• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:16
CEST 07:16
KST 14:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7977 users

Smash Bros. Melee General Discussion - Page 23

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 188 Next
We have created an irc channel (#tl-smash on Quakenet) for people to find others to play with on Dolphin or just to chat about Smash. Feel free to join!
Xevious
Profile Joined February 2011
United States2086 Posts
June 12 2011 05:51 GMT
#441
On June 12 2011 14:29 Parsistamon wrote:
This game is the best, and I love it, but I've never been able to really play at a very high level. My friends and I play all the time at college, but I have trouble incorporating advanced techniques into my play (they aren't even aware of them). How do you guys practice? Do you just lose a lot until you can successfully take advantage of the (basic) advanced techniques? I'd love to continue to improve.

Practice with people better than you, get feedback from them. If that's an option it's easily the best way to improve a lot. Also just practice a lot
ketomai
Profile Joined June 2007
United States2789 Posts
June 12 2011 06:58 GMT
#442
On June 12 2011 14:29 Parsistamon wrote:
This game is the best, and I love it, but I've never been able to really play at a very high level. My friends and I play all the time at college, but I have trouble incorporating advanced techniques into my play (they aren't even aware of them). How do you guys practice? Do you just lose a lot until you can successfully take advantage of the (basic) advanced techniques? I'd love to continue to improve.


Like someone else said, having another even/better player play with you all the time is the best way to improve. Maybe the best way is to introduce them to advanced techniques or find someone else in the area that is decent.

However, if you still want to attend tournaments but can't find good practice partners for the time in between, then practice your technical skill alone might give you an edge in learning. If you have simple l-canceled short hopped aerials down through muscle memory, for example, you won't have to struggle to do it and instead you can think about the follow ups to that like shines/grabs/jabs/WD'ing back/whatever. It's like reading. When you read you don't think about each individual letter because you've done its so many times you can just recognize the word from the shape. Techniques like WD'ing, shffling, shield grab, and others are just the basics that are 'tools' for you to take your game to the next level, and if you don't even have them down enough to be comfortable using it in a match then you need to focus on that first, whether it be raw practice or something different.

Personally I learned technical skill through break the targets (because there used to be an active community who played it and we would compete for world records, etc), however, there were times where I practiced by myself while simulating certain situations in my head, similar to shadow boxing. For example, I thought about a situation: I am on the ledge and my opponent has just smashed and is vulnerable. What's a quick sequence of moves I can execute off the ledge that I can put into muscle memory in case I see an opponent slip up (like smash attack but miss and I'm on the ledge). Then I would practice a quick Falcon knee into L-cancel into chase across the stage or I would practice a ledge hopped aerial into a grab or a ledge hopped aerial into shine into more combos. What about other situations? I'm just shielded an attack and the opponent is behind me, I my opponent is off the stage and is aiming to sweet spot the ledge, or simply my opponent is across the stage, how do I approach him and what little feints can I use while going there?

However, there's a limit as you can only practice stationary things, so it's best to find someone you can improve with/get bashed by. If I recall though, there's a japanese player called brownmario or something who became very good despite only practicing on his own like that and came to tournaments and placed very highly.

Also, against your friends, it's not hard to incorporate advanced techniques. All it means when you say you can't use them is that you're not used to them and haven't practiced them enough. The next time you play your friends just start trying to short hop aerials as your main mode of attack. Then gradually build on that and start wavedashing backwards into a smash when they try to blindly attack you. The trap you should not fall into is just being comfortable doing what you are doing and letting muscle memory (of bad moves) take over all the time. You have to proactively adjust and learn even if they don't show promise at first.
vlaric
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States412 Posts
June 19 2011 02:18 GMT
#443
On June 12 2011 14:29 Parsistamon wrote:
This game is the best, and I love it, but I've never been able to really play at a very high level. My friends and I play all the time at college, but I have trouble incorporating advanced techniques into my play (they aren't even aware of them). How do you guys practice? Do you just lose a lot until you can successfully take advantage of the (basic) advanced techniques? I'd love to continue to improve.


