• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:52
CEST 18:52
KST 01:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8695 users

Ultra Street Fighter IV - Page 378

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 376 377 378 379 380 668 Next
Check out the new Street Fighter V Thread
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
December 09 2013 22:32 GMT
#7541
I use a PS3 controller which is pretty easy on the thumb. If you're having difficulties, remember that you don't have to press THAT hard. You can also try not pressing with the tip of your thumb but closer to where the thumb bends, it doesn't hurt as much and personally I find it easier to make inputs with the thumb like that as well.

You don't need a stick to be competitive, it just comes down to preference. I'm guessing most of the pros use sticks because it all started on arcade machines and it has just become the standard. I guess triple punch/kick can be difficult to hit every time on a pad, but that's what the macro buttons are for.
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
December 09 2013 22:36 GMT
#7542
well, keyboard is pretty good actually (better than the xbox pad). The problem with it that tournaments mostly run on consoles, so it won't work there.
And all is illuminated.
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 09 2013 22:42 GMT
#7543
Thanks for all the help, this thread is so cool! I'm not looking to play any tourneys any time soon so keyboard it is.
fishbowl
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1575 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-09 22:47:41
December 09 2013 22:45 GMT
#7544
One other issue that may arise playing on keyboard is whether or not your keyboard has n-key rollover. If it doesn't, it might have a maximum number of keystrokes it can send at once which can screw up some key combinations.

If you do get used to/like the keyboard and end up wanting to play at locals/tourneys with something similar, check out a Hitbox. You can also construct your own if you wanted.
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 09 2013 22:53 GMT
#7545
I'm using a Steelseries 6gv2 mechanical keyboard which has n-key rollover in PS/2 mode, which is what I'm using, as opposed to USB!

Also thanks for the Hitbox tip, they look really cool! :p Will keep it in mind for later!
Duka08
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
3391 Posts
December 09 2013 22:57 GMT
#7546
On December 10 2013 07:24 Kentor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2013 06:31 NihiLStarcraft wrote:
Okay I made some progress. Looked at a couple characters today, then actually liked Ryu the most for now. Went on to play a couple multiplayer matches and first one was against a 5.5k BP and 2k PP (whatever that means, the number next to the lower trophy icon said 512) - I'm a total noob (0 anything, haven't won a game yet) but it seems he was pretty damn good. Great matchmaking system, really. Then got some annoying dude that had the rounds set to 1 a couple times. Then gave up.

I'm really mostly struggling with the god awful X-Box 360 controls. The D-Pad is making my thumb hurt after an hour or two of play and even just the quartercircles for Ryu are highly unreliable... Any tips? I also tried the analog stick, maybe that's better? It doesn't feel as direct, though it makes the circles much easier of course. I'd like to get into the game more but I can't afford to buy a freaking fightstick just in case I actually do get sucked into it more. Maybe I should give my PC keyboard another try, even though I know that's highly unstandard... I know I played quite a bit of SF2 on an SNES emulator with keyboard and I could do quartercircles just fine on the keyboard (and the uppercut Z shapes as well).


Seems like you're using Quick Match? You shouldn't since you can end up with weird 1 round 60 time games. You can host but you can get a lot of good players joining. Or you can search for games and set the search criteria to 3 rounds, 99 second and same skill.

I dunno about keyboard/pad since I have a stick from the beginning, but I read that binding space to up on keyboard is a good idea.

As Kentor mentions here, DON'T use quick match!! Go to Ranked -> Custom Match and set it to 3 rounds, 99 seconds. Then you can also set region to same, and play with the skill setting too.
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 09 2013 22:59 GMT
#7547
Ah makes sense. I had no idea!
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-09 23:56:42
December 09 2013 23:32 GMT
#7548
Dang. I just wanted to play a bit of endless tonight and got rocked 1-13 against a Cody player.
Shit's hurt. t_t

IU need to play against good players more often, I'm getting soft
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
Tilorn91
Profile Joined July 2012
Serbia218 Posts
December 10 2013 00:00 GMT
#7549
This is probably a terribly noob question, but on steam I can only find Street Fighter IV for 19.99e released on 7 Jul 2009, and I'm worried about spending money on it if it's not arcade edition, am I missing something here?
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
December 10 2013 00:06 GMT
#7550
On December 10 2013 09:00 Tilorn91 wrote:
This is probably a terribly noob question, but on steam I can only find Street Fighter IV for 19.99e released on 7 Jul 2009, and I'm worried about spending money on it if it's not arcade edition, am I missing something here?


