• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:19
CEST 00:19
KST 07:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)16Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9012 users

New Pokemon Games: Black & White - Page 70

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 68 69 70 71 72 96 Next
Asshat
Profile Joined September 2010
593 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 00:38:46
March 24 2011 00:33 GMT
#1381
On March 24 2011 09:22 Ferrose wrote:
The only thing that ever kills my Skarmory is surprise Fire attacks. And the occasional Electric attack. I'm really liking this CB Scizor. And with Porygon2's Magic Coat for SR, and some Spikes from Skarm, battles are kinda easy.

Why do people even use Volcarona? Every time I face one it just gets neutered by SR. It starts at 50%, then it's usually KO'd after a Quiver Dance.


Volcarona is fast, hits hard, has great offensive typing, bulky on the special side and has one of the best setup moves in the game. It does have some pretty big weaknesses that can't be ignored (4x weak to rock, weak movepool outside of STAB) but it has its place, as long as you get a rapid spinner for support.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
March 24 2011 00:36 GMT
#1382
On March 24 2011 09:32 infinitestory wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:32 Ferrose wrote:
Maybe I could switch Zapdos out for Heatran...Hmm.

What's your team so far? In my own experience, I'm finding that Heatran does me no good but Zapdos is the perfect glue.


+ Show Spoiler [My team] +
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge


I just went up against a Hail team, and lost because Garchomp's Stone Edge missed on Froslass, then I got OHKOed by Blizzard. GG ;_;
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 00:45:38
March 24 2011 00:42 GMT
#1383
On March 24 2011 09:36 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:32 infinitestory wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:32 Ferrose wrote:
Maybe I could switch Zapdos out for Heatran...Hmm.

What's your team so far? In my own experience, I'm finding that Heatran does me no good but Zapdos is the perfect glue.


+ Show Spoiler [My team] +
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge


I just went up against a Hail team, and lost because Garchomp's Stone Edge missed on Froslass, then I got OHKOed by Blizzard. GG ;_;


Actually not bad. Far different play style than I because I'm not a fan of Stalling but not bad. Personally I believe your team lacks a special attacker. Life Orb 252 SpA/252 Spe Starmie can still run Rapid Spin but in the process rape shit as well. If you do go that route I'd highly recommend running Hydro Pump over Surf. Yea it's got bad accuracy compared to most things but Hydro Pump secures MANY OHKO's and 2HKO's where surf wouldn't do that.

Rotom can't spin block a Hydro Pump starmie for instance.

Do remember though that if you go to tournaments you generally can only use 1 item of a type per Team so that triple left over stuff...ehh.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
March 24 2011 00:44 GMT
#1384
On March 24 2011 09:36 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:32 infinitestory wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:32 Ferrose wrote:
Maybe I could switch Zapdos out for Heatran...Hmm.

What's your team so far? In my own experience, I'm finding that Heatran does me no good but Zapdos is the perfect glue.


+ Show Spoiler [My team] +
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge


I just went up against a Hail team, and lost because Garchomp's Stone Edge missed on Froslass, then I got OHKOed by Blizzard. GG ;_;


1) Ditch one of Starmie's attacks for Recover. You've built bulkyish, and Starmie can only abuse that with Recover. You might want to consider moving the Speed EVs to SpDef. Alternatively, change the HP EVs to SpAtk and keep your current set.

2) You can get a lot of walling mileage out of Zapdos if you swap its ability to Lightningrod, which nullifies electric attacks and gives you +1 SpA to boot. You'll have to ditch Heat Wave if you take this option. My personal set is Roost / Substitute / Discharge / HP Ice

3) Garchomp gains next to nothing from having Stone Edge. Fire Fang or Fire Blast tends to be a better option, to combat Bronzong, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory.

4) You don't have a Taunter. This isn't required; my team doesn't have one either, and it does fine.

5) You don't have a setup pokemon. Try to find somewhere to put one in.
Translator:3
sylverfyre
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8298 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 00:54:04
March 24 2011 00:49 GMT
#1385
On March 24 2011 06:34 Ferrose wrote:
Should I replace Brick Break with Pursuit on my Scizor? Then I'd have no Fighting moves :x

God, building my team is so stressful. I want to be able to counter everything but it's impossible >.<

That's what I'd do... not having pursuit on a team feels really awkward to me, but no fighting across the whole team... also awkward.

