• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:39
CEST 10:39
KST 17:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12058 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 61

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 665 Next
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
September 19 2011 14:52 GMT
#1201
yeaaa that 5 mana counterspell is kinda iffy in limited. i think the best deck would probably be a very aggro deck. you want to be ahead on board and then leave it up. other wise a good player will be like "really? you have 5 cards in hand and are leaving up 5 mana? guess i wont play spells and just beat on you abit."

personally im actually fairly excited to see how this set pans out in limited. seems like there will be alot of synergies to discover.

its definitely a downgrade in power level, but i think thats good. power level of shards and zen was abit too ridiculous.
Jaksiel
Profile Joined November 2008
United States4130 Posts
September 19 2011 14:55 GMT
#1202
I bombed out of GP Montreal pretty hard, so my extremely outside chance of getting to Worlds on Pro Points is now over. I would have needed a first or second place finish, so that's not too surprising. I'm down to making day 2 in 4 out of 6 limited GPs. Both of my misses (Montreal and GP Boston '09) were in Core Set limited. Damn Core Sets.

I don't really have the time or inclination to grind out PWP this qualifier season, so it will be back to the same old same old for me: gotta win a PTQ to qualify for Honolulu. I'm always confident going into limited events, though, so I like my chances.
Zero fighting.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 19 2011 14:59 GMT
#1203
So looking that full spoiler...WB Puresteel?
Get it by your hands...
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 15:03:07
September 19 2011 15:02 GMT
#1204
On September 19 2011 23:55 Jaksiel wrote:
I bombed out of GP Montreal pretty hard, so my extremely outside chance of getting to Worlds on Pro Points is now over. I would have needed a first or second place finish, so that's not too surprising. I'm down to making day 2 in 4 out of 6 limited GPs. Both of my misses (Montreal and GP Boston '09) were in Core Set limited. Damn Core Sets.

I don't really have the time or inclination to grind out PWP this qualifier season, so it will be back to the same old same old for me: gotta win a PTQ to qualify for Honolulu. I'm always confident going into limited events, though, so I like my chances.


how have sealed ptqs been in your experience? it seems really frustrating because if you get a mediocre pool you really have to grind out with good play to get to the top. only to be faced with a bunch of X-0/X-1 decks with like 5 bomb rares.

*edit Judicator
I havent heavily examined the spoiler too much. what makes you want to go black?
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
September 19 2011 15:15 GMT
#1205
The extra draw spell, High Priest and maybe a better sideboard.
Get it by your hands...
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
September 19 2011 15:18 GMT
#1206
meh. i guess its worth testing. it would be super sweet if your mana was good enough to run liliana.
Jaksiel
Profile Joined November 2008
United States4130 Posts
September 19 2011 15:21 GMT
#1207
On September 20 2011 00:02 Orpheos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2011 23:55 Jaksiel wrote:
I bombed out of GP Montreal pretty hard, so my extremely outside chance of getting to Worlds on Pro Points is now over. I would have needed a first or second place finish, so that's not too surprising. I'm down to making day 2 in 4 out of 6 limited GPs. Both of my misses (Montreal and GP Boston '09) were in Core Set limited. Damn Core Sets.

I don't really have the time or inclination to grind out PWP this qualifier season, so it will be back to the same old same old for me: gotta win a PTQ to qualify for Honolulu. I'm always confident going into limited events, though, so I like my chances.


how have sealed ptqs been in your experience? it seems really frustrating because if you get a mediocre pool you really have to grind out with good play to get to the top. only to be faced with a bunch of X-0/X-1 decks with like 5 bomb rares.


Of course there's always an element of luck in sealed (and MTG in general), but people vastly underrate the amount of skill in sealed tournaments. They can be prepared for just like any other, and people with more preparation will generally do better. Building a sealed deck is a different skill from drafting, and it tends to get overlooked because drafting is more fun. In my experience in New England PTQs, the better players tend to rise to the top regardless of their sealed pool quality.
Zero fighting.
Iwan
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany3 Posts
September 19 2011 15:35 GMT
#1208
Hello,

I was recently watching a few Magic The Gathering Online Drafts on youtube and was wondering how expensive it would be to play a few drafts from time to time on MTGO.

