• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:34
CEST 19:34
KST 02:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7125 users

Mass Effect 3 - Page 175

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 173 174 175 176 177 179 Next
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
July 02 2012 01:39 GMT
#3481
What was up with the Illusive man? Who is he and where did he come from and why was he so fucked up?
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
HaXXspetten
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Sweden15718 Posts
July 02 2012 05:56 GMT
#3482
Okay, so I've been abroad for the last week or so, and haven't been able to play the Extended Cut yet, and was planning to do so today, but I came to the realisation that since I haven't touched the multiplayer in about two months, my galactic readiness is back at 50%. Do I really have to start playing MP again for a few days to bring that back up in order to get the most out of the DLC, or does the Extended Cut merely affect cinematics unrelated to your EMS? I mean I don't think the MP is bad, I just don't really feel like it anymore.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't want to look at the thread since I haven't actually played it yet and I don't like spoilers. If someone who knows for sure could PM me, I'd appreciate it, thanks.
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
July 02 2012 06:30 GMT
#3483
no you do not need to play multiplayer to get the best endings.
In fact, I heard they lowered the war chest requirement to get the best endings by almost half.
moo...for DRG
Thezzy
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands2117 Posts
July 02 2012 07:17 GMT
#3484
On July 02 2012 10:39 Torte de Lini wrote:
What was up with the Illusive man? Who is he and where did he come from and why was he so fucked up?


Not sure where he came from although it's possible he simply took a Cerberus shuttle (before you attack Cereberus HQ) and went to the Citadel. Being indoctrinated, the Reapers would've likely let him pass.

As for his condition, I think that's from his attempt to take control of the Reapers (the blue ending preview).
Playing Terran is like flying down a MULE drop in a marine suit, firing a Gauss Rifle
HeeroFX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2704 Posts
July 02 2012 12:48 GMT
#3485
On July 02 2012 16:17 Thezzy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 02 2012 10:39 Torte de Lini wrote:
What was up with the Illusive man? Who is he and where did he come from and why was he so fucked up?


Not sure where he came from although it's possible he simply took a Cerberus shuttle (before you attack Cereberus HQ) and went to the Citadel. Being indoctrinated, the Reapers would've likely let him pass.

As for his condition, I think that's from his attempt to take control of the Reapers (the blue ending preview).




I think that cerberus was actually a black ops group for the alliance at first(you hear this from the two female guards while you are getting scanned to leave the war room. (which btw makes no sense, why prevent weapons from the war room, if I really wanted to kill everyone I would just go to engineering and overload the engines or something) So my theory for the origin of the the Illusive man is that either he was the boss of the black ops group and alliance covered that up so only people at the top know about it. As for why he was messed up at the end it is because he was indoctrinated by the reapers, and that is why he wants to control them so bad. If you think about it, the Reapers at this point are doing everything to prevent themselves from being destroyed, and control/synthesis make sure they win, so it is possible the illusive got there and was indoctrinated.
LunArMerlin
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany119 Posts
July 02 2012 13:05 GMT
#3486
Am I the only one who has a big smile on his face that after dozens of sites with whining about the ending, all it takes to show us again how great the game really is, is Torte de Linis LR of a sorta clumsy playthrough.

Up until the end ME3 is really one of the best and emotional storytelling games in recent history
“Boldy they rode and well, Into the jaws of Death, Into the mouth of Hell” - The Charge Of The Light Brigade, Alfred, Lord Tennyson
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
July 02 2012 13:11 GMT
#3487
An EMS of 3100 will unlock the synthesis ending now, so no, you shouldn't need to play multiplayer to get it back up.

As for my opinion of the endings...I think they did a great job of further explicating what exactly their ending entailed, and what the starchild is. It's not terrible like it was before, but it's still a far cry from the ending I feel like we should have gotten.