Using advanced techniques just takes a lot of practice. Like all of the people said here, you'll learn to be a better player a lot faster if you play against people better than you, but in my opinion you have to learn how to 'play' first. It's like playing BW; sure, you'll learn a lot about your play and how to improve by practicing against people better than you, but if you try to do that without even knowing the hotkeys, unit stats, unit interactions, and tech trees, your growth will be super slow.

My way of learning how to use advanced techniques was to simply grind them out in training mode or against Lvl 1 AIs. I created drills for myself, like wavedashing/waveshining across final destination and wavelanding across platform stages. For SHFFLs and SHFFL->Shine (if you play a space animal), I played against a Level 1 Bowser on Time mode w/ 0 time, setting the handicap for me to 1 and him to 9. I found that very helpful in learning how to SHFFL properly, because just being able to SHFFL without a character to practice on doesn't get you accustomed to the hitlag that occurs when you're actually using SHFFL to attack.

Until these were completely internalized in practice, I knew that I wouldn't be able to pull them off in a normal game (I get nervous pretty easy), so I kept drilling and drilling and drilling until doing the advanced techniques was pretty much second nature. Of course, I still mess up from time to time, but I can say without a doubt that my technical skill improved a LOT just by practicing against the AI, allowing me to focus less on what my hands are doing and more upon what's happening in the game -- my opponent's movements, how I should approach, etc.



Wannabe zerg player
AimlessAmoeba
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada704 Posts
June 19 2011 02:36 GMT
#444
Feel free to add me to the list.

Main: Ice Climbers (seriously), Mario
Active: Since Release
Location: North Bay, ON

I've played in a few local "tournaments" and slaughtered all comers. Never been in a serious tournament but if there ever WERE any near here I'd be all over them.
The MOP
Profile Joined January 2011
United States4 Posts
June 19 2011 02:59 GMT
#445
Ha! fuck yea melee! I've been dying to see a thread like this. It's funny, maybe it's cuz I'm NE and nobody plays NE, but I only recognize one name on that list. HOLLA BOXMAN. lol. I know some other big name smashers that I play on SC, but none are here, haters.

Main: Falco
Active: 2008-now, although I didnt compete last year. I'll be stepping it up this year cause I'm relocating to ATL, any Atlanta smashers hit me up!
Location: Vermont... but ATL in a few weeks!

hmmm. I'm not that good anymore, used to play a mean puff / falco, now i stick to falco. Can do all the fancy tech shit, but who can't... uhm, hung out with most of the competitive scene in NE, but like i said, i dropped off the radar last year, and I hope that now that I have a car and a new location, I can get back into it!
Enderbantoo
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States465 Posts
June 19 2011 12:38 GMT
#446
its all about the 805
At the biggest upset of all of bw, Shanghai SPL finals 2011
Chibithor
Profile Joined April 2011
Brazil514 Posts
June 19 2011 13:28 GMT
#447
Perhaps my favorite game of all time. I was alright at it on some standards anyways, but I was young and didn't know anything about the advanced tech or anything. Moreso in Brawl but...

I played mostly Samus and also Falco or Pikachu. I didn't play competitively since I was so young, and didn't even know such a scene existed. I wish they made a Smash Bros. with a proper competitive online, but I guess the creators don't want it to go that way.
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
June 19 2011 13:36 GMT
#448
Hoping the new smash for wii u has some good tech skill possible rather than forced derp (im looking at you brawl)
boredrex
Profile Joined November 2010
United States137 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-19 13:59:17
June 19 2011 13:46 GMT
#449
I love SSBM, but I'm not competitive about it. On the other hand, my brother plays Home run Contest competitively. Currently, he holds the world record for yoshi, link and mewtwo. I'm really trying to get him into SC2, but he's proving to be very resistant. His name is tipomastr. If you know him, tell him he should try SC2.

His compilation HRC vdeio
Poilon
Profile Joined December 2010
France139 Posts
July 14 2011 23:35 GMT
#450
I've watched hundred times TIpo's HRC vidéos
like years ago !
so fun to find ssbm players on teamliquid !
i hope to play against him at sc2 one time
Des rats des rats
Sooji
Profile Joined November 2010
United States121 Posts
July 14 2011 23:53 GMT
#451
damn I had no idea this thread existed! I've gone to both E3 and Pound 4 and had a blast. I've been playing the game seriously since late 2006, early 2007ish. I hail from Southern Virginia (SOVA!) and thankfully we have a pretty active smash scene still- meet maybe 1-2 times a month to play.

