• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:28
CEST 17:28
KST 00:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War195.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11535 users

Anime Discussion Thread - Page 289

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 287 288 289 290 291 6486 Next
If you come in here looking for "anime recommendations" then please refer to this chart before posting: Anime Recommendations (as of may 2014). We also have an IRC channel called #tladt where we all hang out. The channel is on Rizon, not QuakeNet! Feel free to check it out. TLADT discord is Discord.gg

For currently airing anime, please see Anichart.net
bearbuddy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3442 Posts
May 09 2010 16:35 GMT
#5761
Woah, is that Izaya and Shizuo topping out the 9 and 10 spots?
SkelA
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Macedonia13090 Posts
May 09 2010 17:05 GMT
#5762
Just finished Mononoke and was so awesome. Everything was perfect from a badass main character to lovely animation style and complicated story arcs. Just loved it ! Hoping for a 2nd season soon...

Well next is Shigurui. Samurai+ seinen is never a bad thing so i guess there will be lots of blood and a good story i hope.

Still watching Angel Beats and Its getting from medocre to bad... . I just cant see whats the big deal compared with the masses that are going crazy about it. Well the masses are crazy about K-ON and i cant even stand that one
Stork and KHAN fan till 2012 ...
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-09 18:47:29
May 09 2010 18:45 GMT
#5763
On May 10 2010 02:05 SkelA wrote:
Just finished Mononoke and was so awesome. Everything was perfect from a badass main character to lovely animation style and complicated story arcs. Just loved it ! Hoping for a 2nd season soon...

Well next is Shigurui. Samurai+ seinen is never a bad thing so i guess there will be lots of blood and a good story i hope.

Still watching Angel Beats and Its getting from medocre to bad... . I just cant see whats the big deal compared with the masses that are going crazy about it. Well the masses are crazy about K-ON and i cant even stand that one


What a coincidence, I'm also watching Shigurui at the moment. It's fucking brutal, I've never seen such a raw show in my 71 days of uninterrupted anime watching.

It's a bit confusing at first, but once you get halfway in or so, you get used to the unique storytelling and art.
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
May 09 2010 19:16 GMT
#5764
That Mononoke was a success was a rather interesting thing considering how it is tied to Ayakashi lol

On May 09 2010 16:38 Mystlord wrote:
Nah, I usually don't drop anime unless it's just terribad. I like having exposure to many different animes. You also never know what MJ will pull out of his hat, and that keeps me going for AB.

Well the way that Naoi phrased it, he said something about a person's dream coming true. If that's so, then I certainly can't see any rationale for having Yuri revisit her worst nightmares as plausible. I suppose though, that it might be possible that hypnosis doesn't have the power to make people move on from that world. After all, hypnosis is a rather disingenuous way to make someone move on. I don't think Naoi ever mentioned using hypnosis before to make someone disappear, so it might be that the representation of Yuri's "blissful dream" as a nightmare might be an indication of the extent to which it's failed. However, I'm probably conjecturing far too much, as there's no evidence to point to such a conclusion.

Her roboticism might be a result of her isolation, yet it's not as if she shuns all human contact. After all, she interacts perfectly fine with Otonashi, though it could be a result of knowing that he won't disappear... Again, I'm conjecturing quite a bit. Although that got me thinking about the nature of her character, in that she's completely reactionary. She always responds to something, and never creates something herself. In a sense, she is an NPC with regard to the fact that she never steps outside the bounds of the "game" that they're assigned to. Naoi is different in that he hid a shadow life, but there's no indication of the sort with Tachibana. I don't think she's taken the initiative once throughout the entire anime.

I suppose part of the reason why I'm frustrated with the lack of characterization of Tachibana stems from the fact that the end of the previous episode showed her with actual emotions on her face, and I was really anticipating the show exploring that side of Tachibana.

Well when Otonashi is laughing with man tears... I'm not sure what to make of it.

Well now sleep deprivation is getting to my brain, so I'll be back tomorrow

I was going to post a rebuttal to the "Angel Bullies" sentiment that's been going around, but I'll save that for when my mind is actually working. Instead I'll just post something that's sure to get all Tachibana fans riled up - say hello to the Newtype magazine character polls!

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Why yes, that is indeed Yuri at #1 and Tachibana at #10. Some other interesting tidbits, but whatever. And yes, the image is shamelessly ripped from the SC.

I wonder what MJ can pull out of his hat with about half of a season left...

