• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:45
CEST 16:45
KST 23:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War145.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11045 users

Anime Discussion Thread - Page 288

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 286 287 288 289 290 6486 Next
If you come in here looking for "anime recommendations" then please refer to this chart before posting: Anime Recommendations (as of may 2014). We also have an IRC channel called #tladt where we all hang out. The channel is on Rizon, not QuakeNet! Feel free to check it out. TLADT discord is Discord.gg

For currently airing anime, please see Anichart.net
bearbuddy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3442 Posts
May 08 2010 07:34 GMT
#5741
The series is hardly old. It was made like... a year, 2 years ago? something recent. Though I agree, it's pretty good.

In another news, Mago is coming out in July, and there's a teaser out there.
+ Show Spoiler +


I was expecting the colors to be duller. Well, it is a shonen, after all...
Southlight
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States11768 Posts
May 08 2010 08:57 GMT
#5742
Three, and that's old enough for me >_>
oraoraoraoraoraoraoraora
Thratur
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada917 Posts
May 08 2010 09:59 GMT
#5743
Hey Mystlord, where is the weekly Angel Beats rant? I kind of like to read it.
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12058 Posts
May 08 2010 11:07 GMT
#5744
Really enjoyed Angel Beats again this week. Tenshi <3
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
May 08 2010 22:21 GMT
#5745
Angel beats is awessommeeee

<3 tenshi <3
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
May 09 2010 00:38 GMT
#5746
yeah angel beats is one of the best shows ive seen <3
yuri is soooo cute!

+ Show Spoiler +
uguu~
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
Ursadon-n-Pals
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States928 Posts
May 09 2010 01:04 GMT
#5747
Angel Beats! is soo good. Key makes amazing stuff.
Haha 3 in a row.
Nothing worth having comes easy.
SK.Testie
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada11084 Posts
May 09 2010 01:10 GMT
#5748
Not too heart wrenching yet though. I want Angel Beats to be like 50 episodes instead. =[
Social Justice is a fools errand. May all the adherents at its church be thwarted. Of all the religions I have come across, it is by far the most detestable.
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
May 09 2010 02:16 GMT
#5749
lol never seen such halfhearted sarcasm-filled praises here.

Can't help but wonder if they are eventually going to have more media changes with AB, Kanade's settings are so VN-esque.
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
May 09 2010 02:19 GMT
#5750
Key is brilliant. Seriously. Well, I haven't watched Angel Beats yet (Plan to watch when it's completed) but watching the other Key adaptations and playing the VNs already tell me that it's going to be awesome.
Spazer
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada8036 Posts
May 09 2010 03:37 GMT
#5751
I got around to reading Bungaku Shoujo, and I have to say, it was good. The premise is pretty bizzare (a girl that eats books), so it came as a bit of a surprise how dark the story got. + Show Spoiler +
I got completely blindsided by just how badly Konoha got used. It was also pretty hilarious how everyone lied. Well, I guess Touko didn't, but she's too nice.

It makes me sad that the rest of the books probably won't get translated for a long time now that Baka-Tsuki's stopped work on them. At least I've got a movie to look forward to.

Angel Beats has gotten better recently, but it's still kinda underwhelming at the moment. Needs better tragedy.
+ Show Spoiler [Clannad, Kanon] +
There's still nothing quite on par with Nagisa dying, "Happy Birthday Shiori", etc. I feel like we don't know any of the characters well enough to really care about anything that happened in their past. With Clannad and Kanon, we had five to ten episodes of character development before they started throwing in the sad stuff. In Angel Beats, we've seen the new student council president in two episodes, and his tragic past has already been revealed.

