• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:04
CEST 09:04
KST 16:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202615Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8733 users

Tribes: Ascend - FPS announced by Hi-Rez Studios. - Page 166

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 164 165 166 167 168 196 Next
Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
May 14 2012 02:12 GMT
#3301
On May 14 2012 11:09 TBone- wrote:
Wow, hope Talespin finds a new home. One of my favorite snipers to watch.

Rumour has it hes going to legion. Once again, this is just unconfirmed things from #ascend.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-14 03:29:05
May 14 2012 03:06 GMT
#3302
I started playing this game a few weeks ago and to some extent it does capture the magic behind Tribes 2. There are some things about it that irk me though. First, it's free-to-pay, which is a personal pet peeve of mine with regard to game design. The XP grind is inflated heavily due to the existence of the VIP bonus and Boosters. Second and related, matchmaking feels fine up until Rank 7, because the Rank <7 matchmaking pool consists of other Rank 1-7 players. Beyond that, you get thrown in with everyone, and many of these players have grinded out or purchased all of the classes and weapons, resulting in a disadvantage for the inexperienced player. Rank 7 isn't even enough to earn your first new class and 100k weapon. There have been quite a few times where I've died to something because I don't have access to a particular class, weapon, perk, or item since I haven't unlocked it, which is an irritating feeling.

I was part of a low-skill Tribes 2 clan but the interface in the game is lacking severely and doesn't carry the same sense of community that T2 did. I probably won't invest the time necessary to join a competitive team anyway, this is just something I noticed.

I've been playing Sentinel for two reasons: 1. I despise the concept of inheritance (projectiles inheriting a percentage of the player's velocity) and find it very difficult to adjust to using projecile weapons as a result, and 2. I used to play sniper in T2. Sentinel is a very difficult class to play because the scoped zoom level is so minor, the hitboxes are extremely tiny at a distance (and hit detection and/or lag compensation it seems is inaccurate??), and players commonly move at extremely high speeds. I've nearly unlocked the Laser Rifle but I heard it's a sidegrade to the starting rifle unfortunately. The damage output on sniper rifles is dramatically lower than in previous Tribes games but people still seem to claim that Sentinels are borderline overpowered. Is it worth it to continue going for the Laser Rifle, or should I upgrade what I already have and invest in perks and class upgrades instead? And, is it worth it in the long run to unlock another class exclusively for the purpose of racking up XP quickly, and if so, which class and weapon?
Moderator
TBone-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2309 Posts
May 14 2012 03:21 GMT
#3303
Heya Excalibur, I'd advise against going for the Phase Rifle. Its situationally better and worse, but the scope itself is really awkward to use if you look at this image.+ Show Spoiler +
http://imageshack.us/f/828/screenshot00010na.png/


If your good at sniping, stay with it. Most of the maps have routes where the cappers are going towards you directly if you position yourself correctly. Making it incredibly easy to kill, making it easy xp. But if you think its starting to get stale, raider is the best dueling class so naturally, you'll get a lot of kills so you get a lot of xp. Both of those are the big xp classes. You could make an argument for infiltrator being better for xp, but I don't have experience with it so I won't comment on that.
Eve online FC, lover of all competition
Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
May 14 2012 03:25 GMT
#3304
Or you can just buy a tank/shrike and top the scoreboard with a little bit of practice.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
Aetherial
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia917 Posts
May 14 2012 03:41 GMT
#3305
On May 14 2012 10:19 Coriolis wrote:
According to #ascend, talespin has left A51.


Dang, whatever team gets him will be lucky... sick sentinel player! I watched him play vs Tao, so many clutch shots.
Diks
Profile Joined January 2010
Belgium1880 Posts
May 14 2012 05:14 GMT
#3306
Tough for A51 !
Talespin was like the principal reason why they made some result, without him I don't expect to hear much about them wich is sad when we see the entertaining games they offered against Tao
Pablols
Profile Joined August 2009
Chile519 Posts
May 14 2012 06:54 GMT
#3307
On May 14 2012 12:21 TBone- wrote:
Heya Excalibur, I'd advise against going for the Phase Rifle. Its situationally better and worse, but the scope itself is really awkward to use if you look at this image.+ Show Spoiler +
http://imageshack.us/f/828/screenshot00010na.png/


If your good at sniping, stay with it. Most of the maps have routes where the cappers are going towards you directly if you position yourself correctly. Making it incredibly easy to kill, making it easy xp. But if you think its starting to get stale, raider is the best dueling class so naturally, you'll get a lot of kills so you get a lot of xp. Both of those are the big xp classes. You could make an argument for infiltrator being better for xp, but I don't have experience with it so I won't comment on that.