From the very start I thought that it was impossible for him to use hypnosis to make people move on from this world, rather, the way he is going about it feels contradictory to what he called the act of disappearance from this world. That particular buddhist concept in Japan is iirc based on the idea that people linger on earth because of strong sentiments of some sort, honestly not too sure that by showing them their wishes he would've been able to get the desired effects. So really, to me, Naoi seems to have a flawed conception despite of having time to observe Iwasaki and others, which does tie up some with his broken past. Well, a past that's so hard to relate to that we don't care, but a past

For me she is getting that Nagato treatment of going from a reactionary robot to human, we all think it was absolutely awesome when Nagato actually took initiative once don't we? :D

Otonashi is just being an eroge protagonist, choking back tears unsuccessfully, just make this a game and we'll all be happy having text~
ieatkids5
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United States4628 Posts
May 09 2010 19:30 GMT
#5765
i started watching honey and clover a few months ago and made it through half of the first season but dropped it (also a few months ago) because i thought it was too boring. i heard it was really really good, as is the second season, but i just find it difficult to get into the story and like the characters. is it worth finishing? it there a crazy good ending? or should i just let it go.
Southlight
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States11768 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-09 19:39:52
May 09 2010 19:35 GMT
#5766
If you didn't like the characters you won't like it. It's pretty straightforward like that :p

Re: Angel Beats

I feel like MJ has a tendency to lean toward tearjerk stories. The problem is he's obviously a fan of large casts, and is used to being able to build the large cast towards one epic finale. For the most part, large chunks of his stories are just simple slice of life, where you come to like the characters. Then, when the tearjerk starts, he intends for you to have gotten enough of an emotional attachment to the characters that you can sympathize with them.

In Angel Beats he doesn't have the time, given the length of the series. Obviously the forced moments are why no one really cared for Iwasawa's disappearance, and for Yuri's past.

I think he needed to follow a model more like Planetarian: small cast, but more exposure to the small cast :|
oraoraoraoraoraoraoraora
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
May 09 2010 19:35 GMT
#5767
On May 10 2010 04:30 ieatkids5 wrote:
i started watching honey and clover a few months ago and made it through half of the first season but dropped it (also a few months ago) because i thought it was too boring. i heard it was really really good, as is the second season, but i just find it difficult to get into the story and like the characters. is it worth finishing? it there a crazy good ending? or should i just let it go.


Why are you even asking this? Drop it. The pace is the same for every episode, if you don't like it from the start you won't develop a liking later on. I didn't find a second of Honey&Clover boring, but each to his own.
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
Oddysay
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Canada597 Posts
May 09 2010 20:36 GMT
#5768
here some other good anime if you like rainbow
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Texhnolyze :

ukuss is a forsaken City where despair and violence is widespread. Its sole purpose of existence is mining rafia, a rare material that connects the human body, a necessity to texhnolyzation - manufacturing mechanical limbs.
There lives Ichise, a boy who carves his life in gamble boxing to live, Ran, a girl who sees the near future .
The town symbol Obelisk silently watches the delicate balance of ukuss, for chaos is about to unfold.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
requiem for the phantom :

In the American underworld, Mafia leaders are being killed one after another, with rumours of “Inferno” and the organisation’s top assasssin “Phantom” circulating around them. A boy, traveling alone in America becomes involved in one of these incidents and unexpectedly encounters Phantom

the atmosphere which I believe is the strongest part of this series. People who have seen Noir and Madlax will understand what I'm talking about. The series changes a lot of sets during its course but it never falls behind. The atmosphere is dark and gloomy although sometimes gets brighter just to break from the monotony. You never know what might happen, who will betray who or who's going to be next in the list. The series has you guessing most of the time and the cliffhangers continue right throw the end.

can post more adult ( not hentai ) /dark anime if anone want
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
May 09 2010 22:38 GMT
#5769
On May 10 2010 04:35 Southlight wrote:
If you didn't like the characters you won't like it. It's pretty straightforward like that :p

Re: Angel Beats

I feel like MJ has a tendency to lean toward tearjerk stories. The problem is he's obviously a fan of large casts, and is used to being able to build the large cast towards one epic finale. For the most part, large chunks of his stories are just simple slice of life, where you come to like the characters. Then, when the tearjerk starts, he intends for you to have gotten enough of an emotional attachment to the characters that you can sympathize with them.

In Angel Beats he doesn't have the time, given the length of the series. Obviously the forced moments are why no one really cared for Iwasawa's disappearance, and for Yuri's past.

I think he needed to follow a model more like Planetarian: small cast, but more exposure to the small cast :|

I forgot, what was his involvement with Planetarian? And yeah, I agree, length is really the issue here. Clannad had the virtue of going 2 seasons, one just for the afterstory practically, and even that did away with the elements in the game that just didn't flow naturally into the true story. Angel Beats has 1/4th the time and a larger cast. Not quite a recipe that seems like it'll end too nicely.

