have screwed up my pretender quite so bad.
HeatEXTEND
Profile Joined October 2012
Netherlands836 Posts
May 06 2014 17:45 GMT
#128
Ulm's people already throwing a fit ?
knuckle
Ultraliskhero
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada249 Posts
May 06 2014 17:45 GMT
#129
oh man didn't know statistics were on. I thought most games turn it off?
was so confused at how you guys knew everything about everyone else lol, and I can't find out what bad event happened until I get home... but yeah something happened.
HeatEXTEND
Profile Joined October 2012
Netherlands836 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-06 18:23:29
May 06 2014 18:22 GMT
#130
On May 07 2014 02:36 KillerSOS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2014 01:32 Capricis wrote:
Thanks!

And to the person with the magicless pretender: What will they do if they become God anyway? Can't call down lightning, can't heal faithful ones, no flooding the world to purge infidels... What do? Almighty God of Pamphlet Distribution?


He's just going to giggle and walk around in circles. If I had the extra 4+ hours I've committed now to the game I wouldn't have screwed up my pretender quite so bad.


I'm fine with a restart where we wait until everyone is actually ready. Playing a gimped game is lame (for the player as well as the players who aren't close to said player ) and there won't be anything actually lost.

Also, this is why you make sure that everything is completely in order before starting a game of Dom .


knuckle
KillerSOS
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States4207 Posts
May 06 2014 18:29 GMT
#131
I decided I'll play more than 1 match at the same time, so I created another game on same map (no mods) for a noob friendly game. Feel free to join up.

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=NoobFriendlyMA
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-06 19:15:04
May 06 2014 18:59 GMT
#132
On May 07 2014 02:45 Ultraliskhero wrote:
oh man didn't know statistics were on. I thought most games turn it off?
was so confused at how you guys knew everything about everyone else lol, and I can't find out what bad event happened until I get home... but yeah something happened.

I think a poploss event, temporary things like -25% tax doesn't affect the income graph. How would I know that?
+ Show Spoiler +

Im not going to join any more games, don't want to get burned out too quickly

If we want a restart because Atlantis pretender thing, I don't mind.
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
HeatEXTEND
Profile Joined October 2012
Netherlands836 Posts
May 06 2014 19:22 GMT
#133
On May 07 2014 03:29 KillerSOS wrote:
I decided I'll play more than 1 match at the same time, so I created another game on same map (no mods) for a noob friendly game. Feel free to join up.

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=NoobFriendlyMA


A word of warning, playing multiple games of dom at the same time can get quite.......taxing. I'd think twice before committing to 2 games at once, just my 2cents.
knuckle
xuanzue
Profile Joined October 2010
Colombia1747 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-06 20:58:44
May 06 2014 20:27 GMT
#134
On May 07 2014 03:22 HeatEXTEND wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2014 02:36 KillerSOS wrote:
On May 07 2014 01:32 Capricis wrote:
Thanks!

And to the person with the magicless pretender: What will they do if they become God anyway? Can't call down lightning, can't heal faithful ones, no flooding the world to purge infidels... What do? Almighty God of Pamphlet Distribution?


He's just going to giggle and walk around in circles. If I had the extra 4+ hours I've committed now to the game I wouldn't have screwed up my pretender quite so bad.


I'm fine with a restart where we wait until everyone is actually ready. Playing a gimped game is lame (for the player as well as the players who aren't close to said player ) and there won't be anything actually lost.

Also, this is why you make sure that everything is completely in order before starting a game of Dom .




There was too much delay, for the start of the game. I just prioritize the players that signed since last week. And this is not like KillerSOS will be rushed that easy, Agartha is the only nation with some amphibious power, that can attempt rush him, but I'll not do that.

He still has diplomacy to protect himself. you know, non aggression pacts, some neighbor can accept different borders in order to go in a 2v1 against another land nation-

I'll not restart the game, always will be one or more players complaining with those resets
Dominions 4: "Thrones of Ascension".
Lord Tolkien
Profile Joined November 2012
United States12084 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-06 22:40:14
May 06 2014 22:35 GMT
#135
On May 07 2014 02:02 Scip wrote:
Only 3 awake pretenders
Loads of research from Ulm, probably a rainbow pretender ?
Ulm looks like it got hit by an ugly event lol
Everyone let's dogpile Caelum, they got double the troop count of everyone else
And finally nobody had the balls (or the dragon) to attack provinces blind. Splendid :D

fk you, lrn2merc bro

Honestly though, the merc advantage will evaporate because it costs too much in the long-run to keep overbidding to maintain them.

And as Caelum my expansion will otherwise suck anyways unless I'm near some weak-ass, shieldless indies like Barbs. And the score graph lies because it counts based on net size of your army (troops x their size), and my units are all shitty size 3s lol. My actual combat effectiveness can't be measured by army size (that's like Ulm or something), neither can Vanheim's or Jotunheim's really.

What really matters is the amount of magic research I have, and the number of forts I have to churn out mages (and income if I have the latter two). My troops are all basically shit (indies are all better, except militia...well actually maybe not) to compensate for flying MM3.