What are people using for their Battle Tower Subway setup? I'm having a lot of indecision atm, and need a buttload of BP, so I want to set up something that doesn't randomly faceplant vs AI-controlled powerhouses like Slaking or something.

Idea so far:


Suicune
Relaxed, Leftovers, max Def and split HP/SpA EVs (252/128/128ish)
Scald
Ice Beam (1)
Rest
Sleep Talk (2)

Weavile (3)
Adamant, Expert Belt? max Atk and Speed
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Brick Break
Swords Dance

Hydregion
Timid?, Dragon Claw, Max SPA and speed
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Thunder Wave
(4)




(1) Ice beam - OK Coverage. In PVP this would be roar, but the AI isn't going to switch in a water-resistant pokemon during rest and start setting up a sweep. Ice covers Dragons and Grass, but doesn't do much about other water pokemon.

(2)Could switch to a calm mind set, but I'm hesitant because once I lose sleep talk, I can't get it back, and the EVs are assuming resttalk (gen4 TM)

(3)If I'm gonna replace a pokemon entirely, it's this one. On the other hand, it's a pretty solid sweeper, if a bit frail (unlikely to ever have a chance to use swords dance when I actually need it) and doesn't have very powerful moves to work with, but I already have it trained.

(4) Not sure what to put in the 4th move here. This set is given trouble by Heatran and that's about it.
Dark Pulse only really adds some super effective STAB power against types that Draco Meteor can already obliterate (and at 80 power vs 140, Meteor is actually doing more damage. Ideas:
Tri Attack - status nonsense, but I'll probably rarely use it
Dragon Pulse - STAB power without the -2 SPA, but when you're only killing 3 pokemon and not 6, that's not that much of a problem - the second draco meteor is only slightly weaker than a dragon pulse in the first place.
Focus Blast - Inaccurate, but could use it to murder steels that Flamethrower doesn't kill, particularly since Weavile can't exactly switch IN to heatran. Are there any other steels I actually have to worry about?

Oh, and I'd probably lead with Weavile.

Note that items are all ghetto items, since the whole point of this is to GET choice band/scarf/specs in Black/White.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
March 24 2011 00:49 GMT
#1386
On March 24 2011 09:44 infinitestory wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:36 Ferrose wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:32 infinitestory wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:32 Ferrose wrote:
Maybe I could switch Zapdos out for Heatran...Hmm.

What's your team so far? In my own experience, I'm finding that Heatran does me no good but Zapdos is the perfect glue.


+ Show Spoiler [My team] +
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge


I just went up against a Hail team, and lost because Garchomp's Stone Edge missed on Froslass, then I got OHKOed by Blizzard. GG ;_;


1) Ditch one of Starmie's attacks for Recover. You've built bulkyish, and Starmie can only abuse that with Recover. You might want to consider moving the Speed EVs to SpDef. Alternatively, change the HP EVs to SpAtk and keep your current set.

2) You can get a lot of walling mileage out of Zapdos if you swap its ability to Lightningrod, which nullifies electric attacks and gives you +1 SpA to boot. You'll have to ditch Heat Wave if you take this option. My personal set is Roost / Substitute / Discharge / HP Ice

3) Garchomp gains next to nothing from having Stone Edge. Fire Fang or Fire Blast tends to be a better option, to combat Bronzong, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory.

4) You don't have a Taunter. This isn't required; my team doesn't have one either, and it does fine.

5) You don't have a setup pokemon. Try to find somewhere to put one in.


1. I had Recover, but replaced it with Ice Beam to help with those damn Gliscors.

2. Yeah, I'm using Pressure so I can have Heat Wave. It really helps with those Ferrothorns, but I guess I wouldn't mind changing it to HP Ice if I gave Fire Fang to Garchomp.

