• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:21
CEST 12:21
KST 19:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8077 users

Ultra Street Fighter IV - Page 377

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 375 376 377 378 379 668 Next
Check out the new Street Fighter V Thread
CaM27
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium392 Posts
December 08 2013 13:24 GMT
#7521
Hi,

Here's a cute post.
I'm a total noob.

I never finished the game, i go far in medium difficulty (lol) and in difficult it's getting pretty bad for me.

I play with Ryu/Ken, any general advice? Is there any guy that makes some tutorials like day9 dailies?
Which char should i pick up to start with? Should i custom my controls? I use a simple xbox pad on pc.

Cheers
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 08 2013 14:25 GMT
#7522
I have the same question as CaM27! I can't even beat the boss on easy (urgh). I'm looking to get 'into' the scene but I just can't find decent tutorials. There's all these move lists but that doesn't exactly help. I like to play Vega and I can't even pull off some of the moves. I find I'm actually a bit better with keyboard (don't laugh please) as opposed to X-Box 360 pad.

My question is the same: are there any beginner level tutorials out there that really teach you how to play properly and don't just go through each move talking about what it does (which is what I can see myself)?

Cheers!
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
December 08 2013 15:12 GMT
#7523
A few ressources for you two then

VesperArcade Tutorials videos. Cover everything tied to game mechanics. Combos, option select, focus attack, execution..
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL744144A71C67D816

UltrachenTv. Closest thing you'll find to a Day9 daily type of show. 1st Attack by James Chen is usually about genera stuff while Ultradavid lvl 3 focus is more in depth and specific.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UltraChenTV?feature=watch

Terminology glossary
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/91061?threads/the-srk-glossary-wip.91061/
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
December 08 2013 17:46 GMT
#7524
On December 08 2013 22:24 CaM27 wrote:
Hi,

Here's a cute post.
I'm a total noob.

I never finished the game, i go far in medium difficulty (lol) and in difficult it's getting pretty bad for me.

I play with Ryu/Ken, any general advice? Is there any guy that makes some tutorials like day9 dailies?
Which char should i pick up to start with? Should i custom my controls? I use a simple xbox pad on pc.

Cheers


I wouldn't feel too bad about losing to the computer because they will throw out unsafe invincible reversals randomly. Seth, for example, will just throw out his EX lightning legs and that's a free punish for you with whatever you want. Zangief, T.Hawk, and Hakan with Ultra 1s armed will throw out their Ultras at random when you get close which usually means death.

The most important thing you can learn for whichever character you choose to play is a basic punish combo. That is, when Ryu is coming down from his Shoryuken, when your opponent is reeling from throwing out a failed Ultra, when the opponent is stunned, that's when you use this combo. Keep it as simple as something like, for Ryu or Ken, crouching heavy punch canceled into heavy punch Shoryuken for a solid 30% damage on most characters.
Moderator
Duka08
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
3391 Posts
December 08 2013 17:50 GMT
#7525
I also highly recommend VesperArcade's tutorial series that Noocta linked above! Even if you don't watch/practice the whole thing at once (since it slowly gets more and more complicated and into things you shouldn't have to worry about until you're a bit more experienced), it's a great intro to basics.

NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 08 2013 18:08 GMT
#7526
I checked out the first dozen of Vesper's videos. Not bad although, for my situation, he goes from super obvious to incredibly complex very quickly. One second we're talking about controller grips, the next it's FADCs, at least it seemed that way to me. I guess I just need to practice and train more. I think I'm gonna move away from Vega too, he's a charge character (right?) and that doesn't really work for me I guess. I might try Ibuki because he played her and it looked fun/strong. Or are there any beginner fighters well-suited for a newbie (that aren't Ken/Ryu)?

Thanks for the help so far!
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
December 08 2013 18:23 GMT
#7527
Guile and Balrog if you like charge characters. Ryu or Ken if you like motion characters is usually the way to go.
You can learn with anyone you like if you put in the work and don't mind losing a lot at the start. Be careful about picking up bad habits.
Ibuki is a popular character for people starting the game for some reason. She's complex to use at high level, but is still usable at low level, but you can learn the game the wrong way with her. Play the game to learn, not to win. Don't abuse gimmicky tactics if you can avoid it. Learn to play a strong ground game. Don't jump too much, etc etc
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
December 08 2013 18:42 GMT
#7528
I was in the same position a couple of months ago. Now I am cruising around 2k PP online with Ryu(still not very good, but at least not terribad).