And Mammoths are expensive yo.
"His father is pretty juicy tbh." ~WaveofShadow
HeatEXTEND
Profile Joined October 2012
Netherlands836 Posts
May 06 2014 22:35 GMT
#136
I'll play but let it be clear that I'd vote for a clean remake. Diplomacy isn't going to help dick with a useless pretender. And for the record, you did start the game out of the blue when it was clear that folks weren't quite ready, while there wasn't any reason whatsoever to rush anything. Do you have any clue how long games of Dom can last ? Waiting a day or two longer for a game to get started is like taking a piss in the ocean. I'd like for everyone playing to have a nice experience playing this first TL game and a rocky start (for no actual reason) is blergh. Yeah....
knuckle
HeatEXTEND
Profile Joined October 2012
Netherlands836 Posts
May 06 2014 22:38 GMT
#137
On May 07 2014 07:35 Lord Tolkien wrote:

Honestly though, the merc advantage will evaporate because it costs too much in the long-run to keep overbidding to maintain them.



Wasn't there some mechanic that if u "own" the mercs your bid will count double when you bid on them again ?
Might be thinking of another game though .
knuckle
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
May 06 2014 22:44 GMT
#138
Oh right, mercs, I have never bought mercs before LOL. Maybe I ought to try at some point
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
Lord Tolkien
Profile Joined November 2012
United States12084 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-06 23:07:06
May 06 2014 22:44 GMT
#139
On May 07 2014 07:38 HeatEXTEND wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2014 07:35 Lord Tolkien wrote:

Honestly though, the merc advantage will evaporate because it costs too much in the long-run to keep overbidding to maintain them.



Wasn't there some mechanic that if u "own" the mercs your bid will count double when you bid on them again ?
Might be thinking of another game though .

Yes, but the "effective" upkeep is more than that because you have to consistently overbid to maintain them against them from being stolen (non-merc people otherwise can just ignore mercs and not bid on them, and only go heavy bids when they're fighting and steal-em away). And national troops are better anyways with more flexibility involved generally (in reordering, regrouping, etc). It sucks up money that could be going for actual national troops (or mammoths in my case...), forts, or high-end mages. Even with Caelum, I can never get enough gold for mammoths (monstrous upkeep included).

There's opportunity costs involved. Like me having to heavily overbid on the first mercs to make sure it isn't stolen (otherwise not building a full order of mammoths isn't worth it).

Or I could be sandbagging heavily. :S

but i am playing Caelum so...I'll take the case!

@KillerSOS: At this rate, I'd say you COULD set yourself to AI and wait for the next TL game (which we can start later). We can do a reroll, but everyone's gotten a fair taste of each other's probable build orders and strats on Turn 2. Asking for a reroll would've been much better on Turn 1 where the only difference would be the start locations (some new titles are given away but w/e, there can be differences in the strats).

In any event, an AI Atlantis set to normal is only slightly annoying. You can stick with us, however! Atlantis already has enough magic built in, even without magic on the pretender. I won't attack you or anything (not like I could reasonably do so lol, only Agartha can before the late game, and even then it's a pain in the arse).

If you're very much interested in a game of Dom4 MP in the interim, try the desura forums and pop into one of the newbie games there. Remember, there's a time commitment though. I would wait to get some more EXP in SP. MP's a whole different ball game.

On May 07 2014 07:44 Scip wrote:
Oh right, mercs, I have never bought mercs before LOL. Maybe I ought to try at some point

Mercs are good for early game expansion. They can be sorta useful midgame if you need a raiding party and have spare gold, but they're not good past expansion period (for the actual armies). Well, besides a few very special ones like the Eternal Knights (who all kick ass imo).

The merc mages are interesting and situationally very useful, however. Dagan is alot of early research if he appears early for instance, and Obscuro can forge some Flying Boots.

You can also BM with blood nations by giving the merc mages Slave Collars right before their tenure is over so other players are bidding on febbleminded idiots. :s
"His father is pretty juicy tbh." ~WaveofShadow
xuanzue
Profile Joined October 2010
Colombia1747 Posts
May 06 2014 23:01 GMT
#140
On May 07 2014 07:35 HeatEXTEND wrote:
I'll play but let it be clear that I'd vote for a clean remake. Diplomacy isn't going to help dick with a useless pretender. And for the record, you did start the game out of the blue when it was clear that folks weren't quite ready, while there wasn't any reason whatsoever to rush anything. Do you have any clue how long games of Dom can last ? Waiting a day or two longer for a game to get started is like taking a piss in the ocean. I'd like for everyone playing to have a nice experience playing this first TL game and a rocky start (for no actual reason) is blergh. Yeah....


yeah, and I know how every summer in the Northern Hemisphere everyone asks for long postpones. so we can have a game before everyone start their beach trips or stay with the delay.

his inclusion in the game mostly affects 2 players, himself and me because I have the amphibious troops. So it's not that big deal.
Dominions 4: "Thrones of Ascension".
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 103 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31966
Calm 5936
Bisu 2629
Jaedong 1111
BeSt 463
Rush 433
Soma 398
Horang2 381
Larva 371
Stork 357
[ Show more ]
Light 255
Snow 177
Zeus 167
ZerO 165
Free 129
Mind 116
910 110
Barracks 80
Liquid`Ret 63
Sea.KH 51
Killer 43
Shinee 36
Hyun 36
Trap 33
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 24
sorry 23
Terrorterran 23
Aegong 22
Rock 18
Hm[arnc] 18
Sexy 11
Sacsri 9
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8517
XaKoH 409
Counter-Strike
fl0m4546
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes568
Other Games
singsing2315
hiko930
B2W.Neo618
Mlord342
mouzStarbuck225
DeMusliM200
Livibee178
Hui .176
FrodaN164
RotterdaM106
Trikslyr84
QueenE79
KnowMe63
Mew2King54
ZerO(Twitch)16
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile1125
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix16
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3952
• Jankos2472
• TFBlade753
Other Games
• Shiphtur643
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 15m
Big Brain Bouts
18h 15m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
Patches Events
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.