3. See 2

4. I don't know which of my Pokes would be good Taunters D:

5. By setup do you mean a Pokemon that uses Swords Dance or something? That was Scizor. I'll try to find something. :x
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
March 24 2011 00:50 GMT
#1387
On March 24 2011 09:44 infinitestory wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:36 Ferrose wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:32 infinitestory wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:32 Ferrose wrote:
Maybe I could switch Zapdos out for Heatran...Hmm.

What's your team so far? In my own experience, I'm finding that Heatran does me no good but Zapdos is the perfect glue.


+ Show Spoiler [My team] +
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge


I just went up against a Hail team, and lost because Garchomp's Stone Edge missed on Froslass, then I got OHKOed by Blizzard. GG ;_;


1) Ditch one of Starmie's attacks for Recover. You've built bulkyish, and Starmie can only abuse that with Recover. You might want to consider moving the Speed EVs to SpDef. Alternatively, change the HP EVs to SpAtk and keep your current set.

2) You can get a lot of walling mileage out of Zapdos if you swap its ability to Lightningrod, which nullifies electric attacks and gives you +1 SpA to boot. You'll have to ditch Heat Wave if you take this option. My personal set is Roost / Substitute / Discharge / HP Ice

3) Garchomp gains next to nothing from having Stone Edge. Fire Fang or Fire Blast tends to be a better option, to combat Bronzong, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory.

4) You don't have a Taunter. This isn't required; my team doesn't have one either, and it does fine.

5) You don't have a setup pokemon. Try to find somewhere to put one in.


Do you run Discharge on Zapdos over TBolt for the Paralyze support? Just curious on this.

As for the Fire Fang/Fire Blast on Garchomp I think that's more of a personal preference. When Garchomp was Ubers Stone Edge was very worth it to deal with the plethora of flying types there...specifically that asshole physical wall named Lugia. The addition of Ferrotorn may make Fire a better option though... I hadn't thought of that.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
March 24 2011 00:54 GMT
#1388
On March 24 2011 09:49 sylverfyre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 06:34 Ferrose wrote:
Should I replace Brick Break with Pursuit on my Scizor? Then I'd have no Fighting moves :x

God, building my team is so stressful. I want to be able to counter everything but it's impossible >.<

That's what I'd do... not having pursuit on a team feels really awkward to me, but no fighting across the whole team... also awkward.

What are people using for their Battle Tower Subway setup? I'm having a lot of indecision atm, and need a buttload of BP, so I want to set up something that doesn't randomly faceplant vs AI-controlled powerhouses like Slaking or something.

Idea so far:


Suicune
Relaxed, Leftovers, max Def and split HP/SpA EVs (252/128/128ish)
Scald
Ice Beam (1)
Rest
Sleep Talk (2)

Weavile (3)
Adamant, Expert Belt? max Atk and Speed
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Brick Break
Swords Dance

Hydregion
Timid?, Dragon Claw, Max SPA and speed
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Thunder Wave
(4)




(1) Ice beam - OK Coverage. In PVP this would be roar, but the AI isn't going to switch in a water-resistant pokemon during rest and start setting up a sweep. Ice covers Dragons and Grass, but doesn't do much about other water pokemon.

(2)Could switch to a calm mind set, but I'm hesitant because once I lose sleep talk, I can't get it back, and the EVs are assuming resttalk (gen4 TM)

(3)If I'm gonna replace a pokemon entirely, it's this one. On the other hand, it's a pretty solid sweeper, if a bit frail (unlikely to ever have a chance to use swords dance when I actually need it) and doesn't have very powerful moves to work with, but I already have it trained.

(4) Not sure what to put in the 4th move here. This set is given trouble by Heatran and that's about it.
Dark Pulse only really adds some super effective STAB power against types that Draco Meteor can already obliterate (and at 80 power vs 140, Meteor is actually doing more damage. Ideas:
Tri Attack - status nonsense, but I'll probably rarely use it
Dragon Pulse - STAB power without the -2 SPA, but when you're only killing 3 pokemon and not 6, that's not that much of a problem - the second draco meteor is only slightly weaker than a dragon pulse in the first place.
Focus Blast - Inaccurate, but could use it to murder steels that Flamethrower doesn't kill, particularly since Weavile can't exactly switch IN to heatran. Are there any other steels I actually have to worry about?