Also: + Show Spoiler [Angel Beats] +
Okay, I get that they can create items/powers for themselves, but hypnotism? Come on. I almost laughed when it was revealed.
Liquipedia
JSH
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4109 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-09 03:56:16
May 09 2010 03:46 GMT
#5752
Just watched ep6

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
"flower" hand sonic


so far its still meh...

watched it while waiting for Proleague to start

+ Show Spoiler +
and when they hugged I was like wat...?
the change was kind of really fast...
an insane "I'm God I'm going to do kill and do whatever I want
die vanish from this world" to "will you believe me?" emotional guy huh
"It's called a miracle because it doesn't happen" - Just like my chances of reaching C- on ICCUP
Mystlord *
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10264 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-09 04:17:13
May 09 2010 04:16 GMT
#5753
I hope those comments are sarcastic. Angel Beats was better this week, I'll give them that, but I'm starting to notice more animation quirks, with some weird eye placement and still CGs. The characterization is also quickly becoming weaker and weaker. To be honest, I find it hard to take any of these characters seriously anymore. When you have a form 4 Hand Sonic that looks like a Lotus, that's when you know that you aren't supposed to take anything in this world seriously.

Any sympathy I had for Tachibana was constantly cut off this episode as she was presented as a literally moronic and robotic character. I mean at the very least you'd think that we'd start to see some characterization of Tachibana, but all we get is a story about how she remains friendless in this world that's ended by a shot of Otonashi in man tears and saying that it's funny? I must be missing something here.

Even worse is the second half of the episode and specifically the presentation of Naoi. When I saw the shot of him beating up students, I was actually anticipating some sort of epic backstory concerning the mentality behind his actions. Then we learn that he uses NPCs as shields in battle, we learn that he uses hypnosis on students to do his bidding, and we learn that he was secretly plotting to take control of this world. What kind of a twisted background did this kid have??? You said you had a cruel life? GO ON??

... Oh, how anticlimactic. You're the son of a potter who was forced to replace your dead brother. And faced with your failure, you were forced to live a meaningless and fake existence... Where's your motivation for the immoral acts that you conducted throughout the episode again? I-wait-errr... umm.... Ok fine.

Wait, and now you're telling me that by listening to someone else accept you, that you've now lost all motivation to continue your reign of brutality? Huh wait what is this I don't even.

However, for all the hate I give Angel Beats, I have to commend them on a few things that they do right.

First, the rendition of the battlefield scene. Previously we've seen any deaths that occur in this show as a joke, but this scene really flipped that perspective around. The audience finally learns that death is most certainly NOT a joke, and is serious business. I also love the way how they emphasized the method and carnage of death as presented in this episode. You see blood all over the place, bullet ridden bodies, etc. Compare this scenery with the entirety of episode 2, where the only thing you see if the aftermath of death. Do we see exactly how Matsushita was cut up with the Resident Evil style lasers? No. All we know is that the world is self-correcting, and everything is hunky dory at the end. Here though... Here we see the true tragedy of death. Gold star for presenting deaths in all its aspects.

Next, the initial presentation of Naoi. The rationale that the show gives for his actions deflates everything, but I thought that MJ had something going there with Naoi's twisted rationale of how the world works and such.

Third, Otonashi's rant against Naoi. The single reason why I loved this inclusion is the hypocrisy and the irony behind it. I mean Otonashi, you're talking to someone that his life was real when you can't even remember your own? You would presume to lecture to someone about how he should perceive his life when you yourself don't have a real life to remember? I would have liked to see whether that entire rant was a function of truly believing in his memory, or if it was a result of not having a life of his own to attach those memories to. But well, it's only halfway through the series.

And finally, giving TK more lines this episode. Of course the most memorable one he gave was the Terminator reference. More TK lines plz!

And going back to address something that I forgot: Yuri's flashback. Absolutely silly. Naoi, how in the world do you expect Yuri to disappear and rest in peace if you're making her relive her WORST memory??? That was THE strangest thing in this series yet. To be honest, I'm just really disappointed at that. It's like Maeda Jun just wanted to get a scene on Yuri's backstory so badly that he forgot the reason behind the hypnosis in the first place. For shame...

Edit: Perhaps I should just start a blog and blog all these posts instead of flooding this thread with my long arse text posts :<.
It is impossible to be a citizen if you don't make an effort to understand the most basic activities of your government. It is very difficult to thrive in an increasingly competitive world if you're a nation of doods.
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-09 06:01:22
May 09 2010 04:28 GMT
#5754
We should note that Naoi, who doesn't care for people's past, would never know that Yuri's past joy was tied with her misery.