Very long stuff in spoiler...
+ Show Spoiler +
The dialogue changes in that scene really allow the whole thing to make a lot more sense. The Reapers were created by the Starchild to solve the problem it was created to solve, which was to end a conflict between its creators and some kind of synthetic threat. The Starchild concluded that the best way to deal with the problem was to preserve organics in ascended form as Reapers (I assume the same thing for synthetics as well).

The Starchild isn't some retarded deity like we originally thought, but, as Shepard says, is effectively a VI that turned on its creators. It isn't inherently evil, but is just limited in scope.

The biggest issue I have with the ending is that they effectively created a problem no one really thinks about and made it into the centerpiece of the entire Mass Effect trilogy. The whole synthetics vs organics thing is just weird. It's forshadowed only by the Geth/Quarian conflict, and even then, it's the Quarians who made the first move against the Geth. There was no fundamental conflict between them, implied or otherwise. Bioware essentially created a problem out of thin air.

As for the endings...the synthesis ending is just a dumb idea that relies on the shaky premise that, for whatever reason, synthetics and organics just can't get along (for fuck's sake, you get the Quarians and Geth to make peace with a bright future together). It's a problem that no one was aware of until the Starchild scene, and completely goes against everything the games said about the matter stretching all the way back to ME1.

The destruction and control endings stir up feelings of utter incredulity in me, but I'm more or less willing to suspend my disbelief for them. The biggest thing that bothers me, though, is just how the destruction ending works...why does it kill all synthetic life? Why doesn't it just kill the Reapers? What do they all share in common? What's the cutoff? Will VIs be affected? Does it target technology of some kind? I mean...it makes more sense than the retarded synthesis ending, but I mean...it's still just weird to think that somehow the catalyst has any control over things it's not directly connected or related to.

The synthesis ending does make some sense in that the whole synthesis thing plausibly could be considered the apex of evolution, but I don't like how Bioware approached that in-game. The Starchild talks about how evolution will be complete and done at that point. The game speaks with a note of finality that kind of makes it seem like the galaxy ends anyway. If everything is said and done at that point, and a permanent peace is brokered, what room is there left to grow? That's a weird state for the Galaxy to be in, in my opinion.

I don't know. I'm satisfied with the extended ending in that they pretty much did everything they needed to for the sake of their ending. I'm not satisfied, however, with the ending itself.

This is just personal whining, but I really do wish Shepard didn't have to die at the end. After spending hundreds of hours on the three games, you kind of really just want a nice fairytale ending where the Reapers are all dead and you can walk away with your romance option and squadmates and live happily ever after.

Bioware tried to go for something a bit more high brow (I guess you could call it), which inevitably leaves people with a slightly off taste in their mouths at the end. Let's say in an alternate universe, Bioware makes a great ending in the same spirit (no happiness ever after), and it'd still feel kind of like a kick in the nuts after all the player investment over the years.

That's just me, though.

All in all...fuck my life. I am absolutely in love with all three games (of course, barring the ME3 endings), and I love the Mass Effect universe. It's so sad that the ME3 endings are so bad they completely distract from how awesome everything before them is.


TL;DR: Extended cut made endings nearly the best they could be. The execution is solid now, but the endings overall are still just bad.
Hello
HaXXspetten
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Sweden15718 Posts
July 02 2012 13:31 GMT
#3488
Pretty much. Although the endings are still a huge letdown, I do think that they're at least acceptable this time around. At least the non-sensical aspects got cleaned up.
heishe
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany2284 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-02 13:35:56
July 02 2012 13:35 GMT
#3489
Spoiler-ish statement regarding ending by Bioware employee:

+ Show Spoiler +
A Bioware employee now pretty much stated that Shepard is, in fact, still alive, at least in the destruction ending.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/12758618#12758842 :

You may notice that in the “Shepard lives” ending, the love interest hesitates to place Shepard’s name on the wall, and instead looks up as though deep in thought. This is meant to suggest that the love interest is not ready to believe Shepard is dead, and the final scene reveals they are correct. As the Normandy lifts off, there is hope that the love interest and Shepard will again be together.