Order, I'd probably lead with Weavile.


Use Focus Blast. Yea it misses often but when it hits it hits really really hard, especially on a Hydregion.

I actually ran a Heatran/Zapdos/Metagross setup that pretty much covered EVERYTHING. Metagross with Brickbreak >>>> stupid random Slaking powerhouses.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 00:58:01
March 24 2011 00:57 GMT
#1389
On March 24 2011 09:49 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:44 infinitestory wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:36 Ferrose wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:32 infinitestory wrote:
On March 24 2011 09:32 Ferrose wrote:
Maybe I could switch Zapdos out for Heatran...Hmm.

What's your team so far? In my own experience, I'm finding that Heatran does me no good but Zapdos is the perfect glue.


+ Show Spoiler [My team] +
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge


I just went up against a Hail team, and lost because Garchomp's Stone Edge missed on Froslass, then I got OHKOed by Blizzard. GG ;_;


1) Ditch one of Starmie's attacks for Recover. You've built bulkyish, and Starmie can only abuse that with Recover. You might want to consider moving the Speed EVs to SpDef. Alternatively, change the HP EVs to SpAtk and keep your current set.

2) You can get a lot of walling mileage out of Zapdos if you swap its ability to Lightningrod, which nullifies electric attacks and gives you +1 SpA to boot. You'll have to ditch Heat Wave if you take this option. My personal set is Roost / Substitute / Discharge / HP Ice

3) Garchomp gains next to nothing from having Stone Edge. Fire Fang or Fire Blast tends to be a better option, to combat Bronzong, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory.

4) You don't have a Taunter. This isn't required; my team doesn't have one either, and it does fine.

5) You don't have a setup pokemon. Try to find somewhere to put one in.


1. I had Recover, but replaced it with Ice Beam to help with those damn Gliscors.

2. Yeah, I'm using Pressure so I can have Heat Wave. It really helps with those Ferrothorns, but I guess I wouldn't mind changing it to HP Ice if I gave Fire Fang to Garchomp.

3. See 2

4. I don't know which of my Pokes would be good Taunters D:

5. By setup do you mean a Pokemon that uses Swords Dance or something? That was Scizor. I'll try to find something. :x


Putting Recover on Starmie, HP Ice on Zapdos, and Fire Fang/Blast on Garchomp keeps everything covered - you'll just have a different go-to pokemon. Zapdos does very well against current Gliscors, which don't run Stone Edge or Ice Fang as often.

I once ran a Spanish Inquisition Taunt Skarmory, basically the standard set with Taunt instead of Brave Bird. You wouldn't believe how many slow pokemon came in to try and set up on me. I'm not saying try this, but Taunt is a pretty versatile move.

The reason I like having at least one setup pokemon is so I can take advantage of an incapacitated enemy pokemon (low HP or statused). I'm a serious opportunist.


On March 24 2011 09:50 Jayme wrote:
Do you run Discharge on Zapdos over TBolt for the Paralyze support? Just curious on this.

yes
Translator:3
sylverfyre
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8298 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 01:02:39
March 24 2011 00:59 GMT
#1390
On March 24 2011 09:54 Jayme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:49 sylverfyre wrote:
On March 24 2011 06:34 Ferrose wrote:
Should I replace Brick Break with Pursuit on my Scizor? Then I'd have no Fighting moves :x

God, building my team is so stressful. I want to be able to counter everything but it's impossible >.<

That's what I'd do... not having pursuit on a team feels really awkward to me, but no fighting across the whole team... also awkward.

What are people using for their Battle Tower Subway setup? I'm having a lot of indecision atm, and need a buttload of BP, so I want to set up something that doesn't randomly faceplant vs AI-controlled powerhouses like Slaking or something.