Saving some space here to poke at Mystlord, I'll start editing after a few more games of SC

EDIT -
On May 09 2010 12:37 Spazer wrote:
I got around to reading Bungaku Shoujo, and I have to say, it was good. The premise is pretty bizzare (a girl that eats books), so it came as a bit of a surprise how dark the story got. + Show Spoiler +
I got completely blindsided by just how badly Konoha got used. It was also pretty hilarious how everyone lied. Well, I guess Touko didn't, but she's too nice.

It makes me sad that the rest of the books probably won't get translated for a long time now that Baka-Tsuki's stopped work on them. At least I've got a movie to look forward to.

Angel Beats has gotten better recently, but it's still kinda underwhelming at the moment. Needs better tragedy.
+ Show Spoiler [Clannad, Kanon] +
There's still nothing quite on par with Nagisa dying, "Happy Birthday Shiori", etc. I feel like we don't know any of the characters well enough to really care about anything that happened in their past. With Clannad and Kanon, we had five to ten episodes of character development before they started throwing in the sad stuff. In Angel Beats, we've seen the new student council president in two episodes, and his tragic past has already been revealed.

Also: + Show Spoiler [Angel Beats] +
Okay, I get that they can create items/powers for themselves, but hypnotism? Come on. I almost laughed when it was revealed.

Yay another Bungaku Shoujo convert, let's form a fanclub for Touko-senpai I should note how knowing the books in question just allowed the author to blindside you even better. I heard that vol 2 is being worked on by someone, and well, worst case will see me doing translation work on that. I kind of have the choice of Seitokai no Ichizon and Bungaku Shoujo, wonder which I'll pick Movie will be about vol 5 though...oh well, we all get to know about Miu.

Mystlord, looks like you should just stay away from AB? It still looks like it is taking a Bakemonogatari style of humor driven plot, albeit with even less room for cheap novel talks

Anyhow, Naoi mentioned the idea of passing on, a rather more Buddhist concept than the idea of Purgatory. How he tried to do it was somewhat strange, as its meaning is really that those who have come to terms with their present life can finally move on, as we saw with Iwasaki. Just showing a memory of bliss is rather different. So I can't help but wonder if he isn't too particular sure of the conditions to make people pass on either.

Any sympathy I had for Tachibana was constantly cut off this episode as she was presented as a literally moronic and robotic character. I mean at the very least you'd think that we'd start to see some characterization of Tachibana, but all we get is a story about how she remains friendless in this world that's ended by a shot of Otonashi in man tears and saying that it's funny? I must be missing something here.

To me that really points to what the days of isolation has done to her. While she was the president, her duties allowed her to focus on something, but it didn't particularly save her. Solitude is a powerful force.

As for funny, ummm bad subs. It was more "What the fuck is up with this world that it'd screw with a poor little girl like this", not funny.

The rest of the parts about Naoi I rather agree, honestly that feels like an issue with length and it was something that would've been better cleared up in a longer season or perhaps in the supplement novels. Not much to say about the rest of it either. Especially that rant on Otonashi. What's that pointless eroge protagonist-like attitude
Southlight
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States11768 Posts
May 09 2010 06:45 GMT
#5755
They need to leave a dead series dead

+ Show Spoiler [code geass ren'ya] +

[image loading]
oraoraoraoraoraoraoraora
Mystlord *
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10264 Posts
May 09 2010 07:38 GMT
#5756
Nah, I usually don't drop anime unless it's just terribad. I like having exposure to many different animes. You also never know what MJ will pull out of his hat, and that keeps me going for AB.

Well the way that Naoi phrased it, he said something about a person's dream coming true. If that's so, then I certainly can't see any rationale for having Yuri revisit her worst nightmares as plausible. I suppose though, that it might be possible that hypnosis doesn't have the power to make people move on from that world. After all, hypnosis is a rather disingenuous way to make someone move on. I don't think Naoi ever mentioned using hypnosis before to make someone disappear, so it might be that the representation of Yuri's "blissful dream" as a nightmare might be an indication of the extent to which it's failed. However, I'm probably conjecturing far too much, as there's no evidence to point to such a conclusion.

