• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:02
CEST 20:02
KST 03:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7874 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 58

Forum Index > Dota 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 56 57 58 59 60 1254 Next
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
December 29 2011 23:57 GMT
#1141
tyty. I like it.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-30 21:53:15
December 30 2011 21:53 GMT
#1142
How do I Alchemist? I read a playdota guide, and it said that I should dual-lane and build up my Unstable Concoction, but the 5s guide thing on this forum said I should max acid spray and solo mid. Confused...?

I played a game with him and had a fucking blast.
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
December 31 2011 02:29 GMT
#1143
On December 31 2011 06:53 Fruscainte wrote:
How do I Alchemist? I read a playdota guide, and it said that I should dual-lane and build up my Unstable Concoction, but the 5s guide thing on this forum said I should max acid spray and solo mid. Confused...?

I played a game with him and had a fucking blast.

he's better solo since he can rush radiance for massive farmage. but if u play him dual lane you might as well get 1 lvl unstable and max acid spray after (it's very strong at max level).
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
December 31 2011 03:50 GMT
#1144
So today I checked my PM and I was lucky enough to win a key from the Playdota forums daily draw. I am new to Dota 2 (downloading right now) but I have played quite a bit of Dota 1 with my friends. I have almost never played pub games but rather LAN play with my friends against AIs. As such no doubt my game sense will be lacking but my last hitting and denying are ok. I like to play carry but seeing as my multiplayer experience is limited, and I may lag a lot (shitty chinese internet) this might not work out in Dota 2.

So I have a few questions:

1. How long is an average game? I cannot guarantee that I can always finish every game to its end particularly if they are the 40-50 minute monsters of your average Dota 1 game.

2. Any penalties for leaving/dropping?

3. Is there a sort of ranking system like ELO or Iccup points equivalent?

4. Which heroes would you recommend playing first?

5. Will I still own this game after Dota 2 goes gold?

Thanks very much in advance. Can't wait for my download to finish T_T chinese internet
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
Musou
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
1375 Posts
December 31 2011 04:10 GMT
#1145
On December 31 2011 12:50 writer22816 wrote:
So today I checked my PM and I was lucky enough to win a key from the Playdota forums daily draw. I am new to Dota 2 (downloading right now) but I have played quite a bit of Dota 1 with my friends. I have almost never played pub games but rather LAN play with my friends against AIs. As such no doubt my game sense will be lacking but my last hitting and denying are ok. I like to play carry but seeing as my multiplayer experience is limited, and I may lag a lot (shitty chinese internet) this might not work out in Dota 2.

So I have a few questions:

1. How long is an average game? I cannot guarantee that I can always finish every game to its end particularly if they are the 40-50 minute monsters of your average Dota 1 game.

2. Any penalties for leaving/dropping?

3. Is there a sort of ranking system like ELO or Iccup points equivalent?

4. Which heroes would you recommend playing first?

5. Will I still own this game after Dota 2 goes gold?

Thanks very much in advance. Can't wait for my download to finish T_T chinese internet


1. It's basically a direct port of DotA1 so the game lengths are the same. There is no difference.
2. You get an abandon if you are the first to leave. There is a 5 minute rejoin timer for dropping. You get the same penalty as leaving if you drop and don't return within 5 minutes. If you consistently abandon games, you are placed into a separate queue which can cause you to have wait times of 1h+ instead of a minute or two.
3. There is an internal ranking system like SC2 matchmaking, but your MMR/Elo/etc is completely hidden. There is no way to see it as of now. (There used to be a command you could enter in the console, but they patched it out.)
4. Play anything you are comfortable with from DotA1. They are exactly the same, although some heroes might still have bugs.
5. Nobody knows. It depends on the payment scheme selected by Valve.

Extra: You can play custom games with people instead of playing the matchmaking if you aren't comfortable with it. Also, you can make games with bots to test out different heroes before playing games with other people.
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
January 02 2012 01:28 GMT
#1146
Is it ever worth getting arcane boots on Crystal Maiden?
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
wurm
Profile Joined October 2007
Philippines2296 Posts
January 02 2012 02:04 GMT
#1147
On January 02 2012 10:28 PassiveAce wrote:
Is it ever worth getting arcane boots on Crystal Maiden?


Nah, Brilliance Aura already provides the mana regen you need, plus she needs hp to last through a clash. Go strength treads.
I know where my towel is.
5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
January 02 2012 02:45 GMT
#1148
On January 02 2012 11:04 wurm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2012 10:28 PassiveAce wrote:
Is it ever worth getting arcane boots on Crystal Maiden?


Nah, Brilliance Aura already provides the mana regen you need, plus she needs hp to last through a clash. Go strength treads.

New tranquil boots are arguably better (more ms, free heals, cheaper, etc). But yea, pretty much no go on arcane cm (unless you're doing a VERY specific 5 man push strat).
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
January 02 2012 02:58 GMT
#1149
On January 02 2012 11:04 wurm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2012 10:28 PassiveAce wrote:
Is it ever worth getting arcane boots on Crystal Maiden?