I used to play sentinel and I got really godly with the phase rifle, It has really crazy dps if you hit the first shot.
Sadly after an update where they "upgraded" the scope to the image you have there it became extremely uncomfortable to use so I just switched to the regular rifle. I think the weapon has potential, but they really need to fix the scope.
Rouel
Profile Joined March 2009
Sweden138 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-14 06:56:51
May 14 2012 06:55 GMT
#3308
In the finals post-game talk the casters and Deadstop players were wondering if Legion had any line-up changes to announce for NASL but zato declined to comment with giggling and snickering in the background. Also.... + Show Spoiler +
Legion had projectile come on off-role after the first game where their regular, terrible sniper had a grand total of 4 kills in 25 minutes. Then they suffered in the last game because they had no light chaser (projectiles usual role).
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
May 14 2012 07:28 GMT
#3309
On May 14 2012 15:54 Pablols wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2012 12:21 TBone- wrote:
Heya Excalibur, I'd advise against going for the Phase Rifle. Its situationally better and worse, but the scope itself is really awkward to use if you look at this image.+ Show Spoiler +
http://imageshack.us/f/828/screenshot00010na.png/


If your good at sniping, stay with it. Most of the maps have routes where the cappers are going towards you directly if you position yourself correctly. Making it incredibly easy to kill, making it easy xp. But if you think its starting to get stale, raider is the best dueling class so naturally, you'll get a lot of kills so you get a lot of xp. Both of those are the big xp classes. You could make an argument for infiltrator being better for xp, but I don't have experience with it so I won't comment on that.


I used to play sentinel and I got really godly with the phase rifle, It has really crazy dps if you hit the first shot.
Sadly after an update where they "upgraded" the scope to the image you have there it became extremely uncomfortable to use so I just switched to the regular rifle. I think the weapon has potential, but they really need to fix the scope.


Unfortunately I bought the gun before I saw this post so I found out firsthand just how terrible that scope is. You can't see anything with it and it only does 10 more damage than the BTX at a full charge(!!). In order to get the dps I need to kill a capper quickly using a double-tap I'm going to need full energy regen and both energy capacity perks. That's a TON of investment for what starts out as a rather subpar rifle. Honestly it's easier to score hits by no-scoping which is extremely ironic. Is there a way to change the FOV or something so I can get a sort of ghetto-scope working?
Moderator
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
May 14 2012 07:57 GMT
#3310
options gameplay fov i think, don't know how this affects scoped rifles though. But running max fov (120) plus smaller weapon models > all ^^ so much more vision
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
May 14 2012 10:39 GMT
#3311
On May 14 2012 15:55 Rouel wrote:
Also.... + Show Spoiler +
4 kills in 25 minutes.

eh?!
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
May 14 2012 12:40 GMT
#3312
So I've noticed that as my skill with one of the weapons in Tribes increases, my skill with all the weapons increases by a similar amount. The most dramatic example would be when I switched my Shrike sensitivity to be the same as my mouse sensitivity and suddenly went from bad to fucking 50+ kills, 10+ of which were from running over poor saps.
This begs the question, can I master all the weapons in Tribes? Why/why not?
Also, when playing as inf, I have noticed that explosive weapons are lethal indoors, which makes me think infs would go spinfusor/jackal, but many infs use SMGs, which makes me ask, which inf weapons are the best in any given situation? I make it a habit to not use the jackal, due to OPness (that is bad because of incoming and unpredictable nerfs, not because I feel bad. I have no shame =) ) and tournament bans. I use the spinfusor indoors since it is explosive, stickies for heavy weaponry and positional play and knives pretty much anywhere outside for any circumstance. The knives are powerful enough that, if you don't miss, lights die before they can return fire, mediums only take one more hit than lights and heavies... well... you can't not hit heavies with knives.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
May 14 2012 12:43 GMT
#3313
On May 14 2012 15:55 Rouel wrote:
In the finals post-game talk the casters and Deadstop players were wondering if Legion had any line-up changes to announce for NASL but zato declined to comment with giggling and snickering in the background. Also.... + Show Spoiler +
Legion had projectile come on off-role after the first game where their regular, terrible sniper had a grand total of 4 kills in 25 minutes. Then they suffered in the last game because they had no light chaser (projectiles usual role).