Her roboticism might be a result of her isolation, yet it's not as if she shuns all human contact. After all, she interacts perfectly fine with Otonashi, though it could be a result of knowing that he won't disappear... Again, I'm conjecturing quite a bit. Although that got me thinking about the nature of her character, in that she's completely reactionary. She always responds to something, and never creates something herself. In a sense, she is an NPC with regard to the fact that she never steps outside the bounds of the "game" that they're assigned to. Naoi is different in that he hid a shadow life, but there's no indication of the sort with Tachibana. I don't think she's taken the initiative once throughout the entire anime.

I suppose part of the reason why I'm frustrated with the lack of characterization of Tachibana stems from the fact that the end of the previous episode showed her with actual emotions on her face, and I was really anticipating the show exploring that side of Tachibana.

Well when Otonashi is laughing with man tears... I'm not sure what to make of it.

Well now sleep deprivation is getting to my brain, so I'll be back tomorrow

I was going to post a rebuttal to the "Angel Bullies" sentiment that's been going around, but I'll save that for when my mind is actually working. Instead I'll just post something that's sure to get all Tachibana fans riled up - say hello to the Newtype magazine character polls!

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Why yes, that is indeed Yuri at #1 and Tachibana at #10. Some other interesting tidbits, but whatever. And yes, the image is shamelessly ripped from the SC.
It is impossible to be a citizen if you don't make an effort to understand the most basic activities of your government. It is very difficult to thrive in an increasingly competitive world if you're a nation of doods.
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
May 09 2010 12:34 GMT
#5757
haha character polls. Do they have that in every Newtype release? Glorious nippon! At least the K-On sluts are falling down because of Angel Beats, but I'm not sure the exchange is much better...
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
May 09 2010 13:14 GMT
#5758
On May 09 2010 21:34 Shauni wrote:
haha character polls. Do they have that in every Newtype release? Glorious nippon! At least the K-On sluts are falling down because of Angel Beats, but I'm not sure the exchange is much better...



Noo k-on girls are innocent and pure :3
aers *
Profile Joined January 2009
United States1210 Posts
May 09 2010 13:44 GMT
#5759
On May 09 2010 21:34 Shauni wrote:
haha character polls. Do they have that in every Newtype release? Glorious nippon! At least the K-On sluts are falling down because of Angel Beats, but I'm not sure the exchange is much better...


Yes, Newtype does monthly character polls.

Noo k-on girls are innocent and pure :3


Honestly lines like this are why I hate the fanbases of anime like K-ON!. Why the hell does it matter, they're fictional characters.
bubblegumbo
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Taiwan1296 Posts
May 09 2010 15:55 GMT
#5760
How dare they impregnate my JAPANESE waifu~!
"I honestly think that whoever invented toilet paper is a genius. For man to survive, they need toilet paper!"- Nal_rA
Prev 1 286 287 288 289 290 6486 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 376
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35668
Calm 7073
Bisu 2531
Rain 1547
Jaedong 934
BeSt 604
Horang2 583
Soma 522
Rush 413
Larva 312
[ Show more ]
Stork 302
Light 258
ZerO 195
Zeus 193
Snow 183
Mind 130
Free 126
910 105
Barracks 104
Killer 72
Hyun 51
Mong 50
Sea.KH 47
ToSsGirL 32
Shinee 32
Trap 26
sorry 22
Hm[arnc] 21
Pusan 21
Aegong 20
Rock 19
Terrorterran 19
Bale 15
Sexy 15
Sacsri 11
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8067
XaKoH 408
Counter-Strike
fl0m4008
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes457
Other Games
gofns34098
singsing2255
B2W.Neo807
hiko432
Lowko343
Mlord318
Hui .187
DeMusliM163
Livibee163
djWHEAT106
RotterdaM85
mouzStarbuck72
Trikslyr65
Mew2King61
QueenE57
KnowMe26
ZerO(Twitch)14
ToD13
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix15
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3529
• Jankos2347
• TFBlade646
Other Games
• Shiphtur98
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 16m
Big Brain Bouts
19h 16m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.