Don't buy that, it's vanilla. Search for Arcade Edition and you'll find the version you want.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4019 Posts
December 10 2013 00:13 GMT
#7551
On December 10 2013 09:00 Tilorn91 wrote:
This is probably a terribly noob question, but on steam I can only find Street Fighter IV for 19.99e released on 7 Jul 2009, and I'm worried about spending money on it if it's not arcade edition, am I missing something here?

It's there, Arcade Edition, released on 8 jul 2011. 19.99 euro atm. Too bad there's no sale coming up, I think it was on sale once for about 8 bucks, last summer.
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
December 10 2013 04:10 GMT
#7552
On December 10 2013 09:13 aseq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2013 09:00 Tilorn91 wrote:
This is probably a terribly noob question, but on steam I can only find Street Fighter IV for 19.99e released on 7 Jul 2009, and I'm worried about spending money on it if it's not arcade edition, am I missing something here?

It's there, Arcade Edition, released on 8 jul 2011. 19.99 euro atm. Too bad there's no sale coming up, I think it was on sale once for about 8 bucks, last summer.


Was also in the Fall Sale a couple weeks ago.

Also...there's Christmas coming up...and it'll most definitely be in there.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Tilorn91
Profile Joined July 2012
Serbia218 Posts
December 10 2013 07:41 GMT
#7553
Just googled what's going on, apparently since my region is not supported by gfwl the game is not available on steam for me. Guess I'll just have to get the retail version for twice the money.
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
December 10 2013 08:10 GMT
#7554
Or you can wait for Ultra edition, which will ditch gfwl!
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 10 2013 13:42 GMT
#7555
Keyboard works really well for me, definitely a lot better than X-Box 360 pad. I can now pull off all of Ryu's moves pretty reliably, which is great. I still haven't won a single multiplayer match though. I'm now doing Custom Games and I set it to same skill but I'm still being matched up against C+s an better even though I am D with 0 wins out of 25 matches... That's unbelievably frustrating. I guess I need more practice in singleplayer before I can even play online.

Also, as a Ryu player... WTF is Evil Ryu? He seems to be straight up better than me in every way haha.
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4019 Posts
December 10 2013 14:18 GMT
#7556
On December 10 2013 22:42 NihiLStarcraft wrote:
Keyboard works really well for me, definitely a lot better than X-Box 360 pad. I can now pull off all of Ryu's moves pretty reliably, which is great. I still haven't won a single multiplayer match though. I'm now doing Custom Games and I set it to same skill but I'm still being matched up against C+s an better even though I am D with 0 wins out of 25 matches... That's unbelievably frustrating. I guess I need more practice in singleplayer before I can even play online.

Also, as a Ryu player... WTF is Evil Ryu? He seems to be straight up better than me in every way haha.


The amount of new players just isn't that big, so it's not very strange you lose everything in the beginning (unless you'd play me ). Just don't let it get to you! It's the same when you compare Diamond League now to when it first started.

E.Ryu isn't better than Ryu, I'd even say he's slightly worse. He's different and more difficult to start with though.
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
December 10 2013 14:22 GMT
#7557
Haha thanks for the 'chin up' advice!

Well, I've just been confused about E. Ryus flame hadouken that seems to be just like me EX hadouken in the sense that it travels through opponent projectiles but it doesn't cost EX. That's been really annoying me at range because it leaves me optionless. If I shoot hadoukens, he counters with his better free flame hadoukens. If I do the spin move (quartercircle away and kick), he straight up breaks me out of it (I think this move is really dangerous and, well, bad in the non-EX version, am I right? Does it have much of a use?) and if I try to get to him via air he shoryukens me of course!