The model like Planetarian feels like it is hard to adapt into AB though, it definitely engaged attention, but it also lacked that epic feeling that AB is supposed to inspire.
Southlight
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States11768 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-09 22:48:27
May 09 2010 22:43 GMT
#5770
I don't think he had anything to do with Planetarian, but that's more or less my point. When it comes to short tearjerk stories I pretty much hold Planetarian up as like a golden standard, and it feels (to me) painfully obvious how inexperienced/if I dare say so myself, bad, at shorter stories that lead to tearjerking. See Clannad vs LB vs Hibiki no Mahou.

Edit:
On different notes,
Working!! episode 6 has me rofling. Prolly the most rofl-worthy first-2-minutes of a show I've run into in a while XDDDDDD

And ef is hard as hell to find. Particularly first tale :| I've kinda given up and gone for it on PD T_T;

Edit2:
げふぅ Nazuna is awesome enough to cause imouto-moe-ness D|
oraoraoraoraoraoraoraora
dronebabo
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
10866 Posts
May 10 2010 02:16 GMT
#5771
--- Nuked ---
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
May 10 2010 16:22 GMT
#5772
Ef is amazing you have to watch it

It is SO well done and massive tearjerker and emo moments
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
May 10 2010 16:23 GMT
#5773
In this case Southlight (and I) were talking about the games The anime was quite well done though imo. Wondering if this means *eden might eventually see animation.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
May 10 2010 16:27 GMT
#5774
MJ will pull the same thing out of his hat that he's been pulling out of his hat. I dunno what you guys are expecting/predicting.
Get it by your hands...
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
May 10 2010 17:50 GMT
#5775
The same effect, or the same thing? That is rather different.

Yay I got my latest fix of bungaku shoujo in more books, whose who read vol 1 might be interested to know that short stories vol 3 have a good amount of pages (just a bit less than half of the book, actually) devoted to Takeda Chia. It is quite interesting to see how far the author has taken her throughout the main series and beyond.
Southlight
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States11768 Posts
May 10 2010 18:15 GMT
#5776
Whilst the end result was the same (T_T) the method and the topics covered in Clannad and Little Busters were greatly different.

What did people think of Sora no woto? I kinda brushed it off a while ago because I was tired of K-on stuff, but I watched episode 1 and it looked alright O_o;
oraoraoraoraoraoraoraora
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
May 10 2010 18:24 GMT
#5777
On May 11 2010 03:15 Southlight wrote:
Whilst the end result was the same (T_T) the method and the topics covered in Clannad and Little Busters were greatly different.

What did people think of Sora no woto? I kinda brushed it off a while ago because I was tired of K-on stuff, but I watched episode 1 and it looked alright O_o;

People gave it a lot of flak because of the artstyle, but I personally quite enjoyed it. It is part Aria part Haibane with a dash of moe. Honestly it was too short, more time would probably have allowed even better development, but even with the constrained time it was able to deliver quite an interesting experience, even if many things are left unanswered.
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
May 10 2010 18:35 GMT
#5778
"a dash" eh
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
Southlight
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States11768 Posts
May 10 2010 18:49 GMT
#5779
I'm ambivalent as to "moe." It won't make me watch nor not-watch a series, but if it's a series entirely dedicated to it (K-on) then I'll not have any interest whatsoever.

I'll hope it's more to-the-point than mindless blubbering-ala-K-on, then. >_>
oraoraoraoraoraoraoraora
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
May 10 2010 18:55 GMT
#5780
On May 11 2010 03:35 Shauni wrote:
"a dash" eh

Why, when the original comparison was K-on? Yes, a dash.
Prev 1 287 288 289 290 291 6486 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34119
Calm 5581
Bisu 2626
Jaedong 1039
Horang2 651
BeSt 455
Rush 431
Soma 382
Stork 311
Larva 303
[ Show more ]
Light 253
Zeus 206
ZerO 192
Snow 173
Free 126
910 110
Mind 108
Barracks 105
Sea.KH 59
Killer 54
Mong 42
Hyun 39
Shinee 38
Liquid`Ret 37
ToSsGirL 36
Terrorterran 30
Trap 30
Bale 25
Aegong 23
sorry 22
Rock 20
Hm[arnc] 17
Sexy 12
Sacsri 11
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7577
XaKoH 434
Counter-Strike
fl0m3774
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes541
Other Games
singsing2315
hiko851
B2W.Neo519
Mlord366
Lowko341
mouzStarbuck184
DeMusliM182
Hui .176
Livibee166
RotterdaM113
QueenE69
KnowMe58
Trikslyr55
Mew2King52
ZerO(Twitch)15
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile1163
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3460
• Jankos2330
• TFBlade588
Other Games
• Shiphtur529
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 32m
Big Brain Bouts
18h 32m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
Patches Events
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.