Idea so far:


Suicune
Relaxed, Leftovers, max Def and split HP/SpA EVs (252/128/128ish)
Scald
Ice Beam (1)
Rest
Sleep Talk (2)

Weavile (3)
Adamant, Expert Belt? max Atk and Speed
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Brick Break
Swords Dance

Hydregion
Timid?, Dragon Claw, Max SPA and speed
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Thunder Wave
(4)




(1) Ice beam - OK Coverage. In PVP this would be roar, but the AI isn't going to switch in a water-resistant pokemon during rest and start setting up a sweep. Ice covers Dragons and Grass, but doesn't do much about other water pokemon.

(2)Could switch to a calm mind set, but I'm hesitant because once I lose sleep talk, I can't get it back, and the EVs are assuming resttalk (gen4 TM)

(3)If I'm gonna replace a pokemon entirely, it's this one. On the other hand, it's a pretty solid sweeper, if a bit frail (unlikely to ever have a chance to use swords dance when I actually need it) and doesn't have very powerful moves to work with, but I already have it trained.

(4) Not sure what to put in the 4th move here. This set is given trouble by Heatran and that's about it.
Dark Pulse only really adds some super effective STAB power against types that Draco Meteor can already obliterate (and at 80 power vs 140, Meteor is actually doing more damage. Ideas:
Tri Attack - status nonsense, but I'll probably rarely use it
Dragon Pulse - STAB power without the -2 SPA, but when you're only killing 3 pokemon and not 6, that's not that much of a problem - the second draco meteor is only slightly weaker than a dragon pulse in the first place.
Focus Blast - Inaccurate, but could use it to murder steels that Flamethrower doesn't kill, particularly since Weavile can't exactly switch IN to heatran. Are there any other steels I actually have to worry about?

Order, I'd probably lead with Weavile.


Use Focus Blast. Yea it misses often but when it hits it hits really really hard, especially on a Hydregion.

I actually ran a Heatran/Zapdos/Metagross setup that pretty much covered EVERYTHING. Metagross with Brickbreak >>>> stupid random Slaking powerhouses.

Yeah, the more thought I put into it, the more I lean towards Focus Blast.
Fuck Slaking in the Battle Subway. I'll have some random first two, lose a poke to my own stupidity, then slaking shows up and I'm like fuuuuuuuu *tries to kill it and fails*
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
March 24 2011 01:01 GMT
#1391
i am never trusting Focus Miss again in my life
it gives me enough grief in competitive, and I suspect it will be even more of a liability in in-game battle challenges
Translator:3
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
March 24 2011 01:07 GMT
#1392
All right, I gave Starmie Recover, Calm Nature, and put the Speed EVs in Special Defense. I made the recommended changes to Zapdos and Garchomp.

I'll try the Taunt Skarm, but I'm iffy about using a Poke with no damage dealing moves.

Is the fact that Zapdos' T-Wave is my only status move a weak point at all?

Honestly, I don't think I can work a setup Poke in my team without changing some Pokes around

But thank you so much for your help guys. I appreciate it
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
March 24 2011 01:16 GMT
#1393
On March 24 2011 10:01 infinitestory wrote:
i am never trusting Focus Miss again in my life
it gives me enough grief in competitive, and I suspect it will be even more of a liability in in-game battle challenges


See the funny thing is people always remember the time it missed and they lost the fight because of it.

It's saved my life equally as often if not more so. A special based Fighting move is just beyond invaluable and Focus Blast is the only easily accessible one. I'd prefer Aura Sphere obviously but so few Pokemon learn it that I make do with Focus Blast.

I have raged at it though, god damn the big misses always stick with me longer than the times it's saved my ass >.>
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
March 24 2011 01:17 GMT
#1394
On March 24 2011 10:16 Jayme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 10:01 infinitestory wrote:
i am never trusting Focus Miss again in my life
it gives me enough grief in competitive, and I suspect it will be even more of a liability in in-game battle challenges


See the funny thing is people always remember the time it missed and they lost the fight because of it.

It's saved my life equally as often if not more so. A special based Fighting move is just beyond invaluable and Focus Blast is the only easily accessible one. I'd prefer Aura Sphere obviously but so few Pokemon learn it that I make do with Focus Blast.

I have raged at it though, god damn the big misses always stick with me longer than the times it's saved my ass >.>


I've had many similar experiences with Stone Edge. Sometimes it feels like its accuracy is 50%.