If you value your soul, never look into the eye of a horse. Your soul will forever be lost in the void of the horse.
HeeroFX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2704 Posts
July 02 2012 16:05 GMT
#3490
On July 02 2012 22:35 heishe wrote:
Spoiler-ish statement regarding ending by Bioware employee:

+ Show Spoiler +
A Bioware employee now pretty much stated that Shepard is, in fact, still alive, at least in the destruction ending.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/12758618#12758842 :

You may notice that in the “Shepard lives” ending, the love interest hesitates to place Shepard’s name on the wall, and instead looks up as though deep in thought. This is meant to suggest that the love interest is not ready to believe Shepard is dead, and the final scene reveals they are correct. As the Normandy lifts off, there is hope that the love interest and Shepard will again be together.




I read that, and I also thought the same thing. But I feel like one of the biggest themes in the game is "Hope" And that whole scene just sticks to the theme of hope in my mind.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
July 02 2012 16:56 GMT
#3491
On July 02 2012 22:05 LunArMerlin wrote:
Am I the only one who has a big smile on his face that after dozens of sites with whining about the ending, all it takes to show us again how great the game really is, is Torte de Linis LR of a sorta clumsy playthrough.

Up until the end ME3 is really one of the best and emotional storytelling games in recent history


Haha, clumsy. I resent that, but it's so ture T_T
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
July 02 2012 17:15 GMT
#3492
Oh, I forgot to mention that I got to meet the senior designer of the game a few weeks ago before I had even started playing.
Sadly, I didn't know he was the senior designer and I stepped in poop on the way to the place we met (we had a mutual friend/game designer for Ubisoft), so I looked like a smelly loser.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
July 02 2012 17:21 GMT
#3493
On July 03 2012 02:15 Torte de Lini wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention that I got to meet the senior designer of the game a few weeks ago before I had even started playing.
Sadly, I didn't know he was the senior designer and I stepped in poop on the way to the place we met (we had a mutual friend/game designer for Ubisoft), so I looked like a smelly loser.



I'm forever picturing you in my head this way.
moo...for DRG
CobaltBlu
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States919 Posts
July 02 2012 19:36 GMT
#3494
The extended cut improves on the endings as they were but I don't think it makes the endings 'good' in anyway, just more acceptable. The problems I have with the conclusion story remain and plot holes were just swept aside (Mass Relays aren't really broken, stuff with the Normandy etc.).

I still really think it was just a bad bit of writing with the whole sudden importance of AI vs organic conflict, Starchild and Crucible being introduced in the last moment but I think I would have been less upset about the endings if the extended cut content had originally been part of the game if that makes sense.
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
July 02 2012 21:08 GMT
#3495
On July 02 2012 22:05 LunArMerlin wrote:
Am I the only one who has a big smile on his face that after dozens of sites with whining about the ending, all it takes to show us again how great the game really is, is Torte de Linis LR of a sorta clumsy playthrough.

Up until the end ME3 is really one of the best and emotional storytelling games in recent history

No, it's absolutely true. All three games up until ME3's ending are absolutely phenomenal, and are up there as three of my favorite games of all time. It's just unfortunate that Bioware fucked up the ME3 ending so badly that it causes people to forget how good the rest of the game is.
Hello
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
July 02 2012 21:59 GMT
#3496
Honestly there wasnt a need to cram everything into 3 games.

The first game set an incredible tone and invented a really cool universe.

The second game, while still very well written, had a plot that was kind of inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

The third game crammed an entire galactic war into one single story arc. I would have preferred more games, or one longer game.
twitch.tv/medrea
brachester
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia1786 Posts
July 02 2012 22:57 GMT
#3497
On July 03 2012 06:59 Medrea wrote:
Honestly there wasnt a need to cram everything into 3 games.

The first game set an incredible tone and invented a really cool universe.

The second game, while still very well written, had a plot that was kind of inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

The third game crammed an entire galactic war into one single story arc. I would have preferred more games, or one longer game.