Nah, Brilliance Aura already provides the mana regen you need, plus she needs hp to last through a clash. Go strength treads.

Phases or Tranquil boots IMO. Get your HP from Bracers/Urn/etc.
Moderator
storm44
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
1293 Posts
January 02 2012 05:19 GMT
#1150
So I'm trying to watch more vods of pro games and the only site I know so far is joindota.com and there is only like 1 per day and no new ones up for now. Could anyone help me find other sites like this, and if there are sites of replays of pro games that I could download that would be awesome too.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 05:52:01
January 02 2012 05:40 GMT
#1151
On January 02 2012 14:19 storm44 wrote:
So I'm trying to watch more vods of pro games and the only site I know so far is joindota.com and there is only like 1 per day and no new ones up for now. Could anyone help me find other sites like this, and if there are sites of replays of pro games that I could download that would be awesome too.

Are you interested in just DotA 2 or DotA 1 as well? Does it matter whether or not you can understand the commentary?

First off, don't forget you can find replays through the in-game client. From the "Watch" tab, you can select "Recent Games", and from there, search for either tournament games specifically (though most of those are cast on JoinDotA), or for games from a specific player.

For DotA 1 (and I apologize if this is not helpful to you--though I figured some other people might like this information anyway):

http://www.gosugamers.net/dota - not necessarily the place to find streams, but they keep goot tabs on when live events happen. Also can try to watch through the direct Chinese links to matches, but from my experience, pplive is fairly finicky if you're watching from the US, so this is not very reliable. Be careful that they have a bad habit of spoilering results in their GosuBets column (which I HATE, so I try to get the times for matches before they happen).

http://www.youtube.com/user/carl14706 - not really updated pro matches, but has 5 old 2009 videos subtitled, as well as the Dendi solo mid guide. Worth watching for someone interested in pro games.

http://www.own3d.tv/blond
and
http://www.justin.tv/blond_analizator - Russian streamer that restreams and records most recent major Chinese DotA 1 matches. This is generally how I choose to watch live DotA 1 matches, as it's probably the easiest way for someone outside of China to watch. I usually try to catch VoDs elsewhere, but that's because I can understand the Chinese commentary, and prefer to watch the direct VoDs because of it, rather than those from a restream.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lovecoqu - Youtube re-upload of Chinese DotA youku videos. All of these can be found directly on Youku (Chinese youtube-ish site, unreliable load times sometimes from the states), and some of them are not necessarily tournament matches. The ones that are though are pretty recognisable though.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful!
Moderator
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 15:24:12
January 02 2012 15:22 GMT
#1152
Got another question.
Since iv been trying to learn dota2 iv been reading a great deal of playdota guides, which iv found to be really helpful. But when I came across the highest rated guide on Dragon Knight I was kind of skeptical of the role and build it laid out for him.
It basically says to play Dragon knight as a semi-carry, recommending items urn, HotD, Armlet, and later a satanic or other standard late game strength carry item. I just wanted to ask you more experienced players what you thought of this guide and if its worth using by a newbie like me.
Heres a link: http://www.playdota.com/guides/laying-all-to-burnination

Thanks again guys

Edit- o yeah, on a completely unrelated note, was their ever a version of dota where Dragon Knight had an ability that gave him extra gold? I vaguely remember playing Dragon Knight forever ago (never played much dota) and I remember an ability like that, was just curious how good my memory is.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
EtherealBlade
Profile Joined August 2010
660 Posts
January 02 2012 15:39 GMT
#1153
On January 03 2012 00:22 PassiveAce wrote:
Got another question.
Since iv been trying to learn dota2 iv been reading a great deal of playdota guides, which iv found to be really helpful. But when I came across the highest rated guide on Dragon Knight I was kind of skeptical of the role and build it laid out for him.
It basically says to play Dragon knight as a semi-carry, recommending items urn, HotD, Armlet, and later a satanic or other standard late game strength carry item. I just wanted to ask you more experienced players what you thought of this guide and if its worth using by a newbie like me.
Heres a link: http://www.playdota.com/guides/laying-all-to-burnination

Thanks again guys

Edit- o yeah, on a completely unrelated note, was their ever a version of dota where Dragon Knight had an ability that gave him extra gold? I vaguely remember playing Dragon Knight forever ago (never played much dota) and I remember an ability like that, was just curious how good my memory is.