I should join Legion and go pro. I'm better than that!
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
Ethenielle
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Norway1006 Posts
May 14 2012 13:12 GMT
#3314
Equal shrike sens.. Oo

My normal mouse sens is 5, vehicle is 40. I used to have a low vehicle sens but then I had to drag my mouse 10 times around the mousepad just for a 180 turn, so I changed.

People use/used SMG on infiltrator because they scream chaingun OP LOL. But like you said, explosive is supreme for anything but open terrain duels, and if you're caught open terrain with infiltrator you deserve to die anyway. Seems like most competitive infils have changed to spinfusor lately though.
Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Coriolis
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1152 Posts
May 14 2012 13:19 GMT
#3315
Need moar than 40. I used 90, and afaik most of the other shrikers run really high shrike sens as well. The shrike turn rate caps out at some point, but the high sens is still nice to have. The higher you can deal with the better.

Now for regular gameplay, the lower sens you can deal with the better.
Descolada in everything not TL/Starcraft
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
May 14 2012 13:27 GMT
#3316
On May 14 2012 21:40 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
So I've noticed that as my skill with one of the weapons in Tribes increases, my skill with all the weapons increases by a similar amount. The most dramatic example would be when I switched my Shrike sensitivity to be the same as my mouse sensitivity and suddenly went from bad to fucking 50+ kills, 10+ of which were from running over poor saps.
This begs the question, can I master all the weapons in Tribes? Why/why not?
Also, when playing as inf, I have noticed that explosive weapons are lethal indoors, which makes me think infs would go spinfusor/jackal, but many infs use SMGs, which makes me ask, which inf weapons are the best in any given situation? I make it a habit to not use the jackal, due to OPness (that is bad because of incoming and unpredictable nerfs, not because I feel bad. I have no shame =) ) and tournament bans. I use the spinfusor indoors since it is explosive, stickies for heavy weaponry and positional play and knives pretty much anywhere outside for any circumstance. The knives are powerful enough that, if you don't miss, lights die before they can return fire, mediums only take one more hit than lights and heavies... well... you can't not hit heavies with knives.


you have to keep in mind, both spinfusor and jackal are not free. You need to either pay money or 100k xp for jackal (don't know what spinfusor costs, but i'd assume a lot as well) to unlock those, so a lot of infs simply don't have them and have to run with SMG which is free because of that. Not because they chose to do so.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
May 14 2012 14:39 GMT
#3317
On May 14 2012 22:27 MisterD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2012 21:40 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
So I've noticed that as my skill with one of the weapons in Tribes increases, my skill with all the weapons increases by a similar amount. The most dramatic example would be when I switched my Shrike sensitivity to be the same as my mouse sensitivity and suddenly went from bad to fucking 50+ kills, 10+ of which were from running over poor saps.
This begs the question, can I master all the weapons in Tribes? Why/why not?
Also, when playing as inf, I have noticed that explosive weapons are lethal indoors, which makes me think infs would go spinfusor/jackal, but many infs use SMGs, which makes me ask, which inf weapons are the best in any given situation? I make it a habit to not use the jackal, due to OPness (that is bad because of incoming and unpredictable nerfs, not because I feel bad. I have no shame =) ) and tournament bans. I use the spinfusor indoors since it is explosive, stickies for heavy weaponry and positional play and knives pretty much anywhere outside for any circumstance. The knives are powerful enough that, if you don't miss, lights die before they can return fire, mediums only take one more hit than lights and heavies... well... you can't not hit heavies with knives.


you have to keep in mind, both spinfusor and jackal are not free. You need to either pay money or 100k xp for jackal (don't know what spinfusor costs, but i'd assume a lot as well) to unlock those, so a lot of infs simply don't have them and have to run with SMG which is free because of that. Not because they chose to do so.