I've played in a few tournaments back in 2002-2006 so I am quite familiar with the rules and stuff, but I don't know much about Magic Online so I would love to know what options I do have and what I have to watch out for when I am trying to play MTGO for the first time.

E.g. how much does a standard M12 draft cost to play on MTGO? What can I do with the cards I keep after a draft?
Jopz
Profile Joined January 2008
United States262 Posts
September 19 2011 15:54 GMT
#1209
On September 20 2011 00:35 Iwan wrote:
Hello,

I was recently watching a few Magic The Gathering Online Drafts on youtube and was wondering how expensive it would be to play a few drafts from time to time on MTGO.

I've played in a few tournaments back in 2002-2006 so I am quite familiar with the rules and stuff, but I don't know much about Magic Online so I would love to know what options I do have and what I have to watch out for when I am trying to play MTGO for the first time.

E.g. how much does a standard M12 draft cost to play on MTGO? What can I do with the cards I keep after a draft?


MTGO drafts are paid for by booster packs or event tickets, or a combination thereof. If you do well in a draft, you get boosters as prizes, and you get to keep your drafted cards which you can then trade for tickets.

Therefore, if you're good, you can theoretically draft forever by paying only your initial outlay for your first booster packs and tickets

Packs are like ~$3 and tickets are $1 a piece; to join an 8 player draft you need 3 boosters and 2 tickets, so you're looking at ~$14 for your first draft).

Iwan
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany3 Posts
September 19 2011 16:00 GMT
#1210
On September 20 2011 00:54 Jopz wrote:

MTGO drafts are paid for by booster packs or event tickets, or a combination thereof. If you do well in a draft, you get boosters as prizes, and you get to keep your drafted cards which you can then trade for tickets.

Therefore, if you're good, you can theoretically draft forever by paying only your initial outlay for your first booster packs and tickets

Packs are like ~$3 and tickets are $1 a piece; to join an 8 player draft you need 3 boosters and 2 tickets, so you're looking at ~$14 for your first draft).



This sounds quite cool. Is there a list for how much tickets the cards are worth or something like that?
Can I keep the cards I drafted from the boosters or will the cards be picked at the end of the draft one after another with the winning player starting to pick a card?
Jopz
Profile Joined January 2008
United States262 Posts
September 19 2011 16:12 GMT
#1211
On September 20 2011 01:00 Iwan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 00:54 Jopz wrote:

MTGO drafts are paid for by booster packs or event tickets, or a combination thereof. If you do well in a draft, you get boosters as prizes, and you get to keep your drafted cards which you can then trade for tickets.

Therefore, if you're good, you can theoretically draft forever by paying only your initial outlay for your first booster packs and tickets

Packs are like ~$3 and tickets are $1 a piece; to join an 8 player draft you need 3 boosters and 2 tickets, so you're looking at ~$14 for your first draft).



This sounds quite cool. Is there a list for how much tickets the cards are worth or something like that?
Can I keep the cards I drafted from the boosters or will the cards be picked at the end of the draft one after another with the winning player starting to pick a card?


See bolded part in my post for your second question =).

For your first question, I just do a quick scan of card prices in the classifieds section of MTGO when I want to sell something. There are a bunch of trading bots there and I just get prices from some 2 or 3 of them to form a benchmark price and usually just put up a listing in the classifieds with a slightly lower price.
GogoKodo
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Canada1785 Posts
September 19 2011 16:14 GMT
#1212
On September 20 2011 01:00 Iwan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 00:54 Jopz wrote:

MTGO drafts are paid for by booster packs or event tickets, or a combination thereof. If you do well in a draft, you get boosters as prizes, and you get to keep your drafted cards which you can then trade for tickets.