IMO a layer of flexibility for DK lies in how much armor do you really need - if your enemy doesn't really scratch you with their physical attacks then it's enough if you get 50-60% of armor and leave it at that, and you get something else like hood vs spells or dps. In other words, don't get a HotD, Armlet and AC together because it's not worth stacking them, unless you've got other stuff already which makes them worth getting later into the game.
lozarian
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United Kingdom1043 Posts
January 02 2012 16:05 GMT
#1154
On January 03 2012 00:22 PassiveAce wrote:
Got another question.
Since iv been trying to learn dota2 iv been reading a great deal of playdota guides, which iv found to be really helpful. But when I came across the highest rated guide on Dragon Knight I was kind of skeptical of the role and build it laid out for him.
It basically says to play Dragon knight as a semi-carry, recommending items urn, HotD, Armlet, and later a satanic or other standard late game strength carry item. I just wanted to ask you more experienced players what you thought of this guide and if its worth using by a newbie like me.
Heres a link: http://www.playdota.com/guides/laying-all-to-burnination

Thanks again guys

Edit- o yeah, on a completely unrelated note, was their ever a version of dota where Dragon Knight had an ability that gave him extra gold? I vaguely remember playing Dragon Knight forever ago (never played much dota) and I remember an ability like that, was just curious how good my memory is.


Your memory is pretty spiffy. He used to have immolation, Dragon's greed, ancient form and fire breath. I believe it was pre 6.30 - but that's dredging from the back of my memory.
For every battle honour a thousand heroes die alone, unsung, and unremembered.
n0ise
Profile Joined April 2010
3452 Posts
January 03 2012 13:09 GMT
#1155
On January 03 2012 00:22 PassiveAce wrote:
Got another question.
Since iv been trying to learn dota2 iv been reading a great deal of playdota guides, which iv found to be really helpful. But when I came across the highest rated guide on Dragon Knight I was kind of skeptical of the role and build it laid out for him.
It basically says to play Dragon knight as a semi-carry, recommending items urn, HotD, Armlet, and later a satanic or other standard late game strength carry item. I just wanted to ask you more experienced players what you thought of this guide and if its worth using by a newbie like me.
Heres a link: http://www.playdota.com/guides/laying-all-to-burnination

Thanks again guys

Edit- o yeah, on a completely unrelated note, was their ever a version of dota where Dragon Knight had an ability that gave him extra gold? I vaguely remember playing Dragon Knight forever ago (never played much dota) and I remember an ability like that, was just curious how good my memory is.


You can go more ways, definitely don't think HotD fast is worth it, but Armlet sure.

The most popular build involves sth around BKB, bottle/wand then followed up by dps items in the forms of Hyperstone, HotD, possibly crit. Upside being that late on you can upgrade all three to better versions.
gnutz
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany666 Posts
January 03 2012 13:22 GMT
#1156
On January 02 2012 14:19 storm44 wrote:
So I'm trying to watch more vods of pro games and the only site I know so far is joindota.com and there is only like 1 per day and no new ones up for now. Could anyone help me find other sites like this, and if there are sites of replays of pro games that I could download that would be awesome too.

http://www.dotacommentaries.com/
DotA Dailies (but don't expect it to be so good as Day9 Commentary, it's more just like normal shoutcast)
Luminous Videos, very specific insight in the chinese DotA
etc.
DotA 1 and 2
Benjef
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom6921 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-03 20:12:17
January 03 2012 20:11 GMT
#1157
anyone elses dota crash when they double tap ` by mistake -.-?
<3 | Dota 2 | DayZ | <3
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
January 04 2012 04:15 GMT
#1158
Do you have to pay for Champions like you do on League of Legends? Or just skins? etc.

I'm getting utterly tired of League of Legends for various reasons and looking for a replacement.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
January 04 2012 04:26 GMT
#1159
On January 04 2012 13:15 jacosajh wrote:
Do you have to pay for Champions like you do on League of Legends? Or just skins? etc.

I'm getting utterly tired of League of Legends for various reasons and looking for a replacement.

Heroes are free. They're being ported over now.

Not sure if/when skins will be added.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
January 04 2012 04:29 GMT
#1160
Very nice to hear, especially after dumping a few hundred dollars into League of Legends.

The nicer interface, spectator mode, etc. is going to be a nice change.

Where is the best place to get a beta key? Is it even worth trying to pay for one on eBay?
Prev 1 56 57 58 59 60 1254 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 444
UpATreeSC 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1138
actioN 461
Dewaltoss 145
firebathero 91
Zeus 65
Trap 36
zelot 27
soO 25
Sexy 25
ToSsGirL 21
[ Show more ]
Bale 20
JYJ 19
Shine 18
NaDa 13
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7921
qojqva2095
Dendi733
420jenkins177
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1200
Fnx 727
x6flipin456
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6707
crisheroes5077
Liquid`Hasu743
Other Games
Beastyqt745
B2W.Neo592
ceh9495
byalli368
ArmadaUGS162
KnowMe148
C9.Mang0148
Khaldor128
TKL 118
BRAT_OK 79
Trikslyr56
Railgan10
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV264
BasetradeTV197
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream137
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 54
• Reevou 5
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 40
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• FirePhoenix12
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3921
• TFBlade925
Other Games
• WagamamaTV391
• Shiphtur342
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
5h 58m
Kung Fu Cup
16h 58m
Stellar Fest
18h 58m
The PondCast
1d 15h
OSC
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.