I disagree, and I've made this point in this thread before. There's a lot of people who choose to use the SMG for various reasons, myself included. A lot of competitive players use it when they go infil in matches as well. The SMG is guaranteed damage on flying units, while the Spinfusor or Jackal are only consistently effective against grounded targets. Yes, a Spinfusor or Jackal can take out base assets better, but that's not your job -- ask your Juggernaut.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's always better, or even most of the time better; it depends on the situation. There are times when it's a lot of fun to run Spinfusor or Jackal, and there's several viable builds that necessitate one or the other -- for instance, if you want to run smoke bombs, you pretty much have to grab the Spinfusor or the Jackal for any kind of burst damage. I'm just saying you shouldn't discount the SMG, because chainguns > all in this game, and the Rhino is one of the best.

My preferred setup is SMG with Stickies, running Survivalist with either Safety Third or Looter depending on my mood. Secondary is Jackal/Spin with Smoke, with the same perks.
TL+ Member
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-14 14:55:33
May 14 2012 14:54 GMT
#3318
i didn't say everyone who uses smg couldn't afford anything else yet. I just said a lot of people haven't done so. SMG is of course superior if you have the aim and spend some time outside of gen rooms or even shooting through long corridors inside of bases. But still, a lot of players will run SMG solely because they don't have anything else or because they think the disadvantage of SMG is not big enough to prioritize it over other purchases. That is especially the case for most players that don't have very good SMG aim (which the majority of players doesn't, myself included :p ) i would assume.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-14 17:53:26
May 14 2012 17:46 GMT
#3319
Equal shrike sens.. Oo

My normal mouse sens is 5, vehicle is 40. I used to have a low vehicle sens but then I had to drag my mouse 10 times around the mousepad just for a 180 turn, so I changed.

People use/used SMG on infiltrator because they scream chaingun OP LOL. But like you said, explosive is supreme for anything but open terrain duels, and if you're caught open terrain with infiltrator you deserve to die anyway. Seems like most competitive infils have changed to spinfusor lately though.


What's so shocking about equal shrike sens? The carryover from my gamesense with my other weapons allows me to aim for and hit targets when they are behind my shrike on a consistent basis.
Also, ironically, everyone answered the second question, but no one answered the first.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-14 17:56:23
May 14 2012 17:53 GMT
#3320
On May 15 2012 02:46 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
Show nested quote +
Equal shrike sens.. Oo

My normal mouse sens is 5, vehicle is 40. I used to have a low vehicle sens but then I had to drag my mouse 10 times around the mousepad just for a 180 turn, so I changed.

People use/used SMG on infiltrator because they scream chaingun OP LOL. But like you said, explosive is supreme for anything but open terrain duels, and if you're caught open terrain with infiltrator you deserve to die anyway. Seems like most competitive infils have changed to spinfusor lately though.


What's so shocking about equal shrike sens?


How do you stop the spinning when you are not shriking?

Or, how do you turn at all with the shrike?

I get it if you have like a table going around you and you just spin your chair a few turns whenever you want to go in a different direction.


Playing the tank in pubs is fun, people are so bad that they can't kill you even with infs or raiders.
Is there a cap to the tank sensitivity ? I just realized I may be playing at way too low sens, although I assume there is a cap as the cannon never spins around like crazy.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
Prev 1 164 165 166 167 168 196 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4097
Mong 83
ToSsGirL 78
sorry 52
Noble 10
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King138
Other Games
summit1g8426
WinterStarcraft628
ceh9443
Happy252
Sick172
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 38
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2275
League of Legends
• Stunt434
Other Games
• Shiphtur531
Upcoming Events
OSC
15h 56m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 2h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 9h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 11h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.