Therefore, if you're good, you can theoretically draft forever by paying only your initial outlay for your first booster packs and tickets

Packs are like ~$3 and tickets are $1 a piece; to join an 8 player draft you need 3 boosters and 2 tickets, so you're looking at ~$14 for your first draft).



This sounds quite cool. Is there a list for how much tickets the cards are worth or something like that?
Can I keep the cards I drafted from the boosters or will the cards be picked at the end of the draft one after another with the winning player starting to pick a card?

You keep what you picked during the draft portion.
twitter: @terrancem
Iwan
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany3 Posts
September 19 2011 16:17 GMT
#1213
On September 20 2011 01:12 Jopz wrote:

For your first question, I just do a quick scan of card prices in the classifieds section of MTGO when I want to sell something. There are a bunch of trading bots there and I just get prices from some 2 or 3 of them to form a benchmark price and usually just put up a listing in the classifieds with a slightly lower price.


Okay thanks for the information. I don't want to spend to much money on online Magic cards so I am quite happy to see this working with bots buying cards and stuff.
Kralic
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2628 Posts
September 19 2011 16:22 GMT
#1214
www.cardhoarder.com I found is pretty accurate on prices. Usually subtract a few tickets from their selling price to get the price bots will buy from you.
Brood War forever!
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 19 2011 17:11 GMT
#1215
Disappointing there is no good 1 cmc black discard spell. It's going to be weird playing black without inquisition.

Also, when drafting online, never buy packs from the store. Just buy tickets. 99% of the time, you can buy the current set packs for less than 4 tickets.
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
September 19 2011 17:24 GMT
#1216
On September 20 2011 02:11 DEN1ED wrote:
Disappointing there is no good 1 cmc black discard spell. It's going to be weird playing black without inquisition.

Also, when drafting online, never buy packs from the store. Just buy tickets. 99% of the time, you can buy the current set packs for less than 4 tickets.


in earnest inquisition was really too powerful. it was fine becasue the format in general was super powered but inquisition was super ridiculous.
despise seems like a good foil to duress but im surprised they let duress rotate out. i think its a nice tension of which one you use.
they cant always have a thoughtseize in the format =P
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 19 2011 17:42 GMT
#1217
It was really one of the only reasons to play black though. Black really doesn't offer anything unique now.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 19 2011 17:53 GMT
#1218
On September 20 2011 02:42 DEN1ED wrote:
It was really one of the only reasons to play black though. Black really doesn't offer anything unique now.


I don't think Inquisition was "unique." There are tons of spells and creatures with abilities like that, almost all in Black. Inquisition is gone and Black is weaker for it but there's still Despise, Distress, Entomber Exarch...Are they competitive? Well, definitely not as competitive as Inquisition of Kozilek but they're functionally similar.

Inquisition+Snapcaster would have been DUUUUMMBBB
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 19 2011 18:10 GMT
#1219
Yes, it was unique. It could hit creatures and spells for the cost of 1. Nothing else in the format can do that. It's main use was removing their 2 drop before they could play it. Distress can only do that on the play and despise is much more hit and miss. And snapcaster plus any spell is going to be dumb. Snapcaster is insanely powerful.
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 18:14:41
September 19 2011 18:14 GMT
#1220
edit double post.
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 871
Hyuk 532
soO 429
Mini 191
ZerO 121
Killer 59
Shinee 50
Mind 41
Mong 28
Bale 27
[ Show more ]
PianO 24
ZergMaN 13
HiyA 12
Terrorterran 11
yabsab 10
Dota 2
XaKoH 796
XcaliburYe335
League of Legends
JimRising 447
Counter-Strike
byalli523
Other Games
olofmeister827
ceh9633
Happy339
crisheroes188
Livibee180
Mew2King63
ArmadaUGS59
ZerO(Twitch)8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick584
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH384
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2278
League of Legends
• Jankos1365
• Rush1205
• Stunt411
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 21m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
2h 21m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 21m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.