I just played lots and looked up bread and butter combos, that's about it. I still have a lot of stuff to learn as well. I don't ever use focus attacks or FADCs and I only use 3 combos.
Duka08
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
3391 Posts
December 08 2013 20:16 GMT
#7529
On December 09 2013 03:08 NihiLStarcraft wrote:
I checked out the first dozen of Vesper's videos. Not bad although, for my situation, he goes from super obvious to incredibly complex very quickly. One second we're talking about controller grips, the next it's FADCs, at least it seemed that way to me. I guess I just need to practice and train more. I think I'm gonna move away from Vega too, he's a charge character (right?) and that doesn't really work for me I guess. I might try Ibuki because he played her and it looked fun/strong. Or are there any beginner fighters well-suited for a newbie (that aren't Ken/Ryu)?

Thanks for the help so far!

More important than anything else, play who you like the most and who feels right.
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
December 08 2013 22:17 GMT
#7530
Man, Chun Li look fucking scary in Ultra.
So solid. Her new jump will take time to get use to.
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
MiyaviTeddy
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada697 Posts
December 08 2013 22:24 GMT
#7531
THE BEST THING TO DO TO LEARN IS TO GO INTO TRAINING MODE
PUT THE DIFFICULTY TO WHATEVER DIFFICULTY YOU WANT (SOMETHING THAT CHALLENGES YOU AT LEAST)
PUT IT TO CPU MODE
HAVE FUN!

This is how I learn some things like whiff punishing,proper punishing, recognizing certain things, etc. No pressure from learning against a live opponent (though that helps you a lot more), you just keep going and grinding out some skills that will help you out.
Aiyeeeee
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 08 2013 23:50 GMT
#7532
Thanks for the tips. Looks like I have work to do! I might be back with more specific questions. It's great to see such a lively thread about Street Fighter here on TeamLiquid. Cheers.
Kentor *
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5784 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-09 05:33:27
December 09 2013 05:02 GMT
#7533
im a < 1000 PP noob on gfwl. who wants to play some endless? add me FallibleEmu34. NA
Duka08
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
3391 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-09 05:30:34
December 09 2013 05:30 GMT
#7534
On December 09 2013 14:02 Kentor wrote:
im a < 1000 PP noob on gfwl. who wants to play some endless? add me FallibleEmu34

NA or EU? Your name looks familiar. I'll add you next time I'm on: Duka08 (NA)
fishbowl
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1575 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-09 05:46:09
December 09 2013 05:45 GMT
#7535
On December 09 2013 14:02 Kentor wrote:
im a < 1000 PP noob on gfwl. who wants to play some endless? add me FallibleEmu34. NA

I think I've played you or seen your name in ranked a few times. Can't play right now but I'll also add you when I'm on. [NA] GFWL: curious kittens

If you've got Steam, you can add me @ Simon Phoenix
Kentor *
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5784 Posts
December 09 2013 06:18 GMT
#7536
On December 09 2013 14:45 fishbowl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2013 14:02 Kentor wrote:
im a < 1000 PP noob on gfwl. who wants to play some endless? add me FallibleEmu34. NA

I think I've played you or seen your name in ranked a few times. Can't play right now but I'll also add you when I'm on. [NA] GFWL: curious kittens

If you've got Steam, you can add me @ Simon Phoenix

i remember getting owned
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-09 21:36:35
December 09 2013 21:31 GMT
#7537
Okay I made some progress. Looked at a couple characters today, then actually liked Ryu the most for now. Went on to play a couple multiplayer matches and first one was against a 5.5k BP and 2k PP (whatever that means, the number next to the lower trophy icon said 512) - I'm a total noob (0 anything, haven't won a game yet) but it seems he was pretty damn good. Great matchmaking system, really. Then got some annoying dude that had the rounds set to 1 a couple times. Then gave up.

I'm really mostly struggling with the god awful X-Box 360 controls. The D-Pad is making my thumb hurt after an hour or two of play and even just the quartercircles for Ryu are highly unreliable... Any tips? I also tried the analog stick, maybe that's better? It doesn't feel as direct, though it makes the circles much easier of course. I'd like to get into the game more but I can't afford to buy a freaking fightstick just in case I actually do get sucked into it more. Maybe I should give my PC keyboard another try, even though I know that's highly unstandard... I know I played quite a bit of SF2 on an SNES emulator with keyboard and I could do quartercircles just fine on the keyboard (and the uppercut Z shapes as well).

Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
December 09 2013 21:39 GMT
#7538
On December 10 2013 06:31 NihiLStarcraft wrote:
Okay I made some progress. Looked at a couple characters today, then actually liked Ryu the most for now. Went on to play a couple multiplayer matches and first one was against a 5.5k BP and 2k PP (whatever that means, the number next to the lower trophy icon said 512) - I'm a total noob (0 anything, haven't won a game yet) but it seems he was pretty damn good. Great matchmaking system, really. Then got some annoying dude that had the rounds set to 1 a couple times. Then gave up.

I'm really mostly struggling with the god awful X-Box 360 controls. The D-Pad is making my thumb hurt after an hour or two of play and even just the quartercircles for Ryu are highly unreliable... Any tips? I also tried the analog stick, maybe that's better? It doesn't feel as direct, though it makes the circles much easier of course. I'd like to get into the game more but I can't afford to buy a freaking fightstick just in case I actually do get sucked into it more. Maybe I should give my PC keyboard another try, even though I know that's highly unstandard...


The XBox pad is pretty awful. When I switched to pad a couple of years ago, I started off on that one, but quickly started trying alternatives and I ended up settling on the PS2 pad. I assume you're playing on PC, so pretty much any pad will work as long as you have the right software.

Thumb strain is pretty much unavoidable if you play on pad; you'll eventually develop a callous there and it won't hurt anymore, just like playing guitar. When I was adjusting, I soaked the front of my thumb in rubbing alcohol ~3 times per day. It helps the callous to form more quickly.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Kentor *
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5784 Posts
December 09 2013 22:24 GMT
#7539
On December 10 2013 06:31 NihiLStarcraft wrote:
Okay I made some progress. Looked at a couple characters today, then actually liked Ryu the most for now. Went on to play a couple multiplayer matches and first one was against a 5.5k BP and 2k PP (whatever that means, the number next to the lower trophy icon said 512) - I'm a total noob (0 anything, haven't won a game yet) but it seems he was pretty damn good. Great matchmaking system, really. Then got some annoying dude that had the rounds set to 1 a couple times. Then gave up.

I'm really mostly struggling with the god awful X-Box 360 controls. The D-Pad is making my thumb hurt after an hour or two of play and even just the quartercircles for Ryu are highly unreliable... Any tips? I also tried the analog stick, maybe that's better? It doesn't feel as direct, though it makes the circles much easier of course. I'd like to get into the game more but I can't afford to buy a freaking fightstick just in case I actually do get sucked into it more. Maybe I should give my PC keyboard another try, even though I know that's highly unstandard... I know I played quite a bit of SF2 on an SNES emulator with keyboard and I could do quartercircles just fine on the keyboard (and the uppercut Z shapes as well).


Seems like you're using Quick Match? You shouldn't since you can end up with weird 1 round 60 time games. You can host but you can get a lot of good players joining. Or you can search for games and set the search criteria to 3 rounds, 99 second and same skill.

I dunno about keyboard/pad since I have a stick from the beginning, but I read that binding space to up on keyboard is a good idea.
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 09 2013 22:31 GMT
#7540
Thanks for the replies, Kentor and Celerity. I think I was doing RANKED -> QUICK MATCH. I will try keyboard tomorrow (I fully expected people to scream at me for even mentioning the possibility haha), hopefully that works a bit better. If not, I'll try the analog stick on the 360 pad, and if that fails, I guess I'll order a PS2 controller with an adapter for PC to see if that works better! I mean, I'd love to have a fightstick but they are so expensive - and while there are some really cheap ones I don't really trust them.
Prev 1 375 376 377 378 379 668 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 9879
StarCastTV_EN223
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings43
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 5825
Jaedong 2428
EffOrt 1718
actioN 880
BeSt 661
Soma 444
Killer 438
Horang2 438
Pusan 296
ZerO 265
[ Show more ]
Stork 171
Zeus 144
Rush 90
soO 76
HiyA 67
JYJ 56
Mong 32
Shinee 31
ToSsGirL 31
Barracks 28
Bale 28
NaDa 23
Sexy 22
Sharp 21
sorry 20
Terrorterran 20
JulyZerg 12
Noble 9
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc3382
XaKoH 341
Counter-Strike
edward70
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes978
WinterStarcraft828
Other Games
gofns48898
singsing1322
olofmeister1161
ceh9543
byalli369
Livibee195
Pyrionflax122
ArmadaUGS50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick524
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream374
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 153
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH359
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1920
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
13h 40m
Kung Fu Cup
1d
The PondCast
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.