I've got nothing against Sand teams. Excadrill with Sand Rush got one SD, and swept all six of my Pokes >.<
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Pvvned
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States409 Posts
March 24 2011 01:20 GMT
#1395
On March 24 2011 10:17 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 10:16 Jayme wrote:
On March 24 2011 10:01 infinitestory wrote:
i am never trusting Focus Miss again in my life
it gives me enough grief in competitive, and I suspect it will be even more of a liability in in-game battle challenges


See the funny thing is people always remember the time it missed and they lost the fight because of it.

It's saved my life equally as often if not more so. A special based Fighting move is just beyond invaluable and Focus Blast is the only easily accessible one. I'd prefer Aura Sphere obviously but so few Pokemon learn it that I make do with Focus Blast.

I have raged at it though, god damn the big misses always stick with me longer than the times it's saved my ass >.>


I've had many similar experiences with Stone Edge. Sometimes it feels like its accuracy is 50%.

I've got nothing against Sand teams. Excadrill with Sand Rush got one SD, and swept all six of my Pokes >.<

Yeah Excadrill is god damn ridiculous in OU, which is why I prefer UU.

OU seems to be centralized around one pokemon far too often for my tastes.
http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/R1CH/Happy2.gif
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 01:26:43
March 24 2011 01:25 GMT
#1396
On March 24 2011 10:17 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 10:16 Jayme wrote:
On March 24 2011 10:01 infinitestory wrote:
i am never trusting Focus Miss again in my life
it gives me enough grief in competitive, and I suspect it will be even more of a liability in in-game battle challenges


See the funny thing is people always remember the time it missed and they lost the fight because of it.

It's saved my life equally as often if not more so. A special based Fighting move is just beyond invaluable and Focus Blast is the only easily accessible one. I'd prefer Aura Sphere obviously but so few Pokemon learn it that I make do with Focus Blast.

I have raged at it though, god damn the big misses always stick with me longer than the times it's saved my ass >.>


I've had many similar experiences with Stone Edge. Sometimes it feels like its accuracy is 50%.

I've got nothing against Sand teams. Excadrill with Sand Rush got one SD, and swept all six of my Pokes >.<


Problem is that Sand Rush sandstorm teams are basically your counter. If you don't have your taunt ready to go you better hope you OHKO that Excadrill because +2 Spd/+2 Atk is really really hard to defeat, especially on a Pokemon with 88 Base Spd and 135 Atk.

You know what's coming when you see Tyranitar/Hippowdon...so get ready to predict the switch yourself and kill Excadrill with Garchomp or Starmie. Excadrill is very flimsy so if you hit it with a Super Effective attack you'll likely kill it.

That being said I agree with the above guy, shit like that is why I stick to UU/NU. My Gardevoir team is viable there.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 01:29:13
March 24 2011 01:27 GMT
#1397
On March 24 2011 10:25 Jayme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 10:17 Ferrose wrote:
On March 24 2011 10:16 Jayme wrote:
On March 24 2011 10:01 infinitestory wrote:
i am never trusting Focus Miss again in my life
it gives me enough grief in competitive, and I suspect it will be even more of a liability in in-game battle challenges


See the funny thing is people always remember the time it missed and they lost the fight because of it.

It's saved my life equally as often if not more so. A special based Fighting move is just beyond invaluable and Focus Blast is the only easily accessible one. I'd prefer Aura Sphere obviously but so few Pokemon learn it that I make do with Focus Blast.

I have raged at it though, god damn the big misses always stick with me longer than the times it's saved my ass >.>


I've had many similar experiences with Stone Edge. Sometimes it feels like its accuracy is 50%.

I've got nothing against Sand teams. Excadrill with Sand Rush got one SD, and swept all six of my Pokes >.<


Problem is that Sand Rush sandstorm teams are basically your counter. If you don't have your taunt ready to go you better hope you OHKO that Excadrill because +2 Spd/+2 Atk is really really hard to defeat.