Please note that I'm really bad at the game so there's probably thousands of things I could be doing or should be doing that I'm just not capable of!
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4019 Posts
December 10 2013 14:39 GMT
#7558
Doing straight up Tatsu's (quarter circle back+K) often isn't a good idea. You can combo into them, and maybe if the opponent is only throwing fireballs, try to predict the next one. But your match-up should consist of too many special moves, focus more on the normal moves and combos first. It's scary, but try and walk up to him a bit and see if he does a normal move (such as sweep), and quickly block and try to counter those with a normal move of your own. Gaining ground is important in this game, many beginning players will often only just use jump to get forward. When you're close to him, you can try to do: down+medium kick, then fireball. It will combo, and isn't much harder to do then just doing a fireball because the stick movement is the same, you just add the kick button. Also, the startup time is much shorter (5 vs 13 frames).
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
December 10 2013 14:43 GMT
#7559
On December 10 2013 22:42 NihiLStarcraft wrote:
Keyboard works really well for me, definitely a lot better than X-Box 360 pad. I can now pull off all of Ryu's moves pretty reliably, which is great. I still haven't won a single multiplayer match though. I'm now doing Custom Games and I set it to same skill but I'm still being matched up against C+s an better even though I am D with 0 wins out of 25 matches... That's unbelievably frustrating. I guess I need more practice in singleplayer before I can even play online.

Also, as a Ryu player... WTF is Evil Ryu? He seems to be straight up better than me in every way haha.

The matchmaking on PC isn't the best, it's something that you have to live with.

On December 10 2013 23:22 NihiLStarcraft wrote:
Well, I've just been confused about E. Ryus flame hadouken that seems to be just like me EX hadouken in the sense that it travels through opponent projectiles but it doesn't cost EX. That's been really annoying me at range because it leaves me optionless. If I shoot hadoukens, he counters with his better free flame hadoukens. If I do the spin move (quartercircle away and kick), he straight up breaks me out of it (I think this move is really dangerous and, well, bad in the non-EX version, am I right? Does it have much of a use?) and if I try to get to him via air he shoryukens me of course!

If you are talking about Evil Ryu's Shakunetsu Hadoken, (half-circle back + punch), light version hits once, medium version hits twice, heavy and ex trice. This means that, for example, a heavy red fireball can nullify another single-hit fireball (like a normal hadoken) and still continue traveling among them map. (Unless I'm completely mistaken)

However, the attack has longer start-up and recovery compared to a normal Hadoken, meaning that there is some risk with throwing them out there.
EZ4ENCE
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-10 16:09:29
December 10 2013 16:06 GMT
#7560
Thanks you two! Will be trying again later tonight after I practice my crossovers (I've been trying this in games without practice before and it's already done wonders, looks like medium kick is the way to go for it with Ryu?) and getting even more consistent with all my special attacks. Once again, I have to say this is an amazing thread, everybody is so nice and helpful around here, thank you so much! ♥

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking of ditching the fierce punch and roundhouse kick buttons completely and instead binding the all-attack macros to those. I've noticed that I often want to execute an EX move and accidentally hit the heavy attack button instead of the macro on my keyboard. I mean, the macros act just like the heavy attacks anyways. And if I have EX and for strategical reasons still want to do a non-EX move that can be EXed, I can still just use the light or medium attack button. Does that make sense? Or am I overseeing something?
Prev 1 376 377 378 379 380 668 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 8m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 63
Codebar 35
UpATreeSC 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1243
EffOrt 1192
Mini 708
Soma 625
actioN 468
Rush 438
Light 326
Larva 311
BeSt 223
Snow 153
[ Show more ]
hero 129
firebathero 111
Dewaltoss 102
Zeus 67
Barracks 58
Liquid`Ret 52
Sexy 30
Shine 27
JYJ 26
soO 26
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 24
Trap 23
Bale 23
Rock 11
zelot 11
Sacsri 8
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8273
qojqva2097
Dendi895
420jenkins174
Counter-Strike
Fnx 787
pashabiceps669
x6flipin540
ceh9378
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5663
Grubby3605
Liquid`Hasu353
Other Games
Beastyqt545
byalli428
B2W.Neo422
Khaldor188
Liquid`VortiX168
DeMusliM155
ArmadaUGS142
KnowMe140
BRAT_OK 86
C9.Mang074
TKL 61
Trikslyr61
Railgan5
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV268
BasetradeTV217
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream144
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH251
• StrangeGG 71
• mYiSmile126
• Reevou 3
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 14
• FirePhoenix11
• 80smullet 6
• Azhi_Dahaki4
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV416
League of Legends
• Nemesis2887
• TFBlade766
Other Games
• Shiphtur267
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 8m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 8m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.