The first was the best. the second was kinda meh (still good), nothing really happened except the collectors part. Most of the time you fly around recruit members. The third game, there's nothing special in term of story, but the atmosphere was good (excluding the ending ofc). I wish they maintain the quality of the first one through out the series, but as a whole, the 3 games were a exceptional.
I hate all this singing
HeeroFX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2704 Posts
July 03 2012 03:02 GMT
#3498
On July 03 2012 06:59 Medrea wrote:
Honestly there wasnt a need to cram everything into 3 games.

The first game set an incredible tone and invented a really cool universe.

The second game, while still very well written, had a plot that was kind of inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

The third game crammed an entire galactic war into one single story arc. I would have preferred more games, or one longer game.


I feel like EA had some input on ME 3, and put pressure on bioware to get it out. The thing about ME 2 was it was an awesome game and I liked it a lot, but I felt like it was a game where I recruited a team of super warriors, and then fought the collectors. I wanted more time with them. ME 3, was really good, I liked how it seemed like everyone had something new to say after a mission. I liked that fact a lot. I do think the 3rd game was a little short with how massive this war was. I honestly feel it deserves a second game(had ME 3 been written to work that way mind it, right now I don't know if it could) Either way I guess ME 4???
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
July 03 2012 11:10 GMT
#3499
Well they came right out and said since the first game it would be a trilogy.
twitch.tv/medrea
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-03 11:42:13
July 03 2012 11:39 GMT
#3500
On July 03 2012 07:57 brachester wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2012 06:59 Medrea wrote:
Honestly there wasnt a need to cram everything into 3 games.

The first game set an incredible tone and invented a really cool universe.

The second game, while still very well written, had a plot that was kind of inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

The third game crammed an entire galactic war into one single story arc. I would have preferred more games, or one longer game.

The first was the best. the second was kinda meh (still good), nothing really happened except the collectors part. Most of the time you fly around recruit members. The third game, there's nothing special in term of story, but the atmosphere was good (excluding the ending ofc). I wish they maintain the quality of the first one through out the series, but as a whole, the 3 games were a exceptional.


Oddly, I found the first game to be easily the worst (I even found it mediocre back then).

First, it seemed as if the developers were struggling to decide whether they want a KoTOR 3 or a third-person shooter - the RPG and shooter mechanics mixed really badly, and the latter part was very unresponsive and clunky. Secondly, the story in the first one reeked of a generic space opera. where you were kinda flying around the galaxy in your own ship with a crew of fancy looking (yet stereotypical) aliens. Overall it gave me one of those high production value but no soul impressions.

Mass Effect 2 was a lot better executed, it's the part where I really got into the series, admittedly more because it played better than the first and the combat was fun(ish) than the quality of the story (although the story and characters had a lot more depth in this one). ME3 was IMO exceptional on all levels, from the smoothness of gameplay and controls, to the maturity and grittiness/darkness of the story and its conclusion (especially with the Refusal ending).
Prev 1 173 174 175 176 177 179 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM708
TKL 312
TaKeTV 261
IndyStarCraft 177
BRAT_OK 137
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 708
TKL 312
IndyStarCraft 177
ProTech144
BRAT_OK 137
MaxPax 93
UpATreeSC 80
Rex 63
MindelVK 19
EmSc Tv 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 937
EffOrt 592
Mini 534
ggaemo 178
firebathero 167
Barracks 59
910 56
Hyun 48
Shine 42
Shinee 40
[ Show more ]
Killer 31
Bale 28
Sea.KH 25
ToSsGirL 20
Trap 19
soO 17
yabsab 11
White-Ra 11
Dota 2
qojqva4296
Counter-Strike
Fnx 707
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3840
crisheroes1455
Liquid`Hasu1090
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2670
singsing1494
B2W.Neo1016
ceh9588
Beastyqt480
ArmadaUGS173
C9.Mang0127
Dewaltoss94
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream459
Other Games
BasetradeTV187
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 11
EmSc2Tv 11
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile115
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2247
• TFBlade920
Other Games
• Shiphtur247
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 26m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.