Anyone near ODU, CNU or VA beach PM me! We could always use more smashers. Our player pool varies greatly in skill so don't feel bashful to smash with us!

Main: Captain Falcon
Secondary: Pikachu/Dr. Mario
Deleted User 45772
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
339 Posts
July 15 2011 00:06 GMT
#452
--- Nuked ---
Divination
Profile Joined December 2010
United States139 Posts
July 15 2011 00:26 GMT
#453
smashboards.com ^^
Supamang
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2298 Posts
July 15 2011 00:36 GMT
#454
Im more of a Brawl fan, but Melee was tight too. I play Falco, Sheik, and Marth in both

Is it just me or do people seem to hate Brawl compared to Melee on the same basis that people hate SC2 compared to BW?
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
July 15 2011 00:37 GMT
#455
On June 19 2011 21:38 Enderbantoo wrote:
its all about the 805

haha too bad i dont really play + i suck
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
tab420
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada42 Posts
July 15 2011 00:47 GMT
#456
On July 15 2011 09:36 Supamang wrote:
Im more of a Brawl fan, but Melee was tight too. I play Falco, Sheik, and Marth in both

Is it just me or do people seem to hate Brawl compared to Melee on the same basis that people hate SC2 compared to BW?



its not just you and yeah its the same the newer games brawl n sc2 have a lower skill ceiling then their predecessors, well its worse for brawl then sc2 though
ketomai
Profile Joined June 2007
United States2789 Posts
July 15 2011 00:50 GMT
#457
On July 15 2011 09:36 Supamang wrote:
Im more of a Brawl fan, but Melee was tight too. I play Falco, Sheik, and Marth in both

Is it just me or do people seem to hate Brawl compared to Melee on the same basis that people hate SC2 compared to BW?


It's similar but not even close to the same level. Brawl was made to be a casual game specifically while sc2 tried very hard to incorporate esports/competitive play.

As you can see, sc2 is still played extensively while brawl never got even close despite a good predecessor.
darkmetal505
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States639 Posts
July 15 2011 01:00 GMT
#458
Genesis 2 starts tomorrow:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284863

A livestream should be up if anyone wants to follow. =)
Dice.
Profile Joined May 2009
United States78 Posts
July 15 2011 01:01 GMT
#459
Dice
Main: Fox/Falco
Active: Played SuperSmash Bros 64 since release and love it. Played hard with lots of friends all of the time. Got into Melee soon after release and did the same with that game. Learned techs and practiced them pretty hard. Was interested in competing but was too busy trying to get a good team together for Halo 2. I only play now whenever I have a friend to play with. Today my skill is slightly deteriorated compared to back then.

In other news, l am highly confident in my Halo 2 skills. ^.^

Location: Orlando, FL


Btw, can you play SSBM online through via Wii? o.O
Ahh, that's the stuff. [b]Team Dice[/b] [b][green]Main Team[/green][/b] 2 [tlpd#players#4#T#sc2-korean]Bbyong[/tlpd] 5 [tlpd#players#6#T#sc2-korean]Fantasy[/tlpd] 3 [tlpd#players#629#P#sc2-korean]Oz[/tlpd] 7 [tlpd#players#2322#P#sc2-korean]Parting[/tlp
Kyuukyuu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada6263 Posts
July 15 2011 01:02 GMT
#460
Brawl was a conscious attempt to remove everything competitive about the game and turn it into a Mario Party fighter. It's infinitely worse than what SC2 did.
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 188 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 580
Hyuk 467
Leta 86
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm221
League of Legends
JimRising 850
Other Games
summit1g9526
WinterStarcraft443
Mew2King64
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1005
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream154
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2250
League of Legends
• Rush1359
• Lourlo1004
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 44m
INu's Battles
6h 44m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
9h 44m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 44m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 44m
Replay Cast
17h 44m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 5h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.