You know what's coming when you see Tyranitar/Hippowdon...so get ready to predict the switch yourself and kill Excadrill with Garchomp or Starmie. Excadrill is very flimsy so if you hit it with a Super Effective attack you'll likely kill it.


Yeah. With Sand Rush, Excadrill outsped Starmie and OHKO'd it with X-Scissor. It outsped ScarfChomp and OHKO'd it with EQ. All my other Pokes are slow.

Edit: I need to make a UU team >.>
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 01:33:41
March 24 2011 01:31 GMT
#1398
On March 24 2011 10:27 Ferrose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 10:25 Jayme wrote:
On March 24 2011 10:17 Ferrose wrote:
On March 24 2011 10:16 Jayme wrote:
On March 24 2011 10:01 infinitestory wrote:
i am never trusting Focus Miss again in my life
it gives me enough grief in competitive, and I suspect it will be even more of a liability in in-game battle challenges


See the funny thing is people always remember the time it missed and they lost the fight because of it.

It's saved my life equally as often if not more so. A special based Fighting move is just beyond invaluable and Focus Blast is the only easily accessible one. I'd prefer Aura Sphere obviously but so few Pokemon learn it that I make do with Focus Blast.

I have raged at it though, god damn the big misses always stick with me longer than the times it's saved my ass >.>


I've had many similar experiences with Stone Edge. Sometimes it feels like its accuracy is 50%.

I've got nothing against Sand teams. Excadrill with Sand Rush got one SD, and swept all six of my Pokes >.<


Problem is that Sand Rush sandstorm teams are basically your counter. If you don't have your taunt ready to go you better hope you OHKO that Excadrill because +2 Spd/+2 Atk is really really hard to defeat.

You know what's coming when you see Tyranitar/Hippowdon...so get ready to predict the switch yourself and kill Excadrill with Garchomp or Starmie. Excadrill is very flimsy so if you hit it with a Super Effective attack you'll likely kill it.


Yeah. With Sand Rush, Excadrill outsped Starmie and OHKO'd it with X-Scissor. It outsped ScarfChomp and OHKO'd it with EQ. All my other Pokes are slow.


It's only going to OHKO those two when it has an SD up. Gotta kill it before then. People will try to SD with Excadrill in very stupid situations because it's basically an I win button if they get it off. You can abuse this.

You could also Haze/Phaze it but that requires you to use something like Suicune/Vaporeon to fit in with your team, and you'd lose rapid spin. A quick pokemon with Will-O-Wisp will do the trick too.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
March 24 2011 01:39 GMT
#1399
I could switch Starmie for Vaporeon. Getting rid of entry hazards is nice, but they aren't game breaking for my team.

What would be a good Vaporeon set for my team? I'll experiment with it.
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 01:51:27
March 24 2011 01:47 GMT
#1400
On March 24 2011 10:39 Ferrose wrote:
I could switch Starmie for Vaporeon. Getting rid of entry hazards is nice, but they aren't game breaking for my team.

What would be a good Vaporeon set for my team? I'll experiment with it.


Maybe something like

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold
248 HP/252 Def/8SpD

Surf
Protect
Wish
Roar/Haze

Or you can run a Baton Pass Substitute set because of Vaporeon's monsterous HP state, and pass like Acid armor or something because you're running a particularly bulky team anyway as well as huge ass Substitutes.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 Spe

Substitute
Baton Pass
Acid Armor
Surf/Roar

I'm not a good bulky team builder but that may work. Have to experiment with it a bit.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Prev 1 68 69 70 71 72 96 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE136
Nina 130
Nathanias 42
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16150
Artosis 323
White-Ra 316
ToSsGirL 27
Dota 2
monkeys_forever312
NeuroSwarm105
League of Legends
Doublelift3878
Counter-Strike
fl0m1352
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox484
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1893
Liquid`Hasu1330
Trikslyr51
Other Games
summit1g6476
Grubby3387
ArmadaUGS1561
shahzam576
C9.Mang0271
JimRising 228
Mew2King60
ZombieGrub57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV209
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 37
• davetesta26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 43
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1129
• Scarra1031
• Shiphtur223
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 41m
OSC
14h 41m
Stellar Fest
14h 41m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.